Traditional dining times

PurpleMoonlight

Hi all.

I'm considering booking a trip on the Caribbean Princess for next year. I've looked on the web site but can't find the answer to my question.

The fixed time dining appears to be called traditional dining, but what time is this please?

I have to say the FAQ on their web site is very poor for providing information.

When you make a booking (or pretend to) the dining time choices will show up in the booking form. That said, the options are usually 5:30, 6:00 and 8:15. These times might be adjusted a bit once onboard depending on itinerary and season, but usually only by +/- 15 minutes.

Edited by cherylandtk

It can vary [i am really not sure how or why].

However as a rule

1st sitting between about 6:00 and 6:30

2nd between 7:45 and 8:30.

I don't think I've ever seen earlier than 5:30 or later than 8:30

When you make a booking (or pretend to) the dining time choices will show up in the booking form. That said, the options are usually 5:30, 6:00 and 8:15. These times might be adjusted a bit once onboard depending on itinerary and season, but usually only by +/- 15 minutes.

Normal is the stated 6:00 and 8:15.

If there is big enough demand for the one at 6:00, then another time (the 5:30 one) will be offered in a different dining room which will become anytime after the 5:30 seating is over.

We always book TD first seating. Most of the time it is 6pm with an extra early seating at 5:30 which is usually in one of the anytime dining rooms.

However, we have had times as early at 5:30 for first seating in the main dining room which is very frustrating as 5:30 is entirely too early for us. On our Ruby TA last month dinner was at 5:30, and for the first time on many cruises we didn't eat in the mdr each night because of the early time. We were told by the passenger services and the CC hostess that the order came from corporate, not the maitre d'. Right up until boarding time our Cruise Personalizer was still showing that we were confirmed for 6pm first seating. When we got our cruise cards that showed 5:30 I figured it was a mistake and that the maitre d' would give us a table in the mdr for 6pm. Unfortunately the Patter showed that dinner was indeed at 5:30.

You can't be sure of the dining time until you get onboard no matter what your CP shows up until the last minute. I wish Princess would just leave first seating in the mdr at 6pm.

Edited by FritzG

I found on my last cruise that no time was perfect. It really depended on which port we were in and what we had done that day. We switched to Anytime dining for that cruise, and now I can't decide which we should do on our upcoming cruise. I really enjoy having the same service team each night, getting to know your tablemates, and not waiting for a table to open up for dinner. We just hate to miss dinner in the dining room due to our excursions, etc. What would you all suggest?

K-Dogg, we've done both Anytime Dining and the late seating on Princess. While the Anytime Dining worked well (only had to wait on a couple of evenings), we very much enjoyed the late seating (which we would not have chosen but for the fact the Pacific Princess doesn't have Anytime Dining and the early seating was already full.)

We liked having the same waitstaff each evening; we liked our tablemates very much; and we never were rushed to get back from an excursion in order to get ready for dinner. In fact, even after several ship's excursions that ran late, we always had plenty of time to relax and get cleaned up before our 8:15 pm seating. We were done with our dinner before the late shows and by taking a walk or going dancing after dinner, we never went to bed with a heavy meal on our stomach.

That's why when we had a choice on our upcoming Emerald Princess cruise, we requested the late seating for traditional dining. We're certainly looking forward to it again.

We prefer late traditional and usually it's at 8 or 8:15. Once it had apparently changed by the time we boarded and the first day Patter hadn't listed the time (so maybe it was up in the air for that cruise until the last minute). Didn't matter to us as long as we knew when to get to the MDR. Even our cabin steward wasn't sure.

As we didn't like anytime dining the cruise our second to the last cruise, we ended up signing up for early-early(that's the 5:30 one) rather than risking another waitlist. On the first day, we put in a request to change to late traditional and got it for the second day on.

If we miss our seating for whatever reason, we just go to the Horizon, no problem.

I prefer second seating traditional. It does interfere with some of the evening events, such as trivia and game show type competitions. I keep thinking about trying anytime again. Our one experience with it a dozen years ago was not good. The night we went during the peak time we had to wait too long. When we started going later, we ended up eating by ourselves since no one was requesting shared tables.

I was just on the Grand and when I booked the options were 5:30, 6 or 8:15, I requested 6 and was wait listed. A few days later I was confirmed for 6pm, it said that on my personalizer; however when I boarded it said 5:30 on my cruise card. I assumed it was a mistake so I went to customer service, I was told there is no 6 o'clock seating, they only had 5:30 or 7:45. I was told that it would be ok to go in a little late as long as I had finished before the next seating, i did and it was never a problem.

My daughter and I prefer late dining because people are never rushed through dinner. We still can make the last show and we can get Sushi before dinner. We asked for a large table, but last year we got a table for two and it was okay. We are very adaptable because we are on VaCaTion.