New Dress Code

Daneite

I'm so glad I checked out this thread. I'd heard that Seabourn had relaxed its dress codes, which sounded attractive to me. But from what I'm reading here, the de facto codes are still way too formal for us.

Gee, I wonder whether I still fit into the, "newly-older"? Have *never* been formal, my entire life,not since the high school prom.

Ick. This is exactly the attitude that will keep me off Seabourn. And I'm sure that makes you happy, although I assure you, I never look scruffy.

I am so pleased you have made decision to never sail Seabourn as it is obviously the best decision for yourself and your comfort levels.

Maybe in 1979 dressing smartly may snag you an upgrade but in 2014 it is based on $$$ spend and elite priority. Gate and ticket agents can't just upgrade someone based on how they are dressed. The computer knows if the economy cabin is oversold and based on the algorithm it spits out new boarding passes to balance the oversell situation in the economy cabin.

I wonder if it depends on the airline?

When we flew Emirates out of Rome we were dressed smartly and ourselves and a few other similarly dressed passengers were upgraded to business. When we flew on Virgin Australia out of LAX we offered to pay just prior to our flight for an upgrade but they couldn't do it. When we got on board they reassigned some of their high frequency fliers to Business.

Sad thing is that taste of Business on Emirates has spoiled us now with all our future flights :eek::o. Makes budgeting for holidays that much harder.

Julie

We will be sailing with Seabourn (first time) in 2016 and I really don't understand the debate of dress code. We dress nicely in England (and I am sure anyone else would in other parts of the world) when we go out for dinner, we dress nicely on Holland America (which we sailed with so far), it does not make a difference to us if we sail with HAL or Seabourn. Tie or no tie, quite often it depends on one's manners or the way they carry themselves. I am not saying if someone turns up in a baseball cap that this would be acceptable (just in case someone comes up with this scenario) but if Seabourn relaxed the dress code then it should be accepted by the "seasoned" Seabourn cruisers whether they "agree with it or not" or whether they still dress the same way like they did 10 years ago or not (I have got no problems seeing someone in a tux or in a nice jacket without a tie). Someone said the discussion put them off sailing with Seabourn as it all seemed too snobbish which I agree with (reading some of the comments on here) but it is actually rather sad. But people who are "frequent contributors" on certain boards here are not the majority of cruisers behaviours or opinions. People on cruise ships are much nicer in "real life" and not bothered by minor issues which are being somewhat blown out of proportion on here at times. If you have 450 people on a ship, 1 or 2 people with one opinion do not represent the opinion of 448 people. ;)

P.S. Please excuse my English or grammar as English is not my mother tongue.

We will be sailing with Seabourn (first time) in 2016 and I really don't understand the debate of dress code. We dress nicely in England (and I am sure anyone else would in other parts of the world) when we go out for dinner, we dress nicely on Holland America (which we sailed with so far), it does not make a difference to us if we sail with HAL or Seabourn. Tie or no tie, quite often it depends on one's manners or the way they carry themselves. I am not saying if someone turns up in a baseball cap that this would be acceptable (just in case someone comes up with this scenario) but if Seabourn relaxed the dress code then it should be accepted by the "seasoned" Seabourn cruisers whether they "agree with it or not" or whether they still dress the same way like they did 10 years ago or not (I have got no problems seeing someone in a tux or in a nice jacket without a tie). Someone said the discussion put them off sailing with Seabourn as it all seemed too snobbish which I agree with (reading some of the comments on here) but it is actually rather sad. But people who are "frequent contributors" on certain boards here are not the majority of cruisers behaviours or opinions. People on cruise ships are much nicer in "real life" and not bothered by minor issues which are being somewhat blown out of proportion on here at times. If you have 450 people on a ship, 1 or 2 people with one opinion do not represent the opinion of 448 people. ;)

P.S. Please excuse my English or grammar as English is not my mother tongue.

You are absolutely right.

I apologise I shouldn't have allowed myself to get defensive and personal.

I hope you enjoy your cruise. Your English and grammar is very good.......better then mine I think. :o

I wonder if it depends on the airline?

When we flew Emirates out of Rome we were dressed smartly and ourselves and a few other similarly dressed passengers were upgraded to business. When we flew on Virgin Australia out of LAX we offered to pay just prior to our flight for an upgrade but they couldn't do it. When we got on board they reassigned some of their high frequency fliers to Business.

Sad thing is that taste of Business on Emirates has spoiled us now with all our future flights :eek::o. Makes budgeting for holidays that much harder.

Julie

On US flagged carrier you will not see this. As a United Airlines Million Miler and 100K flyer there have been plenty of international flights that I have been on in Business where the economy cabin is packed to the gills and they have never just brought up persons because they were smartly dressed. I also been on the receiving end of the frequent flyer upgrade. The economy cabin was oversold so I got the coveted "OpUp" aka Operational Upgrade where this casually dressed gal got the upgrade as a bunch of old folks seethed between their teeth as I swam upstream in the aisle to claim my nice big seat in the front. Also you have no idea why you were upgraded on your Emirates flight. Emirates prides itself on being a top notch airline and does not generally upgrade persons just because they are smartly dressed. There is no reason to crowd a premium cabin unless of course the economy cabin is oversold as it requires a higher degree of personnel in the premium cabin to support those passengers.

Your right economy was oversold and they had to fit us in somewhere. I guess the dressing bit is just another one of those urban myths.

