Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Some people respond with what they would like happen. You will not have a problem with nice pants and a dress shirt. This is a mass market cruise, have a great dinner and don't worry what some on here think. Most people in the MDR could care less

This is a mass market cruise line with a dress code

Remember that when someone says "I saw two guys without a jacket" it means that they stood out among the five hundred other guys in the dining room who were following the dress code

But did anyone really care? Don't think so, they were too busy enjoying their cruise rather than be bothered what someone was or wasn't wearing

I used to be a supporter of formal nights and used to bring a tux. Now, as I continue to see more and more people ignoring the dress code, I wish Celebrity would just drop the formal dress code all together. What good is such a requirement if it isn't uniformly enforced?

Celebrity, enforce it or get rid of it.

Edited by SantaFeFan

There may well be gentlemen who dine in the MDR on formal night without a jacket, but they are in the vast minority. I don't ever remember seeing anyone, but of course that is not an exhaustive sample! Anyway, a lot depends on how your DH would feel about it --- I know my DH would be uncomfortable if he felt like the only one. As you have already heard, there is no formal requirement in the buffet or Blu (if you happen to be in Aqua Class) or the specialty restaurants.

This is a mass market cruise line with a dress code

Remember that when someone says "I saw two guys without a jacket" it means that they stood out among the five hundred other guys in the dining room who were following the dress code

The guy lost his jacket on the way to the ship, give him a break.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

My DH takes his suit coat off as soon as he sits down as he feels too restrictive eating with it on (plus he's a "spiller"). It is hardly worth the extra room & weight it takes in our luggage just to cart it for maybe 10 minutes wear! So what difference does it make if you enter the dining room with one on or not. Many men do the same! As for wearing polos and sorts, that's an entirely different look!

I agree completely! Either enforce the dress code across the entire line, or get rid of it!

Unlikely to happen. Dress Code is an upsell opportunity for those who fantasize about what used to be, or want to be.

For the last three years on a number of different ships in Europe, Caribbean and Bermuda, I have seen no enforcement of formal dress codes in MDR. More and more men are without jackets.

I really believe they are ready to do away with formal nights completely and are only holding on to it in name only to not completely alienate the old timers, of which I am one.

Once they eliminated the requirement for formal dress throughout the entire ship in all public rooms on formal nights, that special ambience was lost. I'm ready for it to be gone completely. Walking around on formal nights one observes a great hodge podge of dress. There' son longer anything special. We tend to dress up every night and I don't care what others do.

For the last three years on a number of different ships in Europe, Caribbean and Bermuda, I have seen no enforcement of formal dress codes in MDR. More and more men are without jackets.

I really believe they are ready to do away with formal nights completely and are only holding on to it in name only to not completely alienate the old timers, of which I am one.

Once they eliminated the requirement for formal dress throughout the entire ship in all public rooms on formal nights, that special ambience was lost. I'm ready for it to be gone completely. Walking around on formal nights one observes a great hodge podge of dress. There' son longer anything special. We tend to dress up every night and I don't care what others do.

Don't envy the cruise line with this issue. Some people hate the dressing up some hate the ' decline in standards'.

I play a lot of golf in the UK and Clubs have the same issue. It used to be jacket and tie at all times but most have relaxed this somewhat. Still a lot of traditionalists get upset. The thing is that undoubtedly the rules were putting off people from joining but very few leave when they are relaxed.

Personally I Like the formal nights in the MDR . I also believe there is adequate choice for the non-formal types ( and I can fully understand why they don't want to get all dressed up) . It is only 2 nights on our 11 night cruise & 3 on the next 14 night cruise. If they choose not to enforce the formal it wouldnt worry me in the slightest.

I like dressing up three nights out of 14, as long as one of those days is not the same day that I take an all day shore tour. Sometimes Celebrity will schedule a formal night on a port day.

That is when we go to the buffet for Dinner.

I must say that I don't like the decline in standards. Grunge is cool now. Some Jeans are sold with holes or are torn up. Some think a T-shirt with a stupid comment on it is cool.

I like dressing up three nights out of 14, as long as one of those days is not the same day that I take an all day shore tour. Sometimes Celebrity will schedule a formal night on a port day.

That is when we go to the buffet for Dinner.

I must say that I don't like the decline in standards. Grunge is cool now. Some Jeans are sold with holes or are torn up. Some think a T-shirt with a stupid comment on it is cool.

Couldn't agree more! I wish they'd enforce the dress code.

Just jumping in to give our experience, my husband showed up for dinner on the summit on a casual night in a golf shirt and plaid shorts and was told shorts weren't allowed in the dining room. We were still seated but he went back to the room and put pants on and was back before the waiter came over.

We just got off the Millennium on our Alaskan cruise, and maybe Alaska is a little more casual just based on the fact that it is Alaska, but I was making sure to pay attention to the dress in the MDR, because this thread irritates the crap out of me....anyway, on the first formal night we saw 8 men in tux, on the second formal night we saw 2. On the first formal night most people were dressed up, on the second formal night, my husband was one of the very few who wore a jacket or tie....most men just wore button up shirts, no jacket and no tie, at our table only one man besides my husband had on a jacket, and I don't remember seeing anybody besides the 2 tuxes and my husband with a tie. Also, the women were in polyester or cotton pants and day blouses, there were very few dresses or dress up pants suits or tops. On the other nights, most men were in jeans and polo shirts, and most women were in either jeans or slacks, there were very few, if any dresses. One night we did see a gentleman show up in a pair of shorts and he was turned away.

Just jumping in to give our experience, my husband showed up for dinner on the summit on a casual night in a golf shirt and plaid shorts and was told shorts weren't allowed in the dining room. We were still seated but he went back to the room and put pants on and was back before the waiter came over.

Question: Who told you that shorts weren't allowed? A fellow-passenger or a member of the wait staff?

On an 11 night cruise, when are the formal nights generally?

Hi Jason

Usually it is the first and last sea days .

In our case the 2nd night (june 9th ) and the penultimate night ( June 17th)

cheers [emoji41]