W Guarantee

I just noticed that the Independence is offering a "W" Guarantee for the suites at a decent price for our 8 day cruise in December. WE have never experienced upgrading to a "W" guarantee so this will be our first time.

We sent an email to our travel agent last night to let him know that we are interested in upgrading. I am pretty certain we will get a JS as there are 9 still available as well as a GS, OS, FS, RFS, PFS and RS. There is one obstructed cabin (JS) and I am crossing my fingers we don't get it. The reason why we are upgrading is because we didn't listen to everyone when they said once you do a suite you won't want to go back and I will just be recovering from back surgery (10/20/14) and will need the extra space in the event I need to use a wheel chair.

We didn't want to believe when we did the Brillance last week how shocked we were gonna be with our very small Balcony cabin with the navy shower. Reminded us both of when we were in the military.

We have never cruised in a JS before but in the past year we booked a GS, OS and RFS and it has definitely changed our belief that you can't go back to a Balcony once you've done the suites.

Does anyone know how long we will have to wait to find out what cabin we will be assigned? I hope we don't have to wait until the last minute as I will be biting my nails until we find out. Once, thanks again for all your advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Colorado Babe

I just noticed that the Independence is offering a "W" Guarantee for the suites at a decent price for our 8 day cruise in December. WE have never experienced upgrading to a "W" guarantee so this will be our first time.

We sent an email to our travel agent last night to let him know that we are interested in upgrading. I am pretty certain we will get a JS as there are 9 still available as well as a GS, OS, FS, RFS, PFS and RS. There is one obstructed cabin (JS) and I am crossing my fingers we don't get it. The reason why we are upgrading is because we didn't listen to everyone when they said once you do a suite you won't want to go back and I will just be recovering from back surgery (10/20/14) and will need the extra space in the event I need to use a wheel chair.

We didn't want to believe when we did the Brillance last week how shocked we were gonna be with our very small Balcony cabin with the navy shower. Reminded us both of when we were in the military.

We have never cruised in a JS before but in the past year we booked a GS, OS and RFS and it has definitely changed our belief that you can't go back to a Balcony once you've done the suites.

Does anyone know how long we will have to wait to find out what cabin we will be assigned? I hope we don't have to wait until the last minute as I will be biting my nails until we find out. Once, thanks again for all your advice. It is greatly appreciated.

I think the W guarantee is a good deal, if you don't have a preference for location. The company assigns the cabin anywhere from immediately until right before you board the ship, and there doesn't appear to be a rhyme or reason. I like the JS category, you have a tub/shower combo and a walk-in closet. And there is always a possibility of a higher category, but with that many JS available, maybe not. Good luck. :)

From what I understand (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong!), once they assign you a cabin, you can call and pick a different one within the same catagory if there are any available, so if you do happen to get the JS with the obstructed view, you can always check and see if a different one is available.

Good Luck!!

Yes I agree that 99.9% you'll get a JS, which you seem fine with. As has been posted, you could get the cabin w/in 24 hours (that's happened for me) to right up until it's almost time to sail. (I haven't had to wait that long) If you're assigned prior to boarding and there are JS's still available, I've had NO issues getting the cabin switched to another JS. I've read here about people that talked to people that knew people who said that they couldn't switch. I've never had any problem, even well after Final Payment.

Colorado Babe -

Please be aware that with a suite guarantee you can get ANY suite on the ship. It may not be in a convenient location for you. You mentioned in the original post that you recently had surgery. If walking longer distances might be an issue for you, then the guarantee is not a good choice. We find that we are given really out of the way locations ( far forward or far aft, but not true aft).

Often if another cabin is available in the assigned category, you MAY be able to switch to a more convenient location.

As for waiting - I booked a guarantee for a 12/28/14 cruise last week and got the assignment a few days later. Other times I've had to wait till a few days prior to departure.

Good luck

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Colorado Babe -

Please be aware that with a suite guarantee you can get ANY suite on the ship. It may not be in a convenient location for you. You mentioned in the original post that you recently had surgery. If walking longer distances might be an issue for you, then the guarantee is not a good choice. We find that we are given really out of the way locations ( far forward or far aft, but not true aft).

Often if another cabin is available in the assigned category, you MAY be able to switch to a more convenient location.

As for waiting - I booked a guarantee for a 12/28/14 cruise last week and got the assignment a few days later. Other times I've had to wait till a few days prior to departure.

Good luck

M

I am not worried at all about the location of the JS. I am in great shape and am already doing extremely well after 3 days post-op. :)

I have written down all the cabins that are open (JS) and there is only one cabin that I wouldn't want as it has an obstructed view. I am a pretty lucky person and I know that I'll be happy with whatever state room they give us. I will never do a navy shower again. :)

I am not worried at all about the location of the JS. I am in great shape and am already doing extremely well after 3 days post-op. :)

I have written down all the cabins that are open (JS) and there is only one cabin that I wouldn't want as it has an obstructed view. I am a pretty lucky person and I know that I'll be happy with whatever state room they give us. I will never do a navy shower again. :)

Glad you are doing well just after surgery. Your original post made mention of possibly needing a wheel chair, that is why I mentioned cabin location. Best wishes for continued improvement.

M

We successfully upgraded today and got assigned a cabin in the AFT. I left my TA with a request for another vacant cabin that is midship. Hoping we can change to it, if not no big deal.

