Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Said they would "cause a scene and have the maitre d throw them out" said they've done it before and will do it again.

Safe to assume that was on a formal night? Either way, that type of behavior is deplorable. I guess some people's lives are so boring they must meddle in others'.

Edited by Scott2.0

He implied it wasn't formal night and has posted several times that jeans are not acceptable in the MDR ever

People seem to think that if they repeat incorrect information enough times it will eventually become true. I'll likely wear jeans to the MDR every night, except formal night when we'll dine in a specialty restaurant.

As to jeans, I think they are supposed to be more of a designer type. Standard blue jeans don't cut it. I saw plenty of pax get turned away from the MDR with jeans & polo shirts, even on "Smart Casual" nights. As I've said, this has been on the Eclipse, which seems to be a more formal ship than the rest of the fleet. I can't comment on the other Celebrity ships,as I've not been on them.

Sorry but I have worn Kirkland Jeans from Costco on first and last night on my last two cruises including one in AQ. I'm sorry you can't deal with reality but Jeans have been allowed for at least five years and as I said before they used to be on the prohibited list and were specifically removed. Again, this is not an issue anymore except for the occasional poster like yourself who doesn't know the rules. Eclipse doesn't have different rules.

Sorry but I have worn Kirkland Jeans from Costco on first and last night on my last two cruises including one in AQ. I'm sorry you can't deal with reality but Jeans have been allowed for at least five years and as I said before they used to be on the prohibited list and were specifically removed. Again, this is not an issue anymore except for the occasional poster like yourself who doesn't know the rules. Eclipse doesn't have different rules.

Agree, I've done Eclipse 2 times in last 2 years, and don't even take dress pants, just blue jeans, except for formal nights when I wear my tux or black canvas kilt with tuxedo jacket.

Even worn the jeans with a dress shirt and jacket to captain's table dinners.

Will cocktail dresses for the wife, and a snappy suit open collar (or closed if necessary) be enough for me on formal nights?

Business casual (Ie slacks and a polo, blouse and slacks for ladies) on normal nights? In specialty and mdr?

How many people actually wear tuxedos. I don't feel like carrying all that stuff from home for one night, but if the cruise has decent ones a rental may be acceptable.

Cheers.

Edited by elcid79

If that is so, then please explain to me why pax were getting turned away from the MDR!

Will cocktail dresses for the wife, and a snappy suit open collar (or closed if necessary) be enough for me on formal nights?

Business casual (Ie slacks and a polo, blouse and slacks for ladies) on normal nights? In specialty and mdr?

How many people actually wear tuxedos. I don't feel like carrying all that stuff from home for one night, but if the cruise has decent ones a rental may be acceptable.

Cheers.

I'd suggest a tie, but your suit is fine.

Cheers.

Sounds to be in line with the dress code. I too prefer to go tieless much of the time that I wear a suit. You could even lose the slacks in favor of nice jeans on smart casual nights.

Cheers.

That'll be fine.

I never take a Tux, though I actually own a couple and wear them fairly regularly. [though on Cunard I will probably take one.]

I don't think Celebrity passengers in general are pretentious.

Just the vocal minority on the internet.

I, for one, dress appropriately (suit and tie) on formal nights regardless of the line on which I am sailing.

Pretty much how we dress as well. I'm all for casual in the day, but treat the night like going out to a nice restaurant & a show.

Probably because of some ignorant employee who needed to be taken aside and have Celebrity's policy pointed out to him.

That ignorant employee as you say was the Maitre D. The jeans I've seen(that got pax refused admission) are not nicely pressed & stylish, they looked like "work" pants.

People looking for advice on what to wear would do well to read what the Celebrity website says and try to do their best to comply. It's obvious that there seems to be an agenda for both ends of the spectrum here and it really doesn't serve the new cruiser very well.

Might be the best advice and most sensible post on any dress thread I've ever seen.

The great majority of people sailing on Celebrity do their best to comply and it's not really an issue on board.

I think this applies to all lines.

That ignorant employee as you say was the Maitre D. The jeans I've seen(that got pax refused admission) are not nicely pressed & stylish, they looked like "work" pants.

