Outdoor "Big Screens" on the pool deck - are they of any value?

Have had two varying experiences on ships with the large video screens on pool decks.

On Radiance when there were movies screening or the daily activities program from the CD being shown there was so much other noise around it was difficult to concentrate or even hear the sound. In some instances the timing left a little to be desired where the sun was reflecting on the screen meaning whatever was being shown looked pretty washed out.

On Pacific Jewel during the soccer World Cup this year however, when games were being televised admittedly early morning or mid evening you could've heard a pin drop (apart from any cheering when a goal was scored).

Do these facilities really serve the purpose for which they were designed? Interested in other peoples experiences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hate them with a passion. . I'll never forget on a Dawn Princess cruise a Celine Dion concert film shown endlessly.....at full blast. I find the screens too loud and overpowering during the day.Just an updated form of Muzak

Dont serve much purpose in cooler climates at night but certainly lovely to watch a movie outdoors in the tropics with a cool cocktail:)

Very useful when live activities are filmed and streamed to the screen when there are crowds of people, eg crossing the equator.

Agree they can be annoying at other "fill in" times when all you want to do is relax by the pool.

Have had two varying experiences on ships with the large video screens on pool decks.

On Radiance when there were movies screening or the daily activities program from the CD being shown there was so much other noise around it was difficult to concentrate or even hear the sound. In some instances the timing left a little to be desired where the sun was reflecting on the screen meaning whatever was being shown looked pretty washed out.

On Pacific Jewel during the soccer World Cup this year however, when games were being televised admittedly early morning or mid evening you could've heard a pin drop (apart from any cheering when a goal was scored).

Do these facilities really serve the purpose for which they were designed? Interested in other peoples experiences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting topic for sure. The MUTS I felt were a waste of time......but the big screen was fabulous for going through the Sounds in NZ - running commentary's with the visuals. Very good for that. At night you needed to be midway down the seating to hear everything - too much back ground noise trying to watch from the back. IMHO

Edited by dizzy1948

My cricket mad son was happy that the Boxing Day test was on the big screen last year.

I love movies but I found it too cold/windy to sit out there at night, even in December

RCI put on the same trivia questions on high rotation every day. Surely, the screen could be put to better use.

Edited by aussielozzie18

MUTS is usually excessively noisy, frequently repeats the same videos, and is generally infuriating. As a direct result, we almost always avoid the nearby pool and its surroundings.

John

My cricket mad son was happy that the Boxing Day test was on the big screen last year.

I love movies but I found it too cold/windy to sit out there at night, even in December

RCI put on the same trivia questions on high rotation every day. Surely, the screen could be put to better use.

I like it when it's cold, I can snuggle up with someone, sometimes even under a blanket.

When we were on Diamond Princess and the pool deck was crowded , we would wait until the big screen played the Bary Manilow Live Concert . That was guaranteed to clear the deck and you could have your choice of the sun loungers.....:D:D

Its kind of ok to catch a glimpse of movies if you are in the pool or on a deck chair but as far as I see I could never get comfortable watching a movie on deck.

As for evenings I would never watch an evening movie on that screen as I tend to enjoy being down in the ship and watching the performance shows they have on and staying down in the promenade areas and below. It kind of feels weird laying on a deck chair with shoes and clothes on when you have just dressed up for dinner.

It would work better if they provided head phones for the movies or such at night and only show sport or shipboard activities during the day with little or no sound.:D

Needs more pole fitness world championships coverage, sound optional! :eek:

Especially 2012's held in Zurich Switzerland on November 10th! :p

:cool:

It would work better if they provided head phones for the movies or such at night and only show sport or shipboard activities during the day with little or no sound.:D

I don't watch sport on TV at home so why on earth would I want to be subjected to having it shown on a giant screen on a cruise? :eek:

Even with little or no sound the flashing of the images are distracting. One shopping centre I go to regularly has large screens showing ads near my favourite cafe. I try to ensure I am sitting with my back to the screen when I go there otherwise it's dreadful. :mad:

Princess calls it MUTS .

The programs put up are totally unsuitable for the age profile on most cruises.

For example Princess Trans Pacific cruise average age on board 65 + .

At lunch time reggae music MTV crap playing at volume 12 out of 10 absolutely deafening , one has to shout across the table to be heard .

Evening teenage young adult Hollywood violence totally unsuited to the age profile on board .

Sailing through the Pacific with a 65 + age profile NO South Pacific, NO Tales of the South Pacific, NO Blue Hawaii .

Complain to a totally disinterested Cruise Director (PR) and he shrugs his shoulders does nothing about the excessive volume, and blames Miami HO for the programming and walks off .

Needs more pole fitness world championships coverage, sound optional! :eek:

Especially 2012's held in Zurich Switzerland on November 10th! :p

As long as eurovision's 2014 Austrian contestant doesn't compete, I would watch.:p

I don't watch sport on TV at home so why on earth would I want to be subjected to having it shown on a giant screen on a cruise? :eek:

Even with little or no sound the flashing of the images are distracting. One shopping centre I go to regularly has large screens showing ads near my favourite cafe. I try to ensure I am sitting with my back to the screen when I go there otherwise it's dreadful. :mad:

The most important thing about sport is that it is not important. Mark Twain.;)

As long as eurovision's 2014 Austrian contestant doesn't compete, I would watch. :p

just the Wurst... :D

The M1 freeway was blocked for an hour yesterday when a circus truck driven by a bearded lady crashed into a hearse driven by a hunchback.

For some reason Police are describing it as a freak accident.

just the Wurst... :D

The M1 freeway was blocked for an hour yesterday when a circus truck driven by a bearded lady crashed into a hearse driven by a hunchback.

For some reason Police are describing it as a freak accident.

LOL, :D

I hate that freeway although it is not as bad as the F3.:eek:

Yeah - make it more like the old drive in Theatres from the "olden days". Used to love 'em. Put some nice comfy love seats out there. Oh Dear! Can you imagine the shenanigans!

Yeah - make it more like the old drive in Theatres from the "olden days". Used to love 'em. Put some nice comfy love seats out there. Oh Dear! Can you imagine the shenanigans!

Not from me and the bride, we don't do shenanigans, at least that's what the kids always thought:D

But if you didn't do shenanigans you wouldn't have had the kids in the first place. :p :D

I think that they now [at 28 and 30] accept we must have twice, but that's as far as they go suspect, but anyway we're too pure and innocent for such carry on.