Kidless Ships

Gerko

I don't know how accurate it is but I was told be a cruise line ex-staffer that each ship actually has a maximum number of passengers that it is allowed to carry, regardless of the number of beds and that on most ships that was more or less based on 2 per cabin.

That is one of the points I was making. According to the captain of one of the ships we have sailed on, there is a maximum number of people permitted to be on board by International Law. Deduct the number of crew and you have the number of passengers, regardless of the number of beds.

Have you tried a Holland America cruise? The two cruises we have been on with HAL, we have not experienced many children, only teenager's that have been well behaved. Just booked our third cruise with HAL, would not use any other line.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

That is one of the points I was making. According to the captain of one of the ships we have sailed on, there is a maximum number of people permitted to be on board by International Law. Deduct the number of crew and you have the number of passengers, regardless of the number of beds.

It's not a law for ships, but to comply with regulations, for example that they have enough life preservations equipment onboard (not necessarily lifeboats), that there is enough capacity in cabins to hold and evacuate people and so on. e.g. by reconfiguring they can change the maximum number permitted.

That's as I understand it too. I was told by one crew member that a particular ship ended up overbooked by 2, so two crew were given time off with pay rather than bump just 2, not sure how true that was he seemed to tell some rather implausible stories.

It's not a law for ships, but to comply with regulations, for example that they have enough life preservations equipment onboard (not necessarily lifeboats), that there is enough capacity in cabins to hold and evacuate people and so on. e.g. by reconfiguring they can change the maximum number permitted.

Again I understand that they can reconfigure and add capacity, but at any capacity there is actually a lmit that is not related to the number of beds they have, I do not actually know what the precise criteria is, however I suspect that it is not how many life preserving devices they have, rather they have to have a percentage of life preservers, again I was told [i don't claim it to be correct] that it is something like 125 or 150%

Capacity and maximum capacity can be confusing (as you said). For instance, the old Regal Princess, now Pacific Dawn, had a small number of upper berths added but there were already a lot of four berth cabins. People who have been on the ship would know that some cabins have beds that retract into the ceiling (old four berth) and others that fold up onto the side wall (added berths). Some people quote "floor-level berths" (1,596 for Pacific Dawn) thinking that that was the total number of berths. Pacific Dawn now has 1,950 total berths. From what I have seen, many four berth cabins have only two people in and some other cabins have a single occupant. I do not think any cruiseship would ever have all berths occupied. :)

There is also a maximum number of people (passengers plus crew) permitted by law to be on a ship. With the two new ships coming into the P&O fleet, we don't know how much lee-way they would have between the current number of berths and the maximum that would be allowed.

Makes sense, I just wish they would report both.:D

I doubt it, otherwise holiday apartments and resorts would not be able to offer kid-free environments, and the place I've been staying at in Port Douglas for the past 10 years is definitely kid-free.

On Hamilton Island, the Beach Club is kid free as well, I know I've stayed across the road from it, my kids are 13 and 16 and no under 18's allowed..fair enough I say!

Again I understand that they can reconfigure and add capacity, but at any capacity there is actually a lmit that is not related to the number of beds they have, I do not actually know what the precise criteria is, however I suspect that it is not how many life preserving devices they have, rather they have to have a percentage of life preservers, again I was told [i don't claim it to be correct] that it is something like 125 or 150%

Yes, it's not a 1 for 1 match, and not based on beds. It's standard to have more beds than places to allow for e.g. cabins being out of service, and twins/solos occupying cabins with greater capacity.

I do think that it depends on the itinerary and the line.

I agree, and I also agree with Di. Parents need to supervise their kids when that are not in the kids club.

We have never had a problem on Princess but when we went on Voyager of the Seas in the school holidays it was feral. Mind you along side all the badly behaved children were equally badly behaved adults.

I have mixed feelings about an adult only ship as obviously it would exclude my family as we travel with our daughter. I don't want to mix with badly behaved kids myself and can understand wanting peace on holiday.

I have generally found Princess good and most parents supervise their children well if they are not in the kids club. The kids club is usually excellent so you hardly see any kids around the ship anyway. I don't want my child roaming around the ship on her own and mixing with groups of kids causing problems for other cruisers so I supervise her closely. There is also the issue of tours and my daughter has been talked to extensively about behaving well on the ship and on tours and knows that other people are on their vacation and do not want it spoilt.

If you cruise on Carnival and P&O oz you are bound to have these issues especially in the school holidays.

Edited by silverwillow

I have mixed feelings about an adult only ship as obviously it would exclude my family as we travel with our daughter. I don't want to mix with badly behaved kids myself and can understand wanting peace on holiday.

If the cruise lines just had some cruises that were kid-free, outside of school holidays, then there would be options for everyone. Princess, say, could do a South Pacific cruise, and a NZ cruise (different ships maybe) in October/November, and again in February/March. That would still leave plenty of cruising time for families.

Have you tried a Holland America cruise? The two cruises we have been on with HAL, we have not experienced many children, only teenager's that have been well behaved. Just booked our third cruise with HAL, would not use any other line.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

You'll have to have a birthday cake with your breakfast, before you disembark, for such a special birthday!

If the cruise lines just had some cruises that were kid-free, outside of school holidays, then there would be options for everyone. Princess, say, could do a South Pacific cruise, and a NZ cruise (different ships maybe) in October/November, and again in February/March. That would still leave plenty of cruising time for families.

It could, but I think there's a reason it's not around, which is that it would cause complications for everyone. People wouldn't know without checking exactly which cruises on the same ship had which rules, so many would make assumptions based on past experience, what they'd heard and so on without realising. There's also complications e.g. in B2Bs

For example, if they tried marketing it, then it would discourage families from other times of the year as they just got the general impression, no kids. Result: revenue fall at peak times.

Or they don't market it at all, in which case what's the point.

One issue here is everyone has a differing perception and tolerance for what constitutes bad behaviour. Even I would have a difference in opinion depending on my mood or attitude and the time and place where it occurs.

E.g. a toddler squealing while playing in the pool with their parent. One person may feel that a child (toddler) is out of control and disturbing everyone while another will think it sweet that the child is having so much fun.

Hmm -- I am no lover of children at all especially other people's grand-children.-- or is it their doting Grand-parents that I am not fond of?? !!! BUT - have never had any kind of problems with kids onboard any of our cruises - including a recent Carnival Spirit cruise. Indeed, I must be changing in my old age because i fear that I have lately been actually enjoying seeing the little nippers having a good time. Wife and I always make a point of going to see the children's "show" if they put one on - usually the best entertainment on the cruise !! :)

Barry

Hmm -- I am no lover of children at all especially other people's grand-children.-- or is it their doting Grand-parents that I am not fond of?? !!! BUT - have never had any kind of problems with kids onboard any of our cruises - including a recent Carnival Spirit cruise. Indeed, I must be changing in my old age because i fear that I have lately been actually enjoying seeing the little nippers having a good time. Wife and I always make a point of going to see the children's "show" if they put one on - usually the best entertainment on the cruise !! :)

Barry

Those shows can be hilarious, we have caught a few in the past but as they do not always advertise them, you really need to keep an eye out for them.:D