Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Is there any particular reason that you didn't include the other specialty restaurants in your list of formal attire alternatives? There are more options that just the buffet, room service and Bistro on 5 for those that do not wish to dress in formal wear, right?

My guess is the poster is looking to accommodate those who don't feel it's appropriate to make them pay to eat elsewhere, thus the "nominal fee" for bistro notation, whereas the other specialties come with "hefty" fees.

My guess is the poster is looking to accommodate those who don't feel it's appropriate to make them pay to eat elsewhere, thus the "nominal fee" for bistro notation, whereas the other specialties come with "hefty" fees.

That makes sense. I almost got the wrong impression. We plan to eat in Qsine on one of the formal nights.

That is exactly what I meant! :) Qsine and the other specialty restaurants do not require formal attire on formal nights. There are a lot of options for every taste and style on Celebrity!

That is exactly what I meant! :) Qsine and the other specialty restaurants do not require formal attire on formal nights. There are a lot of options for every taste and style on Celebrity!

Yes,but you still have to wear decent slacks & decent shirt.

Jeans and a polo shirt are adequate.

As to jeans, I think they are supposed to be more of a designer type. Standard blue jeans don't cut it. I saw plenty of pax get turned away from the MDR with jeans & polo shirts, even on "Smart Casual" nights. As I've said, this has been on the Eclipse, which seems to be a more formal ship than the rest of the fleet. I can't comment on the other Celebrity ships,as I've not been on them.

Jeans are ok in the MDR every night with some discrepancy about "formal" night. Ties are NEVER required.

Ties have been required on formal night on the Eclipse. That ship is more formal than the others.Seeing your pic, you are under a Carnival smoke stack. Formality is unknown on that line, which is why we'd never cruise it.

Ties have been required on formal night on the Eclipse. That ship is more formal than the others.Seeing your pic, you are under a Carnival smoke stack. Formality is unknown on that line, which is why we'd never cruise it.

As is pretentiousness, which is available at least in Celebrity's online presence ;)

Here's the thing...we all pay for all inclusive...with the exception of specialty restaurants, so why should I not be allowed to partake of something that I paid for? Perhaps the "formal nights" should be only in the specialty restaurants? That way those who want to only be surrounded by formally dressed people can be?

What you paid for is the cruise experience clearly outlined by Celebrity in multiple places, including the contract. Yes, that includes all-inclusive sit down dinners in the MDR, GIVEN that you're willing to adhere to Celebrity's clearly outlined dress code for the MDR. What you DIDN'T pay for is the right to show up at the MDR for dinner in clothes not meeting the minimum dress requirements and expect to be seated/served.

As is pretentiousness, which is available at least in Celebrity's online presence ;)

I guess some call Celebrity "pretentious" and some call Carnival "trailer trash." Those are opinions and everyone has one. What's hard to understand is why someone who thinks Celebrity is pretentious would choose that line but then complain about having to dress "pretentiously" to fit in. Just like it's hard to understand why someone who thinks Carnival is trailer trash would book that line and then complain about how informal the dress code is at dinner.

If you think Celebrity is pretentious, maybe you should consider booking Carnival and if you think Carnival is "trailer trash" maybe you should consider booking Celebrity. In either case I'd suggest what you shouldn't do is book either and then complain about or try to ignore the line's dress code.

I guess some call Celebrity "pretentious" and some call Carnival "trailer trash." Those are opinions and everyone has one. What's hard to understand is why someone who thinks Celebrity is pretentious would choose that line but then complain about having to dress "pretentiously" to fit in. Just like it's hard to understand why someone who thinks Carnival is trailer trash would book that line and then complain about how informal the dress code is at dinner.

If you think Celebrity is pretentious, maybe you should consider booking Carnival and if you think Carnival is "trailer trash" maybe you should consider booking Celebrity. In either case I'd suggest what you shouldn't do is book either and then complain about or try to ignore the line's dress code.

I don't think Celebrity passengers in general are pretentious.

Just the vocal minority on the internet.

I, for one, dress appropriately (suit and tie) on formal nights regardless of the line on which I am sailing.

I don't think Celebrity passengers in general are pretentious.

Just the vocal minority on the internet.

I, for one, dress appropriately (suit and tie) on formal nights regardless of the line on which I am sailing.

I do the same - and wouldn't claim Celebrity to be pretentious or Carnival to be trailer trash. They are different though, and we tend to gravitate more to Celebrity rather than Carnival.

When you mentioned Celebrity's "online presence" to be pretentious, I figured you were referring to their website and official presence. I don't consider CC posters to represent them, whether it's the pretentious ones or the "it's my vacation and I'll wear what I damn well please, regardless of the dress code" ones.

I do the same - and wouldn't claim Celebrity to be pretentious or Carnival to be trailer trash. They are different though, and we tend to gravitate more to Celebrity rather than Carnival.

When you mentioned Celebrity's "online presence" to be pretentious, I figured you were referring to their website and official presence. I don't consider CC posters to represent them, whether it's the pretentious ones or the "it's my vacation and I'll wear what I damn well please, regardless of the dress code" ones.

