Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Oh come on just wear what makes you comfortable what difference is it going to make to anyone else is it really going to ruin your dinner if I wear a pair of jeans to dinner will it make the food taste different maybe ruin the whole cruise? People need to lighten up and not worry so much what the other person is doing.:eek:

I could care less what other people wear but your comment, "wear what makes you comfortable" really does a disservice to those who are new and are asking about the dress code. Suppose they wear what they want and are refused entry to one of the venues. I have seen it happen many times, if that happens, food will definitely taste different because it won't be what they wanted to eat.

Edited by dkjretired

Greetings, experienced Celebrity cruisers. We have booked our first Celebrity cruise for summer 2015. We've been on three other cruise lines and managed to fit in pretty well with formal night dress expectations. Two questions: in your experience, is an Alaskan cruise more or less apt to be "formal" on formal nights? And second: do you notice a fall-off in MDR attendance on formal nights, with many opting to eat at specialty restaurants or elsewhere? Or do most people just show up in the MDR anyway? Thanks.

We just did Alaska in August, I saw very few tuxes on the ship and it is my opinion that people tend to dress a little less formal on an Alaska cruise. I can't comment on how many people were in the MDR because we ate in Blu everynight but many come on this board and ask about smart casual dress in the Specialties because they want to avoid formal dress requirements.

Oh come on just wear what makes you comfortable what difference is it going to make to anyone else is it really going to ruin your dinner if I wear a pair of jeans to dinner will it make the food taste different maybe ruin the whole cruise? People need to lighten up and not worry so much what the other person is doing.:eek:
I could care less what other people wear but your comment, "wear what makes you comfortable" really does a disservice to those who are new and are asking about the dress code. Suppose they wear what they want and are refused entry to one of the venues. I have seen it happen many times, if that happens, food will definitely taste different because it won't be what they wanted to eat.

Well said, dkjretired...

n that case I'm going in just me budgie smugglers.:eek::p:rolleyes:

You stated it as though it were a fact? What you want and what Celebrity require are two different things, get over it.

"get a life"? Who's assessing whose dress standards without any mandate to do so - you're on holiday?

"trailor trash" - there's that phrase again, nice, is this appropriate way to talk about fellow guess?

Obviously, you don't seem to pay any attention to any of my posts. There are cruiselines where the dresscodes are obviously casual..Carnival/NCL & RCCL(some ships) then there are those that are more formal..Cunard/Crystal/Seaborn/Celebrity & HAL(again, some ships)I pay good money to travel with those who choose to dress how we feel is proper attire. This is the obvious reason we'd not travel on Carnival/NCL. We found the Eclipse to be a nice fit. It's more formal than the rest of Celebrity's ships. Mostly due to longer trips & an older clientel. We choose this as our preference & those that don't care to dress that way do a disservice to those of us who do.As to "trailertrash", sorry if that's too harsh for your sensitive eys, but some of the pax coming off Carnival/NCL ships in some of the ports we've been to were not wearing what most would consider even a modicum of proper attire. I'm NOT talking about wearing tuxes/suits here. I'm talking about dressing so as not to be insulting to the local population. You're representing your country, not some back water hick town. If you've been to any of the Caribbean islands you'll find most of the locals pretty decently dressed.

Then choose a cruiseline where they are not in fashion & leave us the cruiselines where they still are.

Pretty easy isn't it, no line make a secret of their dress code [as far as I know anyway] so choose what suits you, f you like formal nights cruise with a line that has them, if you dslike them cruise with one that doesn't or avoid the MDR on formal nights, not really very hard.

I personally never take my Tux on a cruise, as the rotten thing is too hard to press, but I always have a Black suit and ties [sometimes a few suits]

Pretty easy isn't it, no line make a secret of their dress code [as far as I know anyway] so choose what suits you, f you like formal nights cruise with a line that has them, if you dslike them cruise with one that doesn't or avoid the MDR on formal nights, not really very hard.

I personally never take my Tux on a cruise, as the rotten thing is too hard to press, but I always have a Black suit and ties [sometimes a few suits]

We always did on Cunard, but on the Eclipse we bring a couple nice suits for formal nights,as tuxes are a pain as you said.That and the fact the trips are 14 days, not like the 10 or so on Cunard. Even on casual we still wear suit coats. We just like a little style,that's all.

