New Dress Code

Daneite

Don't let all of these dress code opinions scare you. Always keep in mind less than 5% of Seabourn passengers frequent these boards. The real appeal of Seabourn has nothing to do with the dress code (no matter what side of it you may be on) but instead the lack of pretence on board and the great people you meet. Actions will always carry a louder message than dress.

...perhaps you would not like the Seabourn style (of dress) as the Seabourn clientele -- no matter the age - do like to dress, although perhaps for some or even many, not as over the top as they / we once did. That means that for men, while tuxes might not be as prevalent, suits and ties are, or at least jackets and shirts sans ties, and for women little black dresses now outnumber gowns.

I've met Seabourn regulars on Regent cruises and liked them very much. But frankly, I don't own a little black dress, let alone a gown. But if I see an itinerary I like, I'll book it, and try to persuade my husband to haul his suit along.

We will be sailing with Seabourn (first time) in 2016 and I really don't understand the debate of dress code. We dress nicely in England (and I am sure anyone else would in other parts of the world) when we go out for dinner, we dress nicely on Holland America (which we sailed with so far), it does not make a difference to us if we sail with HAL or Seabourn. Tie or no tie, quite often it depends on one's manners or the way they carry themselves. I am not saying if someone turns up in a baseball cap that this would be acceptable (just in case someone comes up with this scenario) but if Seabourn relaxed the dress code then it should be accepted by the "seasoned" Seabourn cruisers whether they "agree with it or not" or whether they still dress the same way like they did 10 years ago or not (I have got no problems seeing someone in a tux or in a nice jacket without a tie). Someone said the discussion put them off sailing with Seabourn as it all seemed too snobbish which I agree with (reading some of the comments on here) but it is actually rather sad. But people who are "frequent contributors" on certain boards here are not the majority of cruisers behaviours or opinions. People on cruise ships are much nicer in "real life" and not bothered by minor issues which are being somewhat blown out of proportion on here at times. If you have 450 people on a ship, 1 or 2 people with one opinion do not represent the opinion of 448 people. ;)

P.S. Please excuse my English or grammar as English is not my mother tongue.

We are also doing our first cruise on SB in 2016 (could be the same one as you?!) and whilst I agree with your post, I also have to say I love to see my husband in a DJ (tux to anyone in the US!) and I really like dressing up. Not dressing up over the top, just nice dress, evening high heels, evening bag etc because my husband doesn't get a chance to wear his DJ that often and to me, to have 2 weeks of making an effort will be great.

I don't 'do' long dresses, much prefer how I look in cocktail type dresses (as my legs are my best feature!) and I have to say threads like this make me rather nervous! I just hope we don't get judged on our appearance when we have made the effort! I don't think so because I am happy with the way I look, I'm just a bit apprehensive as this will be our first cruise even if it is ages away. (It's a surprise for him which I am telling him about next month on a big birthday, he will be over the moon I think, he's been trying to get me on a cruise for ages!)

Just as an aside, I presume a man can take his jacket off on the Main Restaurant?

We are also doing our first cruise on SB in 2016 (could be the same one as you?!) and whilst I agree with your post, I also have to say I love to see my husband in a DJ (tux to anyone in the US!) and I really like dressing up. Not dressing up over the top, just nice dress, evening high heels, evening bag etc because my husband doesn't get a chance to wear his DJ that often and to me, to have 2 weeks of making an effort will be great.

I don't 'do' long dresses, much prefer how I look in cocktail type dresses (as my legs are my best feature!) and I have to say threads like this make me rather nervous! I just hope we don't get judged on our appearance when we have made the effort! I don't think so because I am happy with the way I look, I'm just a bit apprehensive as this will be our first cruise even if it is ages away. (It's a surprise for him which I am telling him about next month on a big birthday, he will be over the moon I think, he's been trying to get me on a cruise for ages!)

Just as an aside, I presume a man can take his jacket off on the Main Restaurant?

We are on the Singapore to Hong Kong cruise in January 2016. :)

I will just dismantle the wardrobe at home and bring it onboard. Pretty sure there will be something "suitable" to wear then. ;) At the end of the day everyone wants to relax, have a good time and unless I get an invite to an Haute Couture event in Paris, I refuse to panic. :D

And what a lovely surprise for your husband!! He will be so thrilled. :D

A gentleman wouldn't.

Anyway it is jolly cold.

Tony

I never take my jacket off,there is no need with the air conditioning in the restaurant.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A gentleman wouldn't.

Anyway it is jolly cold.

Tony

Crumbs! Very formal then! (and I hope it isn't toooo cold!)

We are on the Singapore to Hong Kong cruise in January 2016. :)

I will just dismantle the wardrobe at home and bring it onboard. Pretty sure there will be something "suitable" to wear then. ;) At the end of the day everyone wants to relax, have a good time and unless I get an invite to an Haute Couture event in Paris, I refuse to panic. :D

And what a lovely surprise for your husband!! He will be so thrilled. :D

Ahhh right ok, we are the February one from Singapore.

It's been a tad difficult to keep this secret but luckily I can spill the beans soon. My youngest daughter was with him at a Literary Festival a couple of weeks ago - there were some Stands selling things there and one was for cruises. (she is in on the secret). She couldn't resist saying 'come and look at this, Dad, it might be of interest'.

He says 'no, no point, your mother won't go on a cruise with me'. :D Little does he know!

