Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

I have been following this thread and would like to give my opinion. We will be cruising in Feb for our 5th cruise on Celebrity. We enjoy the formal nights in the MDR, and hope they continue going forward. Having said that, I do realize that the times they are changing. However, until Celebrity changes their dress code, I find it arrogant that those who do not want to comply with the policy feel they can ignore and do as they wish. Those who snub the current policy may be the same ones who ignore parking restrictions as they apply to "others" but not them. We will enjoy our upcoming cruise no matter how people dress in the MDR but I would hope that Celebrity would make changes to clarify the dress code one way or the other.

DH wore a nice bowtie, vest and dress shirt to 2 formal night dinners last December on Equinox...Looked great and no problem getting in which is what we anticipated. Took up less space than a jacket in suitcase.

Since rules are the rules though, he was prepared to take a Celebrity supplied jacket at the door and put it on the back of his seat if they insisted.

I understand the reasoning by Celebrity, but still found it odd that one could dine in a nice specialty restaurant on formal nights without jacket requirement. I would have thought that the nicer restaurant should be the place where jackets must be worn.

I don't know…Breaking the law? I dont think so. Arrogance is not how I see it either, I see it as indifference. That to many, dressing Formal in unimportant to how people take their vacations. Those who are indifferent are simply unintersted in formal dress.

Celebrity has identified which evenings are formal. Those evenings are still there for those who are intersted in dressing foraml. There however remains a reasonable homgenized middle ground for Celebrity guests.

I think that people need to accept that times have changed, and the days of compliance by all guests because its the right thing to do are over. Its not going to go back to what it was 10 or 15 years ago.

Thank the economy, thank the airlines. The proverbial baggage has been shed in those deaprtments. Its been shed by cruise guests too. Its no longer practical for a large segment of guests to force fit costs or comfort. Edited by MizDemeanor

[quote name='tbmrt']DH wore a nice bowtie, vest and dress shirt to 2 formal night dinners last December on Equinox...Looked great and no problem getting in which is what we anticipated. Took up less space than a jacket in suitcase.

Since rules are the rules though, he was prepared to take a Celebrity supplied jacket at the door and put it on the back of his seat if they insisted.

I understand the reasoning by Celebrity, but still found it odd that one could dine in a nice specialty restaurant on formal nights without jacket requirement. I would have thought that the nicer restaurant should be the place where jackets must be worn.[/QUOTE]

It's a matter of money, many people know on formal nights you can go to the specialties and not bring formal clothes. Same principal in Blu. As long as they can make money it won't change.

[quote name='jkgourmet']As will celebrity- as you will all find put when they change the dress code in the next 24 months. Count on it!

Sent from my LG-D851 using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

People said the same thing five years ago, only time will tell. If they change the dress code I believe they will do it when the new ships come out.

Greetings

Last weekend my SO and I attended a tour/lunch aboard Oceania Riviera. They had invited (via their travel agent partners) 200 or so Celebrity, HAL, and Princess cruisers to extol the virtues of a Oceania cruise. One of the things they stressed in their sales pitch was that they were "resort casual" and you never have to worry about bringing formal clothes along. It is interesting that they see this as a selling point.

If a decision comes to change the dress code it will come from the marketing people at Celebrity HQ. It's is all about filling the ships with passengers. They know there are some formal loyalist who might choose other lines if the code is changed. But they also know that there's another group who choose not to sail Celebrity or are being lured away from Celebrity because they feel it's too formal/stuffy. When the marketing people decide that Celebrity will attract a significantly greater number from the second group than they lose from the first group they will make the change. When/if a change occurs is yet to be seen, but you can bet it is something that corporate is always evaluating.