I hope you are going to blog about your next trip? I have found your blogs interesting and hope to do the same trip next year. So it would be good to see what you do in the different ports...........especially Borobudur.

Edited by frantic36

I need a cheat sheet to tell me that X username "here" is Y username "there".

I've figured out a couple of them through deductive reasoning.

I was at BAcon 2.0 in Vegas last month and was having those kinds of "flashes" left and right as I was matching bloggers with "real names" with handles. Realized I was FB friends with several people I had not connected to their blogs - or handles.

Edited by jenidallas

Your right economy was oversold and they had to fit us in somewhere. I guess the dressing bit is just another one of those urban myths.

I hope you are going to blog about your next trip? I have found your blogs interesting and hope to do the same trip next year. So it would be good to see what you do in the different ports...........especially Borobudur.

I'm not sure about nolatravelgirl's trip report plans, but I'm definitely planning a series on my blog. And Borobudur will definitely get covered - have a private overnight planned as I didn't think the ship's same day tour would do it justice.

I'm not sure about nolatravelgirl's trip report plans, but I'm definitely planning a series on my blog. And Borobudur will definitely get covered - have a private overnight planned as I didn't think the ship's same day tour would do it justice.

Thanks for this. I knew one of you did a blog and totally agree about a one day tour not being enough. I have been wanting to revisit as I went there 25 years ago with a friend........we caught the overnight sleeper train from Jakarta.....it was a magical experience to visit the temple as the sun was setting. I could imagine it would be just as amazing in the early morning light.

To stay on topic, I am kicking myself for breaking my rule about not commentating on dress code threads. The post never comes across right.:o

Wendy has her cruise history included with her posts. Great detective work, Sherlock.

I do not see anyone's cruise history as I use the app

All it does is clutter the boards,elementary my dear Watson.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Mr Luxury

I agree with Roxburgh.

Although Seabourn is our favourite line we have cruised a few times with Regent and one of the few things we prefer is their dress code which does not require a gentleman to wear a jacket in the restaurant. Having said that many still choose to do so which is fine but I have rarely seen anybody looking scruffy in the restaurant.

My husband wears a very smart long sleeved shirt as he finds the restaurant a little warm if wearing a jacket as well. It is perhaps a little inconsiderate for ladies to expect the gentlemen to wear jackets when they themselves may well just wear a light sleeveless dress.

We were on the Spirit last month, just before the dress code changed, and we found it quite amusing to see non jacketed gentlemen being ushered to their tables followed by the restaurant manager carrying a jacket from his store which he ceremoniously placed over the back of their chair.

We love Seabourn and would hate to think that new cruisers would be put off because of the stuffy attitude of a few posters on this board. We are very happy with the change of dress code although we won't be offended if some people prefer to keep their jackets, ties and formal attire!

If you look at all of the luxury lines you will see that they are really very similar in their suggestion of a dress code.

It cannot be long before a new guest can sail on any luxury line without worrying themselves silly what they need to pack and if they will fit in with the rest of the guests.

It really is a simple subject that is made difficult by a few.

Some like to dress up and some like to dress down.

Hopefully all will have a pleasant time whatever they wear on board.

Sorry, I guess it's not obvious from my signature. Regent, mostly. Paul Gauguin, multiple times. Oceania once.

I'm not picking at anyone. Just sounded like others were, about dress.

Thanks for replying Wendy.

You only get dress code issues on a forum and not really once you are on the ship.

The dress codes are so dumbed down these days and most people look well dressed on a Seabourn ship.

Although you do notice when people have taken a real effort to dress well.

Thanks for replying Wendy.

You only get dress code issues on a forum and not really once you are on the ship.

The dress codes are so dumbed down these days and most people look well dressed on a Seabourn ship.

Although you do notice when people have taken a real effort to dress well.

Thanks, that's reassuring. I do make an effort, at least on a cruise ship. I just prefer to be "elegant casual".

Thanks, that's reassuring. I do make an effort, at least on a cruise ship. I just prefer to be "elegant casual".

You'll surely be fine. My rules of thumb for Seabourn are this - conservative (ie nothing wildly colored or patterned or too revealing), appropriate (would I wear it on a nice date or to dinner with a new boyfriend's parents), and within the guidelines (which for a female are much easier to follow).

The problem you get with dress codes is that there are always a handful of people who believe that their individual comfort trumps everyone else's.

The sad part of these regularly recurring dress code threads is that they turn potential Seabourn cruisers off the line because they make it seem like it will be a constant parade of haute couture and snobbery. Nothing could be further from the truth - but a small contingent seems to worry about everyone around them spoiling their private yacht experience.

You'll surely be fine. ... Nothing could be further from the truth - but a small contingent seems to worry about everyone around them spoiling their private yacht experience.

Exactly! Thanks for the reassurance. Not sure I'll actually sail Seabourn, but I'm done with Regent, at least for now.

Sorry, I guess it's not obvious from my signature. Regent, mostly. Paul Gauguin, multiple times. Oceania once.

It's worth bearing in mind that not everyone can see your signature. There's an option to have sigs switched off so they're not visible.

Gee, I wonder whether I still fit into the, "newly-older"? Have *never* been formal, my entire life,not since the high school prom.

i think perhaps you would not like the Seabourn style (of dress) as the Seabourn clientele -- no matter the age - do like to dress, although perhaps for some or even many, not as over the top as they / we once did. That means that for men, while tuxes might not be as prevalent, suits and ties are, or at least jackets and shirts sans ties, and for women little black dresses now outnumber gowns.

Edited by Pop-I