Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Hi. We are relatively new cruisers and this will be our first time in Alaska. We are travelling on Celebrity Solstice in June. Can anyone please tell me what the dress code is for both formal and informal nights? I like the idea of "dressing up" but don't want to look out of place, thanks in advance for advice.

The dress codes for Alaska are the same as they are on any other cruise. The specifics can be found on the Celebrity website (or someone who has them handy may post them for you). I have found the dress to be a little less formal in Alaska than some other cruises, but as long as you are within the posted requirements you will be fine. My husband no longer wears his tux (as if it still fit:)) and now will wear a nice sport coat with shirt and tie on formal night. I wear black slacks and a dressy top or a black dress with sparkly jewelry. You will see a whole array of dress, from just barely meeting the dress code to the occasional woman in a long formal or man in a tux. On non-formal nights, dressy casual rules. Wear what you might wear to church or a nice Sunday brunch.

Useful to take a pretty wrap or two with you. They are not only useful on cooler days if they have a few sparkles on them your simple tops suddenly looks much more like formal wear......

Hi. We are relatively new cruisers and this will be our first time in Alaska. We are travelling on Celebrity Solstice in June. Can anyone please tell me what the dress code is for both formal and informal nights? I like the idea of "dressing up" but don't want to look out of place, thanks in advance for advice.

Lots of info in the sickie thread up top, here is the link;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2113872

Despite the fact that we live in Alaska we have done several Alaskan cruises. While I agree that the dress on Alaskan cruises tends to be more casual, it is true that on formal nights passengers in the MDR are expected to conform to the dress code. On the Infinity several years ago we did see a gentleman turned away from the MDR on a formal night due to the lack of a jacket.

...it is true that on formal nights passengers in the MDR are expected to conform to the dress code. On the Infinity several years ago we did see a gentleman turned away from the MDR on a formal night due to the lack of a jacket.

That's interesting, and seems to be inconsistent from ship to ship. We just returned from Solstice to Alaska and had Select Dining. On Formal Night, the first couple was already at our table when we sat down, and we had a lovely evening. It wasn't until we all stood up to leave that I saw she had shorts on. Yes, seriously... shorts. Granted, they were not denim or cotton but more of a women's dressy shorts, if you will (I'll probably get flamed saying "there are no dressy shorts"! LOL) but nonetheless, she wore shorts on Formal Night and was not turned away at the door.

And are many men wearing Tux? I'm more than happy to dress-up, but don't want DH to look like a fish out of water

Last year on my Alaska cruise you could just about count the Tuxes with your hands and feet. Way less than 10%.

Edited by dkjretired

On the April Silhouette TA , saw people in Tee shirt , and a lot men without ties on formal night

Time to can formal night

That's becoming more common. Celebrity doesn't enforce any dress codes as a result you see more tee shirts, sneakers, and sweat pants on Formal Nights. Just got off the Eclipse TA and there were as many tee shirts and shirts (no tie, no jacket) as there were coats and ties on formal nights. Guess it's all part of their campaign to attract younger cruisers.

And are many men wearing Tux? I'm more than happy to dress-up, but don't want DH to look like a fish out of water

My bride and I just did the Solstice last week in Alaska....(OMG what great weather)....sorry I digress....there were tuxes to be seen....I would guesstimate about 10%, but I was always complimented in my tux.

I love getting dressed up for cruises and that's why I choose Celebrity. I wish they would enforce the rules on formal nights. It bothers me to see men in golf shirts and ordinary pants on formal nights.

I share your love of getting dressed up, but based on the cruise on Eclipse (April 21 TA) the guys with Golf shirts and slacks were dressed up compared with those in Adias and Nike sweat suits nevermind those in Tee shirts and sandals on formal night.

I share your love of getting dressed up, but based on the cruise on Eclipse (April 21 TA) the guys with Golf shirts and slacks were dressed up compared with those in Adias and Nike sweat suits nevermind those in Tee shirts and sandals on formal night.

It makes me sad to hear that. They shouldn't be allowed in the dining room!

It makes me sad to hear that. They shouldn't be allowed in the dining room!

When I questioned a senior member of the crew I was told the policy from Miami was to never question a guest dress choice. I've seen a tweed jacket with no tie and deck shoes at the Captains table on Formal night and was told that wasn't a problem ( of course he was suites guest and we know they are special). Same guy had same jacket and a tee shirt the next formal night.

When I questioned a senior member of the crew I was told the policy from Miami was to never question a guest dress choice. I've seen a tweed jacket with no tie and deck shoes at the Captains table on Formal night and was told that wasn't a problem ( of course he was suites guest and we know they are special). Same guy had same jacket and a tee shirt the next formal night.

Why would it be a problem? He was conforming to the formal requirement of wearing a jacket. Not sure about the tee shirt though.

Edited by gek

Why would it be a problem? He was conforming to the formal requirement of wearing a jacket. Not sure about the tee shirt though.

This is the dress code per Celebrity's website.

"Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks.

I don't believe a tweed jacket can be defined as a Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket. I did note that after I raised the issue the invitation to the Captains Table I received told guests to where a tie.

My point is if you have a policy either enforce it or change it but don't leave it up to the individuals as that's why you get the tee shirts and sweat suits.

Hi all,

I've read a lot of pages of this thread and most posts are directed at the dress code (or lack of) on formal nights.

I always wear a tux, and enjoy doing so on a formal night, but on other nights would I be able to wear a short sleeve shirt with trousers? I really don't feel comfortable wearing long sleeve shirts, and therefore don't actually have many!!

we are sailing on Eclipse from Southampton to the Baltics

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated

Regards

Andy

Hi all,

I've read a lot of pages of this thread and most posts are directed at the dress code (or lack of) on formal nights.

I always wear a tux, and enjoy doing so on a formal night, but on other nights would I be able to wear a short sleeve shirt with trousers? I really don't feel comfortable wearing long sleeve shirts, and therefore don't actually have many!!

we are sailing on Eclipse from Southampton to the Baltics

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated

Regards

Andy

I can not remember the last time I wore a long sleve shirt on a non formal evening. You will be fine.

706551784_regnite1.jpg.0347c1ad09a37cb329d540a170f0458e.jpg

531866378_reg2.jpg.fa02377474305d3633b650394b6363f2.jpg