Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

You look adorable! But I think, just keeping with the dress code, a sport coat a the minimum would be better. He could try it, but I would have a sport coat (or suit and tie) in the ready just in case. That attire looks great for the casual nights. I love bow ties!!!! But go with the solid color shirt . . .

Just read the part where you lost your job . . so sorry! I hope this cruise is extra special and that you are fortunate enough to gain employment soon!!!. Good Luck.

Edited by Deenie33

Not sure if this has been asked, I am a very very very casual guy, traveling with my young family (2 years old and 12 years old) on Celebrity Millennium on the Transpacific cruise in April.

I am traveling to Tibet before going on the cruise, and prefer not to lug around extra luggage (it's hard enough with my 2 year old son).

I have a custom suit, that I wear for weddings, but neither of my kids have anything remotely fancy. It seems a waste to have one made just for the cruise. What are the options for young children? Are there jackets available to borrow or rent (cost?)

If I only pack t-shirts and maybe a few polo shirts, how much of the cruise will I be missing out on? I can live without using the main dining hall on formal nights. I can just get room service--right?

We spend quite a few nights at sea, so your input would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if this has been asked, I am a very very very casual guy, traveling with my young family (2 years old and 12 years old) on Celebrity Millennium on the Transpacific cruise in April.

I am traveling to Tibet before going on the cruise, and prefer not to lug around extra luggage (it's hard enough with my 2 year old son).

I have a custom suit, that I wear for weddings, but neither of my kids have anything remotely fancy. It seems a waste to have one made just for the cruise. What are the options for young children? Are there jackets available to borrow or rent (cost?)

If I only pack t-shirts and maybe a few polo shirts, how much of the cruise will I be missing out on? I can live without using the main dining hall on formal nights. I can just get room service--right?

So long as the parents are dressed acceptably I don't think anyone really cares how the kids are dressed. They won't need jackets.

Polo shirts are fine everywhere, every night EXCEPT formal night in the MDR. Even there you might have no problem depending on who is on the door. You'll be missing out on nothing apart from that.

If you can afford it take the family to Qsine on formal night. No formal wear required and great fun for kids (although obviously the 2-year-old wont be able to fully appreciate it :)).

Room service, the buffet, and Bistro on 5 are all options for you on formal nights.

People pay well too much attention to dress codes in the MDR and formal nights. Sure some people dress for royalty and others do not. It simply depends upon the individual, because in reality no one cares what you wear they are too busy engrossed in their own little world enjoying themselves.

If someone gets picky them they are not enjoying themselves enough and should get on with life.

Regarding formal nights:- Apart from putting on ones best bib and tucker they are no different than any other night in the MDR. Sure you may get over cooked lobster tails or duck a la orange on one formal night but really if you don't want to get all trussed up like a chook its not worth it.

We have just spent 34 days on the Solstice over two cruises and ate in the MDR 5 times on cruise 1 and twice on cruise 2. We found the informality more appealing in the buffet and I am sure your youngsters will as well.

If you decide to take your youngsters to the MDR for a meal as long as they are clean and tidy no one will care.

The minimum standard for formal night these days is shirt, jacket and trousers. Ties are not required. Once at your table removal of the jacket is also commonplace.

I would not take too much notice of the hoy paloy here on Cruise Critic who complain about Dress standards because one should face realiity and in the real world dressing down, not up, is becoming the norm and the Cruise lines realise that. Shorts and shirt are acceptable outside the MDR any night even in the theatre.

People pay well too much attention to dress codes in the MDR and formal nights. Sure some people dress for royalty and others do not. It simply depends upon the individual, because in reality no one cares what you wear they are too busy engrossed in their own little world enjoying themselves.

If someone gets picky them they are not enjoying themselves enough and should get on with life.

Regarding formal nights:- Apart from putting on ones best bib and tucker they are no different than any other night in the MDR. Sure you may get over cooked lobster tails or duck a la orange on one formal night but really if you don't want to get all trussed up like a chook its not worth it.

We have just spent 34 days on the Solstice over two cruises and ate in the MDR 5 times on cruise 1 and twice on cruise 2. We found the informality more appealing in the buffet and I am sure your youngsters will as well.

