Boarding Times

Happy People

The one tradition P&O have kept is not letting in your cabin till 2pm.

On most cruise lines your cabin is available as soon as embarkation begins.

I do understand the cabin staff have a hard job getting the cabins ready on embarkation. So what do the other cruise lines do differently to get round this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The one tradition P&O have kept is not letting in your cabin till 2pm.

I do understand the cabin staff have a hard job getting the cabins ready on embarkation. So what do the other cruise lines do differently to get round this?

Perhaps they get the stewards to prepare the cabins in the order in which the passengers are expected to arrive. If it is fly cruising this is just a matter of organisation as you know the flight times. Thomson for example do it all the time, your cabin is ready when you get to the ship.

Maybe P&O are just being lazy in how they organise things although this may change as they have indicated that they may introduce a cabins ready on boarding system, possibly restricted to select fare passengers!.

How many cabins does a steward look after? They have say 6 hours from 8 am to 2pm, perhaps 20 minutes per cabin. If so, they could have 12 cabins ready by noon.

Perhaps they get the stewards to prepare the cabins in the order in which the passengers are expected to arrive. If it is fly cruising this is just a matter of organisation as you know the flight times. Thomson for example do it all the time, your cabin is ready when you get to the ship.

Maybe P&O are just being lazy in how they organise things although this may change as they have indicated that they may introduce a cabins ready on boarding system, possibly restricted to select fare passengers!.

How many cabins does a steward look after? They have say 6 hours from 8 am to 2pm, perhaps 20 minutes per cabin. If so, they could have 12 cabins ready by noon.

Dave, on Arcadia in the Med this year, our cabin steward had 18 cabins, but had an offsider. But for sure on embarkation day they probably have a No.3.

It appears the norm on P&O UK these days.

Edited by NSWP

Dave, on Arcadia in the Med this year, our cabin steward had 18 cabins, but had an offsider. But for sure on embarkation day they probably have a No.3.

It appears the norm on P&O UK these days.

translate please :confused::confused::confused:

I know Fred's ship hold at most 1200, but on our last cruise on Oriana when we got back, there was noro on board and the new pax were not boarded until 4pm or later. There's certainly plenty of room in the terminal AFTER security in Ocean and the other terminals, apart from Mayflower. Personally I think it will happen to P&O as well.

There's certainly plenty of room in the terminal AFTER security in Ocean and the other terminals, apart from Mayflower. Personally I think it will happen to P&O as well.

I think you've got those round the wrong way, but whatever there certainly isn't enough room for 2000+ passengers.

I think you've got those round the wrong way, but whatever there certainly isn't enough room for 2000+ passengers.

Yes, no seating at all after security in Ocean terminal. If they wanted to process 2000 passengers in 2 hours that is 1000 per hour or 17 per minute! With Britannia having over 3600 passenger including kids that is 30 people per minute. At 15 people per minute it will take 4 hours. That is why they start boarding before noon.

Not from my experience on ships with quite a few different companies. On my last two RC they didn't allow access until 2pm - they actually closed the entrance's by the stairs. Same with Celebrity a couple of years back. On NCL this summer we got access at 1pm, others said they had to wait as late as 3pm. I think it all depends on how it goes on the day to be honest.

I think embarkation day for steward's is a complete nightmare. They work so hard and it's non stop.

Also consider that cleaning the cabin in this day is far more intense than on every other day as it's a full clean and also they don't know how the last visitors will leave it.

I think that P & O have quite cleverly sorted their caribbean cruises over the two days for joining and leaving (Friday and Saturday). They are fairly unique in this from my experience and it must make the workload far more manageable :)

I think that P & O have quite cleverly sorted their caribbean cruises over the two days for joining and leaving (Friday and Saturday). They are fairly unique in this from my experience and it must make the workload far more manageable :)

I think this is more to do with the availability of aircraft than the workload on the ship.

Brian

I think embarkation day for steward's is a complete nightmare. They work so hard and it's non stop.

Also consider that cleaning the cabin in this day is far more intense than on every other day as it's a full clean and also they don't know how the last visitors will leave it.

I agree, it's probably the most busy and tiring day they do.

I feel for them when you get people trying to get onboard and get to their cabins before they have finished, poor souls.

translate please :confused::confused::confused:

Sorry Dave, 'Offsider' Australian vernacular for Assistant or Helper Like... 'me and my offsider unloaded the truck.'

The Colonials have a habit of destroying the 'Queens English.' LOL.

Oo Roo.

Edited by NSWP

Just received E ticket for Oceana Christmas cruise 17th December from Southampton it states boarding time 14-00 hours do P&O stick to these times,?

we are stopping in a hotel previous night and we have to be out of the hotel 11-00 we do not feel like walking about Southampton as the weather might not be kind to us that time of the year,any info will be helpful.

:eek: :confused: :D

We usually plan to arrive at 12.30 and even then there are large queues so some people obviously arrive very early. Go and arrive when you're ready. P&O try to get the previous cruisers all off by 10 and even though cabin staff do an incredible job getting all their cabins cleaned and ready for the next lot of cruisers don't expect to get in straight away. That said there are plenty of places to sit and relax while you wait to be told cabins are ready. We've usually got papers and kindles to occupy us or if you have very light hand luggage walk around and get acquainted with your home from home!