Norwegian Fjords Itinerary

CintiPam

Lucky Cintipam and midwestchick.....the Norwegian Fjords are stunning.

The North Sea shouldn't usually be rough in August but it can be bumpy at any time of course. When you are in a Fjord it is sheltered and should be fine. I have done a Fjord cruise twice, but on Queen Mary 2. Geiranger is lovely, the air in the mountains is crystal clear.

However, take more spending money than you think you will need as Norway is notoriously expensive. It cost us £40....pounds not dollars.... for two portions of fish and chips in Alesund.....and that was four years ago! :eek: They were excellent fish and chips though.

Thank you, Lottie. We are excited about the cruise and really looking forward to it. I have read that it is expensive. We'll definitely take that into account. It looks like once again, I'll be keeping the Euros I have left...just a little headstart. :D

When I made the comment about Lake Michigan...it's certainly different than the ocean but being in a small charter boat when it's rough can be a challenge as far as rocking and rolling on the water. I've seen people get quite ill on those charters.

We definitely want to spend a few days in Amsterdam prior to the cruise. I have a friend there who we met in Aruba and hoping to connect with her at least for an evening while we're there.

This trip also means a direct flight from ORD to AMS. :D

I was told elsethread that currency aboard Quest is the dollar so I intend to have dollars available for additional gratuities (if merited, see also "incentives"). Is there a facility on board that will dispense Euros for dollars or against a debit card? Or should I plan to load up on Euros in Amsterdam?

Norway uses Kroners.. I use my card mostly but i spend Kroners in ports for water, ice cream etc.. Crew will take Euros as they will use them in the fall in other ports..

you will have a blast.

I had read that earlier. I thought maybe it was incorrect.

1 USD = 6.5504 NOK

US Dollar-Norwegian Krone

sorry- i forgot to tell you there is... you can exchange money all day long.. i tend to go asap after we sail..kroners have been as much as 8 to a $1 but the norm is 7. the small change takes a while to get use to but the bills are easy.. i met people this summer that thought lunch was expensive somewhere but i just think it is all part of enjoying this wonderful country.

This summer we were aboard the Queen Victoria on a Norway/Iceland/Faroes/Orkneys itinerary. Not our original plan, but a day at sea is better than one on land at work. We saw the Journey in Olden and wanted to jump ship. So we decided to join everyone else who has made plans way in advance, and booked a cabin on the 2016 all-Norway cruise.

Here's a photo of the Journey in Olden -- the only port we would be "repeating" and another of Lovanet Lake (on the Kjenndalen Glacier shore excursion). The motor of the boat we took to cross the lake moved the silt on the lake (that came down the glaciers high on the mountains) creating very cool circular patterns.

Port or starboard cabin? The views were so picture perfect and majestic (so huge and close to the ship that it's very difficult to take a photo that captures the scale of the mountains) on both sides as the ship sails through the fjords that it does not matter for the most part.

665660381_14631627175_61aa28f5b8_z(2).jpg.ea7714299bbcbb812b97a768bc3b5c1a.jpg

14628220021_9ef93676dc_z.jpg.0a603de4e5c1a84345d608049a1d9f9a.jpg

Thanks, everyone, for all your help regarding this cruise. I still am leery of rough seas but between taking Bonine and being smack mid-ships, I will survive!

On our land trip in 2007, it was crazy because many of the Scandinavian countries still have their own currency. My sister and I constantly were trying to pin down exactly what we thought we would spend in each country, because the currency would not be any good elsewhere. At least with Norway, only one currency needed for the entire trip! My trusty ATM card will get a good workout.

I hope to eat mostly on the ship because I still remember my $20 burger in a small town in Norway! Is there a lunch spot still open in the late afternoon, maybe on the pool deck?

when i am in Norway i eat out every lunch and some dinners.. I had fish to pizza which to me is fun. i am sure he pool grill is open if not to cold out.. but look again at prices for lunch .they were ok this summer.

Thanks, everyone, for all your help regarding this cruise. I still am leery of rough seas but between taking Bonine and being smack mid-ships, I will survive!

On our land trip in 2007, it was crazy because many of the Scandinavian countries still have their own currency. My sister and I constantly were trying to pin down exactly what we thought we would spend in each country, because the currency would not be any good elsewhere. At least with Norway, only one currency needed for the entire trip! My trusty ATM card will get a good workout.

I hope to eat mostly on the ship because I still remember my $20 burger in a small town in Norway! Is there a lunch spot still open in the late afternoon, maybe on the pool deck?

The pool grill on deck 9 is open until 6:00 P.M. You can also go to the Mosaic on deck 5 for little finger sandwiches, desserts, etc. They also have seciality coffee and teas. You other choice would be 24 hour room service.

I did start a thread on the port forum with some helpful information. I couldn't get that NOK straight in my head. :o

I like this little quick conversion that someone posted.

Robin...how is the pizza in Norway? We used to do that often on our last trip...nothing like a good pizza and cold beer and it was quite reasonable.

