Beverage package at Qsine and Cover at Normandie

cle-guy

SO on my Summit to Bermuda sallying over labor day, we went to Qsine.

Looked at the drink menu on the iPad and wanted a Moscow Mule. My iPad said it was $12, someone else's at table said it was $13, and another said $14.

So the price variances aside, (is it really that hard to update the iPads when the menu changes...???) assuming the correct price is in fact $14, the staff said the drinks were not covered on the drinks package, we said we upgraded to Premium package, so we only pay the overage, be that $1 or $2. They said, no that is not the policy in Qsine, all drinks need paid for regardless of drinks package as packages do not apply in Qsine. I ended up with a glass of wine I had been drinking int he MDR, and even here they wouldn't charge "just the overage" (glass of Franciscan, $19 a glass, I was billed the full $19 where in MDR was only billed he overage amount).

Then at Normandie, I was charged $50 cover charge, yet others on the ship said they were only charged $45, I didn't bring this up to anyone on board but was wondering what the real number is....I dined with 2 friends who were in a suite who dined using the Suite free dining meal for their dinner.

Anyone else experience this, especially the "no drinks packages apply" rule in Qsine?

Really sorry to hear about that, Curt. Updating the iPad menus isn't difficult.

Previously, I recall people paying the difference in drink cost when in Qsine. I'm very interested in the responses you get from others, since we've never had a chance to eat in Qsine and wish to do so on February. Our beverage packages were honored in Silk Harvest, so I can't imagine why they would not be in Qsine. The glass of wine that was served elsewhere on the ship sound certainly have been covered up to the standard limit!

When we last dined in Qsine (over a year ago) we were told the special Qsine cocktails were not covered by the packages but that wine and other drinks were. It did not bother me at all at the time as I did not have the alcoholic package.

But if I'd had the alcoholic package I would have asked for the Maitre d' and raised a bit of a stink. If that didn't work I'd carry my complain up the ladder. Everything "official" I've ever read about the drink packages indicate that they are good everyplace on board except for gift shops, mini bar and room service. I don't understand how one particular venue can change the rules.

Likewise if everyone else was charged a lower price for a specialty restaurant I'd have brought that up with the Maitre d' and then customer service.

Edited by Lsimon

Looked at the drink menu on the iPad and wanted a Moscow Mule. My iPad said it was $12, someone else's at table said it was $13, and another said $14.

So the price variances aside, (is it really that hard to update the iPads when the menu changes...???) assuming the correct price is in fact $14, the staff said the drinks were not covered on the drinks package, we said we upgraded to Premium package, so we only pay the overage, be that $1 or $2. They said, no that is not the policy in Qsine, all drinks need paid for regardless of drinks package as packages do not apply in Qsine. I ended up with a glass of wine I had been drinking int he MDR, and even here they wouldn't charge "just the overage" (glass of Franciscan, $19 a glass, I was billed the full $19 where in MDR was only billed he overage amount).

Then at Normandie, I was charged $50 cover charge, yet others on the ship said they were only charged $45, I didn't bring this up to anyone on board but was wondering what the real number is....I dined with 2 friends who were in a suite who dined using the Suite free dining meal for their dinner.

Anyone else experience this, especially the "no drinks packages apply" rule in Qsine?

Hey Curt, the price for Normandie is $45.00. My experience with the drinks in Q-sine is similar to yours. We were told we could not get the I-pad drinks, but oddly they let us get the sangria, which was an I-pad drink.

We were able to order higher priced wine and we paid only the 3 or 4 dollars over the premium limit.......

On our Silhouette cruise in June, we dined at both Qsine and Tuscan Grille. Used our bev pkgs at both venues with no problem.

As to the discrepancy in resto cost, perhaps the diners who reserved and paid precruise got the website cheaper cost. I've noticed that on the website, Tuscan is listed for $35 whereas onboard they're charging up to $45. Possibly the same situation for Qsine?

According to the Celebrity Web site, the beverage package should have been good. There is not a listed exception for the special Qsine cocktails, and it specifically says they are good in the specialty restaurants.

Given your experience, I think I'll print that out before we go on our cruise and take it with me.