If you decide to take your youngsters to the MDR for a meal as long as they are clean and tidy no one will care.

The minimum standard for formal night these days is shirt, jacket and trousers. Ties are not required. Once at your table removal of the jacket is also commonplace.

I would not take too much notice of the hoy paloy here on Cruise Critic who complain about Dress standards because one should face realiity and in the real world dressing down, not up, is becoming the norm and the Cruise lines realise that. Shorts and shirt are acceptable outside the MDR any night even in the theatre.

Removal of the jacket when sitting is strange behavior for anyone above about 13.

As others have said, kids tend to be given even more slack than adults on formal nights. But I would still avoid shorts or t-shirts. Long pants and a polo shirt should suffice (for boys).

Fortunately slacks and dress shirt tend to be thin and lightweight, so throwing in a few and reusing them over and over through the cruise uses up minimal luggage space/weight. Just get in the habit of changing before and after dinner. 7 two hour dinners equals about 1 day of normal use.

There's laundry service on the ship too, although it's not exactly cheap (check the FAQ on the cruiseline website for prices). On longer cruises, we actually do a little bit of laundry of our own on a day at sea. Bring some Woolite in a little travel bottle (they sell little packets too). Wash things lightweight that you don't care if they get a little wrinkled (underwear, socks, even some casual shirts or shorts) in the sink, rinse in the shower, squeeze as much water out as you can, then spread them out flat on a new towel (ask the steward for extras that day) and carefully roll the towel up. Let that sit for 15 minutes or so. The towel sucks about 80% of the water out. Then unroll and hang up. By the next day, lightweight stuff should be dry. If you do that, you only need to pack half as many.

You can always go to the buffet (always casual) in lieu of the MDR. The buffet is OK but it's easy to get tired of. We do most of our breakfasts and/or lunches there. We much prefer the MDR for dinner. The food is better as is the experience of being waited on with a 3 course meal rather than the cattle car that is the buffet.

For formal nights, we often get by fine with slacks, dark dress shirt, and tie (no jacket). And dark shoes. Haven't been turned away yet.

Edited by dbsb3233

Removal of the jacket when sitting is strange behavior for anyone above about 13.

Eating with a jacket on seems ridiculously impractical to me. It's uncomfortable and the cuffs get in the way. If doing what I think seems practical and sensible means that some people think I am strange then so be it.

Eating with a jacket on seems ridiculously impractical to me. It's uncomfortable and the cuffs get in the way. If doing what I think seems practical and sensible means that some people think I am strange then so be it.

IF your jacket fits, they don't get in the way.

Most people don't wear a jacket that fits.

My point about the finicky dress police has been justified

That's not anything related to cruising. Go into any restaurant where guys were coats, and you will see that >90% leave them on.

With that said, I don't care if you ever wear it to dinner at all. I'm of the opinion that as long as guys wear a nice shirt and some non-denim pants, that's sufficient given the way society has moved. Formal dress is just not something most people do anymore.

But, if you're going to dress formally, don't stop halfway and take your jacket off all night. Just don't wear one.

FWIW, here would be my "wish list" for cruiselines regarding formal nights to accomodate both the "we like formal" and "we don't like formal" customers...

Most cruiselines have added "Anytime" dining ("Select" in Celebrity's case), as not everyone likes the strict, traditional formality of everyone seating for dinner at the same time, and being seated at large tables with strangers. Formal dress is more suited to that tradition, especially when sharing the same table with random guests.

Anytime dining is already a more casual break from that staunch tradition. Those dining areas usually have smaller tables where each party is usually seated at their own table. There's often a separate entrance, and a separate dining room or level for Anytime dining.

So... a simple solution would be to make formal nights continue to apply to Traditional dining, but let every night of Anytime dining follow the usual Smart Casual guideline.

