Norwegian Fjords Itinerary

CintiPam

I am considering the mid-August 2016 Norwegian fjords itinerary which is RT from Amsterdam, a very nice place from which to start a vacation. Has anyone taken this cruise? If so, I would love to read your thoughts about your experience.

Also, I am subject to seasickness. How rough are the seas going up the Norwegian coast?

Thanks in advance for your posts.

I have been on the North Sea several times including he JR. The ports are great.. Bergen -been 4 times and never done the same thing twice. Flam is a small town and everyone takes the train.. done that twice too. Aslabd, Molde etc seen them all. I took pills every sea day but never missed a meal or was sick... there is no way msot peopel would not notice the rough seas.. but it is so worth it due to the ports.. Autumn Lass to get an idea i had to take pills to and from Icleand and in parts of Scotland. But please go. .thinking of doing it again one day.. I rather go back then do Alaska for a 3d time. /COLOR]

I am considering the mid-August 2016 Norwegian fjords itinerary which is RT from Amsterdam, a very nice place from which to start a vacation. Has anyone taken this cruise? If so, I would love to read your thoughts about your experience.

Also, I am subject to seasickness. How rough are the seas going up the Norwegian coast?

Thanks in advance for your posts.

Pam, do you follow Azamara's Facebook page? There's a photo album from the June Norwegian fjords cruise on the Journey. Lots of spectacular photos.

Meclazine, available free at the guest services desk. Or get some Bonine at a pharmacy over the counter.

Seas were fine on our June 2014 fjords cruise on Journey.

I use Bonine. I use it also for long bus trips.

I use Bonine. I use it also for long bus trips.

They've just introduced a travel size package of it too so it's easy to carry with you. I take one tablet every single day for at least the first five days on board whether the sea is calm as glass or not. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Especially when there's gorgeous scenery that you don't want to miss out on!

They've just introduced a travel size package of it too so it's easy to carry with you. I take one tablet every single day for at least the first five days on board whether the sea is calm as glass or not. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Especially when there's gorgeous scenery that you don't want to miss out on!

How small is the travel size? I seem to find packages of 16 and wish it was 30. I count my sea days then double it for bus rides. Figure I will need many in Asia.. Crossing to japan I have been told is rough. Not miss much scenery as the worse is the North Sea so far.

It's a beatiful cruise to take and I do indeed think it's better than Alaska. The southern part of the trip around Geiranger and Bergen is very pretty as is Olden if you go there. It gradually gets more barren as you move north up toward the Arctic Circle and beyond. We had some bouncier days, but generally were ok. One of the things about this itinerary is it spends quite a bit of the time within the fjords, sheltered from the worst of any rougher seas.

Phil

I forgot to say how light it is out...about 24 hours of daylight. makes it great to walk around. also i have beenlucky and have had some very warm days with the sun shinning.. Everything in Norway is expensive but meals were great .. did some hiking and saw several museums.. many cities you can do your own thing vs a guide..

Thanks to all who have posted so far. I really like this itinerary. I am a bit worried about museum-dependent spouse enduring a scenery-only trip but a few days in Amsterdam, with the newly-reopend Rijksmuseet and Van Gogh museums, should help him tough it out. :)

I spent a few days in Norway on a Scandinavian land trip with my sister in June 2007, including two days in Bergen and one day doing the Flam railway, and it was so enjoyable.

I also am hoping that dining onboard will save me from any $30 burger lunches plus we can do many ports on our own.

Pam, do you follow Azamara's Facebook page? There's a photo album from the June Norwegian fjords cruise on the Journey. Lots of spectacular photos.

Thanks, Deidre. I do not follow the FB page, so I definitely will check it out.

Thanks to all who have posted so far. I really like this itinerary. I am a bit worried about museum-dependent spouse enduring a scenery-only trip but a few days in Amsterdam, with the newly-reopend Rijksmuseet and Van Gogh museums, should help him tough it out. :)

I spent a few days in Norway on a Scandinavian land trip with my sister in June 2007, including two days in Bergen and one day doing the Flam railway, and it was so enjoyable.

I also am hoping that dining onboard will save me from any $30 burger lunches plus we can do many ports on our own.

Bergen has 4 museums. .when i was there last you could do all 4 for 100 Koners.. also Edward Geirgs house is there. There a music museum in Tromo if i have the correct town .i also did a small museum up a hill in one port.. there is history there you just need to get the Norway book at B&N and read it there.

food- i ate most lunches out and there is notihng cheap but everyone goes to eat at he market in bergen.

Perhaps we will sail together! :)

I don't know why I was thinking this was the Journey but I see it's the Quest.

I'll be watching for promos...right now I'm not terribly impressed with the latest promo.

I don't normally book vacations that far out, but this may be an exception.

Maybe we will be shipmates.:D

I follow the FB page but I did not see it. I'll have to check it out as well.

You know, I swear there was a blog post somewhere that tied in with all the photos but for the life of me I can't find it. Maybe Bonnie will see this and chime in. I wish that cruise wasn't so expensive because I'd be on it in a heartbeat. :o

You know, I swear there was a blog post somewhere that tied in with all the photos but for the life of me I can't find it. Maybe Bonnie will see this and chime in. I wish that cruise wasn't so expensive because I'd be on it in a heartbeat. :o

I hope Bonnie does chime in...I would love to read it.

If we do this cruise, we will be spending some of the kids' inheritance. I'm always a little hesitant about booking so far out though. I know many cruisers do it...we're just not accustomed to it.

As much as I love Azamara, I will definitely "shop around" for this one. Best price along with a great cruise line gets my business.

This is the first cruise I booked, I thought it would be first cruise ever but since then I also booked us on the Nov. 1, 2015 South France & Spain cruise. What can I say? It's catching.

If booking this Norwegian voyage, however, I'd say book early because better cabins are inventory sensitive.

The South France/Spain cruise will be the first for Jim, other than our exquisite barge trip on the Canal Briare in the Upper Loire Valley in June. I last cruised in 1968 (age 18) on The Panama Line from Cristobal to New Orleans. That line now is defunct.

Edited by OctoberKat