All things Pride of America

collinH45

Obsessedwithplanning ......

I feel the port side is best for viewing the NaPali coast. The first pass (port) is made closer and slower to the coast/island, then the ship makes a turn and is a lot further out from the coast, and also picks up speed.

Chuck

Agree with this. The portside is best for NaPali sailby. From the time you leave port to the end of the sailby is about 3 hours. There are hours of viewing the Kauai coastline prior to getting to the NaPali coast and all from the portside. The little turnaround at the end where the starboard side views the NaPali coast is just the last 20 minutes or so and from further out. You can go up on deck to view the last bit from starboard side if you wish.

The best thing about the POA is their fantastic itinerary. Not only the NaPali coast viewing (unbelievable and not to be missed), but the lava flow sailby too. No other ship does both of these that I know about.

I was just on the POA for 2 B2B cruises. At this time of year, the second pass was in total darkness by the time it ended passing by the coast. The first pass was definitely the preferred pass.

Hmmmm... I never thought about the time and darkness.

Thanks!

When did you go, and was there "enough" daylight time for viewing that magnificent scenery for at least the first pass?

We were thinking of mid-December (not this year), but now I'm wondering.

Maybe we should do this earlier in the year (like late summer/early fall), when there is more daylight, especially given that there are two overnights. Not so much fun driving around in the dark...

GeezerCouple

We had a wonderful experience on the POA, we found all crew to warm and welcoming and really enjoyed talking to them, asking them where they were from and why did they pick the cruise life!

We had a balcony cabin, perfect size and great to relax on the balcony.

We rented cars on each island, pre-booked with Thrifty Blue Chip and had no problems what so ever with them.

I had bought online frankcomaps.com maps of each island, very colorful and detailed maps of each island including history, beaches, waterfalls, everything you would need!

Very causal ship so sundresses and nice shorts and Hawaiian shirts were just fine for dinners.

We came in from the East coast so came 3 days early and stayed 2 days after the cruise and it was a huge help to come in early to get acclimated to the time difference!

First thing you have to understand is you can't see it all so pick what you want to see or do and plan it so you don't miss out. We planned our helicopter ride for day two on Kauai and it was cancelled due to rain so we should have booked it for day one so if cancelled we might of had a chance to re-book on day two.

Light weight rain jackets were a must in February and water proof shoes or sandals as we had a lot of rain

I kept a journal of our trip, I also had several SD cards so in case one was lost or corrupt we wouldn't lose all of our pictures.

I also brought refillable water bottles for when we left the ship as everything was expensive in Hawaii.

The ship provides you with beach towels, nice touch!

Both of our sail by viewings were poor due to weather, heavy rain. But the balcony was still worth every penny!

We never had time to swim or even think of relaxing on the ship as we spent almost every minute off the ship other than sleeping!

Only excursions we booked was the Road to Hana and the Smith's family luau and we booked these on the internet and not with the cruise line.

Great, great trip. One we would love to do again but I can't believe the cost compared to when we traveled!

We were originally booked in a port side cabin, but we were upgraded to a suite on the starboard side.

I really wanted to stay on the port side, but the upgrade was irresistible.

Which open deck would be the best place to watch the Napali Coast Sailby?

I was thinking up a deck on 14?

We were out on deck six. Lots of space as most people that didn't have balconies were on the upper decks.

Hmmmm... I never thought about the time and darkness.

Thanks!

When did you go, and was there "enough" daylight time for viewing that magnificent scenery for at least the first pass?

We were thinking of mid-December (not this year), but now I'm wondering.

Maybe we should do this earlier in the year (like late summer/early fall), when there is more daylight, especially given that there are two overnights. Not so much fun driving around in the dark...

GeezerCouple

We got off the ship this past Saturday after 2 B2B cruises in the Grand Suite cabin 12006. The first pass had adequate light during each cruise. The second pass was in darkness by the time we finished on each cruise. We started the first pass around 5 pm on each cruise. Don't recall when sunset occurred but it would have been at the end of the first pass.

The itinerary picture on the website shows the first pass port but a turn inward towards the island and the second pass- starboard- as being much closer. Oh well, guess we will just watch from on deck, not sure I want to bother trying to change the reservation.

Any tips for reasonable excursions would ge great. We are a family of 4. We go in August. We have cruised before but only on Royal and none of us have ever been to Hawaii.

