Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

It's really almost unbelievable to think it's that objectionable for a guy to put on a jacket and even a tie. It must be absolutely horrific.

In that case let's apply the same standard to women. How would you feel if YOU were forced to wear a jacket and tie? I imagine because you enjoy formal nights you would probably do it but wouldn't you feel somewhat uncomfortable wearing something so foreign? Wouldn't you be annoyed at having to buy or rent something you didn't really enjoy wearing. Wouldn't it annoy you that you weren't allowed to wear your gown because it didn't fit the dress code?

My guess is that you would look at this new dress code for women and think it was idiotic. You would probably choose to eat elsewhere but I doubt you would be happy about it.

If the above comments rang true cruising would still have all males in tuxes, women in long dresses, three quarter gloves and tiaras. These dress codes are of a day gone by thank god. What was once the acceptable formal dress is now by evolution becoming less formal.

One wonders why when one pays so much extra for specialty restaurants the cruise lines don't have formal dress after all its about experiences isn't it.

The cruise lines are about making money catering for the mass market not the bigoted minority.

We are off in 6 weeks and wont be bringing a tie. If we are on the same cruise and run into each other and my lack of a tie offends somebody then so be it.

I will there to enjoy myself and as someone has said earlier "Don't worry too much about what may or may not offend your fellow passengers, the chances are you will never ever see them again."

I'm sure no one will pay the least bit of attention to what you do.

In that case let's apply the same standard to women. How would you feel if YOU were forced to wear a jacket and tie? I imagine because you enjoy formal nights you would probably do it but wouldn't you feel somewhat uncomfortable wearing something so foreign? Wouldn't you be annoyed at having to buy or rent something you didn't really enjoy wearing. Wouldn't it annoy you that you weren't allowed to wear your gown because it didn't fit the dress code?

My guess is that you would look at this new dress code for women and think it was idiotic. You would probably choose to eat elsewhere but I doubt you would be happy about it.

No, Gek, there's nothing to be unhappy about, I make my choices based on what is available and if I didn't want to wear something I'd just do something else for a few hours and if I really wanted to go to the main dining room I'd do as requested. In fact I've done so on a number of occasions. It's like anywhere else I go. I make choices based on my desires but I don't go to places that have certain requirements that I don't want to adhere to. The one thing I wouldn't do is be a jerk just to satisfy my own desires.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I have no issue with Formal Nights.

There was at least one post earlier from someone who seem so perturbed regarding not meeting the dress requirements that they were considering cancelling their cruise.

There have been posts on this forum (several of which have been removed) that have been critical of people or who have suggested the dress code is more than it is, for no other reason than it appears to be what they want. Others seem to take it upon themselves to try and police a dress code on board even where it doesn't apply - suggesting dressing up for the buffet out of respect to those who have dressed up for other restaurants. Others report being told off by other passengers (on board not here) for wearing a short dress above the knee - again this would appear to be exactly what Celebrity suggest (Cocktail dresses are often above the knee)l Surely all this is for to Celebrity to enforce. Their own publicity shows plenty of people dressed up for the night but none (that I can find) in Tuxedo's and Ball gowns.

My points re tuxedos and 70s comics were facetious and not serious - but people from different cultures see tuxedos differently . No one in the UK, for example, wears Tuxedos to get married in, and Morning dress (which is what we do wear) is not appropriate in the evening.

Re Eclipse ex Southampton I was trying to make the point that on some cruises Formal night appears to still be thriving particularly if one is sensitive to feeling under dressed even if you are actually meeting the dress requirements .

Re the comments saying dress code doesn't mention anything about shirts socks or shoes and therefore commonsense dictates ties - take a look at Celebrity's media photographs showing people smartly dressed - everyone wearing shirts but many wearing no tie.

Edited by DYKWIA

No, Gek, there's nothing to be unhappy about, I make my choices based on what is available and if I didn't want to wear something I'd just do something else for a few hours and if I really wanted to go to the main dining room I'd do as requested. In fact I've done so on a number of occasions. It's like anywhere else I go. I make choices based on my desires but I don't go to places that have certain requirements that I don't want to adhere to. The one thing I wouldn't do is be a jerk just to satisfy my own desires.

Fair enough, we are actually in agreement on this, but if the only way to participate in formal nights (which you clearly enjoy) is to wear something you don't feel comfortable in wouldn't you be a little upset with the dress code?

Edited by gek

There was at least one post earlier from someone who seem so perturbed regarding not meeting the dress requirements that they were considering cancelling their cruise.

There have been posts on this forum (several of which have been removed) that have been critical of people or who have suggested the dress code is more than it is, for no other reason than it appears to be what they want. Others seem to take it upon themselves to try and police a dress code on board even where it doesn't apply - suggesting dressing up for the buffet out of respect to those who have dressed up for other restaurants. Others report being told off by other passengers (on board not here) for wearing a short dress above the knee - again this would appear to be exactly what Celebrity suggest (Cocktail dresses are often above the knee)l Surely all this is for to Celebrity to enforce. Their own publicity shows plenty of people dressed up for the night but none (that I can find) in Tuxedo's and Ball gowns.

My points re tuxedos and 70s comics were facetious and not serious - but people from different cultures see tuxedos differently . No one in the UK, for example, wears Tuxedos to get married in, and Morning dress (which is what we do wear) is not appropriate in the evening.

Re Eclipse ex Southampton I was trying to make the point that on some cruises Formal night appears to still be thriving particularly if one is sensitive to feeling under dressed even if you are actually meeting the dress requirements .

Re the comments saying dress code doesn't mention anything about shirts socks or shoes and therefore commonsense dictates ties - take a look at Celebrity's media photographs showing people smartly dressed - everyone wearing shirts but many wearing no tie.

