no invites to loyalty events

Tennessee Titan

4* Silver Medallion

WOW! Thanks to all who replied. I am amazed at the response!

The whole story. No invite to 2nd Mariner ceremony/lunch. No notice/explanation/apology. I then cancelled my future cruise, with explanation. Future Cruise Consultant immediately ran to GRM, who called me. I was so pissed at that point that I blew her off. Later that day, went to front desk to ask why. They said (paraphrasing) "Our guidelines say no invite to 2nd set of loyalty affairs". Thisa was OK. What got me was the cold way it was handled: No little note explaining why, no apology, nothing...

That is no way to treat your most loyal customers!

Before the cruise ended, when I had cooled down, I made another attempt to tahl to the GRM and apologise for my earlier behavior. The front desk said I had to tell them what the subject of my discussion was. I refused. GRM or desk never called back...

End of story.

I guess we were about cruised out anyway, and all this aggrevation was a good excuse to bail...

4* Silver Medallion

WOW! Thanks to all who replied. I am amazed at the response!

The whole story. No invite to 2nd Mariner ceremony/lunch. No notice/explanation/apology. I then cancelled my future cruise, with explanation. Future Cruise Consultant immediately ran to GRM, who called me. I was so pissed at that point that I blew her off. Later that day, went to front desk to ask why. They said (paraphrasing) "Our guidelines say no invite to 2nd set of loyalty affairs". Thisa was OK. What got me was the cold way it was handled: No little note explaining why, no apology, nothing...

That is no way to treat your most loyal customers!

Before the cruise ended, when I had cooled down, I made another attempt to tahl to the GRM and apologise for my earlier behavior. The front desk said I had to tell them what the subject of my discussion was. I refused. GRM or desk never called back...

End of story.

I guess we were about cruised out anyway, and all this aggrevation was a good excuse to bail...

This is the problem with hal. They sure seem to like the fresh meat as opposed to the long time Mariners. Yes, I get the fact that they need to attract new cruisers but why does a it have to be at the expense of the loyal cruisers?

This is the problem with hal. They sure seem to like the fresh meat as opposed to the long time Mariners. Yes, I get the fact that they need to attract new cruisers but why does a it have to be at the expense of the loyal cruisers?

This feeling has been expressed on other boards as well. On the Princess board, IIRC, the speculation was that newbies spend far more onboard and on shore excursions than veteran cruisers who have "been there and done that".

This feeling has been expressed on other boards as well. On the Princess board, IIRC, the speculation was that newbies spend far more onboard and on shore excursions than veteran cruisers who have "been there and done that".

That could be true for some but I imagine some newbies are thrifty too. One of my friends is very thrifty. She has only done 2 cruises. I've done about 35 . My bill is likely multiples of hers. I can also tell you on princess I get special pricing and I'm elite. I've only got special pricing on hal once, and it wasn't overly special.

Edited by cruz chic

I think there is alot of truth in your statement, but we were all new once and with luck the newbies will become the veteran cruisers like us someday.

What on earth is the big deal about a loyalty lunch? Rubber chicken and some ra ra zis boom bah from one of the staff.

You can get lunch anywhere. I cannot even imagine thinking about this twice.

You were probably better off with a quiet lunch by yourself.

Give HAL a break on this one. It is unfortunate that this is the memory of your cruise that seems to be paramount to you.

Edited by iancal

What on earth is the big deal about a loyalty lunch? Rubber chicken and some ra ra zis boom bah from one of the staff.

You can get lunch anywhere. I cannot even imagine thinking about this twice.

You were probably better off with a quiet lunch by yourself.

Give HAL a break on this one. It is unfortunate that this is the memory of your cruise that seems to be paramount to you.

I agree with iancal. People should focus on what's important in their holiday.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

It might not be important to you, but it obviously was to the OP. We each decide our own priorities. There are a lot more important things to me than a second invitation to the Mariner's luncheon, but my priorities are not the OP's.

It might not be important to you, but it obviously was to the OP. We each decide our own priorities. There are a lot more important things to me than a second invitation to the Mariner's luncheon, but my priorities are not the OP's.

One more time:

It wasn't the (lack of) invitation, but the way it was handled by the HAL Staff. I do enjoy celebrating with the other Mariners.

