Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Additionally, the dress code is only for the MDR and if you are on a Caribbean cruise the majority will be in shorts and t shirts during the day. Shorts are also allowed in the evenings throughout the ship except the dining rooms.

Greetings

Theater is also smart casual in the evenings, there shouldn't be shorts but...

Good Sailing

Tom

For formal nights my better half wears a nice pair of black pants and a fancy top. I wear nice slacks and a sports coat and tie. Spent 30 years in a 3 piece suit - no more for me. There are some that look like they are at the beach and certainly everyone can look nice and appropriate. One would not wear shorts to a nice restaurant in Scottsdale, so wearing them to the MDR is tacky as well.

itzmered - Absolutely love the name of you first ship you cruised on. Made my day!

Neither does she.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Nice.

I insure my trip for many reasons.

Particularly because my baggage contents are more than my suite cabin costs. Heck a pair of my shoes might exceed that!

Celebrity Eclipse 2016 Norwegian Fjords - while I understand the dress code, as a cruise virgin I'm unsure about how likely it is that passengers will be wearing tuxedos / dinner jackets. Should I pack mine?

Consort

2016 cruise and already worying what to pack :D

This cruise sails from Southampton doesn't it? We did the Med cruise on the Eclipse that followed a 2014 Norwegian Fjords cruise (we knew people on that earlier cruise who stayed on for the following med cruise).

Based on our observations Formal Night in the MDR was very well observed - whilst not particularly paying too much attention, I didn't spot any obvious casual dress. Dinner Suits and Lounge Suits were the norm on all formal nights for men.

Even on the smart casual nights I don't recall seeing any shorts in the MDR.

I think this echos other's observations, that The Eclipse seems to maintain a higher dress code during the summer on its cruises out of Southampton than perhaps other ships in other destinations.

Plenty of time for a policy change between now and 2016. P and O who cater for a largely UK crowd apparantly still manage to maintain their strict dress codes

Edited by DYKWIA

Hi Everyone,

In an effort to create an improved experience regarding Dress Codes, we are trying out a new feature, by creating a "Sticky" thread. This New thread is to be used for all discussions regarding Celebrity's Dress Code policy.

We have established this thread, as the "go to" thread for all discussions pertaining to Celebrity Cruise Line's Dress Code policies. This thread is intended to make it easier for all Cruise Critic members to discuss current policies and any future changes. This is in lieu of having multiple simultaneous threads containing various discussions. We will combine all new posts and threads to this thread. Please follow our lead and post your questions and comments about Celebrity's Dress Code policies on this thread.

If you have any questions, you are welcome to email us.

Thank you to all for participating in our community !

Sincerely,

Host Andy

Host Walt

Here is the current Celebrity policy (as of October 12, 2014):

------------------------

What to Pack

So what do you pack? You'll need three types of clothing-casual or day wear, clothes for sightseeing (this clothing also needs to take into account what excursions you have planned) and evening wear. When you're on the ship or in a port of call, stylish resort wear is fine for everyone. If you're traveling in a warmer climate, this includes walking shorts and polo shirts, swimsuits and cover-ups, lightweight slacks or skirts and a light sweater. For cooler climates, you'll want casual clothing that can be layered. Don't forget to pack a raincoat or umbrella, and perhaps a waterproof hat and gloves. On any Celebrity Cruise it's smart to bring comfortable, rubber-soled shoes, hat, sunglasses and sunscreen. And, remember to pack your prescription medications and other personal care items you'll need.

Evening Attire

Evenings aboard Celebrity include two types of dress: "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal."

"Smart Casual and Above"

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or a dressy pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate attire each evening. A casual dress code applies at all times onboard Celebrity Xpedition®.

-------------------------

CELEBRITY DOES NOT enforce its dress code so why bother discussing it. Just returned from another Celebrity curise and was told "Miami" does not allow them to enforce the dress code that is published.

WHY HAVE ONE?

CELEBRITY DOES NOT enforce its dress code so why bother discussing it. Just returned from another Celebrity curise and was told "Miami" does not allow them to enforce the dress code that is published.

WHY HAVE ONE?

Good to know but we'll still dress according to the MDR evening dress guidelines other than the first evening.

WHY HAVE ONE?

Because they are getting ready to dump the formal dress code. IMHO.

It's a shame to see people still worried about what to wear on a cruise given its a vacation/ holiday. We have cruised now for around 20 years on many of the cruise lines and bring the same clothes regardless of the line. I wear a tux on formal nights and a black suite without a tie on none formal. My other half wears a dress, saving the poshest one for the formal nights. That's it, no fretting regardless, it's that simple. I did notice fairly early on that a percentage of our American cousins seemed to prefer the more casual route which of course is their right but we like dressing up so I guess we don't get the stress of the whole thing.

New here, and first time cruiser next month (March 2015) so please be kind if this should be apparent, is on another thread or has already been answered. Quoting from above, "Written Restrictions and Jeans: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, tank tops, caps and poolwear are not allowed in the main or specialty restaurants. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed during evening hours. As long as jeans don't have holes, rips or tears, they are permitted on "Smart Casual and Above" nights." Specifically about "shorts and flip-flops are not allowed during evening hours.". Does this refer to restaurants specifically, or ship-wide? E.g. are shorts and casual shoes allowed when walking the decks and halls in the evening? How about evening outside on the lawn and bar near the bar (Sunset?)? Using the hot tub in the evening-Ok to use elevators to my room in a cover-up?

