Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

The good old dress guideline question never seems to die,lol Guess thats why we prefer BLU---didn't have to dress up, but many still did on our 2013 Med cruise on the Silhouette. I still wore a suit. If you don't want to dress up, one can eat elsehwere......

[quote name='MizDemeanor']It seems to me that a more relaxed dress is independent from Cruise Critic based on many of the observations of its members who report back.[/QUOTE]

Greetings

Yes, I have noticed the same thing. There are many posters here who like to quote the rules and not acknowledge that often times Celebrity allows a more relaxed dress. Maybe when they cruise everyone dons tuxes, suits, and gowns. But many of us here try to report on what we actually see on the cruises and not what is shown in the glossy pictures in the brochures.

Good Sailing
Tom

[quote name='vulcan1971']Always examples of comments trying to encourage a more relaxed dress code in spite of celebrities guidelines. :rolleyes:

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro[/QUOTE]

I am not trying to "encourage" a more relaxed dress code. We always dress for dinner and my husband wears a suit for formal nights. Just trying to answer honestly what I have observed in the MDR.

Hi
I have tried reading a lot of this post and don't want to spark an issue, just clarifying I have it right as we are Aussies doing our first Celebrity cruise (I am aware this may spoil us for our old ones) in April from Sydney to Honolulu so need to think about flights back and baggage. From what I gather from comments-
18 night cruise we will have 3-4 formal nights
Formal dress is required in the MDR only on those nights not throughout the ship
My husband can't wear a tie, however a suit jacket nice shirt and pants will be fine as will a cocktail/formal dress for me
Rest of the time we can stay smart casual- Long pants/collared or Polo shirt for him and skirt/top or pants suit for me in the evening.
That will carry us through
Thanks
Deb & Step

[quote name='debstep']Hi
I have tried reading a lot of this post and don't want to spark an issue, just clarifying I have it right as we are Aussies doing our first Celebrity cruise (I am aware this may spoil us for our old ones) in April from Sydney to Honolulu so need to think about flights back and baggage. From what I gather from comments-
18 night cruise we will have 3-4 formal nights
Formal dress is required in the MDR only on those nights not throughout the ship
My husband can't wear a tie, however a suit jacket nice shirt and pants will be fine as will a cocktail/formal dress for me
Rest of the time we can stay smart casual- Long pants/collared or Polo shirt for him and skirt/top or pants suit for me in the evening.
That will carry us through
Thanks
Deb & Step[/QUOTE]

We have just come off a two week cruise on the Century pre Christmas. Whilst I had a jacket I took it off as soon as I sat down and never wore a tie. In all three formal nights I was never made to feel uncomfortable by either staff or other diners nor did I feel that way,and quite frankly no one gave a damn about me. They were more concerned about enjoying themselves as did we.
Ido find however with a 23kg baggage allowance and an extra 7kg in the cabin that space couldn't be found for a jacket if it was deemed desirable.

It's the same old language problem - something has one meaning in some countries, and a different meaning elsewhere.

So (being British), what I would like to know is this - for men, a sports shirt -
is that a shirt (with a colour and buttons all the way down the front) or can a polo shirt be ok?

I take it that ties won't be wanted for non-formal occasions; what about jackets?

[quote name='Ceciljag']It's the same old language problem - something has one meaning in some countries, and a different meaning elsewhere.

So (being British), what I would like to know is this - for men, a sports shirt -
is that a shirt (with a colour and buttons all the way down the front) or can a polo shirt be ok?

I take it that ties won't be wanted for non-formal occasions; what about jackets?[/QUOTE]

Either shirt you described will work for Smart Casual/non-formal. No jacket required for Smart Casual/no-formal.

I am continually amazed at all the men who swear that they have no room to pack a sports coat :( - or what I refer to as a blazer. Wear it on the plane (or in the car) with your jeans over a casual shirt. Actually looks nice - can be stuck in overhead if too warm but nice to have if too cool - then you have it for formal nights and it doesn't take luggage space. Showing up to the MDR in just a dress shirt and tie - just looks silly unless you are 6 yrs old.

[quote name='Ceciljag']Oooops - sorry for the spelling, I meant collar not colour.

Anyway cheers for the information, I hope that covers for evening dinner time as well.

No tie and jacket makes life a lot easier - saves on the packing too.:)[/QUOTE]

Yes this is for the evening in the MDR on nonformal evenings only.

