Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Think of the lol as a giggle. I could not figure out how to say it differently than I did before, see crash3x quote, except by spelling all the words that I abbreviated.

I realized I was not clear or he read through quickly or wanted to discuss the point more completely. That is why.

Think of the lol as a giggle. I could not figure out how to say it differently than I did before, see crash3x quote, except by spelling all the words that I abbreviated.

I realized I was not clear or he read through quickly or wanted to discuss the point more completely. That is why.

Came off like you were putting down passengers who prefer not to pay extra for meals. "Only $7" can quickly add up to $30+ for a family of four (including the 16% service charge).

Sent from my LG-D851 using Forums mobile app

Came off like you were putting down passengers who prefer not to pay extra for meals. "Only $7" can quickly add up to $30+ for a family of four (including the 16% service charge).

Honestly... just let it go. An explanation was given and there is no reason to question further the actions or intent of any of the comments of the various posters involved.

Your "narrow" interpretation of the comment is a personal opinion, which has contributed to taking this thread further off-topic.

Edited by vulcan1971

You're 100% correct, but Let's be quite clear about these other options.

The Ocean View Cafe is the buffet. Serve yourself with food that we find inferior to what is available in the MDR.

All the speciality restaurants are extra cost and IMHO not serving better food than the MDR. Just different food.

I'm not sure I agree that Murano serves "different,not better" food. Personally, I find the Dover Sole,Flambeed Lobster tail(true, it's not our New England variety)to be superior to what's served in Moonlight Sonata. The cost is obviously subjective to the diner. Being "foodie" types, we're willing to pay the difference. Personally, I feel they should offer Al a Carte' extra price meals in the MDR. They then use the extra space for other options. Touring the galley, it could easily be done to accomodate Al a Carte' meals.

Assuming you have a table in your cabin that can comfortably be used for dining. Our standard verandah cabin, OV or inside cabins do not provide that, essentially eliminating the room service option.

We've used the table berfore. Not the best, but it does work.

Don't you have to pay to got to the bistro? I know there is the buffet option...but we are buffet "snobs" If the service are requires a sneeze guard over the food we would rather not..we have cruised multiple times and have seen some rude behaviour and not just from children at. Buffets.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, I've had to chastise some real boobs when it comes to touching food with your hands. Totally gross. Here's my best example of this type behavior(at a place of business, not on a ship)where we set up an elaborate buffet..This guy would lift the chafer lids(line wasn't even open yet!)stick in a finger, then into his mouth & move to the next chafer & so on! I politely(only 'cause I was at work!)told him not to do this, as it could contaminate the whole buffet. His response was "I'm the CFO & I'll do as I please!" That worked until I got the HR mgr. & the CEO involved. They both totally embarrassed this clown in front of all the guests. Even the HR mgr. claimed "He's such a pig!" Education certainly doesn't guarantee class! Luckily, I've yet to see quite that level of outrageous behavior on a ship, but I'm sure someone here while chime in on this.

Yes, I've had to chastise some real boobs when it comes to touching food with your hands. Totally gross. Here's my best example of this type behavior(at a place of business, not on a ship)where we set up an elaborate buffet..This guy would lift the chafer lids(line wasn't even open yet!)stick in a finger, then into his mouth & move to the next chafer & so on! I politely(only 'cause I was at work!)told him not to do this, as it could contaminate the whole buffet. His response was "I'm the CFO & I'll do as I please!" That worked until I got the HR mgr. & the CEO involved. They both totally embarrassed this clown in front of all the guests. Even the HR mgr. claimed "He's such a pig!" Education certainly doesn't guarantee class! Luckily, I've yet to see quite that level of outrageous behavior on a ship, but I'm sure someone here while chime in on this.

The place of business should have thrown out all the food he touched and replaced it with new, according to health department rules. I've got no problem calling out a person with this behavior and insisting that the food be replaced with non contaminated food. I've done it on Celebrity and explained to the individual that they just caused the cruise line money because of their gross behavior.

The place of business should have thrown out all the food he touched and replaced it with new, according to health department rules. I've got no problem calling out a person with this behavior and insisting that the food be replaced with non contaminated food. I've done it on Celebrity and explained to the individual that they just caused the cruise line money because of their gross behavior.

I would love to have done that, except the customer(the company we served)seemed ok with it. Still totally gross.

