First Time on P&O Questions

kayelbee

Hi. I will be a first time on P&O in January 2015 on the Oriana but I have travelled 6 times on Princess. I have a couple of questions regarding P&O as I do not want to get it wrong on board! Sorry I assume they have been asked before but I have done some searches but would like a bit more info.

Bringing alcohol on board at Southampton and during cruise: I have read the policy and it is not clear what alcoholic drinks I can bring on board.

Can I bring e.g. 3 or 4 bottles of wine on board at embarkation per passenger and can I bring a bottle on board at other stops?

can I bring spirits on board again either at embarkation or other stops?

Dress Code:

Hubby doesn't have and doesn't want to have or hire a tux, He does have a dark charcoal grey suit, would he be able to wear this on both Formal and Smart nights. I assume he won't be refused service at a bar but would this cause any problems at the MDR. If he didn't want to wear the suit on smart nights but wore smart trousers, long sleeve shirt and tie would he be allowed in the MDR or would it be buffet or specialty restaurant be a better idea? I am happy to wear a long dress on formal night and cocktail address on smart nights.

Many Thanks in advance for you help.

Dress Code

There are 3 dress codes on the Oriana, unless things have changed since April.Your husband can wear a dark suit instead of a tux on Formal evenings. On Jacket required evenings which is perhaps what you mean by smart nights, he will, as is said require a jacket. The only evening men do not require a jacket is on smart casual evenings.

Thought I'd better check. The Dress Codes are now called, Black tie, Smart Jacket required and Evening casual. Since they changed them I seem to get them mixed up with the old dress codes.:) but as I've said the only night a jacket isn't required is the casual night.

Many thanks for your informative and prompt replies.

Just a couple of further questions about dress code.

If my husband won't wear a jacket on Smart Jacket nights but does wear a shirt and tie would he be refused a drink at the bar or would he be frowned upon? I understand the MDR would expect a jacket and he would not be allowed to enter unless correctly addressed.

What time of day are people generally expected to be dressed for dinner on formal and smart jacket evenings. I have very often seen people dressed for dinner in tux etc at 5pm when we don't eat until 8pm and I don't want to pop in for a drink at the bar only to be refused or looked down upon because we are not suitably dressed.

Cheers!

The dress code applies to the main and speciality restaurants and also to Andersons and the Crows Nest. It applies from 6pm.

It does not apply to the Lords Tavern (pub) or the Conservatory self service restaurant.

Brian

Once again thank you all for your great replies.

PurpleMoonlight, sorry if I gave the impression he wasn't willing to dress up. He has been on as many cruises and because of that we are aware that different lines have different 'rules' and we didn't want to get it wrong. He doesn't want to wear a tux and from what I have heard from fellow cruise critic members a dark suit will be OK albeit he may be in the minority but that's no problem. He is more than happy to wear a jacket on smart jacket nights. The questions were asked so as not to offend whilst onboard and not to assume that P&O will be the same as Princess who we have previously cruised with. I am glad I did ask as on formal nights on Princess it is quite acceptable, but in the vast minority, to attend bars in a long sleeve shirt and tie and, at the say so of the maitre'd, attend the MDR after 8pm in shirt sleeves/tie/formal trousers.

I do agree that the dressing up is part of the experience and now we are fully aware of the 'rules' we are looking forward to our first P&O criuse.

Ti

Once again thank you all for your great replies.

PurpleMoonlight, sorry if I gave the impression he wasn't willing to dress up. He been on as many cruises and because of that we are aware that different lines have different 'rules' and we didn't want to get it wrong. He doesn't want to wear a tux and from what I have heard from fellow cruise critic members a dark suit will be OK albeit he may be in the minority but that's no problem. He is more than happy to wear a jacket on smart jacket nights. The questions were asked so as not to offend whilst onboard and not to assume that P&O will be the same as Princess who we have previously cruised with. I am glad I did ask as on formal nights on Princess it is quite acceptable, but in the vast minority, to attend bars in a long sleeve shirt and tie and, at the say so of the maitre'd, attend the MDR after 8pm in shirt sleeves/tie/formal trousers.

I do agree that the dressing up is part of the experience and now we are fully aware of the 'rules' we are looking forward to our first P&O criuse.

On my recent cruise on Azura there was notices at the entrance to the venues that required adherence to the dress code. So if notice is taken there will be no embarrassment when ordering drinks.

On Smart nights my husband wore his suit with an open neck shirt ie no tie because he doesn't have a jacket/blazer as such.

You will find that on Oriana the dress code is followed quite strictly. She retains a traditional atmosphere and following.

Enjoy!

All the P&O cruises have the dress-codes mentioned in replies to your question. However if this helps, there is always a 'Black and White' formal night, Gents in tux or smart suit with either white shirt/black tie or even black shirt/white tie.

B/W gown for ladies.

There is also (weather permitting) a 'Hawaiian night' i.e Hawaiian shirt and a 60s/70s night (not age group but dance genre),

I never came across anyone not being served drinks due to their attire - the P&O brochure makes it clear.

I suppose it is only the self-service buffet restaurant where you can wear pretty much anything but it such a shame not to dress-up for the cruise. However everyone has their own tastes. Enjoy

Good evening

Two firsts for me, first time cruising with P&O and first time doing a back to back cruise.

We are on Azura this week and really looking forward to it. My question is...can anyone tell me what happens on the changeover day? Luckily our cabin for the second cruise is two doors away from the first cabin, so will we be able to leave our luggage in the first cabin until the second one is ready?

Do we have to disembark?

Grateful for any replies or advice.

