Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Very true! I've seen very few that are truly formal and none that are in cut-offs and flip-flops.

One of the problems with these discussions is people seem to want to argue extremes. Personally, I'm just happy if women wear cocktail/evening wear and the men, a jacket and tie.

I'm with you.

BUT…

I'm still not with those who crtiicize others, act like police, or who have a polarizing, demeaning and suffocating agenda. And I definitely am not with anyone who calls out a man who wears a shirt and tie without a jacket as someone who is looking silly or whose outfit could be construed as someone who is not trying.

Everyone needs to mind their own business. No one has to be accountable to anyone on Cruise Critic on what they decide to wear on board.

Agree... And since that's all that's required by Celebrity's dress code, that's all that can be reasonably expected.

No offense, but if this comes from the website, how often is the website criticiszed for being wrong? Is this aspect of the website the rare time that its right?

How many new people come and read posts about ignore the website, its been wrong for years?

Pendulum swings both ways.

Make Celebrity 'right' their website before posters are admonished for not adhereing to it after reports from other guest who suggest something alternative exists and are admonished as well.

Edited by MizDemeanor

Very true! I've seen very few that are truly formal and none that are in cut-offs and flip-flops.

One of the problems with these discussions is people seem to want to argue extremes. Personally, I'm just happy if women wear cocktail/evening wear and the men, a jacket and tie.

Agree... And since that's all that's required by Celebrity's dress code, that's all that can be reasonably expected.

Minus the tie, right?

Edited by Scott2.0

Everyone needs to mind their own business. No one has to be accountable to anyone on Cruise Critic on what they decide to wear on board.

True, but you ARE accountable to Celebrity & their rules on what you decide to wear.

No offense, but if this comes from the website, how often is the website criticiszed for being wrong? Is this aspect of the website the rare time that its right?

How many new people come and read posts about ignore the website, its been wrong for years?

Pendulum swings both ways.

Make Celebrity 'right' their website before posters are admonished for not adhereing to it after reports from other guest who suggest something alternative exists and are admonished as well.

Nice try... :rolleyes: As has been pointed out earlier in the thread, what's on website regarding dress is echoed in the cruise contract - you know, that document you agreed to as part of your cruise? Since the contract agrees with the website, that's pretty good evidence that this isn't a case of the website being wrong. ;)

I keep vowing myself off of this thread...to just not read it anymore, and every once in a while I end up giving in and reading it. It's just such a shame. So many ppl come on here asking very valid ???'s about the appropriate dress code for Celebrity---for either formal, or non formal nights. Admittedly, I am a big fan of formal nights--for a variety of reasons, that I won't bother boring you with. And there are also many cruisers that aren't fans of formal night--and that's perfectly fine; you're completely entitled to your opinions as well. The thing is, however, is that many ppl have asked how they "should dress" for non/formal nights. I don't think personal opinions should be given...it should be what Celebrity suggests as dress code that is relayed back to them. I would be completely mortified if I had never cruised before and came on here and asked an innocent question and took the answers on here as being "appropriate" and found myself under/over dressed onboard or in ports.

As far as responding with--'me not worrying about what others around me are wearing', believe me, I don't...albeit it's really nice when you see others adhering to Celebrity's guidelines and make the effort to dress for casual night, however, it doesn't ruin my night.

As well, yes, I realize that "times, they are a changing" as many ppl have indicated...and you're absolutely right. However, I think you have to wait for CELEBRITY to decide that "times, they are a changing" before you pass that on to other people who are asking for suggestions on what they should pack.

As has been said many times, there are options for other dining, or even other cruise lines, if you want to avoid formal nights. In fact, my DH and I just booked a different cruise line for our European cruise, because we would be travelling for some time in Europe before our cruise, would be very port intensive on the cruise, and don't necessarily want to dress and/or pack for formal nights. So, there are always options for people.

Just please don't give these innocent people misinformation of the dress code through your individual opinions because you think times are a changing and Celebrity needs to adhere.

Happy cruising! :)

True, but you ARE accountable to Celebrity & their rules on what you decide to wear.

Nice try... :rolleyes: As has been pointed out earlier in the thread, what's on website regarding dress is echoed in the cruise contract - you know, that document you agreed to as part of your cruise? Since the contract agrees with the website, that's pretty good evidence that this isn't a case of the website being wrong. ;)

Please show me where in the contract it says I have to wear Formal Attire and then we can discuss this further. Because if the cruise contract contains language that I must dress a certain way and guests who dont follow that contract aren't bring off put by the cruise line then why on earth should they be off put by you ?

Please show me where in the contract it says I have to wear Formal Attire and then we can discuss this further. Because if the cruise contract contains language that I must dress a certain way and guests who dont follow that contract aren't bring off put by the cruise line then why on earth should they be off put by you ?

Contract states that you agree to follow the rules of the ship.

I keep vowing myself off of this thread...to just not read it anymore, and every once in a while I end up giving in and reading it. It's just such a shame. So many ppl come on here asking very valid ???'s about the appropriate dress code for Celebrity---for either formal, or non formal nights. Admittedly, I am a big fan of formal nights--for a variety of reasons, that I won't bother boring you with. And there are also many cruisers that aren't fans of formal night--and that's perfectly fine; you're completely entitled to your opinions as well. The thing is, however, is that many ppl have asked how they "should dress" for non/formal nights. I don't think personal opinions should be given...it should be what Celebrity suggests as dress code that is relayed back to them. I would be completely mortified if I had never cruised before and came on here and asked an innocent question and took the answers on here as being "appropriate" and found myself under/over dressed onboard or in ports.

