Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

I,m an elite cruiser and I never wear a jacket to formal night. People who tell you that are trying to advance there own adjenda. Your on vacation wear what you want and forget these "suggestions" they are just stating hat they want to see. Just remember to dress respectively. Oh yeah I only book suites. So I pay for my choices.

You pay for your suite, you don't pay to make your own rules. It doesn't matter if you pay $500 or $20,000 for your cruise, the dress code pertains to EVERYONE equally.

No one is trying to advance their own agenda, they are simply telling people that they need to follow the dress code rules that they agreed to when they made their reservation.

Since you only book suites, perhaps you should take advantage of your suite and eat in your suite for formal nights so you don't have to worry about following the rules.

Heck - you can wear your birthday suit on formal night in your own suite if you like.....LOL

:rolleyes:

For men, can they wear a turtleneck and jacket for formal night?

Yes, that's fine. Doesn't have to be a tie involved at all. Just a jacket, pants, and a top (shirt or sweater) with sleeves (long or short).

I,m an elite cruiser and I never wear a jacket to formal night. People who tell you that are trying to advance there own adjenda. Your on vacation wear what you want and forget these "suggestions" they are just stating hat they want to see. Just remember to dress respectively. Oh yeah I only book suites. So I pay for my choices.

Absolutely not true and I do not have an agenda. On my cruise two weeks ago they were handing out jackets and denying entry if you did not have one. This has gone on for years. Also, they are not suggestions if they can deny you entry. There are just too many people who have reported this over the years on these boards from their own observations for it to be an agenda by someone. I don't care what other people wear but people on this board deserve to be told the facts, last thing someone needs is to go to the dining room and be told they can't come in based upon someone's false comments on this board.

If you are in Luminae as a suite guest, Smart Casual is the standard dress code.

I read all the bumf on Celebrity Dress Code, as a first timer, DH had 13 under his belt, I love love Formal wear, It is all new to me, Wear what you want but don't sit next to me at a bar stating I'm overdressed as a smack in the teeth might offend

I believe I asked the question for tuxedo for the practical purposes in packing and for the information to remainder of the group that I am traveling with. Answers given here were objective enough for me to pass on the information and suggestions to my group.

I guess the big picture is that there were just 3 possible answers. 1. Yes.; 2. No.; 3. Optional. In other words, if there were a personal agenda, I am sure there were enough personal agendas here to form a consensus given this very long and well discussed thread.

I read all the bumf on Celebrity Dress Code, as a first timer, DH had 13 under his belt, I love love Formal wear, It is all new to me, Wear what you want but don't sit next to me at a bar stating I'm overdressed as a smack in the teeth might offend

you go girl!

just to be clear. If not eating dinner in either of above, can I wear casual? Shorts and flip flops at buffet or bq, etc.

On our last cruise on the Solstice we rarely ate in the MDR by choice might I add and ate most meals in the Oceanview Café. I regularly wore shorts and sandals in the evenings and to the shows as well. On one formal night we pushed the boundaries and went to the show in shorts and sandals. Did anyone make a comment - not to me, passenger or crew and I never even heard a tut tut. I can only assume that they were all too busy enjoying what they were doing and/or wearing what they preferred.

Too much is made of dress codes. If one wants to dress up like hoi paloi of the 1920's then go for it but me I will dress how I feel.

I think it would be a brave crew member to go up to a passenger and tell them they are dressed inappropriately. The repercussions on that crew member could be significant, thus they just keep their opinions to themselves and go about ensuring all the passengers are happy

Only once on a Celebrity cruise have I seen someone, on a formal night, outside the theater in shorts and tank tops - and people were staring at them. I'm not sure if they actually went into the theater or not as they didn't stick around.

I just can't understand why the drama of the dress code - it is published - it is sometimes enforced and others times not, why chance embarrassing yourself. They are plenty of places on X to eat that do not require formal - and plenty of lines that don't do formal at all. As adults we all have choices.

The vast majority of people on X adhere to the dress code and are very nicely dressed even on smart casual - just think country club. Shorts are never appropriate in any dining venue except for the buffet.

On our last cruise on the Solstice we rarely ate in the MDR by choice might I add and ate most meals in the Oceanview Café. I regularly wore shorts and sandals in the evenings and to the shows as well. On one formal night we pushed the boundaries and went to the show in shorts and sandals. Did anyone make a comment - not to me, passenger or crew and I never even heard a tut tut. I can only assume that they were all too busy enjoying what they were doing and/or wearing what they preferred.

Too much is made of dress codes. If one wants to dress up like hoi paloi of the 1920's then go for it but me I will dress how I feel.

I think it would be a brave crew member to go up to a passenger and tell them they are dressed inappropriately. The repercussions on that crew member could be significant, thus they just keep their opinions to themselves and go about ensuring all the passengers are happy

You are kidding correct about your last paragraph. It is done all the time, saw it done two weeks ago on Summit.

Hello, quick question on shirts for Blu (or MDR, or Speciality).

I noticed a while back that someone mentioned long sleeves.

Are short sleeved dress shirts a no no?

I understand that dress codes are a divisive subject, so I would appreciate observations rather than opinions if that doesn't sound too cheeky.

Thanks.

Shortsleeves are fine for smart casual. Even a nice polo shirt & khakis are fine,too. We sometimes wear a nice tie & shortsleeve shirt on casual nights as well.

On the first morning of my 2014 cruise on the Summit, I was getting off the elevator on my way to BLU and a gentleman and his SO were getting onto the elevator, complaining that they would not allow him into BLU for breakfast as he was wearing a tank top. Blu requires that gentlemen wear shirts with sleeves at all times, not just for dinner.

Other than that, I saw every type of shirt (except T-shirts) being worn for dinner in Blu, whether it was for formal night or any other night.

Also be aware that smart casual is the "required" dress for attending any presentations in the theatre as well, although I have seen the enforcement of this policy being "hit and miss".

Steve

As someone who is not fussed about Formal Night, but one who does follow the dress code and hopefully the spirit with which it is intended.....

If Celebrity choose to relax or stiffen those rules by exception or in general isn't that their decision - and if you don't like it (from either side of the argument) you should take it up with someone in authority.

Has a poll been done recently to see what people's views are on Formal Night. I guess we'd be arguing as long as we're going to argue in UK about the EU Referendum question before agreeing on the question,

1. Which nights are they?

2. What are our dining options if we choose not to go formal on one night?

3. How formal does MH need to be? He refuses to bring his tux or full suit. Will a sport jacket suffice? Does he need a tie?

1. Which nights are they?

Not 1st or last night. Normally a sea night, but not always.

2. What are our dining options if we choose not to go formal on one night?

Buffet, specialty restaurant, room service, early burger.

3. How formal does MH need to be? He refuses to bring his tux or full suit. Will a sport jacket suffice? Does he need a tie?

Jacket will do, tie is suggested.

Now just watch the fight begin.

Thank you for the quick answers.

We're looking to get away on a last minute, very relaxing cruise. We've had a very stressful 6 months at home. If anyone wants to argue that wearing a suit is "important," let them. We're not looking to be shleppy but we just want to relax and a tux is not relaxing to MH.