Does anyone enjoy overpacking?

illybell

I do enjoy this conversation. I used to be a serious over packer. I'd come home with lots of clothes I didn't use. But, I didn't care - I had a husband who would dutifully act as my Sherpa. Going from house to my car to airplane to taxi to ship (and reverse) wasn't that big of a deal. Then, I suddenly found myself a solo traveler. Expanded my travels beyond US-based cruises. One word to tell why I go light: Europe. In Venice, try lugging your stuff over all those cobblestones and bridges!!! In Vernazza, it is totally pedestrian, so you have to get you and your bags through town to your accommodations, which frequently means stairs between buildings. Civi: right now, you've got a bit of a walk from the port to the train station… Trains: You have to be able to get your bag on/off the train yourself. Taxis: not much fits in those little cars. Cute little hotels and apartments: not all have elevators and if they do have an elevator, it's barely big enough for just yourself, let alone a big roller, a roller carryon…

If all I did was fly to a US port to do a week on a cruise, then I'd probably not be into being able to handle everything, so going light wouldn't be a big deal. But, now that I've learned what I can do with less "baggage", I don't think I'll go back.

I don't know about over-packing, but I do pack to the limit for cruises ... most of the time, that's my big suitcase loaded up to about 48 or 49 lbs ... and two carry-ons, one of which I can lift in the overhead bin by myself and a smaller one for under the seat. (For 7 days or less I would not need that much!)

Most of our trips are over 10 days, and many of them are much longer than that. One thing I have learned to do is buy toiletries at the other end of the flight. Saves a lot of weight and gives me more room for clothes. I do not like to wash things out in the sink, other than a very few delicate tops & bras. So I bring plenty of underwear, in case there is a delay with the laundry. And socks. I don't bring lots of shoes, but I do bring at least walking shoes (that double as gym/workout shoes, two pairs of sandals, one pair of "good" shoes to go with whatever I bring for eating in the MDR, which is usually one pair of black trousers with several tops (& matching wraps) depending on the length of the cruise.

I do not bring any of the "stuff" so often mentioned here - duct tape, over-door-hangers, etc. For a long cruise, I might buy some of these types of items in the embarkation port, but I'd rather use the weight allowance for clothes!

I am able to handle this luggage on my own ... I don't always have to, but I can when needed. If I were ever taking these long trips on my own I would probably have to rethink how I pack.

Edited by Lady Chew

After about 25-30 cruises, I have my packing system down pat. DH & I take 2 large suitcases (one is a rolling garment bag, that folds in the middle with a broad folding area). These 2 bags weigh 48 lbs. We also each take a roll-aboard, plus one personal item. Mine is a large tote and his is a duffle (for his heavy shoes). This means 6 bags, but we can handle them easily. We use the luggage carts in airports and tip porters well.

I take 3 formal outfits and hubby takes his tux. We vary our daytime outfits depending on the activities and area we are cruising. We just finished a week in London and 2 weeks around the British Isles on Celebrity Infinity. We sent out some socks and underwear for laundry and had a few things cleaned. We can be messy eaters, too.

We have learned to pace ourselves, hire porters, and do not rush or make the transit to the ship an ordeal.

By the way, the rolling bag is at least 30 years old and been on all our cruises. I have been looking to replace it, but the only one I could find was a Tumi bag at about $800. I might have paid about $100. Wow

My friends and family know me as a clothes horse, but I'm happy. We usually take longer cruises and enjoy touring and cultural explorations, not beaches, diving, etc. we are also in our mid-70's.

