All things Pride of America

collinH45

The muster drill is held at about 4:45. If you board late and miss it you will have to do the make up session which is late afternoon on your overnight day in Maui and would not be at all convenient. So, you could make a dinner reservation for as early as 5:30 if you want, although they are not required for any restaurant. The "best" as in least busy might be during sailaway at 7:00 PM as most everyone else will be out on deck. Many people may eat early, prior to sailaway. I know we were exhausted from the time change and retired not long after. Many others will likely do the same, so the specialties may not be at all crowded in the evening.

The muster drill is held at about 4:45. If you board late and miss it you will have to do the make up session which is late afternoon on your overnight day in Maui and would not be at all convenient. So, you could make a dinner reservation for as early as 5:30 if you want, although they are not required for any restaurant. The "best" as in least busy might be during sailaway at 7:00 PM as most everyone else will be out on deck. Many people may eat early, prior to sailaway. I know we were exhausted from the time change and retired not long after. Many others will likely do the same, so the specialties may not be at all crowded in the evening.

Thanks for the warning about muster drill. Won't dawdle in Honolulu before boarding! Sounds like if we can stay awake, dinner at 8 would mean you don't miss anything?

We sail on POA this Saturday. Were shorts and t shirts the general order of the day for excursions or do you need longer pants? I've heard the ship interior in the theater you need a light sweater. How well do the staterooms cool? (I prefer a really cold room to sleep in.)

I have long skirts and dressy blouses for me to eat in specialty restaurants and capris or shorts for other dining on the ship. Hubby will wear jean (nice, starched) and one navy pair of slacks with collared shirt for specialty dining - are we OK???

• 1 month later...
Does POA have the soda program on board where you can buy the package and get soda the entire cruise?

Yes, the soda package is available, but due to Hawaiian state law, the UBP or any liquor package is not allowed.

One thing to remember about luggage upon departure, is that Hawaii requires an agriculture screening even before you check in, which is one reason there is no "baggage delivery" services.

Edited by chengkp75

Just off the ship (2/14-22) and really enjoyed a different perspective of the islands. We were in Cabin 10000, which is the very front of deck 10. A very nice cabin with some quirks. The morning that we arrived in Kona was a rather "rude" awakening when they dropped anchor. A very loud process which guarantees you'll be awake for your tender. ;) Our friends in 8000 had it even worse as they were practically on the same deck where the activity occurs.

The whole boarding process was pretty easy. Made even more so by the fact that we were suite quests. On the other end of the trip, they really should have more porters around to help with your bags when you get off the ship.

Transfers to the airport at the end of the cruise would probably be more easily done by taxi than the bus service. One of our party had to take the taxi and got to the airport before us. I believe it cost her <$30. This compares to the NCL transfers at $20 each.

We had an 8th floor mid-ship obstructed oceanview cabin, which we were upgraded to (free) from an inside guarantee about two weeks before sailing. We did have to call our TA but she got it for us. The cabin was great with very little motion feeling. The only bad thing is you could hear your neighbors on the wall with the connecting door and I'm sure they could hear you.

Thanks EllieinNJ!

Picklebritches, we were on the 8th floor which I thought was a great floor to be on. It was very quiet, but easily accessible via the stairwells to all floors. We had a large balcony room that we enjoyed thoroughly. Our cabin was all the way forward where we did experience the motion of the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you elpasomom! My cabin has been changed to 11027, which is forward. I'm just crossing fingers that it all works out!

Have had this itinerary on our list for some time now. What is your favorite time of year to go? We were thinking late Aug/early Sept. Any thoughts on that time frame? Thanks!

I would think that time of year is going to be super hot!!, if you aren't taking kids with you sept is prob good as kids are back to school so not as busy

Do they make/serve crepes anywhere on the ship? If so what kind.

I am hoping that is a fleet wide thing as on the epic they always has them for supper time which was good to have when returning from port, and they had a wide variety both desert and meal crepes.

So hope they do have them on poa yum!!

So Jalves, did NCL transfer you and your bags to the airport after disembarking? Our flight on 4/11 doesn't leave until 10:45pm so we are trying to figure out what to do with luggage while we play for a while! Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks! ;)

Yes. Our flight from HNL was at 11:45 am. When we got off the ship, we found our luggage in the designated section fairly easily but then we were concierge and the section was relatively small. We then looked around for a porter but none were available. We rolled our suitcases to the door (about 100 yards), checked in with the person there and waited for the bus. When it came (10-15 minutes) we wheeled our suitcases over to the bus and the driver put them beneath the coach.

Once at HNL (about a 20 minute drive) we were the 2nd of three stops. At HNL, the driver unloaded our bags from under the coach and we wheeled it to the airline check-in counter which luckily was right there.

Thank you elpasomom! My cabin has been changed to 11027, which is forward. I'm just crossing fingers that it all works out!