If they didn't have holes, rips or tears he was out of line and making up his own policy. Celebrity allows jeans period and has for some time now.

If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt you, then the maitre d' on the Eclipse is making up his own rules which conflict with Celebrity's published rules and are not in force on other ships in the fleet.

Either that or the offending passengers were being refused entry for more than just the non-existant code violation of "wearing jeans". Perhaps the jeans had rips or tears which you didn't see.

As someone who wears jeans all the time I will agree there is a difference between "work jeans" and the sort of jeans I would wear to dinner. However Celebrity's dress code makes no such distinction with the exception of the "rips and tears" rule.

A number of posts have been removed because they did not conform with our guidelines.

Before posting anything on this thread, please be sure it conforms with all of our guidelines, in particular (but not limited to) the following.

Continued violation may jeopardize your future posting privileges.

The harassment of our members is not allowed.

Cruise Critic is committed to providing an online environment that is free from these types of harassing postings. Please, don't attack another poster or group of posters. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything else to another member that is unwanted. This means: don't say bad things about them... If you disagree with someone, respond to the subject, not the person. Postings of this nature will be removed from the boards.

Also, if you see a post in this or any other thread that you feel is not conforming with the guidelines, please report the post by clicking on the little red triangle report.gif in the upper right corner of every post.

Thanks for your cooperation.

ps, This thread has been closed for further review. It will be reopened in about 12 hours.

Edited by Host Walt

Pretty much how we dress as well. I'm all for casual in the day, but treat the night like going out to a nice restaurant & a show.

Hey, I agree with you! Everyone should treat night on a ship just like going out to a nice restaurant & a show on land. For me that means long pants (or jeans) and a collared shirt.

I'm not a fan of dressing up, but my husband likes to dress for formal night. We enjoy seeing the MDR with everyone dressed appropriately. It looks so festive! We also "dress" for dinner every night of the cruise, just not "up".

Reading this thread gave me a theory about the problem of people not dressing for dinner. Formal night dates back to the days when the food in the MDR was fine dining. Now it's more like a good chain restaurant. Is it possible that the lowering of the cuisine standards has led to a decline in the dress standards? Or is it just standards in general?

If they didn't have holes, rips or tears he was out of line and making up his own policy. Celebrity allows jeans period and has for some time now.

As I've said NUMEROUS times, this was on the Eclipse in the 14 day Caribbean trips. On formal night most pax were very well dressed. About 60%+were wearing tuxes. I only wear tuxes on Cunard. I think on the Eclipse, the dress seems more formal on the 14 day trips, probably because the pax were generally much older(actually older than on Cunard)the older crowd sticks to the more formal dresscodes. Since we like dressing up I totally enjoy the older crowd & the touch of class it brings to the trip.

Hey, I agree with you! Everyone should treat night on a ship just like going out to a nice restaurant & a show on land. For me that means long pants (or jeans) and a collared shirt.

The restaurants we go to would kick us out if we wore jeans. I can sneak by with some Levi khakis. Totally comfortable & they look pretty nice. I kind of look like that guy from the "Farmers" insurance commercials,except I wear a fedora when I go out(especially in this cold air)

I'm not a fan of dressing up, but my husband likes to dress for formal night. We enjoy seeing the MDR with everyone dressed appropriately. It looks so festive! We also "dress" for dinner every night of the cruise, just not "up".

Reading this thread gave me a theory about the problem of people not dressing for dinner. Formal night dates back to the days when the food in the MDR was fine dining. Now it's more like a good chain restaurant. Is it possible that the lowering of the cuisine standards has led to a decline in the dress standards? Or is it just standards in general?

I think just standards in general have declined. I remember the food on the QM2 in 2004 in Britannia. We got Caviar on the last formal night(yeah, actually the Russian stuff!)Now you only get it in the Queens Grill & it's American farm raised(OK, but not great)With prices still the same overall for the last 10 years(you still have to shop the good deals)somehow they have to make up the cost somewhere,hence "dumbed" down food in the MDR & the really good food in the specialty restaurants. I have to admit the food last year in the Eclipse MDR was far better than the Britannia rest. on Cunard(at least as far back as 2008)