Kidless Ships

Gerko

Just a bit off topic but could be relevant down the track

Air asia now provide a whole passenger section in their aircraft as kid free zones

I think they are the first airline to do so

You never know..the cruise lines may eventually do something similar

John

For an extra $21, you can fly Scoot in Silence. I flew from the Gold Coast to Singapore in this section and it was the best extra $21 I ever spent on travel!

ScootinSilence (Yellow)

Want to Scoot in peace and quiet? Now you can, in our ScootinSilence cabin (rows 21 to 25) just behind the ScootBiz cabin! Besides the exclusivity and privacy that you'll enjoy in the ScootinSilence cabin as under 12's will be someplace else, you'll also get extra legroom, as each seat is either Super or S-T-R-E-T-C-H, offering at least 35” pitch – 4 more inches than the standard economy seat!

http://www.flyscoot.com

Agree it would be nice to have a child free cruise ship cruising from Australia.

As others have said, well behaved children aren't a problem, it is their parents.

Edited by MMDown Under

A line with less kids, at least none that run around unsupervised, often no kids at all: Oceania. I have seen their ship Regatta in Sydney and in New Zealand. Home port is Miami, but they cruise world wide.

I know what you mean with kids in the buffet grabbing food with their hands, running down the stairs without looking, and best of all, sitting in the hot tub with dripping ice cream cones. Parents next to them with umbrella drinks.

A line with less kids, at least none that run around unsupervised, often no kids at all: Oceania. I have seen their ship Regatta in Sydney and in New Zealand. Home port is Miami, but they cruise world wide.

I know what you mean with kids in the buffet grabbing food with their hands, running down the stairs without looking, and best of all, sitting in the hot tub with dripping ice cream cones. Parents next to them with umbrella drinks.

Yes we are cruising with Regent over the Christmas New Year period so we are looking forward to the same thing but it's twice the price of a suite on RCI, etc. and most Australians/NZers can't or won't pay that sort of price.

Cheers

Di

:D

Yes we are cruising with Regent over the Christmas New Year period so we are looking forward to the same thing but it's twice the price of a suite on RCI, etc. and most Australians/NZers can't or won't pay that sort of price.

Cheers

Di

We disembarked Regent Navigator 3 weeks ago in New York, no children at all.

As a side issue, the ship carries 490 passengers out of which 150 where Australians, so not sure about can't or won't pay the price.

Enjoy your cruise, the staff are fantastic, the food is fabulous:D

Never really had any problem with kids ona cruise, but then don't find kds a problem as a rule.

I do think that it depends on the itinerary and the line.

Our first cruise [Pacific Princess] we were late 30's early 40's and there were only about 10 passengers younger than us on the whole ship. However our first P&O had a lot of kids but they were fine. I think that in Aus you'll get a lot more kids on Carnival and P&O, especially in school holidays, than with say Celebrity, HAL or Princess.

Not what I have heard Big M, capacity is being increased by 200 to 300 by fit out of additional bunks to 'friendly 4 cabins.'

We'll have to see when the final deck plans come out. Last releases I read had them the same. But plans change so who knows... the trend is more cabins across all mainstream lines.

Edited by The_Big_M

For an extra $21, you can fly Scoot in Silence. I flew from the Gold Coast to Singapore in this section and it was the best extra $21 I ever spent on travel!

ScootinSilence (Yellow)

Want to Scoot in peace and quiet? Now you can, in our ScootinSilence cabin (rows 21 to 25) just behind the ScootBiz cabin! Besides the exclusivity and privacy that you'll enjoy in the ScootinSilence cabin as under 12's will be someplace else, you'll also get extra legroom, as each seat is either Super or S-T-R-E-T-C-H, offering at least 35” pitch – 4 more inches than the standard economy seat!

http://www.flyscoot.com

Agree it would be nice to have a child free cruise ship cruising from Australia.

As others have said, well behaved children aren't a problem, it is their parents.

Just like a kidless premium economy then, tempting:D

Just like a kidless premium economy then, tempting:D

Does sound like PE, they don't fly all the way to London Heathrow do they? Am looking for flights next Sept, returning in November. Thinking Cathay PE through HK, hope the natives settle down but.

Is Scoot owned by Singapore A/L ?

Edited by NSWP

Does sound like PE, they don't fly all the way to London Heathrow do they? Am looking for flights next Sept, returning in November. Thinking Cathay PE through HK, hope the natives settle down but.

I am pretty sure it is Singapore's budget airline, however, not sure if you can get it all the way to London.

No, they fly just to Asia. More like Premium Budget, where you pay for extras, such as silence rows (just behind Business), more room, extra luggage allowance, food, etc.

Yes, Scoot is owned by Singapore Airlines.

Last two times I flew to London, I flew Cathay, which is an excellent airline.

I don't understand the "Silent Rows".

I haven't flown for years, due to health issues, so how does it work.

I've been up the point end when a baby has started crying at the other end and I could hear it just fine.