FWIW, I use a 10:1 conversion rate to adjust for cost of living when I want to think in dollars. 10 NOK buys you pretty close to $1 of stuff. It's an easy calculation, and it works out reasonably close to what you get if you combine the currency conversion with The Economist's Big Mac index for cost of living.

Some examples:

Coffee on the way to work: 40 NOK - $4

Basic pint of beer at a pub: 60 NOK - $6

Recent bestselling book: 140 NOK - $14

Cheap pair of shoes: 300 NOK - $30

Dress from a mall fashion chain: 800 NOK - $80

Designer Norwegian sweater: 2000 NOK - $200

Edited by midwestchick

Pam, don't forget you need Euro's for Amsterdam!

Quite true, Lottie, but Euros always are useful for the next trip! :)

I know we will be spending at least several days there either before or after our cruise. I think a real plus for this cruise is embarkation and disembarkation in this wonderful city. Speaking of prices, Amsterdam is very reasonable IMO for food, lodging and entrance fees. I spent a wonderful week there a year ago with fellow art docents from Cincinnati. The remodeled Rijksmuseet and Van Gogh were terrific and there is so much new development on the waterfront.

So, Lottie, are you thinking of joining Midwestchick and me?? :)

Edited by CintiPam

Quite true, Lottie, but Euros always are useful for the next trip! :)

I know we will be spending at least several days there either before or after our cruise. I think a real plus for this cruise is embarkation and disembarkation in this wonderful city. Speaking of prices, Amsterdam is very reasonable IMO for food, lodging and entrance fees. I spent a wonderful week there a year ago with fellow art docents from Cincinnati. The remodeled Rijksmuseet and Van Gogh were terrific and there is so much new development on the waterfront.

So, Lottie, are you thinking of joining Midwestchick and me?? :)

Pam, I would love to join you and midwestchick on your cruise, especially as it's on Quest. I am looking forward to going back to The Fjords, but 2016 is a bit too far away for me to be planning a cruise. I am still thinking about 2015!

We do go to Amsterdam quite a lot though as it is just over a one hour flight from my local airport. Actually we were thinking of going there for a few days next week, but we have decided on Dublin instead. My man loves Guinness! :D

It is likely that I will be on Silversea a lot in 2015/2016 anyway, but should there be any late deals on cabins on your cruise....well you never know! :D

I hope you both have a really good time though. It rains a lot in Bergen, even in Summer so take a brolly with you, but the view from Mount Floyen is fantastic. There is a cable car up to the top. The restored houses of the Old Wharf of The Hanseatic League merchants at Bryggen ....the old quarter of Bergen...is a fascinating place too....you will love it.

Pam, I would love to join you and midwestchick on your cruise, especially as it's on Quest. I am looking forward to going back to The Fjords, but 2016 is a bit too far away for me to be planning a cruise. I am still thinking about 2015!

We do go to Amsterdam quite a lot though as it is just over a one hour flight from my local airport. Actually we were thinking of going there for a few days next week, but we have decided on Dublin instead. My man loves Guinness! :D

It is likely that I will be on Silversea a lot in 2015/2016 anyway, but should there be any late deals on cabins on your cruise....well you never know! :D

I hope you both have a really good time though. It rains a lot in Bergen, even in Summer so take a brolly with you, but the view from Mount Floyen is fantastic. There is a cable car up to the top. The restored houses of the Old Wharf of The Hanseatic League merchants at Bryggen ....the old quarter of Bergen...is a fascinating place too....you will love it.

Lottie,

I would love it if you would join us. 2016 is a little far out for us too but I really want to see Norway and the Fjords. I was hoping if we ever did this cruise, it would be with Captain Johannes, since he's from Norway and we've gotten to know many of the staff, but the Quest sounds wonderful too. I'm so looking forward to it.

Sadly, I don't think there will be any late deals on cabins...this is filling up quickly. If I had wanted to be a little more mid ship, there wasn't anything available when I looked yesterday.

I don't care for Guinness but I would love to have a beer with you and your man.

Pam...we're going to do Amsterdam prior to our cruise. So, I may be bending your ear for suggestions. My TA said he would help me with hotel reservations. It looks like I need to take a trip to the book store and see what's available for Norway and Amsterdam.

I really want to see Norway and the Fjords. I was hoping if we ever did this cruise, it would be with Captain Johannes, since he's from Norway and we've gotten to know many of the staff, but the Quest sounds wonderful too.

Didn't I read on one of the reviews of an earlier Quest Norway cruise that they had Captain Johannes? Do they switch him over because of his local knowledge?

Didn't I read on one of the reviews of an earlier Quest Norway cruise that they had Captain Johannes? Do they switch him over because of his local knowledge?

I don't know...I did not see that. That would be wonderful if it were true. I didn't know the Captains switched vessels.

Johannes has sailed the Quest. this is due to a captan in surgery.retiring, baby etc.. In each case he left the USA to fly to europe or where was needed vs bringing back the other captain of the Quest. I have been lucky been in Bergen 4 times and never had rain.

Don't know if they'll ask him to switch ships to do the fjords, but he told us this year he was asked to postpone his normal vacation dates and stay aboard Journey to captain the fjords cruise.