Good Sailing
Tom

[quote name='MizDemeanor']Aside from Cunard, what other lines hold fast to Formal Dress?[/QUOTE]Crystal still has a formal night, but now they only have 1 formal night for a 7 day cruise, where they use to have 2 and their formal nights are truly formal. Edited by NLH Arizona

[quote name='Ordinary Chef']I have been following this thread and would like to give my opinion. We will be cruising in Feb for our 5th cruise on Celebrity. We enjoy the formal nights in the MDR, and hope they continue going forward. Having said that, I do realize that the times they are changing. However, until Celebrity changes their dress code, I find it arrogant that those who do not want to comply with the policy feel they can ignore and do as they wish. Those who snub the current policy may be the same ones who ignore parking restrictions as they apply to "others" but not them. We will enjoy our upcoming cruise no matter how people dress in the MDR but I would hope that Celebrity would make changes to clarify the dress code one way or the other.[/QUOTE]

The current Celebrity published dress guidelines are very clear. It's the staffs lack of enforcing what is published is the issue.

"Smart Casual & Above" attire includes:
Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire includes:
Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks.

The dress code in Celebrity’s specialty restaurants, including Blu, is “Smart Casual & Above” for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The appropriate dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. Additionally, you are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Seems like the most recent explosion of posts for this thread are less about answering questions on applicable/appropriate attire and more about what people think is "acceptable" just because they have an eye-witness account of it happening. This is disappointing to think that the average person coming to this board to read and better understand may end up coming away from this thread thinking that it is "okay" to skirt the guidance provided by Celebrity.

If/when I see someone in the dining room wearing something considered "too casual" for the given evening, my first thought is not that I think Celebrity standards are going down hill or that Celebrity is "encouraging" a more casual form of dress... my thoughts are about why is this being permitted to happen? Why are the hosts and maitre d not doing their job?

If someone wants a "resort casual" environment, they are perfectly capable of booking a cruise on a cruise line that provides for this environment.... as opposed to trying hard to break well known guidance by attempting to wear it into the Celebrity MDR.

The current Celebrity published dress guidelines are very clear. It's the staffs lack of enforcing what is published is the issue.

"Smart Casual & Above" attire includes:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks.

The dress code in Celebrity’s specialty restaurants, including Blu, is “Smart Casual & Above” for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The appropriate dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. Additionally, you are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Actually the problem is the people themselves. Why should something like this have to be "enforced". We should give them correct information and what they do with it is their problem. Let's face it, we have the usual suspects that will always encourage others to make themselves feel better.

Actually the problem is the people themselves. Why should something like this have to be "enforced". We should give them correct information and what they do with it is their problem. Let's face it, we have the usual suspects that will always encourage others to make themselves feel better.

I agree it "shouldn't have" to be "enforced".

Edited by davekathy

If one wants to wear formal attire, no one is stopping anyone. They are not being ridiculed and critisized or labeled and they could just as easily be with all sorts of devisive terms. If being with +/-2,800 strangers, and knowing very well in advance, and from experience, that those +/-2,800 people will not be in formal attire then people should stop complaining about it and trying to win an argument. It seems a silly waste of time.

Formal Dress is no longer the standard in order to cruise, there are remnants of those days that remain on Celebrity. There are those that enjoy it, there are those that find meaning in it. No one is criticizing that segment and there is nothing wrong with being in that segment. It's a personal decsion and a personal preference.

It's easy to see that holding on to historical methods does not allow one to move on with a confident nature into the future. Insisting that others remain 'stuck' with them in historical practices that they simply have no interest in makes it appear as though some people just can't stop smothering others.

Seems a silly waste of time.

If being with +/-2,800 strangers, and knowing very well in advance, and from experience, that those +/-2,800 people will not be in formal attire then people should stop complaining about it and trying to win an argument. It seems a silly waste of time.

I'm not sure which itineraries you've cruised with Celebrity, but on all of our cruises, there were more people than not dressed up in both the MDR and Blu.

If one wants to wear formal attire, no one is stopping anyone. They are not being ridiculed and critisized or labeled and they could just as easily be with all sorts of devisive terms. If being with +/-2,800 strangers, and knowing very well in advance, and from experience, that those +/-2,800 people will not be in formal attire then people should stop complaining about it and trying to win an argument. It seems a silly waste of time.