One of our party was in 11008, which is further forward than your cabin. She was OK with the motion. Our friends were in 8000 and we were in 10000, both of which are as far forward as you can go on those decks. One of our friends was bothered by the motion on a couple of the nights and my wife, who is prone to motion sickness, was also bothered on 2-3 nights.

One of our party was in 11008, which is further forward than your cabin. She was OK with the motion. Our friends were in 8000 and we were in 10000, both of which are as far forward as you can go on those decks. One of our friends was bothered by the motion on a couple of the nights and my wife, who is prone to motion sickness, was also bothered on 2-3 nights.

Do you know if the stateroom your friends had, 11008, had double sink bowls in the bathroom?

I would think that time of year is going to be super hot!!, if you aren't taking kids with you sept is prob good as kids are back to school so not as busy

The average high temp in Hawaii only varies by about 3 degrees year round. Ave. high of 81 to 84 depending on the season, so there are no big fluctuations. We were there in August and it was very comfortable. Actually, June through Oct. is the "dry season", and because it is a little less humid, it could feel more comfortable than a humid "cooler" day in January. And there are always the Tradewinds.

Hawaii will have beautiful weather whenever you decide to go.:)

Edited by punkincc

Yes. Our flight from HNL was at 11:45 am. When we got off the ship, we found our luggage in the designated section fairly easily but then we were concierge and the section was relatively small. We then looked around for a porter but none were available. We rolled our suitcases to the door (about 100 yards), checked in with the person there and waited for the bus. When it came (10-15 minutes) we wheeled our suitcases over to the bus and the driver put them beneath the coach.

Once at HNL (about a 20 minute drive) we were the 2nd of three stops. At HNL, the driver unloaded our bags from under the coach and we wheeled it to the airline check-in counter which luckily was right there.

Just a small point, but didn't you have to put your bags through the Agriculture inspection belt before checking in with the airlines?

Just a small point, but didn't you have to put your bags through the Agriculture inspection belt before checking in with the airlines?

Yes, that is the case. Fortunately the inspection belt was right there in an almost direct line from the curb to our airline check-in counter. Only bags you intend to check need to go through the AG inspection, which seemed a little illogical to me.

Yes, that is the case. Fortunately the inspection belt was right there in an almost direct line from the curb to our airline check-in counter. Only bags you intend to check need to go through the AG inspection, which seemed a little illogical to me.

Not really, when you see the cute little Beagles in the terminal sniffing your carry-ons. They are Agriculture dogs.

Do you know if the stateroom your friends had, 11008, had double sink bowls in the bathroom?

That was my room. The room and the verandah were great, but the bath was small.

There's a single sink. The tub/shower has rather high sides, so climbing in and out was a little awkward. And the tub is raised a little, leaving not a lot of room over your head when standing. I think anyone over 6 feet tall would find the shower curiously short.

But that awesome large verandah was heaven!

The average high temp in Hawaii only varies by about 3 degrees year round. Ave. high of 81 to 84 depending on the season, so there are no big fluctuations. We were there in August and it was very comfortable. Actually, June through Oct. is the "dry season", and because it is a little less humid, it could feel more comfortable than a humid "cooler" day in January. And there are always the Tradewinds.

Hawaii will have beautiful weather whenever you decide to go.:)

It really can vary depending on which island and which part of the island as well. And the "average" high (and low) doesn't really reflect the range of temperatures. I live in the hotter part of Oahu and a typical high for us in August and September was 90-93. But over in Honolulu, it hit 93 once and that tied (or set) a record high. It is definitely true though that hit for Hawaii isn't hot compared to, say, Texas. Or anywhere in the south in the summer. Now that it is winter our highs have tended to be averaging around 80 instead of around 90 for my part of the island. Some days don't get above 70. One night last month the low was 55 (which is quite cold when your house doesn't have heat LOL) but in the summer the lows were much higher. Also of importance is the varying water temperatures. January they were between 72-75 the days I checked, and beginning of this month as well. Now they are moving back up and are around 75-78.

Compared to most mainland places though, yes, our weather is great year round. You will be unlikely to be disappointed with the weather at any time of year.

~Katy

We have the same problem as Picklebritches . Our flight after the cruise leaves at 10:50 pm. Three years ago NCL offered a post excursion that allowed you to store your luggage at the terminal and included the HOHO bus until 5 pm when the luggage needed to be collected. It is not listed in their current list of excursions. Has it been canceled? If so, is there somewhere else nearby that will store luggage for the day? Having been in Honolulu we do not want to rent a car and fight the traffic.

We will be on POA April 4th 2015. On my roll call for that date I have a detailed recent POA review and a cheat sheet.

Bostnatis, I can't find the cheat sheet you reference on your roll call. Can you please provide a link to that exact cheat sheet. Thanks.