The itinerary picture on the website shows the first pass port but a turn inward towards the island and the second pass- starboard- as being much closer. Oh well, guess we will just watch from on deck, not sure I want to bother trying to change the reservation.

Any tips for reasonable excursions would ge great. We are a family of 4. We go in August. We have cruised before but only on Royal and none of us have ever been to Hawaii.

Check out https://www.rhshorex.com/

Same tours as NCL but better prices - you will see lots of Roberts buses parked as you disembark the ship ready to load pax for tours.

I'm a huge fan of leveraging TripAdvisor for planning shore excursions. Think first and foremost about what's important to you - adventure, history, being in the water, etc. - and then go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It was our experience, as a few others mentioned, that after the sail-by the POA turns away from the coast and picks up speed. It was also getting dark by that time so not a whole lot was visible anyway.

We had penthouse suite 13518 on the port side and had a huge deck. I wanted to have an early dinner brought up to us to enjoy outside watching the sail by. Instead we got pouring rain!!! I just opened up the slider to take some pictures but we mostly watched it from inside.

Still seeing it in the rain was better than not seeing it at all. :rolleyes:

golfpro8961 .....

I have sailed that time frame....no real issues, however ... be aware things/storms do not have to be even close to affect your ship.

On a Hawaii cruise a couple of years ago, there was a storm over 1200 miles away that generated wave and swell action that affected the cruise. The weather was beautiful in the Islands. We had to leave Maui early, due to the swells in the harbor affecting the ship while tied up. It snapped 4 tie-up ropes while tied to the pier. Later in the cruise at Kona ... where you tender at, the swells were still too large ... so it prevented us from going ashore, so we sailed on to Honolulu and watched the 4th of July fireworks from the ship offshore.

So, really the bad stuff does not even have to be close to affect the ship. That being said ... we have had very great cruises in Hawaii, all times of the year, but Mother Nature has her say at times also!

I would not worry about it for one minute!

Subscribed and anxious to read any and all comments about this cruise. We are booked for January 2016 so have plenty of time for research. Have a port side balcony on deck 9 cabin 9528. Anyone have current reviews for this cabin? I believe there was a recent refurb but doesn't sound like it was too major. Thanks for starting this topic.

Edited by ransrider

I can't figure out how to ask a question on this list. My husband is handicapped and doesn't walk well and we were wondering if there were any good excursions for the elderly.?

On the NCL Pride of America "Explore and Plan" web-site page, there are 96 shore excursions/tours listed.

Look for "activity level one" that also have a wheelchair logo:

"These tours accommodate guests that are full-time wheelchair users.

Guests can remain in their wheelchair for the duration of the Excursion. Please contact the Shore Excursion staff upon boarding to ensure that your needs can be accommodated."

My friend and I are heading out on the POA on Dec 5 2014. (YAY!) My question is this: When the cruise is over, we depart off the ship by 10:00am on the final day but our flight home isn't until 11:00pm. What do people do with their luggage all day? I don't think we are planning a post-cruise excursion, probably hitting the beach for the final time. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

My friend and I are heading out on the POA on Dec 5 2014. (YAY!) My question is this: When the cruise is over, we depart off the ship by 10:00am on the final day but our flight home isn't until 11:00pm. What do people do with their luggage all day? I don't think we are planning a post-cruise excursion, probably hitting the beach for the final time. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Check out the ports of call Hawaii board. I remember that this question came up often. Some take a day long tour around Oahu that drops you at the airport. Your luggage is with you on the van/bus. I think there was also a service where they would take your luggage to a storage spot near the airport and then take it to the airport to meet you when check in times start. There are lockers near the port/Aloha tower but you might not want to back track there after going to Waikiki for the day. We had an afternoon flight and checked our luggage right at the port building, but you had to pick everything up by 2:00 or 3:00 pm. I recall a couple of people getting hotel rooms on or near the beach. There aren't really any "day rates", but they checked out in the evening and paid for the full night.

Thanks!

With that late of a flight, I'd rent a car at the airport. Keep your bags in the trunk of your car while you enjoy Honolulu.

I am being extremely impatient! I thought I'd ask here..... I want to book for May of 2017 and NCL's website has had through April of 2017 up for ages. Any prediction on when the next month will post? I can't wait to officially book and start planning!