I'm not sure I agree that Murano serves "different,not better" food. Personally, I find the Dover Sole,Flambeed Lobster tail(true, it's not our New England variety)to be superior to what's served in Moonlight Sonata. The cost is obviously subjective to the diner. Being "foodie" types, we're willing to pay the difference. Personally, I feel they should offer Al a Carte' extra price meals in the MDR. They then use the extra space for other options. Touring the galley, it could easily be done to accomodate Al a Carte' meals.

I think I understand your idea of all carte pay food, I suspect there would be an uproar. I noticed bistro new menu had a couple of loved items being added that are included in their charge.

I ordered the Dover sole once and it was so salty I didn't get it again. Is that normal for the preparation? I did not mention it at the time as we were with a large group and there was plenty to eat.

I'm "germ phobic" ,:) and hate it when I see people cough in their hand instead of in the crook of their arm. Especially if I'm behind them in the queue for breakfast/lunch buffet line. Then these people transfer their bacteria on their hand to the buffet serving utensils, and then the next people in line pick up the offenders bacteria. :mad:

Or, how about those people who pick up food that's on their plate with their hands, eat the food, whilst continuing down, and still taking food in the buffet line, and then using the serving utensils again? Gross :eek:

Is it proper for one to correct the offenders? Or do you just let it go.

I'm not too concerned yet about contracting Ebola on a cruise, but more concerned about contracting the more common cold or even worse, Noro Virus.

I suppose that is one reason why I much prefer to eat in the dining room where I am served.

Thank you, and apologies for asking such a simple question.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I’m hoping that you can help

We are first time cruisers from the UK (and first time poster!), 2 adults and two children (boy 14 and girl 11).

We are going on the Celebrity Reflection Western Caribbean cruise on 28 March 2015.

Our main concern for the cruise is dress code and not standing out particularly in our choice of evening wear. Our main constraint is the amount of baggage we are bringing. We are travelling relatively light because for part of our holiday we are travelling in a convertible limiting the amount of luggage we can bring.

Formal nights

We don’t have formal wear such as tuxedo/dressy cocktail dress and we weren’t intending to buy or rent for the cruise.

I do wear tailored suits for work and I believe this would be acceptable for the formal night however we are not intending to bring one unless there is sufficient space. Notwithstanding it is unlikely that we will get my son in a suit/tuxedo. Consequently, if I don’t bring a suit then our intention is to eat at another venue than the main dining room on the two formal nights for our cruise.

My question is, do all males, including children, adhere to the formal dress code of tuxedo/suit/blazer on Celebrity Reflection formal nights?

If we decide that we do not dine in MDR on formal nights then what are the recommended alternatives? I have noted in other posts the list of alternatives but interested in what are the favourites from those that have cruised on the Celebrity Reflection and relevant sister ships. I expect we would not choose an additional cost restaurant - from reading other posts on dining options and looking at the menus, they don't appeal particularly to us any more so than those no additional cost dining options.

I saw on a couple of posts discussions around in-cabin dining. I note already the comments on space restrictions. Can anyone advise please on the practicalities of in-cabin dining on formal nights e.g. are all courses delivered together, is the food hot etc.? We are in a standard cabin with balcony but there are 4 of us so I reckon it will be tight for space.

Smart causal evenings

In regard to smart casual. I understand that smart designer type jeans are acceptable (without holes, rips etc.)? My son and I are hoping to wear on one or two evenings. Do men wear smart jeans in the evenings and if so are they common?

I note sport shirts are allowed but I believe all shirts in the main dining room need to have sleeves. Does this automatically mean long sleeved or is it referring to no sleeveless shirts/tank tops? I expect the latter is the case. I was intending to wear smart short sleeve dress shirts for some smart casual nights. Are these allowed or are only long sleeved attire allowed? If allowed, are these common or would I stand out in a short sleeved dress shirt?

I have noted the postings, especially those that draw attention to the Celebrity dress code, my underlying query is really what happens in practice so any observations regarding what dress style is actually adopted by cruisers, including children, would be appreciated.

You probably get a feel for our dress preferences however primarily we want to fit in and certainly do not want to antagonise other diners with our choice of evening wear.