[quote name='LetsGetWet!']A jacket for formal night is not "suggested", it's listed as required. And actually, if you read all the reports here, being turned away on formal night without a jacket is quite likely.[/QUOTE]Was just on the Summit and no one seemed to get turned away on formal night or smart casual night.

On smart casual night, there were some men in shorts, flip flops and some women who were way less than just casual.

On formal night, men without jackets, a man in a short sleeve plaid shirt, a woman in a plain white t-shirt and plain pants, a woman in leggings, flip flops and a Mumu type cover-up, just to name a couple.

Didn't seem as though they enforced the dress code and if they aren't going to enforce it, for both men and women, then they need to get rid of it.

[quote name='NLH Arizona']Was just on the Summit and no one seemed to get turned away on formal night or smart casual night.

On smart casual night, there were some men in shorts, flip flops and some women who were way less than just casual.

On formal night, men without jackets, a man in a short sleeve plaid shirt, a woman in a plain white t-shirt and plain pants, a woman in leggings, flip flops and a Mumu type cover-up, just to name a couple.

Didn't seem as though they enforced the dress code and if they aren't going to enforce it, for both men and women, then they need to get rid of it.[/QUOTE]

100% agree!

We were out for dinner last night with dear friends who discovered the pleasure of cruising only a few years ago. They just returned from a trans-Pacific cruise aboard the Crown Princess.

Just for grins, I asked what the reality was regarding formal nights. They had 4 such nights and attended 2 of them, choosing alternative dining restaurants for the other two nights.

They reported that on the two nights they went to the MDR, almost everyone was in formal, or near formal attire...but that the MDR was only about 1/2 full both nights. They guessed that a "Formal required" dress code was a way for Princess to cut down on the number of high end meals (lobster and steak) they would be serving.

They also reported that, on the other nights, some were dressed in "tasteful" shorts with no ramifications.

Finally, they did say they appreciated the notion that fine dining on a cruise ship was something quite special and that most of their fellow passengers respected the standards. Edited by Sow There

[quote name='jkgourmet']As will celebrity- as you will all find put when they change the dress code in the next 24 months. Count on it!

Sent from my LG-D851 using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

Because that's your opinion and I can't count on it. Time will tell.

[quote name='davekathy']Because that's your opinion and I can't count on it. Time will tell.[/QUOTE]I'm with jkgourmet, a staff member onboard my cruise said that there have been many meetings about the dress code. I think formal night will definitely go by the wayside, like many lines have done. When you look at my last cruise, where there were way more than a few that didn't abide by the dress code, I understand why they might discontinue the dress code and as much as I like to dress up, I certainly would accept their decision.

They could make the specialty restaurants formal on a couple of nights and those that want to really dress up could go there on those nights. Edited by NLH Arizona

On NCL its called dress up or not. The dressy evenings are not eliminated, they are still very much favored by guests who prefer to enjoy that kind of occasion.

Think like NCL, it does not have to be all or nothing, it can be very much up to the guest, which apparently it already is on Celebrity.:o

[quote name='MizDemeanor']On NCL its called dress up or not. The dressy evenings are not eliminated, they are still very much favored by guests who prefer to enjoy that kind of occasion.

Think like NCL, it does not have to be all or nothing, it can be very much up to the guest, which apparently it already is on Celebrity.:o[/QUOTE]True, but if you read those "most be all formal night" posts, they would be very, very upset if they had to sit next to someone or in the same MDR with someone just wearing smart casual clothes on the nights that they are dressed up.

It's funny, on NCL those that dress up don't really care what the person across the MDR from them is wearing or the person sitting next to them, because it is all about how they feel not what others are wearing. When I cruise NCL, I dress up for dinner at the specialty restaurants, but many don't and it has never caused me not to enjoy my meal and/or dining experience.

I could care less what someone wears, my point is that if Celebrity is not going to enforce the dress code, then they shouldn't have it at all or make the specialty restaurants formal on a few nights to appease those that only want to sit with those formally attired. Edited by NLH Arizona

It seems that most of the people who are upset are people who don't want to dress formally on formal nights. It's amazing how people love to twist that around. The same complainers are here giving advice to unsuspecting new posters when on board no one has a word to say because the non-conformists are few an no one really cares about them.

We all see them and we still all see the vast majority that do as requested. It's certainly not an onerous dress code. Most people who don't care to participate make another choice for a couple of hours a week. They act like adults.