Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Question: Who told you that shorts weren't allowed? A fellow-passenger or a member of the wait staff?

The maitre d that sat us, as he brought us to the table he mentioned that shorts weren't allowed but still sat us down, my husband went and changed, didn't want to "rock the boat" lol:D

The maitre d that sat us, as he brought us to the table he mentioned that shorts weren't allowed but still sat us down, my husband went and changed, didn't want to "rock the boat" lol:D

Very interesting. Thanks for answering the question.

Question: Who told you that shorts weren't allowed? A fellow-passenger or a member of the wait staff?

Shorts are NOT allowed in the MDR during dinner. Only during breakfast & lunch. I hope we're not heading to the decline of sense of style & decent taste, that seems to be the state of Carnival & NCL lines.

That's probably a very good way to handle it rather than confront your DH.

Shorts are NOT allowed in the MDR during dinner. Only during breakfast & lunch. I hope we're not heading to the decline of sense of style & decent taste, that seems to be the state of Carnival & NCL lines.

Well even though the maitre D said no shorts in the dining room, the gentleman wearing the shorts was seated. Perhaps on the first night they allow you in because of the luggage issue. But nonetheless there is evidence that the dress code is being relaxed.

Well even though the maitre D said no shorts in the dining room, the gentleman wearing the shorts was seated. Perhaps on the first night they allow you in because of the luggage issue. But nonetheless there is evidence that the dress code is being relaxed.

My husband has been very politely turned away from the MDR because he was wearing shorts. They seated me and brought me a drink while I waited.

My husband often wears black jeans (straight legged and they look like trousers from far away) and a smart casual style long sleeved shirt (often a light linen one). Is this fine for smart/casual in the dining room? This look is his going out for a meal on holiday wear and naturally he wore it to dining rooms on Carnival. He does make an effort and will wear it with black boots or vans style trainers.

Hes got 2 jackets and trousers for formal nights.

Thanks

Edited by Velvetwater

My husband often wears black jeans (straight legged and they look like trousers from far away) and a smart casual style long sleeved shirt (often a light linen one). Is this fine for smart/casual in the dining room? This look is his going out for a meal on holiday wear and naturally he wore it to dining rooms on Carnival. He does make an effort and will wear it with black boots or vans style trainers.

Thanks

Black jeans and long-sleeved shirts are perfectly fine. Short sleeve shirts are OK too.

Thanks

I'm not personally a fan of jeans on board at night, but it does pass muster as far as smart casual goes. The 2 jackets & trousers should do him fine for formal nights. Even 1 jacket is fine, just mix & match ties & he's good to go.

Interesting to read these posts over the past months as we get ready to go on our 14 night Baltic Cruise with three other families. As I've posted before we embrace the dress code and look forward to the formal evenings. Our group of teens are all excited to 'dress up' and have had fun choosing outfits for the cruise. It is amazing what you can find these days in Dept Stores at reasonable prices for formal evenings. Bow ties included!

It's not just the older generation who wish to hold on to formal dress traditions. Many young ones look forward to it too.

It's really not that hard. Go formal or not, Celebrity has a place for everyone onboard to dine regardless of dress preferences. :)

However, As Billy Gibbons says "every girl's crazy about a sharp dressed man"

Hello, quick question on shirts for Blu (or MDR, or Speciality).

I noticed a while back that someone mentioned long sleeves.

Are short sleeved dress shirts a no no?

I understand that dress codes are a divisive subject, so I would appreciate observations rather than opinions if that doesn't sound too cheeky.

Thanks.

I only pack 2 long sleeve shirt's. One for the tux and one for the suit.

Every other shirt is short sleeve.

In Murano last Nov on the Equinox. And in 2013 on the Reflection

10497011_10205579622599415_181198257836943818_o.jpg.6391747819c3688db75df0cca304f54d.jpg

1622038_10203258982144854_973092719_n.jpg.d0e41bbdf8be3253db33df43d6471362.jpg

1546027_10203259081107328_2057562203_n.jpg.464749a72ed53a78768fbac73314ee5c.jpg

Edited by wallie5446

To answer the OP's actual question, I do not recall anyone wearing short-sleeved shirts in Luminae on Millennium but, then, it was not that warm and my husband was not comfortable just wearing [long] shirt-sleeves most evenings.

I have always worn short sleeve shirts in Blu and all other speciality restaurants. There are no requirements for long sleeves or coats in any of them. I only have two long sleeve dress shirts and they rarely leave the closet at home. I never have liked the feel of wearing long sleeves except when it is very cold.

Edited by sptrout

Hello, quick question on shirts for Blu (or MDR, or Speciality).

I noticed a while back that someone mentioned long sleeves.

Are short sleeved dress shirts a no no?

I understand that dress codes are a divisive subject, so I would appreciate observations rather than opinions if that doesn't sound too cheeky.

Thanks.

The dress code is so laxed. We are just off Summit from Bermuda. At the captains table on formal night one gentleman had a white formal tux, 2 gentleman had black dress suits, white long sleeve shirts, 1 gentleman had flashy multicolored shirt no tie and sport jacket and one gentleman had a sports coat long sleeved shirt with tie. So IMO Anything conservative is accepted.

On regular nights, I wear a short sleeved collared golfing style shirt. They fit in nicely and are comfortable. On formal nights, I wear a suit with either a long or short sleeve white shirt and tie.

However, in Blu, I have seen men wearing Hawaiian floral shirts. These shirts make it on regular nights but looks out of place on formal nights. They are still allowed in Blu on formal nights.

Edited by keesar