Princess crew member calls Carnival a rust bucket??

Tapi

Wise up, people, in this day and age, it's all about branding.

Politicians know it. They can call out a competitor as hating the poor, women, ect, and, whether it's true or not, most people will remember the words said, than look up the facts.

The Wal-Mart of cruising, -that quote was most likely not made up by someone impartial either

Hi:

We are on our first Princess cruise aboard Golden Princess, and just returned from the lifeboat drill.

It was held at a full main theater, and while we waited, one of the crew members entertained the passengers by making funny comments and asking them questions, like where they were from, if this was their first cruise, etc, etc.

Long story short, he asked if anybody had cruised before but NOT on Princess (a lot of people had). He then followed the question up by saying "Hopefully your previous cruises were not on that RUST bucket, Carnival. If they were, your opinion about cruising is about to be greatly improved". :eek: There were a handful of chuckles from the crowd, but you could also hear a lot of murmuring.

Now is it me, or was that comment from this crew member highly unprofessional, even if he was trying to be funny?? Even if Princess is indeed an improvement over Carnival, I considered this comment to be uncalled for, specially when Princess and Carnival are sister ships, owned by the same corporation. Thoughts?

Our departure has been delayed until 9:00pm for "technical reasons", which is why I'm taking a moment to write this post. Besides the comment from that crew member, the experience has been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not only was it highly unprofessional, but seeing as your departure was delayed by "technical" problems very ironic.

Hi:

We are on our first Princess cruise aboard Golden Princess, and just returned from the lifeboat drill.

It was held at a full main theater, and while we waited, one of the crew members entertained the passengers by making funny comments and asking them questions, like where they were from, if this was their first cruise, etc, etc.

Long story short, he asked if anybody had cruised before but NOT on Princess (a lot of people had). He then followed the question up by saying "Hopefully your previous cruises were not on that RUST bucket, Carnival. If they were, your opinion about cruising is about to be greatly improved". :eek: There were a handful of chuckles from the crowd, but you could also hear a lot of murmuring.

Now is it me, or was that comment from this crew member highly unprofessional, even if he was trying to be funny?? Even if Princess is indeed an improvement over Carnival, I considered this comment to be uncalled for, specially when Princess and Carnival are sister ships, owned by the same corporation. Thoughts?

Our departure has been delayed until 9:00pm for "technical reasons", which is why I'm taking a moment to write this post. Besides the comment from that crew member, the experience has been great.

He apparently feels Princess is a better line, or simply has a beef with Carnival, the cruise line. He just did it in an antagonizing way. Speaks to his maturity level. Comedians do this all the time as well. Perhaps it was a line right out of something he saw right in his ship.

In any case, it's simply one opinion. Don't lose any sleep over it.

That was my point, nor would I have started a thread on CC about it. I don't think Tapi is offended as much as bored that the cruise vaca hasn't started yet! :)

Exactly. Not important enough to complain about on the ship yet significant enough to start a gossip/complaint thread on CC? How is that going to improve Princess?

I would let it go...I am sure they were just trying to be funny, not worth reporting in my opinion. It also could have just been a nervous off the cuff comment made by someone speaking in front of strangers. You know how great Carnival is so that is all that really matters.

Humor sometimes can be cutting edge, and companies are always belittling their competitors, but I think the crew member probably overstepped his bounds.

Yes I believe you're right. There's a time and a place for humor like that but it's not during a safety briefing

Hi:

I am a princess platinum member and sailed on Carnival 3x's.

The crew member must have been promoted to Princess cruise line since Princess crew members are constantly painting, de-rusting, varnishing the wood, washing floors, cleaning windows. Ships are spotless.

On Carnival we rarely saw that. Painting peeling, chipping. Rust on balconies, public spaces, dirty windows, etc.

Perhaps that crew member needs a reminder that Carnival Corp owns Princess. It's in Princess' best interest financial if Carnival does well.

