To play "The Game of Love" or not

FSRoberts

In 10 days I will be departing on my honeymoon cruise on the Splendor to New England and Canada. I was reading some of the more recent reviews, and one mentioned that they play the Game of Love, their newlywed game knock-off, but mixing in some longer term married couples. It also mentioned they had trouble finding newlyweds as this isn't the most popular honeymoon demographic. So I figure there is a good chance they may track us down for the game.

Yet we are somewhat shy people, and getting embarrassed on stage is not the most appealing. So, any advice? I suppose we could try and have some fun with it. But are there any pitfalls? Any goodies aside from some (probably bad) bubbly and a ship on a stick?

In 10 days I will be departing on my honeymoon cruise on the Splendor to New England and Canada. I was reading some of the more recent reviews, and one mentioned that they play the Game of Love, their newlywed game knock-off, but mixing in some longer term married couples. It also mentioned they had trouble finding newlyweds as this isn't the most popular honeymoon demographic. So I figure there is a good chance they may track us down for the game.

Yet we are somewhat shy people, and getting embarrassed on stage is not the most appealing. So, any advice? I suppose we could try and have some fun with it. But are there any pitfalls? Any goodies aside from some (probably bad) bubbly and a ship on a stick?

They will ask questions about a variety of topics including places where you have had sex and match the answers of you and your spouse. If you are easily embarrased skip it.

They will not track you down but if you are in the lounge and raise your hand and you are the newest married typically you will be picked.

The goodies are as you mentioned above.

I have yet to sail with this show and not seen an abundance of the newlyweds wanting to participate. Its the older one they have a hard time finding.

They will NOT hunt you down and make you participate.

you go when the show is happening and the CD will ask if there is any newlyweds in the audience-- he will then pick the newest newlywed

I think if you are shy this is NOT something you want to do as people will be talking to you the rest of the week

If you are easily embarrassed don't play this game. The questions can be especially embarrassing if you have friends in the audience.

.... or parents, or siblings, or children, or co-workers, or your pastor/priest/rabbi/imam, or the talkative old lady who lives down the street........

:eek:

If you are easily embarrassed don't play this game. The questions can be especially embarrassing if you have friends in the audience.

Oh God with the group of friends DW and I sail with. That would make the show even crazier *LOL*

Years ago my first wife and I went to a couples only resort in the Poconos. They had a Newlywed game type show we participated in. Some of the questions they asked put the cruise ships ones to shame .

Even the host, who had probably done this show 1000 times, had to shake his head at this group :)

Hey don't ask a question , unless you are really ready for the answer

we went our first cruise. There was a couple who were married on St Thomas, so were about 24 hours married. They got dressed up, primped up, made up because they knew they'd be picked.

It is very entertaining and funny. Me, I wouldn't participate. That's just not who I am. To watch, it was great.

Of you tell no one, no one will know. Unless you meet other people, tell them you are newlyweds, and sit with them in the lounge. They will then point you out.

But many times this is staged anyway. I can probably predict that the old couple will be a man who is a minister wearing boxers with hearts and comes out with his pants down at the end.

You would have to volunteer to be chosen to play. We missed being able to play by two hours (meaning we were married at 4 the day before and another couple was married at 6. I am not the "I want to be on stage type" but would love to one day be the middle or older couple on stage. We always make a point to go to the show so if you don't want to participate I would say go still for the entertainment.

It's also fun to take a couple of pieces of paper and pens with you, and play along. Not verbally read out your answers, but both of you write down your answers. Show each other what you wrote. It is a lot of fun to have your private game also. :D

I wouldn't do it...heck, I get embarrassed on behalf the couples who do, so I don't even go to the show! Sometimes I've caught parts of it when it's been replayed on the TV...bear that in mind... if you do it, you will be seen on every TV on the ship and you will most likely be on the video as well, if any responses are particularly funny or juicy.

They won't make you participate. The people who do seem to be fine with it, so surely they are outgoing volunteers.

I would do it but DW would never.

On a recent cruise with another couple would have gone up with our friends wife and made believe we were married and see if we could get every question totally wrong. Would have been a blast but we were not selected.

Did it on our first cruise was the middle couple. I'm kinda shy but my wife isn't. We had a great time but it's harder than it looks with the pressure of being on stage. The cruise director sometimes "helps out" with you answer. Be advised though, if it the show occurs early in the cruise, you will be famous for the week due to TV repeats in the cabin. All in all, I would do it again if selected.

Go for it....you're never going to see those people again...haha

Enjoy yourselves. The Love and Marriage game is my favorite show on any cruise

You think that but after one of our cruises, we drove 4 hours home. We stopped to eat before going to the house and bumped into someone we had met on the ship. Small world!

It's also fun to take a couple of pieces of paper and pens with you, and play along. Not verbally read out your answers, but both of you write down your answers. Show each other what you wrote. It is a lot of fun to have your private game also. :D

Great idea!

I say "go for it". Hubby and I are both shy folks and we not only survived as the newlywed couple, but I'm pretty sure we beat everyone else on stage! But mostly, we have a crazy once-in-a-lifetime memory to look back on and laugh at. You only have to divulge as much as you want in your answers.

Do it! Every time I look at our ship on a stick it makes me smile!

I will add though - you will get sick to death of seeing yourself played over and over again on the Carnival channel during the cruise. But that's easy enough to turn off or turn the channel. Oh, and yes - you will get recognized around the ship for the week. :)

There were several newlywed couples on Splendor on 9/1 and one did participate. I've seen the show on different cruises and it can be very funny.

If you are sensitive in any way to "jokes", skip it. If not, it's fun!

I've seen mild to X-rated so be prepared!!

We did this on our Honeymoon Cruise. It was fun. As I recall the show was replayed often on the cabin TVs. I don't imagine anyone watched it, but it was there. We're not the type to get embarrassed, so it was a good time. It was one of FOUR bottles of champagne that we were gifted with while on board (piano bar on embarkation night, the show, at our dinner table by our table mates, and a couple that we "loaned" our balcony to).

Now that we're 8 years in we might qualify as not-so-newlywed and play again!

We were given a copy of the video, but I have no idea where it is today.