Sodas in baggage

Sparetiming

Are you just making stuff up? or am I blind?

I haven't seen anything in this thread to indicate OP said anything about flying.

I don't think you are blind and nobody is making anything up.

Somewhere along the line you tripped up.

Sparetiming is the OP. Beachbum53 responded to OP's question by telling them what they do with their sodas.

Serene56 then asked Beachbum53 if they have done that since 2014.

Latitudes918 then told Serene56 to reread Beachbum53's post.

Hope that helps clarify things.:)

Bill

Thank you for all your suggestions. I just mainly wanted to know if having to carry on sodas was a new policy because we have always just put them in a check bag by themselves. I guess if they might now confiscate them I should carry them on. I never have had a problem before but we have not cruised in a few years either.

Yes, a new policy in the past year or so.

You can also bring on soda from your ports as well.

You actually fly with sodas in your checked luggage? I hope you're not paying to check your bags.

Yep! Never had a problem. I pack 20 oz. disposable bottles, NOT cans. I put them in zip lock bags, sandwiched between layers of clothing. They're well padded. Never had one rupture or leak. And, since we fly on American Airlines, we have to pay for checked luggage. $25.00 per bag. I wish the airlines would stop charging for checked luggage (as long as it's under the weight limit), but that's not gonna happen.

Yep! Never had a problem. I pack 20 oz. disposable bottles, NOT cans. I put them in zip lock bags, sandwiched between layers of clothing. They're well padded. Never had one rupture or leak. And, since we fly on American Airlines, we have to pay for checked luggage. $25.00 per bag. I wish the airlines would stop charging for checked luggage (as long as it's under the weight limit), but that's not gonna happen.

I'm not sure I understand. You are bringing your own soda to avoid paying the ship's prices, correct? Seems that any savings would be wiped out with the $25.00 checked bag fee. How many bottles are we talking here?

Edited by HawksFan74

The carry-on soda policy has been enforced since at least Oct 2010. We cruised the Legend out of Tampa at that time and they were strongly enforcing it then... so at least 4 years ago. There were workers telling those waiting to grab a porter that water and pop needed to be carried on not in the checked luggage.

This cruise date sticks out in my mind as we had a cruise friend and her hubby that ended up having to tote a case of water through the check-in line.

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

I'm not sure I understand. You are bringing your own soda to avoid paying the ship's prices, correct? Seems that any savings would be wiped out with the $25.00 checked bag fee. How many bottles are we talking here?

Most airlines charge $25.00 (or more) per bag, so long as each bag does not weigh more than 50 lbs. For every bag over 50 lbs. there is an additional fee. We bring our own sodas because we are Diet Pepsi drinkers. Carnival only sells Coke products. It has nothing to do with what the ship charges. If Carnival sold Diet Pepsi, we'd probably consider buying the Bottomless Bubbles cards. But they don't, so we bring our own. All clear now?

Everytme i sail i have a light weight collapsible handtruck from harbor freight. It weighs about six pounds. I put all my water and soda on it and wheel them onto the ship. With four boys they could take turns. Also i am not sure if you said you take on goodies to eat but i thought outside food was not allowed.

Anyway don;t sweat it and happy sailing!!!

Take it from me, if you take soda onboard CARRY IT ON and DO NOT pack it in your luggage!

Several years ago my husband and I were running late to the port and we had a 12 pack of Coke Zero (our cruise line only had Pepsi onboard and that's not our drink of choice). Well, the bottom fell out of the box in the parking lot so in a tizzy, we shoved as many cans as we could in our carry on and put three cans in my checked bag.

Well, I learned this lesson the hardest way possible -- yep, all 3 cans exploded inside my bag, turning EVERYTHING into a big, wet, sticky, smelly mess! My cocktail dress, my swimsuit, underwear, EVERYTHING was covered. Luckily I had put one extra outfit in my carryon bag. I had to send everything to the ship's laundry and let me tell you, that was one expensive mistake.

The heck of it is that we weren't even trying to "sneak" anything forbidden on, it was just a careless mistake. We still take soda onboard but always as a carryon!

Have some of you considered running for Congress? OP...you have received parental and economic advice and you didn't even have to pay for it!

My answer is simple...carry it on board with the kids helping. If you check it in at the pier and some cans explode from being jostled around then the bags unfortunate to be in the vicinity will also (more than likely) get soda on them also. If one of the bags were mine I wouldn't be a happy camper.

I've taken two 12-packs on cruises before and just use a small suitcase on rollers to get around when first boarding. I'm 65 and don't have any problems with it. Pain in the butt? Sure, but would rather do that than take a chance with some burly longshoreman flinging the bag around and have a massive soda explosion.

Edited by Cushing985

Everytme i sail i have a light weight collapsible handtruck from harbor freight. It weighs about six pounds. I put all my water and soda on it and wheel them onto the ship. With four boys they could take turns. Also i am not sure if you said you take on goodies to eat but i thought outside food was not allowed.

Anyway don;t sweat it and happy sailing!!!

You're allowed to bring packaged food on board, like candy, chips, cookies, etc. What you're not allowed to do is take certain food items off of the ship, like fruits, vegetables, and most anything that's not in a sealed packaged, due to various agricultural laws in different ports.

Most airlines charge $25.00 (or more) per bag, so long as each bag does not weigh more than 50 lbs. For every bag over 50 lbs. there is an additional fee. We bring our own sodas because we are Diet Pepsi drinkers. Carnival only sells Coke products. It has nothing to do with what the ship charges. If Carnival sold Diet Pepsi, we'd probably consider buying the Bottomless Bubbles cards. But they don't, so we bring our own. All clear now?

Dh is a diet mtn dew guy. It's been a hassle for years to travel and be on the hunt for that stuff. I prefer diet rites - and they are super hard to find now = but I will drink anything diet when I have to.