What time?

ksc1984

Yea...it takes a while! Even the partial transit takes almost all day! You do NOT want to stay in one place, tho...the canal is best viewed from all sides of the ship, and different deck levels! It looks completely different from the lower decks than from up high!!

We were on the Volendam for her first transit through the canal. We were at the entrance early in the morning with the humidity hanging in the air like a mist. (We lost a video camera because of the humidity) It took hours to reach the first gate. Make sure you are on deck for that! It took the entire day to go through the entire canal ending with the ultimate.....going under the Bridge of The Americas. Wonderful cruise.

Do you have a lower level outside cabin? If so, I suggest viewing the process of going through one of the locks from your cabin window. It's pretty neat to go from the view of a rock wall changing as the ship rises or lowers to the next level. Different perspective.

5AM is often the generic time given for the start of your transit, doubtful it would start significantly earlier, but it could be a little after that time. Entering the Canal actually occurs in the direction you are traveling at the Cristobal Breakwater where you will receive the first pilot. The distance from this point to Gatun Locks is a little over 7 miles and normally takes an hour to an hour and a half. Best advice is don't use this day to get those 40 extra winks! Even if you are up on deck a little early there are things to see such as passing through the anchored ships as mentioned previously. The prime viewing spots do tend to get populated early as almost everyone would like the money shot of the first set of gates opening for you at Gatun. I have been up on deck before 4AM and while it was not crowded at that time, I wasn't alone by any means!!

We are sailing on the Zuiderdam on Oct. 27 for a partial transit of the canal. We will be in the canal on Nov. 3, the day after daylight saving time ends in the US.

Which timezone is Panama in, Eastern or Central?

Does the ship stay on Florida (Eastern) time or does it change to local time during the cruise?

I'm trying to figure out what time my body will think it is, if we enter the locks at 5 am, Panama time.