Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

An opinion is something you state when you know there is insufficient evidence to prove it but it fits with your personal experience. It is also often coloured by hyperbole.

I have never been in a situation in my life where a tie was required - that is fact. No club, restaurant, workplace or event has ever refused me entry because I didn't wear a tie, whatever their stated dress code may be. Now I'll admit I haven't been everywhere or done everything so there may well be places or situations where they are required but until I encounter that for myself I will hang on to my opinion.

Not sure if it is different in Australia than the US, but I have never been to an event that requires (as Celebrity's formal night attire for men does) a Tux, Dinner Jacket or Suit where those attending have not worn a tie. This observation comes from over 40 plus years of business, civic and community involvement.

Not sure if it is different in Australia than the US, but I have never been to an event that requires (as Celebrity's formal night attire for men does) a Tux, Dinner Jacket or Suit where those attending have not worn a tie. This observation comes from over 40 plus years of business, civic and community involvement.

Maybe it is different here. There is not a single event I can think of that an average person in Australia might attend that would require a tux or dinner jacket. Maybe a suit but I guarantee there'd be at least a few men without ties. The one exception I can think of is a High School formal but that is more of a fancy dress party for kids. Even then you wouldn't see anyone excluded if they chose not to wear a tie.

Maybe it is different here. There is not a single event I can think of that an average person in Australia might attend that would require a tux or dinner jacket. Maybe a suit but I guarantee there'd be at least a few men without ties. The one exception I can think of is a High School formal but that is more of a fancy dress party for kids. Even then you wouldn't see anyone excluded if they chose not to wear a tie.

Well this has been a very heated thread. IMHO think both Gek and Ordinary Chef have hit it on the head, the dress code is as much about the cultural norms of you home country as it is Celebrity's guidance and people may see no reason to dress different to how they would normally do at home.

In the UK things can still be very formal both business and social. My DH does not own a pair of blue jeans and has not worn them since his mid-30s. It would not be considered acceptable even on dress down day. Business wear always involves a jacket or suit and client dinners are often black tie. His most casual trousers are chinos.

On the other hand, my teenage DS attends a traditional English boarding school, jackets and ties are worn everyday and the boys are not permitted to remove them even for breakfast or lunch. At his previous school, there were 2 formal dinners per week to ensure that boys learnt social skills for which boys had a separate "uniform" which was different from their day wear. Even though boys were as young as 8 years old they were expected to wear a white long sleeve shirt, jacket, knee shorts (like Bermudas) long knee socks and black polished shoes. Long trousers were permitted only when they were mature enough. Their dress was inspected and failure to dress correctly they were sent back to correct whatever was wrong. It may surprise you to learn that my DS school is not considered the most formal, he does not need his suit for church on Sunday and compared to Eton with their frock coats, Harrow its boaters he has got of pretty lightly.

As others have commented, the UK and mainland Europe can be more formal including children especially on longer cruises. This perhaps reflects the long history and culture or the fact many countries still have royalty and social class structures.

imagejpg1.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture quality but this is Alex the cruise director at the Captain's Club Celebration party.

Anyone who has not witnessed the casual trend on board does not realize that this attire will not prevent you from entering the MDR in the evening on non formal nights.

I will try to take a picture tonight, formal night, to demonstrate what is now standard practice rather than the suggested code on board a Modern Luxury experience.

The number of passengers following the dress code on any given night seems proportional to those adhering to the speed limit on any interstate.

Traditionalists will soon realize that tuxes and even suits are in decline and that the barbarians are at the gates. Celebrity has attracted a younger crowd and tradition is not in their vocabulary let alone in their wardrobe.

The number of passengers following the dress code on any given night seems proportional to those adhering to the speed limit on any interstate.

Traditionalists will soon realize that tuxes and even suits are in decline and that the barbarians are at the gates. Celebrity has attracted a younger crowd and tradition is not in their vocabulary let alone in their wardrobe.

Time marches on and change happens - this is true of most things. For me cruising, as opposed to other modes of vacation, is about the romance where every night is date night ;) When the Celebrity experience reaches a point where that is so diminished - then we will move on to another line.

I hope as Celebrity evolves they will realize that there are a good number of its customers that value what the dress code has to offer and will continue in some way to allow for that. Until then it will be tux or dinner jacket for dh and gowns for me. We have X cruises booked for '16 & '17 and will reassess which line works for us when those are over.

Edited by Jane2357

I really wasn't going to get into this apart from the question I asked a couple of pages ago, but seeing the feeds coming through to my email since I just have to say some things before leaving this thread for good- and I am aware after this post some will say good riddance to me- that's OK.