Margee

Margee, your traveling sounds like ours. We'll spend a week in San Juan and then go on a 14 day cruise. Next one is a work conference in Seattle for me and then a week in Honolulu and then a 7 day cruise. Thankfully we aren't doing our normal line because packing even light for Seattle limits full formal gear for the cruise. We also add at least a full night between flights to keep our fairly retired life relaxed. I have a very comfortable pair of black crepe pants with some stretch that I can dress up or down and take up little room or weight. I just found two fantastic cap sleeve tops from Eileen Fisher that will look great under my black cashmere no button cardigan and better over my white jeans or white cotton trousers in Hawaii or on the cruise. I am packing black dressy flats and my comfy white kid loafers and wearing my Sperry Bluefish boat shoes on the plane. I do my own delicates after Celebrity tie dyed some panties and I also received one pair that weren't mine. I have a huge and overly full walk in closet but learned and have slowly learned to down size my packing after a pre-wedding trip to Venice when we were both stationed in Europe in 1984. I had blisters and my huge hard sided Pullman was not going up in that train without help. Then over just two bridges with those old fashioned two wheels had me going soft side as soon as I could afford it. For this trip my pants will be all day while in Hawaii tops will get changed before dinner and possibly shoes depending on where we eat. I do take thin long sleeve blouses or tops for evening because I freeze in air conditioning. When we do Celebrity we loved the laundry service. We were Elites so when we go on our January 14 day I'm not sure how that will work. On this trip the resort will do any laundry before we hit the cruise.

After about 25-30 cruises, I have my packing system down pat. DH & I take 2 large suitcases (one is a rolling garment bag, that folds in the middle with a broad folding area). These 2 bags weigh 48 lbs. We also each take a roll-aboard, plus one personal item. Mine is a large tote and his is a duffle (for his heavy shoes). This means 6 bags, but we can handle them easily. We use the luggage carts in airports and tip porters well.

I take 3 formal outfits and hubby takes his tux. We vary our daytime outfits depending on the activities and area we are cruising. We just finished a week in London and 2 weeks around the British Isles on Celebrity Infinity. We sent out some socks and underwear for laundry and had a few things cleaned. We can be messy eaters, too.

We have learned to pace ourselves, hire porters, and do not rush or make the transit to the ship an ordeal.

By the way, the rolling bag is at least 30 years old and been on all our cruises. I have been looking to replace it, but the only one I could find was a Tumi bag at about $800. I might have paid about $100. Wow

My friends and family know me as a clothes horse, but I'm happy. We usually take longer cruises and enjoy touring and cultural explorations, not beaches, diving, etc. we are also in our mid-70's.

Margee

Well worth the money!

I am a cruise newbie going on my first "real" cruise, I've only been on one 4 day years ago when I was a young teen, but I am a very frequent traveler and always have been....I'm also a girly girl and a proud over-packer.

All I've read on these boards is how you should wear things over again and no one will notice...but I will...

Is anybody else with me? I've never had an overweight fee and I always pack for two outfits a day and lots of shoe and accessory options...I can't be alone in enjoying the excuse of vacation to indulge, haha.

Though maybe it's just because I wear a hideous uniform daily in the real world :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

------------------------

LOL I am a proud over packer lol .... I love getting dressed up and cruising is the perfect excuse to dress up dressy every day LOL .... I have now been able to get Dave and me down to 2 checked bags and two very full carry on bags but even with that I packed a duffle bag for going home items and yep I did end up using it :) .... I can never seem to say no to all the beautiful colours of long sarongs and shawls even though at last count I had well over 2 dozen lol .... I have started using the long sarong shawls as scarves in the winter as they bring some colour to my black winter coat and easily wrap twice around my neck and keep me warm (using them as a scarf was a suggestion from a friend that I brought back a long sarong for so I told my husband that since I can use them both in summer and winter we should get more lol ..... He just smiles and says yes dear and then points out some more with colours that I do not have .... one of the reason I love him :) )

Edited by cat_in_cda

My DW and I love to cruise. We both enjoy dressing elegantly on formal nights. I actually pack 2 tuxes on most trips. On one Cunard trip I actually took 3 tuxes. I pack formal shoes for the tuxes, dancing shoes on non-formal nights, loafers for excursions and tennis shoes for exercising. I always plan to wear dress pants at dinner. Most evenings I wear at least a sport coat and tie and sometimes a suit if we are going to a specialty restaurant. This has nothing to do with dress codes, it's just what DW likes to see me in. She is worth the effort. We usually fly Southwest Airlines, so checking 2 bags each is no additional charge.

I love dressing for my wife. She really appreciates it when I make the effort. We live in a very remote location and the nearest town is over an hour away. When people dress up out here in the country, they wear their cleanest jeans and t-shirt. Cruises are very special for us.