As far as responding with--'me not worrying about what others around me are wearing', believe me, I don't...albeit it's really nice when you see others adhering to Celebrity's guidelines and make the effort to dress for casual night, however, it doesn't ruin my night.

As well, yes, I realize that "times, they are a changing" as many ppl have indicated...and you're absolutely right. However, I think you have to wait for CELEBRITY to decide that "times, they are a changing" before you pass that on to other people who are asking for suggestions on what they should pack.

As has been said many times, there are options for other dining, or even other cruise lines, if you want to avoid formal nights. In fact, my DH and I just booked a different cruise line for our European cruise, because we would be travelling for some time in Europe before our cruise, would be very port intensive on the cruise, and don't necessarily want to dress and/or pack for formal nights. So, there are always options for people.

Just please don't give these innocent people misinformation of the dress code through your individual opinions because you think times are a changing and Celebrity needs to adhere.

Happy cruising! :)

Ooops...sorry, I meant to say, nice to see when ppl make the effort to dress for Formal nights.

Edited by mlrandpkm

I hadn't checked this thread for a while and can't believe that it's still going round and round. Can people just agree to disagree? We were on the Silhouette in December and did not see ANYONE turned away from the dining room on formal night. Almost everyone was dressed as suggested, but we saw a few jeans and even T-shirts and sandals that were being seated. We may not like it, but if Celebrity does not enforce their own "rules" then there's nothing the rest of us can do about it. We don't let other people's taste in clothing ruin our good time!

Brigitte

You're on shaky ground here. Your contract does state that you will comply with "all applicable rules, laws, policies and regulations". Admittedly, most of these are not defined in the cruise contract and it states that they could change at any time. So in theory Celebrity could introduce a new rule 5 minutes after you boarded the ship and you would be obliged to comply with it.

If while you are on board Celebrity chooses to enforce any aspect of the dress code then you must comply. On the other hand if they choose not to enforce a particular policy then I guess you can assume that is it not currently applicable.

So, some people want to skip the tie and some people want to skip the jacket. Anybody want to skip the shirt?

The dress code specifically mentions a jacket. A shirt is common sense. Why would a tie be required when not specified?

Still wondering. This is a genuine question I have.

Greetings

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. Some will say it's an unwritten part of the dress code that's inherent with tuxes and suits. Others will say that the dress code is as written and ties are not required.

Which ever answer you receive here will be attacked by one side or the other. That's the nature of dress code threads.

Good Sailing

Tom

Greetings

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. Some will say it's an unwritten part of the dress code that's inherent with tuxes and suits. Others will say that the dress code is as written and ties are not required.

Which ever answer you receive here will be attacked by one side or the other. That's the nature of dress code threads.

Good Sailing

Tom

Thanks, that actually makes a lot of sense. Damned either way! :D

/Personal opinion and RANT mode ON/

Ties are never required anywhere. They are ugly, unnecessary, impractical and demeaning (why would anyone willingly wear a leash unless into S&M?). I haven't worn one in a business or social environment in almost 30 years and neither the world nor my life (or anyone else's) has suffered as a result.

/RANT mode OFF/

Ties are never required anywhere. They are ugly, unnecessary, impractical and demeaning (why would anyone willingly wear a leash unless into S&M?). I haven't worn one in a business or social environment in almost 30 years and neither the world nor my life (or anyone else's) has suffered as a result.

/RANT mode OFF/

The same for me except replace tie with bra!

Ties are never required anywhere.

LOL, you claim to be in "personal opinion and RANT mode" and then go on to immediately try to state a fact, vs. an opinion. And a "fact" which is actually false! Since you said "never required anywhere" it only takes one place where they are required and there is certainly more than one place where they are definitely required. :rolleyes:

They are ugly, unnecessary, impractical and demeaning (why would anyone willingly wear a leash unless into S&M?).

Well, you most certainly went into personal opinion AND RANT mode there no one can deny that! Leash? S&M? Really? You're embarrassing yourself here! :rolleyes:

Edited by LetsGetWet!

LOL, you claim to be in "personal opinion and RANT mode" and then go on to immediately try to state a fact, vs. an opinion. And a "fact" which is actually false! Since you said "never required anywhere" it only takes one place where they are required and there is certainly more than one place where they are definitely required. :rolleyes:

Well, you most certainly went into personal opinion AND RANT mode there no one can deny that! Leash? S&M? Really? You're embarrassing yourself here! :rolleyes:

An opinion is something you state when you know there is insufficient evidence to prove it but it fits with your personal experience. It is also often coloured by hyperbole.

I have never been in a situation in my life where a tie was required - that is fact. No club, restaurant, workplace or event has ever refused me entry because I didn't wear a tie, whatever their stated dress code may be. Now I'll admit I haven't been everywhere or done everything so there may well be places or situations where they are required but until I encounter that for myself I will hang on to my opinion.

An opinion is something you state when you know there is insufficient evidence to prove it but it fits with your personal experience. It is also often coloured by hyperbole.

I have never been in a situation in my life where a tie was required - that is fact. No club, restaurant, workplace or event has ever refused me entry because I didn't wear a tie, whatever their stated dress code may be. Now I'll admit I haven't been everywhere or done everything so there may well be places or situations where they are required but until I encounter that for myself I will hang on to my opinion.

You need to get out more.:D

You apparently don't understand the difference between an opinion and a fact. Stating:

Ties are never required anywhere.

is making a factual statement - albeit an incorrect one. An opinion would be something like "I refuse to go anywhere a tie is required."

As for comparing a tie to a leash and S&M, that's simply irrational, no other way to put it.