Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Family friends have just got back from a cruise around the Caribbean with Celebrity - the talk on board is that from today the dress code on Formal nights will no longer be enforced at all across all ships. Further, that from now on every Friday night they will be trialing "Dress Down Friday" where people will be encouraged to dress more casually aiming for a more raucous party atmosphere in the MDR

April Fools?

It has been a while since I've sailed - I think it is well-established by now that jeans are permitted on "smart casual" nights; however, I am someone who is not comfortable wearing the minimum of what is permitted and would prefer to be in the median or a little on the formal side of the median. If my husband wears jeans with a collared shirt and a jacket in the MDR on a "smart casual" night, is he going to be one of the most casual people in the room (except for the odd outlier), or will he fit right in? I told him to pack khakis or slacks, but after browsing this thread for a while, it seems like jeans are perfectly OK (and he would prefer it, since apparently there is a shortage of khakis and slacks in our house at the moment).

He'll be fine, most men do not wear jackets on smart casual nights, heck it might even encourage other guests to wear a jacket!

Like Don mentions, a lot depends upon your itinerary. Transatlantics or European bound voyages seem to us a little more formal. Warm weather cruises, we too see more khakis or white, linen and lightweight trousers. This will be our second transpacific to Asia, and I imagine there will be more jeans.

I'm just beginning to pack and discovered this thread. My husband doesn't wear pants....ever. No matter how cold it is outside, he wears shorts.

That being said, he has some very nice Tommy Bahama silk shorts that he wears with Tommy Bahama shirts or Nat Nast shirts (like Charlie wore on Two and a Half Men). Will that be acceptable to wear in the MDR? (not on formal nights as we've already decided to skip those nights)

Also, he has terrible feet problems that require him to wear tennis shoes only. Will this be a problem?

I'm just beginning to pack and discovered this thread. My husband doesn't wear pants....ever. No matter how cold it is outside, he wears shorts.

That being said, he has some very nice Tommy Bahama silk shorts that he wears with Tommy Bahama shirts or Nat Nast shirts (like Charlie wore on Two and a Half Men). Will that be acceptable to wear in the MDR? (not on formal nights as we've already decided to skip those nights)

Also, he has terrible feet problems that require him to wear tennis shoes only. Will this be a problem?

Shorts are very unlikely to be allowed in the MDR at dinner.

No problem.

Sorry to hear about your husband's disability. Princess is quite responsive to passengers with disability and mobility issues.

Your husband will be fine looking wearing fancy shirt, shorts and tennis shoes in the MDR every night, including Formal Night. When you book, just check Special Needs in your (his Cruise Personalizer i.e. Medical & Dietary Requests. "cannot wear pants", "Has bad feet, must wear tennis shoes only". Upon registering his medical conditions with Princess, the MDR Matrie De will be notified.

BTW, How old is your husband?

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

My husband has twice been turned away from the MDR because he was wearing shorts. Those are the only time he forgot to dress for dinner and they were very polite but firm.

No problem.

Sorry to hear about your husband's disability. Princess is quite responsive to passengers with disability and mobility issues.

Your husband will be fine looking wearing fancy shirt, shorts and tennis shoes in the MDR every night, including Formal Night. When you book, just check Special Needs in your (his Cruise Personalizer i.e. Medical & Dietary Requests. "cannot wear pants", "Has bad feet, must wear tennis shoes only". Upon registering his medical conditions with Princess, the MDR Matrie De will be notified.

Enjoy your cruise.

Erm, Princess? The thread is a Celebrity one. And no, shorts will not be okay.

So he doesn't have a pair of long trousers?

My husband has twice been turned away from the MDR because he was wearing shorts. Those are the only time he forgot to dress for dinner and they were very polite but firm.

This also happened to my husband twice, once at Blu and once getting into the theatre. He was dressed nicely but it Wasn't the dress code and we just were caught up and forgot. So he went back to the room and changed.

We don't have an issue, but for me I would rather not be limited with dining venues by a nice pair of shorts.

I doubt very much that shorts would be let into MDR, or any of the specialty restaurants for dinner.

The tennis shoes however, no issue whatsoever.

No problem.

Enjoy your cruise.

First of all, there is no disability that is preventing him from wearing pants, it is just his preference. While Princess may be quite responsive to passengers with disabilities, this is NOT Princess (it's Celebrity), and this has nothing to do with any disability.

Tennis shoes, as being needed for a disability, is another issue, and as long as it is made clear that is all he can wear, it should be fine.

In answer to someone's question, no he does not own a pair of trousers. We live in Arizona and even when we have snow on the ground (rare occasion but still occurs) he is in shorts. I have purchased a couple pair of Tommy Bahama pants for him to wear in case we decide to dine in the MDR.

In answer to someone else's question, he is not that old at 52 but he taught martial arts for 25+ years and ruined his feet so he no longer has cartilage in his feet. His podiatrist only wants him wearing tennis shoes but he does own a couple pair of topsiders, just not sure he'll be able to wear them.

Certainly looking forward to Saturday!

A member of our family also has foot problems and can only wear tennis shoes.