Happy sailing, Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn

Way to go, Jerry!

My hubby also likes to dress well on cruises. We live in rural Texas and jeans, tee shirts and ball caps (cammo ??) are seen everywhere.

DH wears his tux or white dinner jacket on formal nights. He looks great and when I'm in a long formal gown, the tux seems to match the formality appropriately. We cruise often and have accumulated a cruise wardrobe that works for us.

We have his tux cleaned/pressed on the ship, not at home. It's about the same price and we don't worry about wrinkles.

We feel comfortable, relaxed and happy in our formal wear. We do get compliments from strangers, probably because my DH wears a short beard (he looks like Ernest Hemingway or the Dos Equis guy).

When we dress formally, I think the staff treats us better. Just my overall feeling.

Margee

To answer the OP's question, do I enjoy overpacking. Nope.

I have an auto immune disorder and I struggle with fatigue, and I never know when I'll get hit so for me I took to minimalism for self preservation. It's just part of the whole planning ahead thing which really counts when you are coping with chronic illness.

I don't feel critical of others who pack more, nor do I notice who is wearing what may be the same thing over a few days. I promise to smile at everybody!;)

Our last cruise, Air Canada got us home 24 hours later than schedule, with 3 hours of sleep and an early flight to make our next connections. I never realized how thankful I'd be for my under packing.

When I finally get on board the ship, the travel to get there usually leaves me wiped out, so I'm glad that hanging a few items and tossing the rest into the 2 bedside drawers only takes 5 minutes. We get lunch, go back to the cabin and I take a nap to help me get thru the lifeboat drill.

The night before we leave ship I like having it all done before I'm really exhausted in the evening, and the security of not worrying if I packed something I needed in the bags and they've gone already.

All that said, it's supposed to be fun as YOU define it, and if over packing makes you feel good, or secure or happy then you should.

Think of it this way, I'm happy to leave room for your baggage! Glad you enjoy your cruise and I'll enjoy seeing your pretty clothing as you wear different things every day. I'll enjoy mine too.

Just brought myself an additional 6 dresses for my cruise wardrobe and now don't I feel so underpack, lol. I had found myself not having enough dresses to wear due wearing 2 a day, so now with these 6 along with the original 8; I have a sundress for pool/beach and evening dress. It feel kinda weird taking off a somewhat heavy dress at pool/beach , lol. I feel so much better now. [emoji2]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

When we lived in Florida I loved to overpack ... I'd carry everything I loved to wear. Now we fly and I would overpack, but DH gets this furrow on his forehead when we pay for more than our allocation of 1 free checked bag.

When I overpack, I would rather have more clothes and shoes - and not overload myself with toiletries. Three changes of clothes every day would be heaven!

Three changes of clothes every day would be heaven!

There's something about me...when I think of this...all I can think of is all that extra laundry! It totally turns me off to the idea... And why do I think that sounds like a bunch of work? Changing clothes that many times in one day... Things that make you go, hmmm....

There's something about me...when I think of this...all I can think of is all that extra laundry! It totally turns me off to the idea... And why do I think that sounds like a bunch of work? Changing clothes that many times in one day... Things that make you go, hmmm....

Don't you change clothes before dinner? I always shower and change before dinner when I've been out in the sun, sand and saltwater all day.

I do bring spares so that I can change in case of rips or spills. And I may change after dinner if I'm going to a deck party. It depends on what I wore to dinner though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't you change clothes before dinner? I always shower and change before dinner when I've been out in the sun, sand and saltwater all day.

I do bring spares so that I can change in case of rips or spills. And I may change after dinner if I'm going to a deck party. It depends on what I wore to dinner though.

Pretty much this - I don't wear the same dress/outfit that I wore my bathing suit with due to the sand or the chlorine in the water, so that outfit has to aired or rinse out. If one thinks about it, unless the pool is open in the evening after dinner /shows, you're only going to wear underwear once a day due to the bathing suit / swimwear. So a typical 7 Caribbean day cruise, you're pretty much guanartee to be wearing at least 8-10 different outfits that week.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Exactly. Plus, I tend to sweat so I change for the first night at dinner too. Same with travel days. I always feel grungy and not fit for nice company.

