Kidless Ships

Gerko

As I stood at the cafe on Carnival Spirit the other day with a hot coffee in hand and dogding hard to avoid scalding the countless little ones who only had eyes for the cake display, I thought to myself "With all the ships in Oz these days, wouldn't it be nice to have just one ship that didn't allow kids below teenage?"

Parents on cruise ships are there to enjoy themselves and often that means just letting their kids run wild so the adults can enjoy some peace. Trouble is, their peace usually comes at other passengers expense. Is there anyone out there who hasn't done the soft shoe shuffle around marauding kids in the buffet? How many have copped the elevator with every button pressed by a giggling kid? Who has seen the countless littlies in the supposedly adults-only pool?

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to dine at the early sitting without knowing thats the one that all the kids eat at? Wouldn't it be nice to have a sleep in knowing that toddlers wouldn't be screaming up and down the corridors at 7am? I personally avoid the buffets. I've seen too many littlies with hands in the troughs, after coughing and wiping thier noses. I am positive that its mostly the littlies that unknowingly spread the gastro around ships.

I'm not having a go at kids, probvably mostly at parents. I am a dad myself. And I'm only suggesting one ship out of a dozen or more. I just think once kids become teens the majoirity have some idea of politeness and manners, are beyond running and screaming everywhere and generally know how to act around others. I guess thats why I am mostly on HAL these days, because they are the least family-orientated line.

I think it would be nice to have the choice. Any thoughts?

I am in full agreement. Its great to see the "nippers" having a great time on a ship....its also great to see grown ups being able to relax in peace .

The real P&O , in the UK , recognise this and have dedicated 2 of their ships Arcadia and Oriana to adult only cruising.

I dont know of any others. It used to be that if you avoided school holidays there would not be many children on a cruise , but that does not hold true theses days as parents seem to pull the kids out of school when it suits them .

I agree too. There is child-free accommodation at major resort towns like Port Douglas and it would be great to have a similar option for cruising.

It needn't even be a dedicated ship, just certain itineraries on the regular Aussie-based ships. Although the advantage of a dedicated ship is that any current children's areas could be reutilised for general use.

That way those of us who don't enjoy spending holidays dodging other people's kids could have an alternative.

Personally, I don't mind the kids as we must move in different circles while on board. They in the kids club and me not. Longer cruises tends to cut down on the kids as they may miss one week but rarely will miss two weeks of school.

I think selected cruises would be better rather than just one ship.:D

I am in full agreement. Its great to see the "nippers" having a great time on a ship....its also great to see grown ups being able to relax in peace .

The real P&O , in the UK , recognise this and have dedicated 2 of their ships Arcadia and Oriana to adult only cruising.

I dont know of any others. It used to be that if you avoided school holidays there would not be many children on a cruise , but that does not hold true theses days as parents seem to pull the kids out of school when it suits them .

Actually P&O UK have three adults only ship. They also have Adonia but at the moment she isn't sailing near Australia and nor is Oriana. You can pick up a segment on Arcadia's World Cruise when she sails to Aus in February. She usually stops at both Sydney and Brisbane and then heads off to Asia or alternatively you can hop on in somewhere like San Francisco and sail back to Australia.

P&O UK also have Aurora which comes this way on her yearly World Cruise and while it's family friendly, I'm not sure if there would be many children on board when she is sailing on her yearly World Cruise though.

We too prefer cruises without too many children as we spend a lot of time with a 2 year old grandson.;)

I think there may be an age discrimination law in Australia preventing such sales. P&O UK can do it with Adonia, Oriana and Arcadia. I noted in the brochures there was some disclaimer when the Arcadia was doing a World Cruise visiting here. They only sell to people I think 17 an older. Forget the exact age.

Arcadia as an adult only ship is a good one and has a good mood on, it is not all retirement age people and there are plenty of younger cruisers on them.

There are however extremely strange and peculiar people that go on these ships that hate children. I recall being on Arcadia in 2009 in Fremantle when I was on a bus tour returning to the ship. There were a family with some kids in school uniform on the dock hugging and sharing happy moments with what I assumed were their family members. An older man on the tour bus started piping up in a loud voice that he hopes those children aren't boarding the ship and he would be complaining to reception if they are allowed to board the cruise.

I wish they'd make Pacific Eden and Aria adults only ships. Won't happen though.

Exactly, why do you think they are retro fitting the ex HAL ships for P&O Australia? Putting in extra bunks on those two ships, same as Pacific Dawn ex Regal Princess? To fit in the 'friendly fours,' the rugrats and their minders, sorry parents.

I don't mind the children on the ships as long as the parents control them and leave their children to run riot, upset us dinosaurs whilst the parents are sipping lemonades or feeding the machines.

I loved Arcadia, child free, even the Capitano cannot bring his family on board.

Edited by NSWP

Yep, would love that idea. Out of the school holiday times are much better than during school holidays, but there are many people that can't go then, and are stuck with the ships having up to 1/3 of passengers as kids. I would pay more to go at Christmas if I knew it would not be over run with kids.