If you look at Celebrity's media shots they are not showing formal nights and it is what Celebrity expected smart casual dress to look like when they changed the dress codes. That is smart casual wear, not formal.They used to have three kinds of dress for the evening, formal, informal, and casual. They found that most people didn't understand what informal meant and people were showing up looking too casual and they wanted to stop that. They came up with the term smart casual thinking that men would wear sport coats or at least be a little more dressed up in the evenings vs casual. Instead they got even more people who didn't get it. The dress code remains and the great majority still do as requested but they are tired of having to fight with people at the door.

Now, we get people coming here and reporting the couple of people they saw that weren't dressed as requested but still got in the dining room. Of course they do and once on board no one is going to say anything about it and few would really care. That doesn't mean it's really the right thing to do, but that's the way it is. We all have choices to make but at least let's start with correct information and what happens after that is the responsibility of each person.

Fair enough, we are actually in agreement on this, but if the only way to participate in formal nights (which you clearly enjoy) is to wear something you don't feel comfortable in wouldn't you be a little upset with the dress code?

No, because I can't imagine there would be anything that uncomfortable that I couldn't do it for a couple of hours if it was something I wanted to do. Probably one of the most uncomfortable things I can think of to wear to dinner would be a pair of jeans.

Edited by Ma Bell

It is a real shame because if men knew how great/hot/fab they looked in a tux/dinner jacket to their wives/partners they would wear them to breakfast, lunch and dinner:D lol It is sad that when DH and I go to formal night with all the elegant ambiance that we don't have in our day to day lives, and we have a couple at the next table where it is obvious that the wife has has spent time and thought in dressing lovely and her DH is sitting there in a tie less shirt and khaki's and proud that no one stopped him at the door. My DH isn't that enthused about bringing his tux but he does to please me and I love him for that little gesture.

Do men in the UK wear dinner jackets? They seem very similar to tuxs.

I hate tuxes. I had my husband wear a suit to our wedding. Not all women think guys look great in a tux. I think they look uncomfortable and make men look "plastic" similar to how a woman looks with too much make up.

DH is not uncomfortable in either a suit or tux. He can't see what the fuss is about. And he does look great as I think men carry themselves differently. His problem is with packing as he is a chronic overpacker (he is tall so size 12 shoes etc take up a lot of room whether they are dress shoes, sandals or what ever. So I usually have his tux in my bag which is no prob.

perhaps for every Formal night we could have a must dress down night with this dress code

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/court-officers-scold-defendants-pull-pants-court-article-1.122779

.. ok not serious

LOL Do you think they might still try to give them a jacket at the door!!

Do men in the UK wear dinner jackets? They seem very similar to tuxs.

They are the same thing, these days its usually a dinner suit - we refer to it as Black Tie Dress Code. We don't wear them for weddings, we would wear Morning Suits, which are much more formal. If sea day lunches in the MDR went formal perhaps we could wear them then

Whilst older people have other images of Dinner suits in their head I think for some of us of a certain age (40s) I think they have a bit of a cheesy reputation and bring back images associated with blue / racist stand up comics of the 1970s, London Gangsters, nightclub doormen, and masonic dinner dances. I wear one about 2 nights a year for award ceremonies / gala functions - I hire and I always feel like I'm wearing a dead mans suit made out of cheap man made material and feel more like Bernard Manning than James Bond, less George Clooney and more Wayne Newton

Edited by DYKWIA

I hate tuxes. I had my husband wear a suit to our wedding. Not all women think guys look great in a tux. I think they look uncomfortable and make men look "plastic" similar to how a woman looks with too much make up.

I like you :)

Just because they aren't uncomfortable doesn't mean everybody is the same. That's rather narcissistic if one believes just because something is comfortable for them it is for everybody else. I can't figure out why what my husband and I wear to dinner would matter one single bit to anybody but the two of us. I honestly couldn't tell you what anybody has ever worn in the dining room on any of our cruises. That being said, I do stand corrected, the gentleman in the bottom picture is quite dashing.

Wife and I spent many years in the military where formal wear was required on many occasions. Google Dress Mess. Ask wife about how she was instructed in the intricacies of which glove length to wear when visiting the Colonel's wife's afternoon tea or how many calling cards to leave behind. We have had all the ambiance we need in this life and formal nights just do not appeal to us.

Just because they aren't uncomfortable doesn't mean everybody is the same. That's rather narcissistic if one believes just because something is comfortable for them it is for everybody else. I can't figure out why what my husband and I wear to dinner would matter one single bit to anybody but the two of us. I honestly couldn't tell you what anybody has ever worn in the dining room on any of our cruises. That being said, I do stand corrected, the gentleman in the bottom picture is quite dashing.

I agree that not everyone is comfortable in the same kinds of things and certainly everyone doesn't need to wear a tux and long dress. My only point was there are plenty of people who are comfortable wearing them and don't look like they are from another century. All three dresses I'm wearing are long and very comfortable and hardly Ball Gowns.

The only point of the conversation here is that there is a dress code and what it is. What anyone decides to do with it only concerns them and they are the only ones who have to deal with it once on board the ship. There's no need for name calling on either side of the equation.

Edited by Ma Bell

We have traveled extensively ... activity driven, historical, religious - but for me cruising is different - it is about romance. Nothing, to me, is more romantic than to see my dh looking dashing in his tux and I in a gown. We choose Celebrity because we enjoy the formal nights, if those go - then so shall we to a line that still requires formal dress. At 57 & 60 we are not youngsters, nor are we elders but we see this as a priority to our cruise experience. Class isn't something you can purchase - it is about conduct and attitude - when you purposely disregard the request of your host - you show what type of class or not you possess.