Edited by Mauzac

Cocktail dresses are fine for formal night. I've worn a black cocktail dress on most of my Seabourn sailings and been within the range of what others are wearing.

Thank you. That's reassuring. I'll just keep on with 'Plan A' then!

I'm really tired of reading what a gentleman would do. A gentleman is kind, considerate of other peoples' feelings, well mannered and polite. If he's wearing casual clothes while acting as above it makes no difference.

Spot on !!!

I have met a good deal of interesting people on cruises but can not for the life of me remember what they were were wearing.

I'm really tired of reading what a gentleman would do. A gentleman is kind, considerate of other peoples' feelings, well mannered and polite. If he's wearing casual clothes while acting as above it makes no difference.

Well said!!

Spot on !!!

I have met a good deal of interesting people on cruises but can not for the life of me remember what they were were wearing.

“Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman.”

― Coco Chanel

Edited by Laylam

I also have to say I love to see my husband in a DJ (tux to anyone in the US!) and I really like dressing up. Not dressing up over the top, just nice dress, evening high heels, evening bag etc because my husband doesn't get a chance to wear his DJ that often and to me, to have 2 weeks of making an effort will be great.

I could have written most of this !

My husband looks extremely handsome in his dinner jacket and I love to see him wearing it. Fortunately, he enjoys wearing it.

I very much like dressing for special evenings. I don't do long gowns either, for the same reason as you :) I don't wear an actual LBD, because I don't suit black. I wear a cocktail dress in a colour that does suit me, very dressy heels and a nice little evening bag. It's also an opportunity to wear some jewellery that I don't get to wear very often ;)

There's no need to be nervous.

Our first cruise was on Silversea a few years ago. Before the cruise I read some posts here on CC that made me think it was going to be very over the top formal and I became very concerned and anxious about how we would fit in.

There was no need to worry, it wasn't like that at all. We fitted in just fine and we fit in even better on Seabourn.:D

If you follow the dress code, nobody is going to judge you on your appearance.

If there was an icon for LIKE, I would LIKE your comment.

I've met Seabourn regulars on Regent cruises and liked them very much. But frankly, I don't own a little black dress, let alone a gown. But if I see an itinerary I like, I'll book it, and try to persuade my husband to haul his suit along.

Wendy, Hope you will try Seabourn. And the best part is your husband will not need to drag out his suit if that is not his thing!

We have sailed many cruise lines over the last 30 years (including most mass market ones, Silver Seas and Regent). Seabourn is our all time favorite! We go with them any time they have an itinerary we like. I agree with you, we will probably not sail Regent again..for several reasons. But do have several Seabourn cruises planned.

I am glad that Seabourn has relaxed their dress code to fewer times when a man needs a jacket, my husband definitely likes that change. Most everyone has always looked very nice every night in the MDR, but on our over 70 days on Seabourn (TA, Med and Asia cruises) it has never been as dressy as some here imply even before the dress code change. The best thing on the ship is there is none of the snootiness over dress that one finds on these threads. Most everyone just dresses nicely and in what they like wearing when eating in a nice place.

I don't own a LBD either, nor for that matter, any cocktail dresses and I am too old for sundresses. My husband stopped wearing suits when he retired and doesn't own a Tux anymore. We eat in the MDR almost every night, I wear nice skirts or slacks and silk tops. DH wears a sports coat (he only brings one), button shirt and slacks plus maybe a tie except on the rare occasion when he gets tired of the jacket bit....then he has been known to be followed to our table by a waiter bearing a jacket. I know, how can he be so inconsiderate but it has been graciously allowed, including by our table mates who sat with us and not the other way around.

Now thankfully, Seabourn has made a code change in keeping with the practice on the ships. In reality, once on the ship, no one pays any attention to how people are dressed. Unless. of course, you are the man in the rumpled jacket, over the stretched out logo T-shirt with the black high tops (sans laces). I kid you not. That was the talk of our last cruise since it happened every night.

So to those new to Seabourn...dress up if you love to go formal or dress nicely if you are not into formal. You will fit right in and have a great time. Seabourn is the best line and their three newer ships are beautiful and the most comfortable afloat.

Edited by cwn

Beginning to wish I hadn't started this thread. I was only curious as to what difference the newly created dress code was having. Now on-board Spirit with the first evening done, on every other cruise we have done it would have been casual but last night was elegant casual. We have 2 formal evenings and 12 elegant casual evenings on this cruise and if last night was anything to go by the change in dress code has not made a difference, the vast majority were smartly dressed with more men wearing jackets on the first night than we are used to.

Beginning to wish I hadn't started this thread.

Yes. But isn't it fun?

You've flushed out some great insights into how people see themselves and see others.

Quite an education.

Enjoy your cruise. That's what really counts.

Tony

Another Brit.

You couldn't have said it better! I chose to dress and I "chose" those who also dress. It's not a question of snobbery, it's just how I enjoy my life and I share my pleasures with those who enjoy the same interests. I'll be on the Soujourn in Feb. wish you would join us.

You couldn't have said it better! I chose to dress and I "chose" those who also dress. It's not a question of snobbery, it's just how I enjoy my life and I share my pleasures with those who enjoy the same interests. I'll be on the Soujourn in Feb. wish you would join us.

I guess we are all different but I would never decide which people I would "chose" on a cruise ship, or anywhere else for that matter, based on what they were wearing. If nothing else, I would feel I would miss out on exposure to the great breadth of people who make life interesting. What someone is wearing has never been a determinant of whether we share interests.