Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

To be so combative about such a minor issue suggests that you simply enjoy debating the subject matter. :D

Indeed. Gergles appears to be a mass debater.

May I suggest to all that we stop feeding the troll. ;)

I also get smart casual as the dress code when I make my celebrity select dining reservations.i plan to print it out and show it if need be.

smart casual is the standard dress for the MDR apart from formal nights when it is formal dress - There are enough discussions already about that. In the buffet one can get away with shorts and sandals etc any night. The only time the dress codes are enforced are at evening meals in all restaurants apart from the buffet. If one wears the wrong dress to an evening meal one runs the risk of being turned away irrespective what the piece of paper may say. The difference between select dining and fixed dining is that on select one can dine at any time the MDR is open and on fixed dining one eats at the allocated time. Select offers no other priveleges other than that above. Happy dining

The only thing missing from this thread is the mention of one's accoutrements that go with attire. Namely, the amount of perfume/cologne one wears to any dining facility (on a cruise or to McDonald's or anywhere in between). Please do not bathe in your Estee Lauder or Grey Flannel (or any of the other pungent scents that try to pass themselves off as lovely and fragrant). I find that my dinner tastes so much better when my olfactory nerves are not being punished with Clinique Aromatics Elixir, Elizabeth Arden White Diamonds or Old Spice.

Let's be honest: this is a topic we can all agree on regardless of how we view dress codes on cruise ships. As the old commercial used to say, "a little dab'll do ya." Emphasis on the word "little."

Edited by jt1120

The only thing missing from this thread is the mention of one's accoutrements that go with attire. Namely, the amount of perfume/cologne one wears to any dining facility (on a cruise or to McDonald's or anywhere in between). Please do not bathe in your Estee Lauder or Grey Flannel (or any of the other pungent scents that try to pass themselves off as lovely and fragrant).

Our first cruise with a balcony, the woman next door used so much perfume we could spell it in out cabin. I noticed that when she applied it, her husband went out to the balcony. It was so bad, that we could tell if she was in the theater when we were.

I also get smart casual as the dress code when I make my celebrity select dining reservations.i plan to print it out and show it if need be.

Smart casual IS the dress code for the MDR for select OR traditional dining - EXCEPT on the formal nights, which is addressed separately on Celebrity's website.

Show the paper all you want - it's only valid on regular (smart casual) nights - NOT on FORMAL NIGHTS.

If you are so opposed to following the dress code, why not just cruise on a line that has no dress code and no formal nights?

NCL has "dress up or not" nights - so feel free to do smart casual EVERY night on there.

I'm actually planning to go to Murano on at least one of the two formal nights and if need be will eat in Bistro on Five or another specialty restaurant the other night.

If I am traveling in the Caribbean or out of New York the clothes are no problem. Going to Europe and traveling by train it becomes a different story.DH feels a jacket takes up too much space.

Again my point is Celebrity select reservations should not imply the dress code is smart casual for all nights if it is not.

I'm actually planning to go to Murano on at least one of the two formal nights and if need be will eat in Bistro on Five or another specialty restaurant the other night.

If I am traveling in the Caribbean or out of New York the clothes are no problem. Going to Europe and traveling by train it becomes a different story.DH feels a jacket takes up too much space.

Again my point is Celebrity select reservations should not imply the dress code is smart casual for all nights if it is not.

The reason it does that is the reservation system has no idea when formal nights are on a cruise. My understanding that is up to the Captain to decide. However normally it is the 2nd night and another sea day during the cruise but not the last night. Most of the time they are on sea days, however, on more port intensive cruises they will be on a port day. You can probably guess when by looking at the itinerary, but you won't know for sure until you board the ship.

As to the jacket why can't your DH wear it, rather than pack it? On the train if it's too warm he can put it in the overhead bin. That way it won't take any room in a suitcase.

Beanbag 41, My point is you cannot tell me I am wearing the wrong type clothes for a "formal" night if when I make my reservations it tells me smart casual is the correct dress.

Please show us anywhere it says that, there is not and never has been a different dress code for Select and Traditional dining in the MDR, NEVER...

Please show us anywhere it says that, there is not and never has been a different dress code for Select and Traditional dining in the MDR, NEVER...

I don't think that's what they are saying.

They are just saying that when they go online to make their reservations for select dining, it lists the dress code for the MDR as "smart casual".

It's true - it does list "smart casual" as the dress code when making reservations, because that IS the dress code at all times except formal nights.