Reasonable misunderstanding. I realize that CC posters overall definitely do not represent the full customer base, but they are what people see when they research.

We took our first Celebrity cruise in 12/14 as you can see below, and we found that, as with Carnival, we met some of the most amazing people during our trip. Only once did we encounter someone that I would consider to be rude (to us personally, that is).

Originally Posted by ImaginationCruiseBride

Here's the thing...we all pay for all inclusive...with the exception of specialty restaurants, so why should I not be allowed to partake of something that I paid for? Perhaps the "formal nights" should be only in the specialty restaurants? That way those who want to only be surrounded by formally dressed people can be?

You are right you paid for all-inclusive. They are providing meals in your fare. On formal nights should you choose not to dress accordingly, that food can be had at Ocean View Cafe, you can order the MDR menu to your cabin as room service, or you can pay a premium of $7 to $50 to dine in any of the array of specialty venues.(As a side note if you actually READ the contract involved, you actually stipulated that X has no duty to feed or provide water to you, only to move you from the agreed upon starting port and disembarkation port, but that's a different matter) At the same time you agreed to pay for this feature, you also agreed to abide by and follow the policies of Celebrity while on board, one of which is to wear recommended attire on formal nights, the number of which are clearly specified on their website and in your cruise contract and cruise documents.

You can't expect to hold X accountable to one clause of what you agreed to and not hold yourself accountable to another clause within the same agreement.

Some could make a similar argument, "my kids and I paid for the solarium pool", but they won't let my kids in there. But this is policy agreed on.

"I paid for a lounger by the pool so no one can take my stuff off it even if i don't use it"

"My fare included entry to the comedy show, but i got there late and it was full"

You are right you paid for all-inclusive. They are providing meals in your fare. On formal nights should you choose not to dress accordingly, that food can be had at Ocean View Cafe, you can order the MDR menu to your cabin as room service, or you can pay a premium of $7 to $50 to dine in any of the array of specialty venues.(As a side note if you actually READ the contract involved, you actually stipulated that X has no duty to feed or provide water to you, only to move you from the agreed upon starting port and disembarkation port, but that's a different matter) At the same time you agreed to pay for this feature, you also agreed to abide by and follow the policies of Celebrity while on board, one of which is to wear recommended attire on formal nights, the number of which are clearly specified on their website and in your cruise contract and cruise documents.

You can't expect to hold X accountable to one clause of what you agreed to and not hold yourself accountable to another clause within the same agreement.

Some could make a similar argument, "my kids and I paid for the solarium pool", but they won't let my kids in there. But this is policy agreed on.

"I paid for a lounger by the pool so no one can take my stuff off it even if i don't use it"

"My fare included entry to the comedy show, but i got there late and it was full"

Just to clarify, you cannot get MDR food in the buffet, I interpreted the comments that way, I'm sure Cle-Guy knows better.

Just to clarify, you cannot get MDR food in the buffet, I interpreted the comments that way, I'm sure Cle-Guy knows better.

Indeed, "that food" means simply "provisions" not necessarily specifically the MDR menu, which if that specific "provisioned" food is desired, can be delivered to cabin on request. :D

LIKE!

Some people trot out the old "It's my vacation, I paid for it so I'll do what I like" all the time. They forget that when the "pad for it" they entered a contract and that contract has obligations and benefits on both sides.

I think many things have been taken out of context because of the posts that have been removed. The point I was trying to make was that jeans that are not torn or have holes are appropriate for the MDR according to Celebrity's written dress code. If I am wearing jeans to the main dining room and have the misfortune of sitting at the same table of certain posters on this thread, those particulars posters have said (posts were removed by the moderator) that if they saw me dressed in jeans (called me trailer trash) that they would make a scene and have the maitre d throw me out of the MDR. This is the impression first time Celebrity cruisers are getting of Celebrity. It is not a good impression, in fact one poster several pages back said he actually cancelled a Celebrity cruise last year because he was intimidated by the fashion bullies.

I think many things have been taken out of context because of the posts that have been removed. The point I was trying to make was that jeans that are not torn or have holes are appropriate for the MDR according to Celebrity's written dress code. If I am wearing jeans to the main dining room and have the misfortune of sitting at the same table of certain posters on this thread, those particulars posters have said (posts were removed by the moderator) that if they saw me dressed in jeans (called me trailer trash) that they would make a scene and have the maitre d throw me out of the MDR. This is the impression first time Celebrity cruisers are getting of Celebrity. It is not a good impression, in fact one poster several pages back said he actually cancelled a Celebrity cruise last year because he was intimidated by the fashion bullies.

And celebrity is the olnly line with Dress Code threads, sure...????

Celebrity is the only line that has bullies taking over the dress code threads. Since we retired we have several cruises planned and Celebrity is the only dress code thread with meanness. As I've said the moderators have done a good job of deleting the meanness, but sadly the meanness has already done the damage.