We always did on Cunard, but on the Eclipse we bring a couple nice suits for formal nights,as tuxes are a pain as you said.That and the fact the trips are 14 days, not like the 10 or so on Cunard. Even on casual we still wear suit coats. We just like a little style,that's all.

When I go Cunard I suspect I'll take a Tux.

What puzzles me is on our latest cruise I was talking with a bloke on formal night who was saying that he wouldn't wear a suit and tie, because it is too uncomfortable, but had on a polo neck type top, that was tighter and higher on his neck than my shirt and tie. And it's the sort of thing you see and hear all the time.

When I go Cunard I suspect I'll take a Tux.

What puzzles me is on our latest cruise I was talking with a bloke on formal night who was saying that he wouldn't wear a suit and tie, because it is too uncomfortable, but had on a polo neck type top, that was tighter and higher on his neck than my shirt and tie. And it's the sort of thing you see and hear all the time.

Those who whine about a dress shirt & tie being so uncomfortable simply need to learn to buy a shirt that is their current size, not the size they used to be or the size they wish they were...

Those who whine about a dress shirt & tie being so uncomfortable simply need to learn to buy a shirt that is their current size, not the size they used to be or the size they wish they were...

I've been guilty of that myself, or more to the point refusing to buy a new one when I've put weight on.

Then choose a cruiseline where they are not in fashion & leave us the cruiselines where they still are.

Probably a dumb comment on my part. I'm not expecting tuxes to disappear any time soon and I'm happy for people to wear them if that's what they like.

However given that they were a very small minority on all the Celebrity cruises I have been on then I would say they are no more fashionable there than any other cruise line.

I'm personally pretty neutral on this issue , but it doesn't matter a damn what "us" wants. The ONLY thing that matters is what future passengers want when they book a cruise.

Today's loyalists have far less monetary value (bring in less recenue) than new passengers.

So since the entire cruise industry is going towards casual, you csn kiss your tuxedos and long gowns goodbye.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Forums mobile app

Probably a dumb comment on my part. I'm not expecting tuxes to disappear any time soon and I'm happy for people to wear them if that's what they like.

However given that they were a very small minority on all the Celebrity cruises I have been on then I would say they are no more fashionable there than any other cruise line.

You'd be surprised how many pax wore them on the Eclipse. I think the longer trips(with the older cliental)is one of the reasons.

I'm personally pretty neutral on this issue , but it doesn't matter a damn what "us" wants. The ONLY thing that matters is what future passengers want when they book a cruise.

Today's loyalists have far less monetary value (bring in less recenue) than new passengers.

So since the entire cruise industry is going towards casual, you csn kiss your tuxedos and long gowns goodbye.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Forums mobile app

That's what makes Cunard rather unique. They stick to a pretty rigid dresscode at night, and believe me, you want to see dresscode arguments, pay their blog a visit! I think that's what makes them popular among those of us, who do like dressing up. They really enforce the dresscodes. On the Eclipse I saw the dresscodes enforced quite well last year. A lot of pax were turned away for rather inappropriate attire at night.(shorts,blue jeans,bad shirts)

I am frightened to do so as opinions are bold here :o but I will add my two cents:

We cruised aboard the Celebrity Reflection last March and loved the formal nights! We were in Aqua class and therefore did not technically need to wear formal wear, but we did anyway. My husband wore his dinner jacket ensemble and I wore cocktail dresses. We enjoyed a wonderful evening at Murano on the first formal night. We ended up being invited to dine at the Captain's Table with the Hotel Director on the second formal night and were so grateful we packed appropriately. (The ship does rent tuxedos should anyone be in a pickle!)

My feeling is this: If you do not wish to participate in formal nights, don't fret! Simply order room service or go to the buffet at no additional cost. For a nominal fee, guests can dine at Bistro on Five and wear more casual attire. AND if you do want to dine in the MDR, you don't need a tux! One of the gentleman at the Captain's Table wore a jacket and white dress shirt. Oh and of course, pants! LOL!

Celebrity definitely isn't trying to force passengers to spend more at the specialty restaurants in order to dress comfortably. I feel they have offered the best of both worlds. For those of us who do appreciate the opportunity to dress up, these formal nights are fun. We are in our 30s but can whoop it up with anyone. We had gussied up 20-year-olds giving us fist bumps for our formal attire look and later got impromptu dance lessons from a couple in their 70s who admired our dress code efforts.

