Family card games

MaiTaiMary

Sushi Go, Slamwich (similar to war,) Zombie Dice, Get Bit, Spot It, Munchkin. All are fun and take up a small amount of space. Can you tell we like to play games? All of these plus a couple of others that take up more space will go with us on our next cruise..... There's nothing more fun to my family then finding a cozy place with a view to play a board game!

Many card games can be played with a regular deck of cards or two.

Go Fish

Skip Bo

Uno is basically Crazy 8's

Concentration (matching game) could need to match four cards instead of two.

House of Cards-- Jenga in reverse.

ie Phase 10, using two decks

cards 2- King

Ace's are wild

Jokers are skips.

War is fun, especially if everyone has their own deck.

I learnt 21 and Poker when younger than your children. Yahtzee is basically poker dice.

Edited by SadieN

We have lots of card games. Some of our favs that haven't been mentioned are :

Dutch Blitz ( doesn't look like much but is much loved and fun)

(not cards but same size) Rories Story cubes (dice), Pass the Pigs

Also, we take the cards from our fav games and play them while traveling. Some examples include Would You Rather , Quiz America, and other games that ask the players thought provoking questions

• 4 weeks later...

Amazon sells a Monopoly card game that can be played in about 15 minutes, we also bought several travel games that all fit in a one gallon zip lock bag. Monopoly Card Game, Travel Clue, Uno, Travel Connect 4 and a travel crib board and pack of cards all fit in the zip lock bag and provided muti-generational fun!

I kinda scrolled and didn't see this mentioned (sorry if it was), but the ships usually have a card/game room on them. They usually have a few selections of several different boards games as well. We usually play Yahtzee and Candyland and things like that with our 7 year old. The ships usually give you decks are cards free (Carnival) at the customer service desk. :D

I kinda scrolled and didn't see this mentioned (sorry if it was), but the ships usually have a card/game room on them. They usually have a few selections of several different boards games as well. We usually play Yahtzee and Candyland and things like that with our 7 year old. The ships usually give you decks are cards free (Carnival) at the customer service desk. :D

They do have the games on board but I've consistently found missing parts. Hard to play Scrabble if 10 letters are missing. We just bring our own.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We are bringing a new shopkins card game. Also some play doh. We have races to see who can make something the best. They think it's amazing. Easy to play and clean up while your waiting for each course at dinner to be served so they don't get bored. My girls are 6 and 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We like Citadels, It is a social building game that can be played with 2 to 7 players. A little bit like Settlers of Catan without all of the moving pieces.

We also have packed "Love Letter" and "Starwars forsale" that the kids both like.

(We are leaving tomorrow for our 7 day cruise out of Baltimore. It's -15C now, so it will be nice to get a little warmer)

I have a hard trouble pretending to like Old Maid and Go Fish anymore so I have brought other games that they will like. Table top billiards and ice hockey. We aren't flying so can take an extra suitcase and it doesn't matter how many so I'm bringing them for our balcony enjoyment.

What a great thread!

Skip Bo is great - it takes a little longer, but is a good mix of luck and strategy.

Uno continues to be our 'waiting for dinner' standby.

Heads Up on the iphone is great when you are waiting in lines.

I like the idea of knowing how to turn regular cards into other games - going to go look that up!

Some games like Slamwich or Wig Out are a bit one-dimensional so get old quickly.

Wikkistix are great while waiting for meals too - not as messy as play doh, but almost as much fun.

Another vote for Love Letter (there's a Batman version too). Our 8 yo daughter could play it at 6 but still likes it. Adults in our game playing group like it too.

Other good games:

Aquarius (good for up to 5 players, VERY easy to pick up but still fun)

Saboteur (good for up to 10 players...but you need to find a bigger table to play on...we've pulled several bar tables together or played in the buffet between meals)

Mille Bournes

Guillotine

Hanabi (cooperative)

I've just ordered Exploding Kittens, both the kid safe version and the NSFW version for us grown ups. Thanks to everyone who recommended it!

We're amassing a decent collection of small-space games as we like to take them travelling. Bananagrams, Monopoly Deal, Spot It (first called Dobble in Australia for some reason) and Greed are firm favourites of our 7 and 10 year old daughters. I'm adding Exploding Kittens, Sushi Go and Roll for It in the next few months.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Our family really likes Rory's Story Cubes- all ages can play (it's amazing what my 4 year olds come up with). Basically they dice sets with different pictures on them (they come in themed sets, including a travel one, and you can mix and match them as well). There are several different ways you can play with them but our favorites are roll the dice on your turn and make a story up using as many of your dice as possible, or each person rolls one die and adds a line to a story until everyone has a turn. It has been great for helping my 8 year old with creative writing and thinking and is a lot of fun for all of us- plus it hardly takes any room at all!