Thanks in anticipation

I was on reflection in November with my best friend. We wore sundresses every night. The 2 formal nights we wore nicer dresses but not what I consider formal. I can tell you about the other guests. On the regular nights men wore khaki pants with polo style shirts or button down shirt sleeve. Women. Wore pants or what we call sunday dress for church. On formal night I saw only one tux. Dresses were a little nicer but not what I consider formal. A few guys wore the every night attire. No one said anything. It's very relaxed. I appreciated the fact that is was. BtW we ate at 6:15 done whenever plan. Loved it. We were able to call ahead midday and request the table we wanted. Hope this is helpfulImageUploadedByForums1421588231.046140.jpg.b26751d66ebad861ca1963db860c3cf2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm sitting waiting to disembark from the Silhouette as I type this. I concur with the previous post. Our experience was about the same. Several men had a tux but most were dressed similar to me, dark dress pants and jacket with a tie. A few bucked the system by foregoing the jacket but pretty much all the men had ties that I saw. The Sunday dress description used was accurate here for the women also.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Edited by cruisecat1965

Thanks for the responses.

A few guys wore the every night attire. No one said anything. It's very relaxed. I appreciated the fact that is was.

Nice to hear that it is fairly relaxed. This suits us particularly.

BtW we ate at 6:15 done whenever plan. Loved it. We were able to call ahead midday and request the table we wanted.

I think we are on this sitting as well - I note that you called ahead to book the table - do you normally get a different table each night if you don't do this?

A few bucked the system by foregoing the jacket but pretty much all the men had ties that I saw.

Good heads up on ties - I assumed that these would be common on formal nights however are neckties the norm or are bow ties more common (just in case I do take my suit)?

Regards

Mark

For the ladies, I find if you take along a nice/dressy shawl and a little bling in your jewelry choice you will be good to go on formal nights. For the boys, just a shirt and tie is the norm. Men can get away with a sport jacket and tie with khakis, but if you really want to scale back, you can also get away with dress shirt and tie. Although I love formal nights and dressing up, we have a transatlantic planned in 2016 and will first spend time in Europe so will be paring down our dressy wardrobe.

For the ladies, I find if you take along a nice/dressy shawl and a little bling in your jewelry choice you will be good to go on formal nights. For the boys, just a shirt and tie is the norm. Men can get away with a sport jacket and tie with khakis, but if you really want to scale back, you can also get away with dress shirt and tie. Although I love formal nights and dressing up, we have a transatlantic planned in 2016 and will first spend time in Europe so will be paring down our dressy wardrobe.

With a jacket, of course, required by Celebrity on formal nights.

[quote name='LetsGetWet!']With a jacket, of course, required by Celebrity on formal nights.[/QUOTE]

I agree that a sports jacket is the suggested attire for men. However, the poster was asking what actually happens, and I have seen men in just a dress shirt and tie in the MDR on formal nights. If it's really a space packing issue you can try the MDR with a shirt and tie. Just know you will be in the minority. If you do get turned away (unlikely) just go to the Oceanview Cafe.

[quote name='Champagne Cruiser']I agree that a sports jacket is the suggested attire for men. However, the poster was asking what actually happens, and I have seen men in just a dress shirt and tie in the MDR on formal nights. If it's really a space packing issue you can try the MDR with a shirt and tie. Just know you will be in the minority. If you do get turned away (unlikely) just go to the Oceanview Cafe.[/QUOTE]
A jacket for formal night is not "suggested", it's listed as required. And actually, if you read all the reports here, being turned away on formal night without a jacket is quite likely. Edited by LetsGetWet!

[QUOTE](Originally by LetsGetWet!)
With a jacket, of course, required by Celebrity on formal nights.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE](Originally by Champagne Cruiser)
I agree that a sports jacket is the suggested attire for men. However, the poster was asking what actually happens, and I have seen men in just a dress shirt and tie in the MDR on formal nights. If it's really a space packing issue you can try the MDR with a shirt and tie. Just know you will be in the minority. If you do get turned away (unlikely) just go to the Oceanview Cafe.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jean, appreciate the clarification and sounds like Oceanview cafe is best option if problem.
We have looked at various videos showing the Opus dining room - it looks quite mixed dress attire however these could be smart casual nights.
Regards
Mark

[quote name='LetsGetWet!']A jacket for formal night is not "suggested", it's listed as required. And actually, if you read all the reports here, being turned away on formal night without a jacket is quite likely.[/QUOTE]

Totally disagree. Especially in the Caribbean. As I've mentioned before, our Dec 2014 cruise announced that men were not required to wear ties on the 3rd formal night, and MANY did not wear jackets on the first two formal nights (but those without jackets did wear avtie.)

I cannot imagine you will be turned away, especially with kids. The staff love seeing kids, and are anxious to please them!