If Royal and Carnival merged...

klfhngr

Never will happen, due to anti trust laws. The US government would not allow that to happen.

Not sure if they truly wanted to merge that the US government would try to stop it.

However as they are both multi-national company's they could both just relocate to Asia and the US would have no say whatsoever!

Look what happened when the big airlines merged .

Rates are up

Fees for changes and baggage were added

Service dried up .

Don't worry , won't happen to the 2 big players in cruising , Carnival Corp and RCI .

The consolidations that made them what they are , happened years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

They were minutes from doing so at one point (see Devils on the Deep Blue Sea: The Dreams, Schemes, and Showdowns That Built America's Cruise-Ship Empires by Kristoffer A. Garin).

I think it would have been terrible for the industry at that point, and probably even worse today.

Competition is a good thing.

Several years ago, we were on the Enchantment and John and Katrina Blair were CD and AD. They showed a film about the beginnings of Royal Caribbean and at one point Carnival and Royal were linked. Then at some point Royal split and became it's own company. I'm not sure how it all happened, but it was a very interesting film. They have the rights to the film, since they put it together. They had been with Royal almost from the start (at the time they made the film it was 26 yrs.) Don't know where they are now or if they are still in the cruise industry. I sure wish they would show that film on all the ships. It was really great. We found out the Admiral Cruise Line was owned by Royal at one point and we even got some cruise points by being on one of their ships (Emerald Seas). I just called and asked. It was only about 3 or 4 points, but hey, points are points.

Gwen :)

Several years ago, we were on the Enchantment and John and Katrina Blair were CD and AD. They showed a film about the beginnings of Royal Caribbean and at one point Carnival and Royal were linked. Then at some point Royal split and became it's own company. I'm not sure how it all happened, but it was a very interesting film. They have the rights to the film, since they put it together. They had been with Royal almost from the start (at the time they made the film it was 26 yrs.) Don't know where they are now or if they are still in the cruise industry. I sure wish they would show that film on all the ships. It was really great. We found out the Admiral Cruise Line was owned by Royal at one point and we even got some cruise points by being on one of their ships (Emerald Seas). I just called and asked. It was only about 3 or 4 points, but hey, points are points.

Carnival and RCCL have never been linked. Carnival tried to purchase RCCL and failed. As mentioned above, read the book "Devils on the Deep Blue Sea". The entire story is explained.

As others have stated, it won't happen. Thank goodness.

Carnival and RCCL have never been linked. Carnival tried to purchase RCCL and failed.

If that's the case, then maybe that is the link I remember them talking about. I know they were talking about Carnival and Royal together at some point. Maybe it was in that capacity. Thanks for the information. I'll look up that book. Sounds like an interesting read.

If that's the case, then maybe that is the link I remember them talking about. I know they were talking about Carnival and Royal together at some point. Maybe it was in that capacity. Thanks for the information. I'll look up that book. Sounds like an interesting read.

It's a very good book but it shows a different side of the cruise industry. There is no love between RCCL and Carnival.

They were minutes from doing so at one point (see Devils on the Deep Blue Sea: The Dreams, Schemes, and Showdowns That Built America's Cruise-Ship Empires by Kristoffer A. Garin).

I think it would have been terrible for the industry at that point, and probably even worse today.

Competition is a good thing.

I just finished reading that for the second time, and on my first cruise no less. If Carnival had succeeded in purchasing the then-fledgling Royal Caribbean, I wonder what other line might have rose to power?

You may have been thinking of the link between NCL and Carnival. NCL was founded by Knut Kloster and Ted Arison. Arison then left to start Carnival.

You may have been thinking of the link between NCL and Carnival. NCL was founded by Knut Kloster and Ted Arison. Arison then left to start Carnival.

No, it was a documentary about the beginning of Royal Caribbean and there was a connection or mention about Carnival being involved somehow. Probably what "cruisingator2" mentioned. Carnival wanting to purchase Royal.