Firstly, THANK-YOU very much to those who tried to genuinely answer my question, you help was invaluable :):)

however-

1. People come to this thread for genuine help, they get contradictory views (no problem) delivered by scathing, self-righteous bigots on BOTH sides of the fence with personal attacks on each other ranging from not only the 'topic' at hand but at their lifestyle, values, even spelling and grammar.

2. This behavior does not win any 'converts', mostly it makes the rest of us feel hopeful we never have to spend time with the perpetrators on a cruise, or anywhere else for that matter.

3. Anyone who feels they can speak for their country, perhaps check with the other millions first ie. "In Australia people don't wear ties unless a school formal /fancy dress" - I have been to many many functions both day and night where suits and ties are worn, and many where they are not both city and country.

4. I am sorry but WHAT is the photo above supposed to mean to any side of your 'argument', is this on a formal night in the MDR? No? Then it is completely irrelevant.

Finally- WHERE ARE THE MODERATORS OF THIS THREAD please intercede, all it is doing is putting people off Celebrity Cruises due to bad behavior .

BTW does anyone know how to stop this just this thread feeding me alerts? The others I watch I want to keep, they are positive and helpful and fun and make me look forward to my next cruise.

Edited by debstep

I really wasn't going to get into this apart from the question I asked a couple of pages ago, but seeing the feeds coming through to my email since I just have to say some things before leaving this thread for good- and I am aware after this post some will say good riddance to me- that's OK.

Firstly, THANK-YOU very much to those who tried to genuinely answer my question, you help was invaluable :):)

however-

1. People come to this thread for genuine help, they get contradictory views (no problem) delivered by scathing, self-righteous bigots on BOTH sides of the fence with personal attacks on each other ranging from not only the 'topic' at hand but at their lifestyle, values, even spelling and grammar.

2. This behavior does not win any 'converts', mostly it makes the rest of us feel hopeful we never have to spend time with the perpetrators on a cruise, or anywhere else for that matter.

3. Anyone who feels they can speak for their country, perhaps check with the other millions first ie. "In Australia people don't wear ties unless a school formal /fancy dress" - I have been to many many functions both day and night where suits and ties are worn, and many where they are not both city and country.

4. I am sorry but WHAT is the photo above supposed to mean to any side of your 'argument', is this on a formal night in the MDR? No? Then it is completely irrelevant.

Finally- WHERE ARE THE MODERATORS OF THIS THREAD please intercede, all it is doing is putting people off Celebrity Cruises due to bad behavior .

BTW does anyone know how to stop this just this thread feeding me alerts? The others I watch I want to keep, they are positive and helpful and fun and make me look forward to my next cruise.

Greetings

At the bottom of the screen you will find "thread tools". There you can hit "unsubscribe".

Good Sailing

Tom

Mine's at the top of the page. Just checked at the bottom, and can't see any thread tools at the bottom of my page?

Greetings

It doesn't appear when you are posting, only when you are viewing the thread. At the very bottom of the thread page there is an ad below which there are "thread tools" below that "display modes" and below that "posting rules".

That's at least how my screen appears.

Good Sailing

Tom

Well this has been a very heated thread. IMHO think both Gek and Ordinary Chef have hit it on the head, the dress code is as much about the cultural norms of you home country as it is Celebrity's guidance and people may see no reason to dress different to how they would normally do at home.

In the UK things can still be very formal both business and social. My DH does not own a pair of blue jeans and has not worn them since his mid-30s. It would not be considered acceptable even on dress down day. Business wear always involves a jacket or suit and client dinners are often black tie. His most casual trousers are chinos.

On the other hand, my teenage DS attends a traditional English boarding school, jackets and ties are worn everyday and the boys are not permitted to remove them even for breakfast or lunch. At his previous school, there were 2 formal dinners per week to ensure that boys learnt social skills for which boys had a separate "uniform" which was different from their day wear. Even though boys were as young as 8 years old they were expected to wear a white long sleeve shirt, jacket, knee shorts (like Bermudas) long knee socks and black polished shoes. Long trousers were permitted only when they were mature enough. Their dress was inspected and failure to dress correctly they were sent back to correct whatever was wrong. It may surprise you to learn that my DS school is not considered the most formal, he does not need his suit for church on Sunday and compared to Eton with their frock coats, Harrow its boaters he has got of pretty lightly.

As others have commented, the UK and mainland Europe can be more formal including children especially on longer cruises. This perhaps reflects the long history and culture or the fact many countries still have royalty and social class structures.

I wear a suit every day to work. I am senior partner in a small professional firm in Scotland. We dispensed with ties a number of years ago unless we visit clients. The we assess what is expected by the client. I still use a bow tie on formal occasions and on formal evenings when we cruis. It is all kart of the outfit which would look silly without a tie.

You don't see many kilt outfits sans tie unless it is very late at night.

Greetings

It doesn't appear when you are posting, only when you are viewing the thread. At the very bottom of the thread page there is an ad below which there are "thread tools" below that "display modes" and below that "posting rules".