I know some people say "well you always have the option of going to the buffet" (instead of dressing formally), but everyone has already paid for the nicer MDR meals and service as part of the cruise fare. So it seems everyone ought to be able to get those without undue burden. Smart casual clothing is not really much of a burden (for packing in limited luggage space/weight) since it's commonly what many people wear normally through the day anyway. But that's not the case with formal wear, which is "extra" clothing that takes up valuable extra luggage space/weight just to wear for a couple of hours.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

Edited by dbsb3233

Matt, we also travel with our kids. For formal night we pack a suit and tie, for smart casual its solid color dress shirt and tie with khakis, for casual polo shirt with khakis. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Matt, we also travel with our kids. For formal night we pack a suit and tie, for smart casual its solid color dress shirt and tie with khakis, for casual polo shirt with khakis. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just for clarification Celebrity only has two published dress guidelines for the evening in the MDR. “Smart Casual and Above” and “Formal”. They use to have three.

Edited by davekathy

I know some people say "well you always have the option of going to the buffet" (instead of dressing formally), but everyone has already paid for the nicer MDR meals and service as part of the cruise fare.

An argument often made here, but a completely specious one. You've already paid for the nicer MDR meals and service as part of your cruise fare, GIVEN that you've also agreed in your cruise contract to abide by and follow the policies and rules of the cruise line.

For instance, a similarly specious argument could be made that you've already paid for the use of your balcony, so you shouldn't have to go elsewhere if you wish to smoke. That would ALSO not be true.

Just for clarification Celebrity only has two published dress guidelines for the evening in the MDR. “Smart Casual and Above” and “Formal”. They use to have three.

The three this person listed are still in effect. The three dining room dress codes used to be Formal, Informal, and Casual. There is a difference between smart casual and casual.

The three this person listed are still in effect. The three dining room dress codes used to be Formal, Informal, and Casual. There is a difference between smart casual and casual.

Just for my own curiosity, where is it published in Celebrity’s Brochures or on Celebrity Website listing the three separate dress guidelines? I know what the three evening dress guidelines use to be.

An argument often made here, but a completely specious one. You've already paid for the nicer MDR meals and service as part of your cruise fare, GIVEN that you've also agreed in your cruise contract to abide by and follow the policies and rules of the cruise line.

For instance, a similarly specious argument could be made that you've already paid for the use of your balcony, so you shouldn't have to go elsewhere if you wish to smoke. That would ALSO not be true.

Smoking isn't something you're paying for in your cruise fare. That's a wholly inapt comparison.

And of course there's a dress code. No one is saying that there shouldn't be a dress code at all, and that people should be allowed into the MDR wearing a bikini and flip-flops. What I was offering was my opinion on what I would LIKE to see the cruiselines move toward as a compromise, especially since many have already moved toward less staunch tradition by offering Anytime dining now with private tables.

Do they provide lesser options for those that don't want to devote 10% of their limited luggage space/weight to bring a suit that they'll never use anywhere else on the trip? Of course. But they are lesser options, and the packing issue is a real issue for many people. I'm only talking about a policy adjustment that will allow people into Anytime dining with the same dress they're allowed to wear any other night. That's hardly unreasonable.

By hey, it's not like they're gonna change the policy base on my opinion alone. Although I do hope that some cruiseline management peruse these forums on occasion to get customer feedback (from MULTIPLE sides of these issues).

Edited by dbsb3233

There are plenty of options available for people who don't care to dress up for a couple of nights.

Thankfully most people don't come here to find out what they should wear. This thread has become a joke.

I agree! There are many options, it is only the dining room that requires formal on a few nights. We usually eat in Blu to avoid it all but take passable formal just in case. Use a formal night for an upgraded resturant if you do not want to pack. It wasn't that long ago there were hardly any options. Now there are.

To be honest, I can't really tell anymore that formal meals are much better than others. Certainly not as in years past.

Just for my own curiosity, where is it published in Celebrity’s Brochures or on Celebrity Website listing the three separate dress guidelines? I know what the three evening dress guidelines use to be.

That's not what I said. If it's not formal or smart casual it's casual. Shorts, t-shirts, scruffy pants and shirts, etc. I'm sure you've seen plenty of what some people would consider smart casual that isn't. The lady was only giving examples of what they wear and what she considers them to be.