It seems to me that a plane is too small for it to really work. Thus not worth the $$$.

Anyone help?

I don't understand the "Silent Rows".

I haven't flown for years, due to health issues, so how does it work.

I've been up the point end when a baby has started crying at the other end and I could hear it just fine.

It seems to me that a plane is too small for it to really work. Thus not worth the $$$.

Anyone help?

Have you seen Get Smart? they use the cone of silence over the front half of the plane.:p

I think a adults only ship is a good idea as long as there will also be a under 60's ship as well.

Don't think it is fair to discriminate against all children when some older adults are just as annoying..... JMO

Maybe there should be a zero tolerance policy for unsupervised children though, not fair on others nor is it safe.

I think a adults only ship is a good idea as long as there will also be a under 60's ship as well.

Don't think it is fair to discriminate against all children when some older adults are just as annoying..... JMO

Unfortunately there are annoying people of all ages so that sort of cut-off probably isn't relevant. I was on a tour once where the annoying people were in their 40s or 50s.

Maybe there should be a zero tolerance policy for unsupervised children though, not fair on others nor is it safe.

Also children that are allowed to accompany their parents to areas that are suited to their behaviour - such as a squealer in a quiet area.

Unfortunately there are annoying people of all ages so that sort of cut-off probably isn't relevant. I was on a tour once where the annoying people were in their 40s or 50s.

Also children that are allowed to accompany their parents to areas that are suited to their behaviour - such as a squealer in a quiet area.

Generally I find that it is always other people that are annoying and rarely me or my friends.:p Funnily enough, others might feel the same way.:eek:

Edited by MicCanberra

We'll have to see when the final deck plans come out. Last releases I read had them the same. But plans change so who knows... the trend is more cabins across all mainstream lines.
Yeah, from what I understand, P&O aren't adding extra passenger capacity to the new ships...

Yeah, from what I understand, P&O aren't adding extra passenger capacity to the new ships...

Capacity was 1266 passengers with HAL but it will be 1500 passengers with P&O.

http://www.pocruises.com.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/Aria%20and%20Eden%20deck%20plans.pdf

Edited by MicCanberra

Spot on.

The old ships had a maximum capacity of 1512, and that's what P&O have advertised as the capacity on the new ships.

It is rather confusing with terms such as capacity vs Maximum capacity. I am not sure where your 1512 comes from (I am assuming this is maximum capacity) as every site I have gone to has the capacity between 1260-1270, here are a few. sites.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Ryndam

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/category/ships/ms-ryndam/

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=102

I suppose these sites only mention capacity, rather than maximum capacity. I wonder if P&O is talking about the maximum or just plain capacity when referring to the 1500 pax.:confused:

It is rather confusing with terms such as capacity vs Maximum capacity. I am not sure where your 1512 comes from (I am assuming this is maximum capacity) as every site I have gone to has the capacity between 1260-1270, here are a few. sites.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Ryndam

I suppose these sites only mention capacity, rather than maximum capacity. I wonder if P&O is talking about the maximum or just plain capacity when referring to the 1500 pax.:confused:

Holland America, perhaps because of its more targeting the elder market and not the family market, quotes a twin share capacity as their standard or default. They don't clarify, including on their website. While it is the cruise industry standard to be twin share, most clarify that.

So the 1260 figure you see on their site is the twin-share capacity. Whereas P&O have referred to the total capacity, which is more realistic on P&O ships where larger groups of friends and families more often travel.

Holland America, perhaps because of its more targeting the elder market and not the family market, quotes a twin share capacity as their standard or default. They don't clarify, including on their website. While it is the cruise industry standard to be twin share, most clarify that.

So the 1260 figure you see on their site is the twin-share capacity. Whereas P&O have referred to the total capacity, which is more realistic on P&O ships where larger groups of friends and families more often travel.

Thanks,I wish these things were standardised across the world or just report both figures in the ship's facts.:D

Capacity and maximum capacity can be confusing (as you said). For instance, the old Regal Princess, now Pacific Dawn, had a small number of upper berths added but there were already a lot of four berth cabins. People who have been on the ship would know that some cabins have beds that retract into the ceiling (old four berth) and others that fold up onto the side wall (added berths). Some people quote "floor-level berths" (1,596 for Pacific Dawn) thinking that that was the total number of berths. Pacific Dawn now has 1,950 total berths. From what I have seen, many four berth cabins have only two people in and some other cabins have a single occupant. I do not think any cruiseship would ever have all berths occupied. :)

There is also a maximum number of people (passengers plus crew) permitted by law to be on a ship. With the two new ships coming into the P&O fleet, we don't know how much lee-way they would have between the current number of berths and the maximum that would be allowed.

Edited by Aus Traveller

I don't know how accurate it is but I was told be a cruise line ex-staffer that each ship actually has a maximum number of passengers that it is allowed to carry, regardless of the number of beds and that on most ships that was more or less based on 2 per cabin.