Wearing the next day what I wore to dinner isn't an option because I wear cocktail dresses, gowns or nice dresses. Nothing daytime appropriate.

I do usually change before dinner. Usually, that's my shower time as well. I guess I'm associating the whole shower routine with each change of clothing... And if I'm wearing 3 outfits a day...I'm picturing my whole change clothes routine twice...and that sounds like such a pain...but then, I travel with my family together in one stateroom, so the shower routine is an orchestrated activity and not really a lovely self indulgent thing.

Also, when the PP talked about heaven having 3 outfits a day, I was picturing 3 unique outfits...rewearing nothing. Perhaps the PP didn't intend that...just what I pictured. I haven't been on too many cruises...but generally, I rewear a lot of my clothing, I don't have too many unique outfits. I rewear shirts less...because I also can sweat a bit, depending on our activity...

I do tend to segregate my clothes into that which rotates for daywear and that which rotates for evening wear. I never change after dinner...until it's into my pajamas. ;)

I guess I don't worry too much about spills, etc. It's relatively easy for me to spot clean for "good enough" for me. I've never actually ripped my clothing...

I am a person that can have a care for her appearance. Just in a different way than most other ladies that I have encountered in life so far. But that's just my unique life situation...I just pick and choose when I care, LOL!, and there are few instances where I care more for choices and changes over ease, familiarity, and the lessening of the mountain of laundry that seems to dominate my life. :eek:

Oh no. On sea days and port days, I shower once a day before dinner. Mostly, I pack sundresses or dresses so yes, it's all unique outfits. I'm fairly low key in the morning. A swimsuit, sundress, and basic getting ready since I'm still clean. Then I shower and change before dinner. I rarely change after dinner but if I do, it's just a quick change of clothing. 5 minutes tops.

I'm not a rewear person on cruises, but given that this is the overpacking thread, that's probably not a surprise.

I'm so glad I'm not alone. Sometimes, it feels like the light packers take over a bit. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who prefers to bring more than less.

Ehpride you aren't alone, far from it. The hallways are visible proof on the last night that us minimalist packers are the minority. I always get a chuckle meeting our room steward who is usually mildly panicked that our luggage hasn't arrived at the room, nor has he seen it in the stacks. When we explain that this is it, the eyes bulge a bit, he blinks, then sometimes double checks that we aren't joking with him, and we move on to other things.

There must be a surge in water use for late afternoon showers, because we often have ours then too. I also do my tops & lingerie in the sink regularly, sending pants, socks & dhs shirts out to be laundered. Clean isn't something I am prepared to compromise on by my minimal packing.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Also, when the PP talked about heaven having 3 outfits a day, I was picturing 3 unique outfits...rewearing nothing. Perhaps the PP didn't intend that...just what I pictured. I haven't been on too many cruises...but generally, I rewear a lot of my clothing, I don't have too many unique outfits. I rewear shirts less...because I also can sweat a bit, depending on our activity...

:

I'm the poster who would like three changes of clothes a day. And yes, heaven would be three unique outfits a day. I live in Atlanta and with the humidity here nothing gets worn more than once, so I do a lot of laundry eight months of the year :). And I will spent a chunk of cash having things cleaned on the ship. I know this doesn't work for everyone, but I love clothes and I love having new things to wear so yes, twenty one unique outfits for seven days would be fantastic! :D

I too wouldn't call it overpacking so much as "having options". As long as I don't incur any luggage fees and can manage carrying my own luggage, I'm good. For a chuckle, here's an idea of what I packed for my recent 7-night Bermuda cruise:

5 sundresses

1 formal gown

3 swimsuits

3 cover ups

5 pair of flip flops

Wedge sandals

Sneakers

Black satin pumps

About 10 casual tops

3-4 shorts/capris

3 pair of pants

3 long sleeve tops

Pjs, undies, socks, 2 pashmina type scarves

And a wide array/selection of accessories. What? I like to be coordinated :)

And I wore *almost* everything.