BTW: They don't serve chicken.....

One more time:

It wasn't the (lack of) invitation, but the way it was handled by the HAL Staff. I do enjoy celebrating with the other Mariners.

BTW: They don't serve chicken.....

I understand very well what you are saying.

HAL trades on their service record and sometimes you do have to wonder about this. Some crew are not "on board" in respect to gracious service and that is something HAL should be supervising better.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Hard for you to say not your cup of tea until you taste the tea. :D No?

I think the salmon they serve at Mariners Brunch delicious. It's an appetizer but more than adequate for me to have as my entrée. Try it. You may like it. :)

I never drink tea - only coffee. Just like drinking perfume, yuck.

I eat salmon though but I'm sure it can't be much different to salmon served elsewhere? So still no interest from me - I'd rather read a book.;)

I never drink tea - only coffee. Just like drinking perfume, yuck...

A bit OT: Funny you should say that. I used to work here in California with a woman originally from England. Someone once assumed that she wanted tea to drink, and her response was "I hate tea--I swill coffee like an American".

Thanks for the explanation. It wouldn't be my cup of tea - I'm all about the food:D

I never drink tea - only coffee. Just like drinking perfume, yuck.

I eat salmon though but I'm sure it can't be much different to salmon served elsewhere? So still no interest from me - I'd rather read a book.;)

What's REally funny is it was You who wrote: ..... "wouldn't be my cup of tea" right here in this thread. :)

What's REally funny is it was You who wrote: ..... "wouldn't be my cup of tea" right here in this thread. :)

OK.... so the poster said twice that he/she doesn't drink tea. Trying to find the humour in that.....:confused: Maybe the post was edited?

We recently did Alaska followed by a repositioning through the Panama Canal to Ft. Lauderdale, 27 days on the Zuiderdam. We were invited to two Mariner brunches and a special Indonesian lunch. We went from 2 star to 3 on this trip so we're not long time cruisers. My only disappointment was the tiles which were the same as those I received on a cruise over two years ago. In the past, the tiles were different on every cruise.

OK.... so the poster said twice that he/she doesn't drink tea. Trying to find the humour in that.....:confused: Maybe the post was edited?

The poster used a common expression and I think S7S took it literally ;)

The poster used a common expression and I think S7S took it literally ;)

The Poster took it literally. :)

Did you notice his/her second post restating? That probably makes it seem they mean it?

Your humor and my humor and someone else's humor doesn't always match what the posse thinks is funny. :D

For Pete's sake, this Is a joke. :D

Edited by sail7seas

Did you notice his/her second post restating? That probably makes it seem they mean it?

Your humor and my humor and someone else's humor doesn't always match what the posse thinks is funny. :D

:confused posse? you've lost me on that one.

you're right - everyone's humour doesn't match - no worries.;)

I've been called a lot of things in my time, but now I'm a posse?? No, I definitely didn't find any of it funny, the humour was totally lost on me.

We sailed on the Zaandam when we reached our 500 days status.

It was really different as there were only 8 of us receiving medallions.

We had lunch with the captain, hotel manager and cruise director - in the Pinnacle Grill - I didn't know food that good was ever served aboard ship - it was exceptional. The meal was informal and friendly with lots of conversation and jokes - it was the highlight of the cruise and after the meal each couple had their pictures taken separately with the captain and hotel manager and then received 2 free copies plus our medallion of course. It was the best celebration of receiving a medallion that we ever experienced.

Hats off to the captain and hotel manager on the Zaandam who really know how to make guests feel special!

We had lunch with the captain, hotel manager and cruise director - in the Pinnacle Grill - I didn't know food that good was ever served aboard ship - it was exceptional. The meal was informal and friendly with lots of conversation and jokes - it was the highlight of the cruise and after the meal each couple had their pictures taken separately with the captain and hotel manager and then received 2 free copies plus our medallion of course. It was the best celebration of receiving a medallion that we ever experienced.

Hats off to the captain and hotel manager on the Zaandam who really know how to make guests feel special!

What a wonderful experience, Juanita.

Congratulations on receiving your Gold Medallions and thank you for sharing about your great experience with us. :)

This is what I call a fabulous post !!

That sounds awesome, do you remember who the Captain was?