What's a three day princess cruise like?

dclark

All of my comments are regard to the Golden 3 day cruise out of LA. Three day cruises have one sea day and one port day. There is a pub lunch on the sea day. No Captain Circle party but you do get one voucher for a free drink. They have a balloon drop but no Champagne waterfall.

Activities include vegetable carving and ice carving demos. Art Auction :( MUTS and movies shown in the Princess Theater. Pool games. Bingo. A few passenger participation games. Tea service. and more.

No Captain Circle party but you do get one voucher for a free drink.

The voucher is only if you're Platinum or Elite. The Captain's Circle host told me that we wouldn't get one (as Gold) even though lots of literature said we would.

Jim

I was always skeptical about these 3-day cruises until Princess announced a promotion last fall that said: whatever you spend on a cruise, they apply 100% of the amount to the next cruise. The catch was we had to complete it by the end of this year. We took advantage and went on a 3-day from L.A. to Encinada. It was a nice weekend getaway and we enjoyed it like mini vacation. As it was mentioned above, there was a movie in the theater, a show each evening and the rest of the usual stuff. Don't remember a waterfall. No formal night. We were also on a 3-day Bahamas from Miami on Majecty of the Seas which was also very nice. It was our anniversary and we decided to do it last minute as it was cheaper than just going to keys and staying in the hotel. The good part is that 3 day cruises that start on Friday don't require any time off as you can go straight to work Monday morning, that is if you are still working. If you are retired, it doesn't matter. If you want to get away and don't have much time, go for it.

The voucher is only if you're Platinum or Elite. The Captain's Circle host told me that we wouldn't get one (as Gold) even though lots of literature said we would.

Jim

I had the same experience on my recent 4-nighter on the Golden as a Ruby level--no drink coupon for me.

This was my first cruise shorter than 7 nights, and it seemed more casual in dress (especially the MDR) and a bit less relaxed than a longer cruise. Not sure whether this was due to pax trying to cram everything they wanted to do into fewer days, or that there were lots of blue cards onboard so they were less experienced with how things work, or both.

As with the 3-night poster's cruise, there was a pub lunch and a balloon drop, but no champagne waterfall or Captain's Circle party.

Edited by Ryndam2002
spelling

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I did "forget" to mention that the drink coupons were for Platinum and Elite Passengers. Even Suite people didn't get them (we were in a suite and Elite...but did get two mini-bar set ups). There was Baked Alaska but no Lobster. Did have surf (large shrimp) and turf one night.

The week day voyages are a little (not by much) tamer than the weekend ones. Although, the last one I was on had lots of people who went to gamble. The crowd was much younger and, in my opinion, much more inconsiderate than in the past. Of course, there are always the really nice people you meet on the cruise too.

It is a great get away cruise. I was told that this year is much more profitable than last season.

No formal night even on the four day cruises. That could be a positive or negative depending on your opinion of formal nights. No lobster or baked Alaska.

We had baked alaska the last night of our 4-day out of LA. With the parade and everything.

It's just a fun party weekend, not to be confused with a real cruise, but it is a taste. We did one with our kids this spring and it was a blast. We would do it again.

It is a real cruise. If you board a ship and sail, it is a cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I booked it. Total cost with tax for two $647, subtract

$30 in once from our fcc and we also get dinner for two at the steak house

And a bottle of champagne. I am platinum so hopefully will get drink coupon

I've done a 11 day princess cruise, just wondering what is miss.

...I've done a 11 day princess cruise, just wondering what is miss.

My advice for a 3-night is to try to relax and not cram 11 nights worth of activities into 3, unless you are not looking for relaxation. I saw some trying to do everything on my 4-nighter, and I suspect they did not "come back new", but came back tired.

As far as what will be "missing", I think the previous posters covered it pretty well. Things vary on Princess somewhat from cruise to cruise, and ship to ship, but nevertheless there should be plenty you will enjoy!

Edited by Ryndam2002

It is a real cruise. If you board a ship and sail, it is a cruise.

Just like any other cruise except shorter. Some things might not be offered (lobster, Afternoon Tea) on one but may show up on another. They trim the experience to fit the time frame. I've done a couple of them and had a great time.

Edited by shredie

Just like any other cruise except shorter. Some things might not be offered (lobster, Afternoon Tea) on one but may show up on another. They trim the experience to fit the time frame. I've done a couple of them and had a great time.

I agree! I did my first 4-nighter last month, and am planning another for next year. I just can't do the 7-night and longer cruises right now due to personal commitments, so the short ones work out fine for me.

I'm planning to book us on a 3-day and 4-day after Christmas on the Caribbean Princess. When I called my travel agent today, the price of balcony cabins had dropped considerably from when I first started looking at these cruises in August. (I've been tracking prices of 14 cruises that week (HAL, Celebrity, and Princess) in a spreadsheet.) We can get a balcony cabin for the 7 nights cheaper than an inside on HAL.

The good news is that when I was checking out the cruises to show DH tonight, I noticed the price of the 3-day had dropped--$110 less per person. Anyone considering taking a short cruise should check out the CB's cruises next month. Princess is also offering generous on-board credit.