Formal Dress is no longer the standard in order to cruise, there are remnants of those days that remain on Celebrity. There are those that enjoy it, there are those that find meaning in it. No one is criticizing that segment and there is nothing wrong with being in that segment. It's a personal decsion and a personal preference.

It's easy to see that holding on to historical methods does not allow one to move on with a confident nature into the future. Insisting that others remain 'stuck' with them in historical practices that they simply have no interest in makes it appear as though some people just can't stop smothering others.

Seems a silly waste of time.

I can't imagine how you came up with this in response to what I said but it really is amusing. I think I said all we can do is give correct information and what people do with it is their problem.

Until Celebrity changes their dress code making these kinds of comments is a waste of time.

Edited by Ma Bell

I'm not sure which itineraries you've cruised with Celebrity, but on all of our cruises, there were more people than not dressed up in both the MDR and Blu.

I've been on Celebrity ships with three types of dress but that is part of the past. There have been recent posts on this thread recently that suggest those with less interst in Formal Attire have been allowed in the MDR much to the chagrin of some others.

I appreciate that you are indictaing that you found your recent cruises to be more dressed than not, yet what you consider dressed may still fall short and differ from what some others think it should be.

Until Celebrity changes their dress code making these kinds of comments is a waste of time.

But if you give INcorrect information (you won't need a jacket on formal night, and MOST of the passengers won't dress for formal night) then maybe you can convince more to flaunt the dress code like you want to - and therefore advance your own agenda! :)

I can't imagine how you came up with this in response to what I said but it really is amusing. I think I said all we can do is give correct information and what people do with it is their problem.

It's not their *problem*. It's their choice. People are not quite as inept as others may think. They can ask questions, obtain information, evaluate and then make a decision.

Miz,

In my experience, which is considerable, most people still do the best they can in the main dining room. I don't go on short Caribbean cruises so can't comment as to those but do sail three to four times a year for at about two weeks at a time and formal nights are still alive and well. Celebrity has always had a formal dress code that affords all kinds of choices and although many people may choose the lower degree of formality, they still dress up and look nice.

In the past there were no alternatives for those who don't care to dress for dinner but now there is something for everyone.

But if you give INcorrect information (you won't need a jacket on formal night, and MOST of the passengers won't dress for formal night) then maybe you can convince more to flaunt the dress code like you want to - and therefore advance your own agenda! :)

I hope you are using the editorial "you" because I wouldn't ever tell anyone that. I agree 100%.

I hope you are using the editorial "you" because I wouldn't ever tell anyone that. I agree 100%.

Definitely wasn't accusing you - just commenting after your post about "making these kinds of comments is a waste of time." Just saying that those making them are actively advancing an agenda, so they hope they're not a waste of time.

yet what you consider dressed may still fall short and differ from what some others think it should be.

Very true! I've seen very few that are truly formal and none that are in cut-offs and flip-flops.

One of the problems with these discussions is people seem to want to argue extremes. Personally, I'm just happy if women wear cocktail/evening wear and the men, a jacket and tie.

Seems like the most recent explosion of posts for this thread are less about answering questions on applicable/appropriate attire and more about what people think is "acceptable" just because they have an eye-witness account of it happening. This is disappointing to think that the average person coming to this board to read and better understand may end up coming away from this thread thinking that it is "okay" to skirt the guidance provided by Celebrity.

If/when I see someone in the dining room wearing something considered "too casual" for the given evening, my first thought is not that I think Celebrity standards are going down hill or that Celebrity is "encouraging" a more casual form of dress... my thoughts are about why is this being permitted to happen? Why are the hosts and maitre d not doing their job?

If someone wants a "resort casual" environment, they are perfectly capable of booking a cruise on a cruise line that provides for this environment.... as opposed to trying hard to break well known guidance by attempting to wear it into the Celebrity MDR.

Totally agree!!!!

Very true! I've seen very few that are truly formal and none that are in cut-offs and flip-flops.

One of the problems with these discussions is people seem to want to argue extremes. Personally, I'm just happy if women wear cocktail/evening wear and the men, a jacket and tie.

Agree... And since that's all that's required by Celebrity's dress code, that's all that can be reasonably expected.