And as others have said, if it is a huge concern, there are other cruise lines that offer more laid back dress codes without formal nights. One of the reasons we chose Celebrity is because we do like to dress up for a night or two while on vacation. We enjoyed the ritual of grabbing a bevy and getting ready for dinner together.

That's just us. To each his or her own! We are looking forward to our Summit cruise this March! My husband will be packing his tux pants and DJ and I'll be packing a new gown and cocktail dress! And we'll enjoy drinks after dinner with anyone at the martini bar be they in shorts, or "Tuxedo T-Shirt"! :D

I am frightened to do so as opinions are bold here :o but I will add my two cents:

We cruised aboard the Celebrity Reflection last March and loved the formal nights! We were in Aqua class and therefore did not technically need to wear formal wear, but we did anyway. My husband wore his dinner jacket ensemble and I wore cocktail dresses. We enjoyed a wonderful evening at Murano on the first formal night. We ended up being invited to dine at the Captain's Table with the Hotel Director on the second formal night and were so grateful we packed appropriately. (The ship does rent tuxedos should anyone be in a pickle!)

My feeling is this: If you do not wish to participate in formal nights, don't fret! Simply order room service or go to the buffet at no additional cost. For a nominal fee, guests can dine at Bistro on Five and wear more casual attire. AND if you do want to dine in the MDR, you don't need a tux! One of the gentleman at the Captain's Table wore a jacket and white dress shirt. Oh and of course, pants! LOL!

Celebrity definitely isn't trying to force passengers to spend more at the specialty restaurants in order to dress comfortably. I feel they have offered the best of both worlds. For those of us who do appreciate the opportunity to dress up, these formal nights are fun. We are in our 30s but can whoop it up with anyone. We had gussied up 20-year-olds giving us fist bumps for our formal attire look and later got impromptu dance lessons from a couple in their 70s who admired our dress code efforts.

And as others have said, if it is a huge concern, there are other cruise lines that offer more laid back dress codes without formal nights. One of the reasons we chose Celebrity is because we do like to dress up for a night or two while on vacation. We enjoyed the ritual of grabbing a bevy and getting ready for dinner together.

That's just us. To each his or her own! We are looking forward to our Summit cruise this March! My husband will be packing his tux pants and DJ and I'll be packing a new gown and cocktail dress! And we'll enjoy drinks after dinner with anyone at the martini bar be they in shorts, or "Tuxedo T-Shirt"! :D

That was VERY well said :)

We'll be on the Summit in May, and are really looking forward to it!

All good points, except that some people resent being told to eat at the buffet or in their rooms because they are (for many reasons) considered to be inferior experiences to eating in the MDR. This is particularly a problem when you are travelling with a group of friends or family, some of whom may have outfits which pass muster on formal nights and others not.

Bistro on Five is certainly a cheap option that many people forget about.

Aqua class is my preferred option. I don't mind paying the extra because I much prefer Blu to the MDR on any night

You'd be surprised how many pax wore them on the Eclipse. I think the longer trips(with the older cliental)is one of the reasons.

Itinerary certainly has a big effect, in some cases more than the choice of cruise line. The largest number of tuxes I ever saw was on a Carnival ship in Europe. On the other hand some of the longer cruises I have been on in Asia and Australia have been more casual that shorter cruises I have been on.

All good points, except that some people resent being told to eat at the buffet or in their rooms because they are (for many reasons) considered to be inferior experiences to eating in the MDR. This is particularly a problem when you are travelling with a group of friends or family, some of whom may have outfits which pass muster on formal nights and others not.

Bistro on Five is certainly a cheap option that many people forget about.

Aqua class is my preferred option. I don't mind paying the extra because I much prefer Blu to the MDR on any night

What is it that you prefer?

And they say the younger pax have no sense of style. Not these 2!

Itinerary certainly has a big effect, in some cases more than the choice of cruise line. The largest number of tuxes I ever saw was on a Carnival ship in Europe. On the other hand some of the longer cruises I have been on in Asia and Australia have been more casual that shorter cruises I have been on.

Trust me! You'd never see that on Carnival in the US.

Is there any particular reason that you didn't include the other specialty restaurants in your list of formal attire alternatives? There are more options than just the buffet, room service and Bistro on 5 for those that do not wish to dress in formal wear, right?

Edited by Scott2.0