Plus, every cruiseline is right for someone. Just because I'm not interested in RCL, Princess or NCL right now doesn't mean they're bad cruiselines. They just aren't what I want at this point.

I find all the preconceived notions about Carnival to be rather annoying personally. Most of the time, it's someone who heard from their second cousin who heard from their coworker , etc... Or they went on one 4 day cruise in the 80s during spring break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh please, yes some members of the Fantasy class are older as cruise ships go and may not have the biggest and best features but the ships are still relevant and can hardly be considered dated as they continue to attract millions of passengers and successfully serve the all important short cruise market, while consistently providing a steady source of revenue. Also, stating that these "old ships" are the reason that some people equate the Carnival brand with Walmart/trashy people is ridiculous.

P.S. I'm in college now and my I wish my room was this nice:

Balcony%20cabinpg-vertical.jpg

Funny thing about Princess, they cruise with an older demographic in mind, and yet almost all the inside cabins have bunks. If you want a sleeper sofa or couch, you have to book a suite.

Carnival still gives you an inside cabin with sleeper sofas or couch for a reasonable price.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

Sent from my iPod

Edited by ccruisequeen

Wise up, people, in this day and age, it's all about branding.

Politicians know it. They can call out a competitor as hating the poor, women, ect, and, whether it's true or not, most people will remember the words said, than look up the facts.

The Wal-Mart of cruising, -that quote was most likely not made up by someone impartial either

To paraphrase you, "Wake up. Some people still have standards."

In my profession, not only would it be unprofessional, but illegal for me to bad mouth or otherwise speak in a derogatory manner about my competition.

Funny thing about Princess, they cruise with an older demographic in mind, and yet almost all the inside cabins have bunks. If you want a sleeper sofa or couch, you have to book a suite.

Carnival still gives you an inside cabin with sleeper sofas or couch for a reasonable price.

True!

Princess gives more storage within the cabin.

Carnival does have nice size cabins compared to Princess,

however Princess doesn't have black ring stains inside the toilets like Carnival does.

I'd take it as just a lame joke and move on. Similar to the time we were docked and a bunch of people were on deck watching as several police cars came wailing toward the pier. A crew member cracked "Well, there is a Carnival ship in port". lol. I am pretty sure it is all supposed to be in good fun.

Funny you should say that. On our Carnival cruise to Catalina we talked to an LA sheriff for a while and he said he has arrested more people off of the Imagination than he has with tourists just coming over from the mainland. And he said most of them were women. That does say something about the passengers off a cruise ship.

Oh I know. Part of me feels the same way as you. Carnival has become a target for jokes and comments of this kind recently, and I'll admit to laugh along when the media pokes fun at them. Like you say, Carnival is an inanimate object.

What I had an issue with was not the comment that was made, it's who it came from; a crew member who works for the same corporation. IMHO it lacked professionalism.

Maybe it's because of my line of work, since I'm in the airline industry. We are not allowed to make comments of this kind and in fact, I could be disciplined for it. :(

BTW, the reason why I'm replying even though it's the next morning is because we are STILL docked in Los Angeles because the ship is having mechanical issues. Ironic, isn't it?

Find that crew member and ask him when this Princess rust bucket is going to get underway.

While it is tacky and unprofessional in my opinion, I have heard jokes made about other lines on Carnival ships as well.... I guess they think it's "funny" to take pot shots at the competition. I ignore it....just like I would any comment by any comedian that doesn't go along with my thoughts/feelings. Any of them will eventually say something that is offensive to someone! That's what comedian's do!

debbie

While it is tacky and unprofessional in my opinion, I have heard jokes made about other lines on Carnival ships as well.... I guess they think it's "funny" to take pot shots at the competition. I ignore it....just like I would any comment by any comedian that doesn't go along with my thoughts/feelings. Any of them will eventually say something that is offensive to someone! That's what comedian's do!

debbie

Again i am sure that arnold Donald CEO of carnival corp appreciates his crew making fun of sister brands within the corporation. Yes john heald has taken shots at RCI and ncl but never a brand within carnival corp.