Loraine

Good evening

Two firsts for me, first time cruising with P&O and first time doing a back to back cruise.

We are on Azura this week and really looking forward to it. My question is...can anyone tell me what happens on the changeover day? Luckily our cabin for the second cruise is two doors away from the first cabin, so will we be able to leave our luggage in the first cabin until the second one is ready?

Do we have to disembark?

Loraine

Not done a B2B on P&O but have done so on Princess, we had to disembark and get back on due to the fact that the ship was on US waters and the whole ship had to clear customs before new boarding was allowed, this was just a formality and took 45 mins in total.

Re the change of cabin, your steward should come along with a rail and you should just move all your hangered clothing on the rail from one cabin to the other rather than a full unpack and repack.

You wont be able to access your second cabin until its had its clean but if you ask nicely and the cabin for your second cruise is vacated early they should clean/service that one first so its ready for you ASAP and maybe let you hold on to your first cabin until the second is ready.

Good evening

Do we have to disembark?

Loraine

Good morning Lyndhurst, we are doing some B2B next year on P&O and have been told we don't have to get off if we don't want to, each time we come into Southampton. We have to pick up our new cruise cards from reception and use the crew exit to leave and enter the ship in Southampton. Please let us know when you get back how smoothly it works. Have a great cruise.:)

I did a back to back in July and as it was raining did not get off the ship. The hotel manager should contact you a couple of days before arrival to arrange the cabin move. I had to remind reception. Anyway, a time for the move was arranged and when I arrived 15 mins early everything had already gone, all i had to move was the contents of the safe and my personal papers. That morning i popped down to reception and got my new cruise card.

Same here. He managed to get a suit that easily doubled as really formal with a dress shirt and bow tie, and was also very suitable for smart nights.

Well, I couldn't tell it wasn't an actual dress suit!:)

I don't have a Dinner Jacket, I just wear a suit like that - dress shirt and bow tie, and no-one seems to mind.

I rather get the impression they aren't literalistic about it ; it is being seen to make the effort to smarten up that matters.

I don't have a Dinner Jacket, I just wear a suit like that - dress shirt and bow tie, and no-one seems to mind.

I rather get the impression they aren't literalistic about it ; it is being seen to make the effort to smarten up that matters.

some time ago P&O in their peninsular club magazine they had a feature where a couple were dressed up for dinner by a clothes guru of some kind.

Guess what, the man was given a navy blue suit rather than a dinner jacket and he looked really smart :) This was good enough for me so now my preferred outfit is a navy blue suit. If P&O did it it must be OK ;)

ps - I prefer coloured shirts and traditional ties. IMO more opportunity for individuality. Blue or pink go well with navy blue.

Good evening

Do we have to disembark?

Loraine

We have done a couple of b2b. I think it depends on the ship as to how much of the moving you have to do yourselves.

Housekeeping will contact you a couple of days before to arrange.

As a rule anything on the rails will be moved for you. We had to pack remainder in cases and we chose to wheel them to the new cabin.

You can stay onboard during turnaround...I spent my last one in the laundry doing all my washing!!!!

You will also be very surprised with the small gap between people getting off the 1st cruise, and those boarding for the 2nd.

I also find it a good time to wander round taking pix in the ship.

You will need to get a new cruise card from reception. I would suggest before the hoardes boarding for the 2nd cruise go there.

Your bill from the 1st cruise will be taken,as normal on the last morning , then you start spending on the new cruise card. Enjoy

• 3 weeks later...
Good morning Lyndhurst, we are doing some B2B next year on P&O and have been told we don't have to get off if we don't want to, each time we come into Southampton. We have to pick up our new cruise cards from reception and use the crew exit to leave and enter the ship in Southampton. Please let us know when you get back how smoothly it works. Have a great cruise.:)

Hi, just to let you know that we had a wonderful B2B cruise :D and to say thank you to everyone who gave me information beforehand about the B2B change over. As the first one was a 2 nighter it was definitely more lively!

It all went really smoothly. We were contacted by the hotel manager the day before and also informed by our cabin steward that he would help with the move. We also received a written note that evening, on the bed with our chocolates, explaining that we should go to guest services for our new cruise cards the following morning.

The steward in fact had the new cabin ready by 8am as we were about to go to breakfast so as there were 4 of us we actually moved all our luggage in minutes rather than the steward having to do it as he was extremely busy (still tipped him for getting the cabin ready so early, in fact he was great and our steward for both cruises)

We got to explore more of Azura before the next cruisers boarded, and as "the english lady" said, it was a very short gap. We also got to take a lot of photos too.

We didn't go ashore as it was a dull and wet day in Southampton, in fact we didn't have great weather until we reached Lisbon on the 2nd cruise, and it was a very bumpy ride for the 2 days (and nights). After that the rest of the cruise reached 30 degrees on a couple of days and mid 20's for the rest, so we were very lucky.

We enjoyed our first cruise with P&O, loved Azura and will no doubt cruise with them again.

Thanks again for all the info.

Loraine

I had to smile when I saw your cabin was ready very early.

I wonder if they wanted on our cabin on Oriana for someone on a b2b.... our steward came in while we were sitting there (before leaving time) and stripped our bed and the bedding was round our feet!! :rolleyes:

We still laugh and wonder..... had we overslept would he have tipped us out?

On the Oriana I have seen quite a few people without jackets refused entry to the Crow's Nest. Those wearing jeans have been asked to leave, whereas those who have had smart trousers on suddenly find a jacket is bought out from the back and placed over the back of the seat - I only counted two jackets from the back - don't know how many they have.