This one might be worth a phone call, particularly about the different charges and lack of menu updates.

On our Silhouette cruise in June, we dined at both Qsine and Tuscan Grille. Used our bev pkgs at both venues with no problem.

As to the discrepancy in resto cost, perhaps the diners who reserved and paid precruise got the website cheaper cost. I've noticed that on the website, Tuscan is listed for $35 whereas onboard they're charging up to $45. Possibly the same situation for Qsine?

I was wondering the same thing, maybe booking in advance gets a lower price, and booking on board is a higher price. I just haven't noticed this policy in writing anyplace.

I'm happy (and actually somewhat surprised!) to report, I just received an email from Celebrity having noticed my post here, saying they are going to look into this experience.

I'll be happy to report back the findings.

Curt, we didn't try any of the specialty restaurants on Summit, but we did upgrade to the premium drink package -- specifically to have a decent glass of wine with dinner. One of their big "selling points" for the upgraded package is that you only have to pay the difference, if your wine exceeds the $$ limit. I would have been very upset to find that unwritten "exceptions" to that policy are being allowed, in the specialty restaurants onboard! Please let us know what you hear back from X, on this one.

Curt,

We had a similar experience on Infinity in Qsine. We ordered wine and said we were on the classic package, we didn't sign for any of our beverages. However the following day, on our friend's bill, there was a total amount for all of the drinks. Of course they queried this cost with guest services and were told all drinks in Qsine are extra.

As no one had said this when we ordered, or had indeed asked for any signatures, GS removed the amount from their bill.

This is quite the opposite to what had happened on Silhouette in LCG in April. We had not paid (or was billed) for any of our beverages, and we had informed the waiters at the start of the experience of our classic packages, just the same as we had in Qsine :confused:.

Edited by villauk

We had a bit of a disappointing experience on our recent Summit cruise in Normandie.

My DH ordered a Gin Bombay Sapphire Martini and I ordered a French Martini. They were both the smaller martinis (not the large ones like the Martini Bar). When the bill came (we didn't have the beverage package) his martini was $7.00 and my French Martini was $12.00. He called over the waiter and asked about the prices. The waiter went back to check, came over and said that was the price. So then my DH asked for the Manager. He looked into it and came back and said that was the price. There's no way a 4 oz martini is the same as an 8 oz martini - and yes I had French Martini's at the Martini bar and they were $12.00.

We paid the bill but it left us really disappointed and my husband mentioned it on his comment card.

That and the fact the cover charge for Normandie is now $50, we most likely will not be going back. Especially when the Blue Cheese Souffle I had in the MDR the second to the last night of the cruise was better than the Goat Cheese Souffle in Normandie.

Celebrity website today shows Normandie as having a $45 cover charge. Same with the equivalent restaurants on the other M-class ships. Q-sine is also listed as $45.

Edited by boogs

Celebrity website shows Normandie as having a $45 cover charge. Same with the equivalent restaurants on the other M-class ships.

Coverage charge in Normandie was $50. We just got off Summit on Sunday. Some people get discounts and/or deals to go to the Specialty restaurants. So I could see how not everyone would pay the same. But the regular non-discounted price on board is $50.

Edited by CruisingChick

We had the same experience on the Summit in July... they said it had always been that way.

In April 2013 on Infinity, drinks were covered (minus any overage) by the drink package.

We were annoyed but, like you, went on to enjoy our dinner anyway.

Cruisingchick...was the Normandie the "update" goat cheese soufflé? the smaller flatter one?

A couple of years ago we also heard there was something unusual about the drinks in Qsine..rather than deal with it we just ordered wine too.

I spoke to Captains Club they said the higher price on Normandie should have expired September 7th. Other restaurants on other ships expire this November. I must have missed an announcement that the older prices were going to be restored. Price is $45. online.

Thanks Curt for the tip about the wine gift.

So basically one can not get anything to drink at the Specialty Restaurants with the Premium Liver Disease Treatment Package????

We hate big dining room as will eat every night in a Specialty Restaurant! I guess I will cancel everything...this is false advertisement!

A vacation should be fun and not aggravation!