Norwegian Fjords Itinerary

CintiPam

Here's a link to some of those Facebook fjords photos, hoping this doesn't contravene the rules here:

I wish I had some Harry Potter Floo Powder to bring me there right now. That album has about a dozen photos and there's another one, too, that has over a 100. :D

Does anybody have a prediction about where the Azamazing Evening will be on this cruise?

We only have two stops that are late enough:

Bergen (overnight) and

Honningsvag (depart 10pm)

I know that Bergen has been the site on earlier cruises. Have they ever done an evening at Honningsvag?

The reason I ask is that all the shore excursions are over by 3:30 pm but we don't depart until 10 pm.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

There is a thread on the Silverseas board covering their cruise of the fjords. Started by TLCOhio.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 159,687 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/s....php?t=1227923

There is a thread on the Silverseas board covering their cruise of the fjords. Started by TLCOhio.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 159,687 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/s....php?t=1227923

Thank you. I'll read the article later. The pictures I've seen so far are amazing.

You know, I swear there was a blog post somewhere that tied in with all the photos but for the life of me I can't find it. Maybe Bonnie will see this and chime in. I wish that cruise wasn't so expensive because I'd be on it in a heartbeat. :o

Just checked out the 100+ photos. Really scenic and I love the idea of leaving from Amsterdam rather than Hamburg. Wonder how the weather is in mid-August rather than June?

Just checked out the 100+ photos. Really scenic and I love the idea of leaving from Amsterdam rather than Hamburg. Wonder how the weather is in mid-August rather than June?

Pam, Amsterdam is such an easy port to get in and out of. And of course it's such a pretty city as well. We were booked on a fjords cruise on RCI for next May (late in the month) and our friends talked us out of it, citing cool weather and overcast skies. They said they had much better luck sailing the fjords in the late summer.

I searched the weather.

Summer

Late June to early August is when the weather is warmest and the days are long and bright. Temperatures in July and August can reach 77°F - 86°F. At the same time there is hardly any humidity in the air.

Sea temperatures can reach 64°F and higher, making swimming a popular pastime.

The warmest and most stable weather usually occurs on the eastern side of the southern mountains, including the south coast between Mandal and Oslo.

Even further north, summer temperatures are rather pleasant – sometimes reaching as high above 77°F.

However, the summer weather can be wet and changeable, especially in Fjord Norway, Trøndelag and Northern Norway.

If you want to experience the midnight sun, you will have to travel to the northern part of the country, above the Arctic Circle.

Edited by midwestchick

Pam,

Due to the current promo, there is limited availability on verandah rooms if that's what you're interested in.

Thanks. Our TA is in Asia so I am awaiting her return.

Also thanks for the weather post. I normally never would travel to Europe in mid-August but I guess it is not bad for this part of Europe.

Edited by CintiPam

I don't think it would matter one bit which side you were on because surely you'd be up on deck with everyone else to watch all that beauty as you sail by! Even if it's at the crack of dawn. :p

Yes, but it's a little hard to run around in jammies up on deck ;)...had some great sunrise and sunset shots from our balcony this past trip. Love room service coffee and drinking it on our verandah.

Edited by midwestchick

You book on the stern and see everything on both sides with no wind.

I did think about that but remember people complaining about soot on the furniture from the stacks. Also trying to stay with a V2.

Not sure why this thread was moved.....:confused:

Edited by midwestchick

I did think about that but remember people complaining about soot on the furniture from the stacks. Also trying to stay with a V2.

Not sure why this thread was moved.....:confused:

We spent 28 days in 8093 on the stern in June and July, including the fjords cruise. There was no soot. Don't believe everything you read here--like Discoveries being closed for breakfast.

We spent 28 days in 8093 on the stern in June and July, including the fjords cruise. There was no soot. Don't believe everything you read here--like Discoveries being closed for breakfast.

LOL....

I've read that more than once though...also on reviews of X ships.

8093 is a suite, isn't it? The balconies look enormous.

Edited by midwestchick

LOL....

I've read that more than once though...also on reviews of X ships.

8093 is a suite, isn't it? The balconies look enormous.

8093 is a veranda. Decks 6, 7, and 8 each have two veranda staterooms on the stern. The verandas are deeper than other verandas.

8093 is a veranda. Decks 6, 7, and 8 each have two veranda staterooms on the stern. The verandas are deeper than other verandas.

But we were warned off cabins at the front of the ship for this cruise, because in rough seas they will become roller coaster rides. The stern is somewhat less so, but still not as smooth as midship.

But we were warned off cabins at the front of the ship for this cruise, because in rough seas they will become roller coaster rides. The stern is somewhat less so, but still not as smooth as midship.

Go mid ship. If you really want a view go to the Sunset bar and enjoy. The ship gets to me in tge N Sea. Not worth being sick.. I was in Looking Glass once and as soon as we entered the sea I was in my cabin. I am one if those that must be mid ship and I never seem to me much unless I am sleeping.

Well, we have taken the plunge and booked this cruise this afternoon. And we got a V2 veranda cabin smack mid-ships on Deck 7 on the port side; nothing that central still left on Deck 6.

I never have booked this far in advance but am excited about this lovely itinerary. Embarking and disembarking in Amsterdam is a big plus IMO.

So, midwestchick, will you be joining us onboard?

Edited by CintiPam

Well, we have taken the plunge and booked this cruise this afternoon. And we got a V2 veranda cabin smack mid-ships on Deck 7 on the port side; nothing that central still left on Deck 6.

I never have booked this far in advance but am excited about this lovely itinerary. Embarking and disembarking in Amsterdam is a big plus IMO.

So, midwestchick, will you be joining us onboard?

See my post on the roll call. :D

I actually booked the other night when I found out how little availability there was. I too have never booked a vacation this far out.

Now I'm wondering if we should be more midship. :confused: Do the seas get that rough on this itinerary? We're not prone to seasickness. We've fished Lake Michigan several times...it can be rough out there.

I've been waiting for you...I'll create my countdown clock now. ;)

Edited by midwestchick