All things Pride of America

collinH45

One of the shore excursions that we booked through an outside agency is scheduled for as soon as we debark in Maui. It includes a stop to swim under a waterfall, so we were advised to bring bathing suits and towels.

Can I pick up the pool towels that early, or do they offer towels as you disembark? Or should I take them from my cabin?

One of the shore excursions that we booked through an outside agency is scheduled for as soon as we debark in Maui. It includes a stop to swim under a waterfall, so we were advised to bring bathing suits and towels.

Can I pick up the pool towels that early, or do they offer towels as you disembark? Or should I take them from my cabin?

Use the pool towels from your cabin.

As you arrive at the beach, you'll notice others with matching NCL towels.

Don't look for towels as you are disembarking.

Get extra towels, the day before, from the pool area or just ask your cabin steward.

Edited by $hip$hape

Use the pool towels from your cabin.

As you arrive at the beach, you'll notice others with matching NCL towels.

Don't look for towels as you are disembarking.

Get extra towels, the day before, from the pool area or just ask your cabin steward.

Thanks.

• 10 months later...
Can anyone tell me whether there's a particular hotel that NCL uses or that you personally would recommend for a POA pre-cruise stay (2-3 dys)? Possibly one with a shuttle to the port?

Nothing is wrong with NCL's Marriott offering (based on reviews, I've personally never stayed), but you can get nicer accommodations cheaper...You really only need transportation to the port from the hotel to the pier and not back to the hotel so Uber/Cab will most likely be under $20 w/tip if you stay in Waikiki...Consider a popular plan of visiting Pearl Harbor on the morning of embarkment day but you'll need transportation to get there anyways...If you want to give us your budget for the night and criteria that important to you (beach front for example, but as I'm sure you know will cost more) we can help you out...Also consider priceline or hotwire...

You can usually book your own hotels and transfers much cheaper than NCL pricing for a package deal, although recently they have been offering a "free" one night stay precruise. NCL sometimes charges $25 to $35 pp for a transfer vs $15pp or less for the many shuttle services available, or @$25 total for a taxi. So their "package" price may be more expensive than you could book on your own. We do the taxi, because we like to go when we want to go, not at the time NCL assigns us, or when the shuttle says they'll pick us up.

You'll want the Waikiki area rather than Honolulu or an airport location for proximity to the port and to be within walking distance of the beach, restaurants and shopping. HHV, as mentioned, is nice. The Outrigger properties get recommended often. Duke's restaurant on site. There are condo type accommodations a couple blocks back that offer good values.

Edited by punkincc

Can anyone tell me whether there's a particular hotel that NCL uses or that you personally would recommend for a POA pre-cruise stay (2-3 dys)? Possibly one with a shuttle to the port?

No shuttle, but the Hilton Hawaiian is right on the beach and has everything you could ever want. It's crazy big though and the crowds can be intense.

There's always a million cabs there ready to take you to the port though.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Pacific Beach Hotel .. it's right on Waikiki ... and walking distance to everything.. they have rooms $150-$200 on up per night..depending on the view. They almost ALL charge more for a 'view'. We did not have to do shuttles from the hotel to airport or ship port, but we rented a car while in Honolulu and the rental car agency offered free rides to the ship's port. Just something to consider.

• 1 month later...
We are trying to find something to do near the port after checking in on the ship and before that eve's sailing.Any suggestions? we wil have already seen pearl harbor.

There is not much near the port. I have seen it stated that Iolani Palace is walkable, several blocks there and back again. With major jet lag and a busy cruise ahead, that would not be an option for me. I'd probably opt for a relaxing am on the beach or around the pool before heading for the ship noonish or early afternoon.

Never done it, but many say they do an early am hike up Diamond Head for the views. This is usually done before check out at the hotel so that you can freshen up after the hike. Another option would be a rental car ( with your luggage in the trunk ) and drive past Diamond Head and many of the scenic locations along the water, like Hanauma Bay, etc, then return car and shuttle or taxi to pier.

Keep in mind the hotel will hold your luggage for you if you have morning tour plans and will not return until after check out time. I don't see the point in dropping luggage at the ship, and especially waiting for check in to begin and then leaving again. You are wasting time that could be spent touring. Just go to the ship once, not twice.

Although the ship does not sail until 7:00, the safety drill is at 4:45, I believe. If you miss it, you'll have a make up on your day in Maui. I'd be sure to be on board before the drill.

Edited by punkincc

We spent the afternoon on Wakiki Beach. The hotel we were in had a shower available to change before we got our transfers to ship. Someone we know took a ride on one of the catamarans lined up on beach. My son-in-law did hike to the top of Diamond Head. Also, there is a small aquarium near Diamond Head.

We are trying to find something to do near the port after checking in on the ship and before that eve's sailing.Any suggestions? we wil have already seen pearl harbor.

The Marukame Udon experience was one the highlights of my Waikiki visit.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/marukame-udon-honolulu

You can't get food like this on the ship!