New here, and first time cruiser next month (March 2015) so please be kind if this should be apparent, is on another thread or has already been answered. Quoting from above, "Written Restrictions and Jeans: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, tank tops, caps and poolwear are not allowed in the main or specialty restaurants. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed during evening hours. As long as jeans don't have holes, rips or tears, they are permitted on "Smart Casual and Above" nights." Specifically about "shorts and flip-flops are not allowed during evening hours.". Does this refer to restaurants specifically, or ship-wide? E.g. are shorts and casual shoes allowed when walking the decks and halls in the evening? How about evening outside on the lawn and bar near the bar (Sunset?)? Using the hot tub in the evening-Ok to use elevators to my room in a cover-up?

The shorts/flip-flops restrictions specifically refers to the MDR and specialty restaurants and presumably the theatre. Most people you see in the bars and lounges at night will be dressed as they were for dinner but this could include people who ate at the buffet and stayed casual all day.

Shorts and casual footwear are perfectly acceptable in the public areas at night including on the lawn.

Just off 4 weeks on Eclipse and regret to report the was NO DRESS code at any time, anywhere on the ship. Formal night in the Sky Lounge there were people walking into the lounge in flip flops and bathing suits - it was gross. There was never any staff at the entrance, drink coupons were used for the entire cruise and officers and Captains Club staff were rarely present. If we wanted Carnival atmosphere we would have cruised on Carnival - it has really turned us off to Celebrity.

We did Jan.18-Feb.1 & saw nothing like you describe. People seem to follow the dresscodes reasonably well. True, I'm speaking about in the MDR. Still I never saw anyone dressed the way you said, especially in Sky lounge.During the day it's pretty casual, but at night most dressed pretty well. The least properly dressed stuck to the buffet area.

The shorts/flip-flops restrictions specifically refers to the MDR and specialty restaurants and presumably the theatre. Most people you see in the bars and lounges at night will be dressed as they were for dinner but this could include people who ate at the buffet and stayed casual all day.

Shorts and casual footwear are perfectly acceptable in the public areas at night including on the lawn.

Flip flops at night are hardly what most would call acceptable. On our recent Jan.18'th Eclipse trip..No where was it mentioned(in ANY daily paper or at guest relations) about jeans at night. It simply stated "slacks with no holes" are acceptable on smart casual night. Personally I DON'T take that as jeans. If jeans are acceptable it NEEDS to say it! During the day different story.

Flip flops at night are hardly what most would call acceptable. On our recent Jan.18'th Eclipse trip..No where was it mentioned(in ANY daily paper or at guest relations) about jeans at night. It simply stated "slacks with no holes" are acceptable on smart casual night. Personally I DON'T take that as jeans. If jeans are acceptable it NEEDS to say it! During the day different story.

Now you are just being silly. You are saying that if something is not explicitly mentioned then it is unacceptable. You might as well say that trousers are unacceptable because they are not slacks.

I have worn jeans every single night I have been on Celebrity. If I'm not going to a show and the weather is warm I will often be wandering around the ship in shorts and flip-flops, like many others do.

Just off the Silhouette on the February 8th through the 15th Western Caribbean cruise and found that the majority of cruisers followed the dress code. Most of the men wore either a Tux, Suit, or sport coat. As the focus on this thread seems to concentrate on the men's dress code, here is my experience based on our recent cruise. On the first formal night at the 6:00 PM fixed seating in the MDR I saw 2 men without coats. They were dressed in pants with short sleeve dress shirts. Obviously the dress code was not enforced. On the second formal night there were a few more men without coats, maybe 6 to 7. On non formal nights the dress in the MDR mostly followed the smart casual dress code and I did not see any men wearing jeans. Being somewhat of a traditionalist, I appreciate those that follow the dress code but realize there are some who feel they can do whatever they want because they "paid for their cruise". However, there are various cruise lines that afford guests a more liberal dress code policy than Celebrity and I suggest those who don't like the dress code on Celebrity, cruise those lines as apposed to ignoring the Celebrity dress code and doing their own thing. We enjoyed our recent cruise and hope that Celebrity continues to provide a more up scaled cruising experience.

Just off the Silhouette on the February 8th through the 15th Western Caribbean cruise and found that the majority of cruisers followed the dress code. Most of the men wore either a Tux, Suit, or sport coat. As the focus on this thread seems to concentrate on the men's dress code, here is my experience based on our recent cruise. On the first formal night at the 6:00 PM fixed seating in the MDR I saw 2 men without coats. They were dressed in pants with short sleeve dress shirts. Obviously the dress code was not enforced. On the second formal night there were a few more men without coats, maybe 6 to 7. On non formal nights the dress in the MDR mostly followed the smart casual dress code and I did not see any men wearing jeans. Being somewhat of a traditionalist, I appreciate those that follow the dress code but realize there are some who feel they can do whatever they want because they "paid for their cruise". However, there are various cruise lines that afford guests a more liberal dress code policy than Celebrity and I suggest those who don't like the dress code on Celebrity, cruise those lines as apposed to ignoring the Celebrity dress code and doing their own thing. We enjoyed our recent cruise and hope that Celebrity continues to provide a more up scaled cruising experience.

I'll bet Celebrity (RCI) will disagree with your recommendations.

Edited by davekathy

However, there are various cruise lines that afford guests a more liberal dress code policy than Celebrity and I suggest those who don't like the dress code on Celebrity, cruise those lines as apposed to ignoring the Celebrity dress code and doing their own thing. We enjoyed our recent cruise and hope that Celebrity continues to provide a more up scaled cruising experience.

The funny thing is that I originally chose Celebrity (and continue to) because of its relaxed dress code. I can book Aqua class and wear jeans in Blu every night without any consideration of formal wear. Celebrity is the only cruise line I have been on (thanks to Aqua class) where I can be comfortable yet still conform with the dress code. Even Carnival explicitly forbids jeans on formal night.

Edited by gek