Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Geez Cruise kitty I hope you are an able bodied person with no physical defects because your attitude to a parapalegic in a wheelchair sux. Cut the guy some slack. If he/she is capable of making the dining room and meets the dress requirement from chair up then I will tolerate any other side issues. I note that according to Celebrity dress codes wheel chairs are not an optional item of attire so I assume strictly by your standards this person is relegated to the buffet. Yeah right
I believe you missed Cruise Kitty's point, that being there are some situations that are to be outside the norm, such as wheel chair guests (and as others have said, lost luggage or X failing to deliver formal wear).

She then went on to talk about the extremists views, not her's.

That was my take and understanding of the comment, as well.

I recently wore shorts and a polo to dinner in Tuscan Grill. Now granted, it was the first night of the cruise. Also, I was embarking the ship in Naples, Italy versus the port of Civitavecchia. Due to this change in embarkation ports, luggage did not arrive to our stateroom until after I was at dinner for an 8:30 PM reservation.

Further, I personally went and spoke to the Maitre D of Tuscan Grill around 6 PM because I was concerned about my attire. He couldn't have been more understanding if he tried and said to not worry about it at all. Honestly, when you are sitting at a table, most everyone around you will only see what they see from the waist up.

Edited by vulcan1971

I believe you missed Cruise Kitty's point, that being there are some situations that are to be outside the norm, such as wheel chair guests (and as others have said, lost luggage or X failing to deliver formal wear).

She then went on to talk about the extremists views, not her's.

That was my take and understanding of the comment, as well.

I recently wore shorts and a polo to dinner in Tuscan Grill. Now granted, it was the first night of the cruise. Also, I was embarking the ship in Naples, Italy versus the port of Civitavecchia. Due to this change in embarkation ports, luggage did not arrive to our stateroom until after I was at dinner for an 8:30 PM reservation.

Further, I personally went and spoke to the Maitre D of Tuscan Grill around 6 PM because I was concerned about my attire. He couldn't have been more understanding if he tried and said to not worry about it at all. Honestly, when you are sitting at a table, most everyone around you will only see what they see from the waist up.

Thanks guys :) Yes, my point was that the thread used by another poster regarding shorts in the MDR was definitely an exception to the rule... if someone has a physical reason temporary or permanent, people need to be understanding & realize that people matter quite a bit more than codes.

Common sense & decency go a long way. :)

Thanks guys :) Yes, my point was that the thread used by another poster regarding shorts in the MDR was definitely an exception to the rule... if someone has a physical reason temporary or permanent, people need to be understanding & realize that people matter quite a bit more than codes.

Common sense & decency go a long way. :)

For the record, since I was that "another poster" you mention, I completely agree. Although the OP in that thread was handicapped as you said, I did not use any of his posts as examples, for exactly that reason. The post I referenced was from someone else without any disability who said their husband routinely wore shorts to the MDR for dinner on both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

What is appropriate dinner wear for men that is relaxed in MD on Constellation. And also on Formal night for me. Who don't choose to s"suit" it up?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1. Jeans and shirt with a collar

2. Trousers, jacket optional tie

These are the minimum acceptable standards although you wont find them written down

1. Jeans and shirt with a collar

2. Trousers, jacket optional tie

These are the minimum acceptable standards although you wont find them written down

So at the least my DH needs to bring a jacket to eat in MDR on formal night. We have been on three other cruise lines and he has never brought one before. He truly believes being on vaca should be relaxing not putting on the ritz so to speak...I myself only wear capris and tanks or sleeveless tops nothing to write home about.

So at the least my DH needs to bring a jacket to eat in MDR on formal night. We have been on three other cruise lines and he has never brought one before. He truly believes being on vaca should be relaxing not putting on the ritz so to speak...I myself only wear capris and tanks or sleeveless tops nothing to write home about.

I believe the tie is the optional part to the post you quoted, not the jacket.

Regarding formal nights, there is nothing saying that you have to eat in the main dining room on formal nights. If either the man or woman want to dress up, no worries... There's no need to pack a lot of extra dress clothes. Many cruise passengers venture into the ocean view café for dinner on formal nights. Or, wear "smart casual" and go to one of the specialty restaurants. There are plenty of threads that discuss what smart casual dress entails.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by vulcan1971

Regarding formal nights, there is nothing saying that you have to eat in the main dining room on formal nights. If either the man or woman want to dress up, no worries... There's no need to pack a lot of extra dress clothes. Many cruise passengers venture into the ocean view café for dinner on formal nights. Or, wear "smart casual" and go to one of the specialty restaurants. There are plenty of threads that discuss what smart casual dress entails.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

You're 100% correct, but Let's be quite clear about these other options.

The Ocean View Cafe is the buffet. Serve yourself with food that we find inferior to what is available in the MDR.

All the speciality restaurants are extra cost and IMHO not serving better food than the MDR. Just different food.

The Ocean View Cafe is the buffet. Serve yourself with food that we find inferior to what is available in the MDR.

All the speciality restaurants are extra cost and IMHO not serving better food than the MDR. Just different food.

jkgourmet -

Appreciate your comments, but I think you over-reached on the "opinion" side of things. The person I quoted, and provided some information to, was curious/concerned about options if they did not want to bring formal attire. I provided some options to them that could make it easy to pack and plan from a clothing perspective.

I don't presume to know what their tastes in food are, or how much money they have in their bank accounts. They are capable of deciding for themselves what works for them.