When we went to upgrade to the W guarantee RC stated a price. We excepted it but when it was all said and done, it cost us $500 to upgrade from a D2-JS. Still hoping to move up to the OS if they lower the price.

Since my surgery went extremely well, I don't see any reason why I would need a wheel chair now. I've been walking all over and climbing the stairs with no problem so we should be good in another 6 weeks.

I originally booked an aft facing D1 category balcony cabin for our upcoming cruise on Mariner but changed to a W guarantee. Within 24 hours we were allocated a connecting JS right at the front of the ship. Earlier this year we did a back-to-back cruise on Mariner and were quickly allocated a great midship JS on deck 10 so really disappointed this time about location and connecting cabin. Sadly as we are in the UK we can't ask to change to another available JS so stuck with it. With only 11 days to go I keep checking the booking to see if we have been upgraded, as a Diamond Plus member I am always hopeful but reading other posts C & A upgrades are very rare these days :(

I originally booked an aft facing D1 category balcony cabin for our upcoming cruise on Mariner but changed to a W guarantee. Within 24 hours we were allocated a connecting JS right at the front of the ship. Earlier this year we did a back-to-back cruise on Mariner and were quickly allocated a great midship JS on deck 10 so really disappointed this time about location and connecting cabin. Sadly as we are in the UK we can't ask to change to another available JS so stuck with it. With only 11 days to go I keep checking the booking to see if we have been upgraded, as a Diamond Plus member I am always hopeful but reading other posts C & A upgrades are very rare these days :(

Is there another JS you would prefer? If so, you can ask, there is no reason why not. Speak to someone in the C&A department. I have close friends in the UK who did this for their upcoming cruise and they were moved to another cabin in the same category without any problem at all. I know sometimes things can be tough for you guys in the UK getting price drops etc but this CAN be done.

Is there another JS you would prefer? If so, you can ask, there is no reason why not. Speak to someone in the C&A department. I have close friends in the UK who did this for their upcoming cruise and they were moved to another cabin in the same category without any problem at all. I know sometimes things can be tough for you guys in the UK getting price drops etc but this CAN be done.

Thanks for the suggestion, I emailed C & A to ask because at the time there were about 16 JS which were midship or aft and not connecting but the response was that our booking conditions in the UK are different and 'guarantee' wouldn't be a guarantee if I was able to choose a cabin. Clearly the word guarantee has a different meaning here. There is little point phoning them because when I have called before we still get some hapless/hopeless person in Guatemala even though it is a UK number. It just seems that it depends on who you speak to as to whether you can or can't do something these days, it even took me a long time to convince the call centre agent that the 'W' category was a suite category and not a balcony category!

With 22 cruises behind me I obviously do like RCI and I don't like to appear negative but I am feeling dissolusioned and tired of the decline in service for UK guests and C & A members, just waiting for Diamond Plus members to be chucked out of the concierge lounge now.

Thanks for the suggestion, I emailed C & A to ask because at the time there were about 16 JS which were midship or aft and not connecting but the response was that our booking conditions in the UK are different and 'guarantee' wouldn't be a guarantee if I was able to choose a cabin. Clearly the word guarantee has a different meaning here. There is little point phoning them because when I have called before we still get some hapless/hopeless person in Guatemala even though it is a UK number. It just seems that it depends on who you speak to as to whether you can or can't do something these days, it even took me a long time to convince the call centre agent that the 'W' category was a suite category and not a balcony category!

With 22 cruises behind me I obviously do like RCI and I don't like to appear negative but I am feeling dissolusioned and tired of the decline in service for UK guests and C & A members, just waiting for Diamond Plus members to be chucked out of the concierge lounge now.

That is disappointing and I can well understand why you feel the way you do. I am sure that if remain persistent someone will be able to help you. You are guaranteed a minimum grade of cabin, if you want to change within the same grade you are assigned, that is different. If you were asking for a GS instead of a JS, I could understand them saying no!

With numerous friends in the UK, I hear the same thing time and time again and the difference in service. I understand partly towards price protection and laws but things like changing a cabin should have the same rules anywhere. That being said, if I have to call, which I try to avoid, I can ask the same question 5 different time and receive 5 different answers.

Stick at it, I hope you get a positive result.

Penton - I am sorry that RC won't let you switch cabins. Yesterday we upgraded from a D2 stateroom to a "W" guarantee. There were about 9 JS available so I was certain we would get a JS and we did. I didn't like the location as it was in front of the boat and not portside. I talked to my TA and we were able to change our JS to the middle of the ship and portside which is the only way we go. Was even surprised that RC lowered the price quoted for the upgrade by $400. I'm not sure why but I know a few people who had the same thing happen.

Penton -- get a US travel agent. If you live in the UK you're not supposed to book through a US agent, but a good one knows how to get around all that.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I have booked through US travel agents but more recently have booked direct with Royal Caribbean believing that I have more control over my booking. I have benefitted from some price drops and options to upgrade through watching prices. Now that all UK communications have to go through Guatemala perhaps I will revert to booking through a US agent, at least I know that customer service agents will be helpful and efficient. With only 10 days to go until we board Mariner in Shanghai my only hope of changing cabins is to ask at the pier, suites are showing as sold out but I understand that they do not always show all inventory.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a W for my cruise back in Sept. I was assigned a port side Grand Suite, so I called and asked for starboard and was given the same room, exactly on the opposite side of the ship; 8012 to 8512. Maybe you shouldn't be so specific.