When Celebrity changed the dress codes they gave a big explanation of what they were trying to accomplish. They said that many people didn't understand what the word "informal" meant and they were showing up looking too casual. They wanted to make sure that people would make an effort to look nice in the dining room and thought the description "smart casual" would do the trick.

Obviously, for many, they were wrong.

I agree! There are many options, it is only the dining room that requires formal on a few nights. We usually eat in Blu to avoid it all but take passable formal just in case. Use a formal night for an upgraded resturant if you do not want to pack. It wasn't that long ago there were hardly any options. Now there are.

To be honest, I can't really tell anymore that formal meals are much better than others. Certainly not as in years past.

Certainly better than the buffet though (both food and service), which is the only viable alternative without paying surcharges. Personally I don't find the premium restaurants to be $30 or $40 (per person) better than the MDR. MDR food/service is still pretty good on the whole, although some nights are better than others.

I guess there is room service too, but I don't see that as a viable alternative for a full meal unless you have a suite with an actual table and chairs in it.

I wouldn't say that Celebrity is being *unreasable* by requiring formal clothing on some nights in the MDR. But I am saying it would be MORE reasonable to allow smart casual every night for Select seating MDR rooms while retaining the formal requirement in Traditional dining MDR rooms.

(Of course, nothing prevents anyone from dressing formal anyway if they so choose, even on Smart casual nights.)

Smoking isn't something you're paying for in your cruise fare. That's a wholly inapt comparison.

It's a fine comparison. Being able to smoke aboard the ship is a reasonable expectation GIVEN that you follow the line's rules and policies. Similarly, being able to enjoy dinner in the MDR is a reasonable expectation GIVEN that you follow the line's rules and policies.

You're right, smoking isn't something you're specifically paying for in your cruise fare, BUT neither is dinner specifically in the MDR, unless you'd like to point me to that part of the contract - I can't seem to locate it.

Certainly better than the buffet though (both food and service), which is the only viable alternative without paying surcharges. Personally I don't find the premium restaurants to be $30 or $40 (per person) better than the MDR. MDR food/service is still pretty good on the whole, although some nights are better than others.

I guess there is room service too, but I don't see that as a viable alternative for a full meal unless you have a suite with an actual table and chairs in it.

I wouldn't say that Celebrity is being *unreasable* by requiring formal clothing on some nights in the MDR. But I am saying it would be MORE reasonable to allow smart casual every night for Select seating MDR rooms while retaining the formal requirement in Traditional dining MDR rooms.

(Of course, nothing prevents anyone from dressing formal anyway if they so choose, even on Smart casual nights.)

There are many of us who dine in Select Dining and enjoy Formal Nights. The compromise was made when they provided all the other options for people who don't care to participate in Formal Evenings. There is no Formal Night if everyone can just wear what they like. It's interesting that no matter what they have done it's never enough for the casual folks.

You can be sure that if they ever do away with the Formal Nights the next battle will be that then people want to wear their shorts and t-shirts to dinner. Maybe they should just turn the dining room into a McDonalds and they could really save some money by not having to provide a nice dining experience.

There are lots of kinds of vacation experiences. Cruising has always been one of those experiences that was a little more special and provided an opportunity for a couple of special nights where everyone shines.

There are a lot of things that may not especially appeal to me but I wouldn't want them discontinued because it may not be something I like. In fact there are times when I don't feel like dressing up either. Then I just choose one of the other alternatives. It's not just about ME. It would be one thing if there were no other choices but that's not the case.

This one of the things that amazes me. Many people came to Celebrity because they had a more upscale cruise experience at a reasonable price. The corporate people take their cue from the people they attract. If people insist on always bringing things down to the minimum thing they can get away with, so will the cruise line. Why give an upscale experience to people who don't care?

I know Ma Bell. We like Celebrity a lot. However it costs more and more and cuts are there, except for suites. We have been exclusive to them since 2011. But .. Will there be a reason to be if all the lines are now the same quality with the same cuts. May as well go with price.

I actually think some of posts supporting the cuts and standards can be undermining the brand.

Personally we would be okay with smart casual. And I hope with new suite restaurant does not somehow erode the others. In fact, I hope it gets an upgrade.