That's simply addressed elsewhere on Celebrity's website :)

Your cruise contract and cruise documents spell out the fact that a particular number of nights will be formal nights, it's in the CONTRACTS that this is noted, that we all agree to and sign off on, even if none of us ever takes the time to read what we sign and agree to.

The code is also spelled out on the 1st day's celebrity today you receive as boarding and is in cabin, it's again advertised on the the particular day of the cruise in Celebrity Today.

But bottom line it is spelled out clearly in the contracts - which can not be modified by any other means than those contracts themselves and if agreed upon in writing by both parties.

Cle-guy, do you mind telling me where you see anything in the contract about dress? . I don't see it.

There's something in the contract which states you will follow the rules of the ship, doesn't say anything specific about dress, smoking or anything just that you agree to follow the rules. This is an old argument long ago discredited.

Your cruise contract and cruise documents spell out the fact that a particular number of nights will be formal nights, it's in the CONTRACTS that this is noted, that we all agree to and sign off on, even if none of us ever takes the time to read what we sign and agree to.

The code is also spelled out on the 1st day's celebrity today you receive as boarding and is in cabin, it's again advertised on the the particular day of the cruise in Celebrity Today.

But bottom line it is spelled out clearly in the contracts - which can not be modified by any other means than those contracts themselves and if agreed upon in writing by both parties.

Hmm, the above reminds me of Sheldon and his "room mate agreement"!;)

I'm confused when they say no "bare feet" in the MDR. Are they meaning someone with no shoes on? I can't see someone doing that, although they can't possibly mean "bare" as in no socks on, as with sandals, flip-flops etc. They specifically state no flip-flops in the evening which makes it sound like during the day is fine to show up in the restaurant with them on. The reason I ask is that if I'm wearing a sundress with sandals (yes, bare legs and feet) am I going to get in? It's a very strange policy. Again, no tank tops yet my sundresses are sleeveless so what is the difference between the two? I may not have anything to wear!! Or may be eating buffet the whole trip!!

?...It's a very strange policy. Again, no tank tops yet my sundresses are sleeveless so what is the difference between the two? I may not have anything to wear!! Or may be eating buffet the whole trip!!

Seriously?

Presumably, by your logic a man wearing a Donkey Jacket, Bomber jacket or even Straight Jacket meets the standard of wearing a jacket and should be able to wear it on Formal Night. Or that because some people choose to wear stylish leather boots in the MDR, what'a the difference between that and a pair of Wellington Boots ( Green ones of course)!

This absurdist view is why I suspect I see signs these days i wouldnt have seen twenty years ago "danger coffee is hot", "warning eating raw uncooked meat can be harmful to health"

Edited by DYKWIA

I'm confused when they say no "bare feet" in the MDR. Are they meaning someone with no shoes on? I can't see someone doing that, although they can't possibly mean "bare" as in no socks on, as with sandals, flip-flops etc. They specifically state no flip-flops in the evening which makes it sound like during the day is fine to show up in the restaurant with them on. The reason I ask is that if I'm wearing a sundress with sandals (yes, bare legs and feet) am I going to get in? It's a very strange policy. Again, no tank tops yet my sundresses are sleeveless so what is the difference between the two? I may not have anything to wear!! Or may be eating buffet the whole trip!!

No bare feet means no bare feet. You must wear something on your feet.

There is a big difference between tank tops and sleeveless tops. Google the two and you'll see the difference.

Edited by patty1955

Thank you for this.

It appears we have 3 formal nights on our next trip.

When we last sailed X-- we rented tuxedos for all of our guys--since it was the Christmas holidays etc. This time I think we will lean towards suits/jackets ties.

can anyone advise which evenings are the formal nights? I want to book some of the speciality restaurants but don't want to clash with the formal nights.

There is no hard and fast rule but

Not first [luggage may not be delivered in time]

or last night [luggage has to go out]

Normally [but not always] a sea day

Not two night is a row

So that will usually narrow it, but you can still be surprised I had one cruise where everyone was pretty much certain what night the 2nd would be, but we were wrong :(

There is no hard and fast rule but

Not first [luggage may not be delivered in time]

or last night [luggage has to go out]

Normally [but not always] a sea day

Not two night is a row

So that will usually narrow it, but you can still be surprised I had one cruise where everyone was pretty much certain what night the 2nd would be, but we were wrong :(

On 7 day cruises they try and do day 2 and day 6 but that is not a hard and fast rule. Also, many will say they do formals on sea days and this is not true. I have been on many cruises where the formal night is on port days.