That's at least how my screen appears.

Good Sailing

Tom

Wow, that's strange! My "thread tools" and "display modes" are at the top, on either side of "search this thread." Nothing at the bottom except "posting rules."

3. Anyone who feels they can speak for their country, perhaps check with the other millions first ie. "In Australia people don't wear ties unless a school formal /fancy dress" - I have been to many many functions both day and night where suits and ties are worn, and many where they are not both city and country

Read back and I think you'll find you completely misquoted me. I never said suits and ties weren't worn. I was talking about tuxes and dinner jackets and simply said you will always find a few people without ties.

At one time senior officers wore dress whites on formal evenings.

At one time Captain's Club Celebrations were smart casual.

At one time formal nights were followed by semi casual.

Now the senior officers no longer have formal attire, cruise directors wear casual attire to formerly smart casual events and more and more passengers wear semi formal attire on formal evenings.

Expect less formal wear to be replaced by casual attire as the standard.

The picture of the CD wearing casual attire shows where Celebrity is heading.

I wear a suit every day to work. I am senior partner in a small professional firm in Scotland. We dispensed with ties a number of years ago unless we visit clients. The we assess what is expected by the client. I still use a bow tie on formal occasions and on formal evenings when we cruis. It is all kart of the outfit which would look silly without a tie.

You don't see many kilt outfits sans tie unless it is very late at night.

Re-read my comment can see how it could be misunderstood. Bear with me, I will have another go at being at least half coherent as I was obviously having one of my senior moments previously.

The point I so poorly made was that even during meal times, boys at DS school are expected to continue wearing their jackets (no placing it on back of chair). From getting dressed in the morning until the end of teaching in afternoon, they wear a jacket and tie. Accept it is about following rules in that context, but if kids can manage this why is wearing a jacket with or without tie, formal black tie or any permutation in between to dinner for a couple of hours considered problematic and controversial for adults unless I am missing something.

Like yourself, my DH is a partner but at a global technology firm and one of his bug bears are the number of very bright and talented graduates they receive each year who do not know how to dress appropriately especially when meeting clients.

Hi Andy, this is our first cruise and, after reading many posts on this note, I am more confused than ever. It seems you are very knowledgeable on this, so I will take any advice you give me. For dinner in the main dining room, is it appropriate for women to wear black slacks and sweater and men, Khakis and dress shirt? Is it okay to wear jeans in the bistros and bars for dinner? We are not "Formal" at all, so will probably skip formal night but, am I correct in understanding that this is just for the main dinning room?

As far as dress for day time on the ship are jeans and sweaters appropriate? I am getting a little anxious that we won't have the proper attire, so need to plan ahead.

Thank you for your advice :)

Hi Andy, this is our first cruise and, after reading many posts on this note, I am more confused than ever. It seems you are very knowledgeable on this, so I will take any advice you give me. For dinner in the main dining room, is it appropriate for women to wear black slacks and sweater and men, Khakis and dress shirt? Is it okay to wear jeans in the bistros and bars for dinner? We are not "Formal" at all, so will probably skip formal night but, am I correct in understanding that this is just for the main dinning room?

As far as dress for day time on the ship are jeans and sweaters appropriate? I am getting a little anxious that we won't have the proper attire, so need to plan ahead.

Thank you for your advice :)

I'm not Andy, but everything you mention is appropriate and fine. Black slacks & sweater for the lady and khakis & dress shirt for the man for all but formal nights is perfectly fine - and would even be appropriate for formal nights if the gentleman brings and wears a sport coat or blazer with them.

Jeans and sweaters during the day are fine - I assume you must be going on a cooler weather cruise? You'll swelter in jeans & sweater in the Caribbean! :)

Edited by LetsGetWet!

Just off 4 weeks on Eclipse and regret to report the was NO DRESS code at any time, anywhere on the ship. Formal night in the Sky Lounge there were people walking into the lounge in flip flops and bathing suits - it was gross. There was never any staff at the entrance, drink coupons were used for the entire cruise and officers and Captains Club staff were rarely present. If we wanted Carnival atmosphere we would have cruised on Carnival - it has really turned us off to Celebrity.

I'm not Andy, but everything you mention is appropriate and fine. Black slacks & sweater for the lady and khakis & dress shirt for the man for all but formal nights is perfectly fine - and would even be appropriate for formal nights if the gentleman brings and wears a sport coat or blazer with them.

Jeans and sweaters during the day are fine - I assume you must be going on a cooler weather cruise? You'll swelter in jeans & sweater in the Caribbean! :)

Additionally, the dress code is only for the MDR and if you are on a Caribbean cruise the majority will be in shorts and t shirts during the day. Shorts are also allowed in the evenings throughout the ship except the dining rooms.