Apparently you felt it important enough to share your personal feelings (opinions) with all of us, but not sure it actually contributed in a meaningful way. :rolleyes::confused:

There are lots of options...room service, buffet, paid resturants. In the end, we bring the jacket, but we always consider not doing so. I know cruisers who go to bistro every formal night. That is 7. Pp.

Let's also clarify and add to these options, the MDR menu can be delivered at no charge to the cabin and enjoyed as room service.

Ands as you say about the Specialties, the food in the Ocean View Cafe is no better or worse than MDR, just different food. Although one can get a properly cooked-to-order steak (or fish, or chicken) on demand, as opposed to one cooked up banquet style in the MDR. I actually enjoy the Ocean View Cafe a night or 2 for dinner, even in a suite and with access to BLU.

If one is concerned about having to pay extra for a specialty restaurant, the solution is simple, bring a jacket.

Edited by cle-guy

Let's also clarify and add to these options, the MDR menu can be delivered at no charge to the cabin and enjoyed as room service.

Assuming you have a table in your cabin that can comfortably be used for dining. Our standard verandah cabin, OV or inside cabins do not provide that, essentially eliminating the room service option.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Forums mobile app

Assuming you have a table in your cabin that can comfortably be used for dining. Our standard verandah cabin, OV or inside cabins do not provide that, essentially eliminating the room service option.

I've enjoyed room service sitting at the desk in many a hotel room, dozens, maybe even hundreds of times. Not luxurious, but convenient when I don't feel like getting dressed up to go out. All cabins, even inside and OV have a desk and chair.

Agree tables aren't comfortable in OV and Insides (although the desk is acceptable as in any hotel room), but don't verandas have a table and chairs on them? I honestly can't recall from my Aqua cabin veranda if there was one.

Edited by cle-guy

Not to be argumentative...it doesn't eliminate it, it is just less comfortable. There is a tAble, not a large table. This does not bother me, but my husband wants a dining table.

I've enjoyed room service sitting at the desk in many a hotel room, dozens, maybe even hundreds of times. Not luxurious, but convenient when I don't feel like getting dressed up to go out. All cabins, even inside and OV have a desk and chair.

Agree tables aren't comfortable in OV and Insides (although the desk is acceptable as in any hotel room), but don't verandas have a table and chairs on them? I honestly can't recall from my Aqua cabin veranda if there was one.

AQ has a desk, coffee table and small balcony table with footstools. The food fits on the table, just not all the covers.

Here's my prediction: Sometime in the next 24 months, Celebrity will change their dress code to match Azmara -

"Bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps, bathing suits, shorts, and jeans are not allowed in the main dining room or two specialty restaurants. (Khakis and other trousers are fine.)When dining at Windows Café, guests must wear footwear and a cover-up or shirt.In Prime C, Aqualina and Discoveries Restaurant, many guests enjoying dressing up. Formal evening wear (tuxedos and gowns) is not expected. We recommend that men bring a sport coat or suit; this attire comes in handy for evenings onshore as well. For women, dining attire includes dresses, skirts, blouses with pants and capris, and other appropriate attire."

I'm going to bookmark this post for future 'I told you so' referral.

Here's my prediction: Sometime in the next 24 months, Celebrity will change their dress code to match Azmara -

"Bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps, bathing suits, shorts, and jeans are not allowed in the main dining room or two specialty restaurants. (Khakis and other trousers are fine.)When dining at Windows Café, guests must wear footwear and a cover-up or shirt.In Prime C, Aqualina and Discoveries Restaurant, many guests enjoying dressing up. Formal evening wear (tuxedos and gowns) is not expected. We recommend that men bring a sport coat or suit; this attire comes in handy for evenings onshore as well. For women, dining attire includes dresses, skirts, blouses with pants and capris, and other appropriate attire."

If they banned jeans I'd be looking for another cruise line

Sport coat or suit for evenings onshore...that's where I draw the line. No way. But funny.

Oh, I hope not. That dress code is too ambiguous and will only cause one argument after another.

For example: exactly what does: "In Prime C, Aqualina and Discoveries Restaurant, many guests enjoying dressing up." mean? At most, it is a hint to dress up. At worst, it will be a source of endless questioning.

Also: "We recommend....". More ambiguity.

A realistic dress code should state the minimum standards in clear and unambiguous terms.

Oh, I hope not. That dress code is too ambiguous and will only cause one argument after another.

For example: exactly what does: "In Prime C, Aqualina and Discoveries Restaurant, many guests enjoying dressing up." mean? At most, it is a hint to dress up. At worst, it will be a source of endless questioning.

Also: "We recommend....". More ambiguity.

A realistic dress code should state the minimum standards in clear and unambiguous terms.

Have to strongly agree with you about this.

There are lots of options...room service, buffet, paid resturants. In the end, we bring the jacket, but we always consider not doing so. I know cruisers who go to bistro every formal night. That is 7. Pp.

Don't you have to pay to got to the bistro? I know there is the buffet option...but we are buffet "snobs" If the service are requires a sneeze guard over the food we would rather not..we have cruised multiple times and have seen some rude behaviour and not just from children at. Buffets.

Don't you have to pay to got to the bistro? I know there is the buffet option...but we are buffet "snobs" If the service are requires a sneeze guard over the food we would rather not..we have cruised multiple times and have seen some rude behaviour and not just from children at. Buffets.

They have great cook to order stations and carving stations. It's not your normal buffet. The stir fry station is excellent.