It is not that I don't like kids, I don't like drunks on a Saturday night walking past our front yard either. I just don't like people that disturb my peace. Just as they are entitled to do what they like, I am entitled not to find that enjoyable.

I think some of the ships could seriously think about having a lower quantity of younger ones. The kids club areas have a limited capacity, and it is always going to spill over to all other areas.

I think some of the ships could seriously think about having a lower quantity of younger ones. The kids club areas have a limited capacity, and it is always going to spill over to all other areas.

Our experience with Princess & Costa is that there are "limited numbers" in relation to the varying age groups. It's in the blurb. I only know this because we were going to check about changing cabins on both ships - and we were told - we would have to make new bookings - and there was no guarantee of teenage places - as they were at their limit at the time of my enquiry - and no guarantee on "stand by"

We were "shocked" by the number of youngsters that rocked up for Santa last Christmas. on the Dawn. Not because there were so many littlies, it was the fact we never saw them at any other time - just the odd one or two !!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: (Maybe they had been seconded as "elves" :p)

But no kids cruise ships would be good as well - it's called choices ;)

Edited by dizzy1948

P&O UK also have Aurora which comes this way on her yearly World Cruise and while it's family friendly, I'm not sure if there would be many children on board when she is sailing on her yearly World Cruise though.

So true.

I did a sector and was amazed at the age... average age appeared to be over 70!

There were 7 children on board.

Exactly, why do you think they are retro fitting the ex HAL ships for P&O Australia? Putting in extra bunks on those two ships, same as Pacific Dawn ex Regal Princess? To fit in the 'friendly fours,' the rugrats and their minders, sorry parents.

Pax numbers for those ships after refit are the same as before.

I think there may be an age discrimination law in Australia preventing such sales.

I doubt it, otherwise holiday apartments and resorts would not be able to offer kid-free environments, and the place I've been staying at in Port Douglas for the past 10 years is definitely kid-free.

I think the Kids clubs really do a wonderful job and keep the majority of the kids occupied and out of sight. There would be a limit as to how many kids they can handle though, so I wonder if they would manage sales to govern that, or just employ more staff to help out.

Just a bit off topic but could be relevant down the track

Air asia now provide a whole passenger section in their aircraft as kid free zones

I think they are the first airline to do so

You never know..the cruise lines may eventually do something similar

John

I think the Kids clubs really do a wonderful job and keep the majority of the kids occupied and out of sight. There would be a limit as to how many kids they can handle though, so I wonder if they would manage sales to govern that, or just employ more staff to help out.

I thought that even when it was a 'kids free' promotion, there was only a certain number of kids that could be booked on each cruise itinerary, but maybe I got that wrong, given the number of ankle biters on Spirit at times.

I don't necessarily want to see kid-free cruises (would be nice though). I want to see parents being more considerate of childless cruisers and actually knowing where their kids are. When the kids are not in Kid's Club they are supposed to be with their parents, not roaming the ship in their packs annoying the bejesus out of everyone. If you ask the kids where their parents are, they are usually pretty honest and say "In a bar" or "I don't know".

I think the main problem is not with the little kids (although we eat later to avoid them - whatever happened to 'kids meal times') it is the 15, 16 and 17 year olds who believe they are 'too old' for Kid's Club but not old enough to be in the bars or night club - awkward age. That's the age that really needs addressing. They are bored because the activities don't seem to cater for their age group. I think it's the very notion of "Kid's" Club that they don't like.

They also need to change the ridiculously late curfew for kids.

A lot of people say, don't cruise in school holidays - well, whilst we do enjoy the NYE cruise, we generally don't cruise in school holidays. They cruise out of school holidays.

Just my opinion.

Cheers

Di

I thought that even when it was a 'kids free' promotion, there was only a certain number of kids that could be booked on each cruise itinerary, but maybe I got that wrong, given the number of ankle biters on Spirit at times.

It depends on the cruise line. The time we were on a 'kids free' cruise it was with P&O. I don't know if they limited the number of children at that time (probably 7 or 8 years ago), but they seemed to be 'everywhere'. Absolutely forget using the pool or the waterslide.

I don't necessarily want to see kid-free cruises (would be nice though). I want to see parents being more considerate of childless cruisers and actually knowing where their kids are. When the kids are not in Kid's Club they are supposed to be with their parents, not roaming the ship in their packs annoying the bejesus out of everyone. If you ask the kids where their parents are, they are usually pretty honest and say "In a bar" or "I don't know".

I think the main problem is not with the little kids (although we eat later to avoid them - whatever happened to 'kids meal times') it is the 15, 16 and 17 year olds who believe they are 'too old' for Kid's Club but not old enough to be in the bars or night club - awkward age. That's the age that really needs addressing. They are bored because the activities don't seem to cater for their age group. I think it's the very notion of "Kid's" Club that they don't like.

They also need to change the ridiculously late curfew for kids.

A lot of people say, don't cruise in school holidays - well, whilst we do enjoy the NYE cruise, we generally don't cruise in school holidays. They cruise out of school holidays.

Just my opinion.

Cheers

Di

Agreed, it is them that go around and are not young enough to want to do the kid's club activities, are too young to do adult type activities and are mature enough to be considerate.:(