He bought a pair of plain black ones that he wears on formal nights. They are inconspicuous and nobody has ever commented on them. They have never been a problem so he has never needed to request any special permission to wear them.

Your feet are under the table in the dining room where they are not seen anyway (except perhaps by a service dog if there is one under the table, but it won't care what kind of footwear you have on, even on formal nights). ;)

Edited by varoo

No, just jacket.

I just wish it was the other way around. It's a lot easy to pack a 1 ounce tie than a 2 pound jacket.

That's what we usually do on long cruises - dress shirt and tie but no jacket, just to satisfy the "dressy" look on format nights. We've never been denied, and it frees up 5% of our luggage weight to bring home souvineers. :)

A member of our family also has foot problems and can only wear tennis shoes.

He bought a pair of plain black ones that he wears on formal nights. They are inconspicuous and nobody has ever commented on them. They have never been a problem so he has never needed to request any special permission to wear them.

Your feet are under the table in the dining room where they are not seen anyway (except perhaps by a service dog if there is one under the table, but it won't care what kind of footwear you have on, even on formal nights). ;)

I was thinking about doing the same thing. I recently got a pair of black tennis shoes. I don't think anyone would even notice the difference, and it saves the trouble of packing a 2nd pair of shoes. It's the white ones or bright colors that are too conspicuous. Two birds, one stone.

But not long before that I found a pair of very lightweight (0.8 lbs) slip-on shoes that are dressier, with the intent of using them on formal nights. Not sure which I'll use on our next long cruise.

I just wish it was the other way around. It's a lot easy to pack a 1 ounce tie than a 2 pound jacket.

That's what we usually do on long cruises - dress shirt and tie but no jacket, just to satisfy the "dressy" look on format nights. We've never been denied, and it frees up 5% of our luggage weight to bring home souvineers. :)

I do notice you have never been on a Celebrity cruise, there have been numerous recent posts that men are being turned away at the dining room without jackets.

I do notice you have never been on a Celebrity cruise, there have been numerous recent posts that men are being turned away at the dining room without jackets.

Actually I've been on one - a 13 night Asia cruise last year on Millennium. And we're booked on a 14 night Baltic cruise next year.

Admittedly, my experience with Celebrity has been limited so far. But we really didn't notice it to be much more "upscale" than RCCL. Maybe we were just lucky.

Actually I've been on one - a 13 night Asia cruise last year on Millennium. And we're booked on a 14 night Baltic cruise next year.

Admittedly, my experience with Celebrity has been limited so far. But we really didn't notice it to be much more "upscale" than RCCL. Maybe we were just lucky.

Fact is you will be taking the chance of not being allowed into the dining room, your choice Of course.

I was thinking about doing the same thing. I recently got a pair of black tennis shoes. I don't think anyone would even notice the difference, and it saves the trouble of packing a 2nd pair of shoes. It's the white ones or bright colors that are too conspicuous. Two birds, one stone.

But not long before that I found a pair of very lightweight (0.8 lbs) slip-on shoes that are dressier, with the intent of using them on formal nights. Not sure which I'll use on our next long cruise.

On Formal Nights I wear my black Mao suit with black slip on canvas Kung Fu shoes. White shirt without tie. No problems getting in MDR.

http://www.chineseclothingonline.com/product_info.php?pID=3912&model=MZSZ-WNS-2351-1&name=Modernised+Mao+Suit+with+Embroidery+Dragon+%28CM%29#.VSq9VHBHarU

image.jpg.f0af96cdde9b804f83216997f91b103a.jpg

Edited by Kingofcool1947

To be specific, two men who entered ahead of us on our last Celebrity Infinity cuise around the UK were asked to go back and add a jacket. I don't make it a habit of checking what others are wearing, except to admire some gorgeous womens outfits and knockout mens tux/suits, so I don't know the outcome.

So dkjretired is right, you are taking a chance. Up to you,

I haven't posted in a long while until this week, and I can't believe I'm joning the dress code threat.......I love to suffer!!

In truth, I was about to respond to a post by a new Celebrity cruiser who also mentioned what they'd like to wear so I came over here to check it out and aim them here instead of adding a 'proper dress' post to that thread which would then go viral and I assume get removed or moved to here. I'll suggeest they read the posts here.....but not all 850+!

Den

Edited by Denny01

To be specific, two men who entered ahead of us on our last Celebrity Infinity cuise around the UK were asked to go back and add a jacket. I don't make it a habit of checking what others are wearing, except to admire some gorgeous womens outfits and knockout mens tux/suits, so I don't know the outcome.

So dkjretired is right, you are taking a chance. Up to you,

I haven't posted in a long while until this week, and I can't believe I'm joning the dress code threat.......I love to suffer!!

In truth, I was about to respond to a post by a new Celebrity cruiser who also mentioned what they'd like to wear so I came over here to check it out and aim them here instead of adding a 'proper dress' post to that thread which would then go viral and I assume get removed or moved to here. I'll suggeest they read the posts here.....but not all 850+!

Den

Good to see you Denny.