Increase to the Alternative Dining charges

capnpugwash

Currently on QV and I can confirm it is also $15 for the Lido speciality restaurant on here.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Do you also have the Paper Laundry bags instead of the Linen ones as well.

We've sailed Crystal Cruises several times, and they have excellent alternative restaurants where the setting is beautiful and the food of excellent quality--and no charge.

So when we sailed for 90+ days on QM2, I was turned off by the charge and by the fact that it's a glorified cafeteria setting, adding a light screen between the diners and the endless foot traffic that uses King's Court as a hallway. Since we were receiving excellent service in Brittania Club, we never once used the alternative restaurants. We also sailed Queen Victoria and were fortunate to be upgraded to Queen's Grill. That being so great, there was no temptation to try alternative restaurants. So now that it's $15 per person, I'm sure I won't use it on our next sailing.

If it were as nice as other ships' alternative restaurants, I would not resent the charge.

I've never tried the alternative Kings Court/Lido dining. Is it worth it?

I've dined at the specialty restaurant the Verandah on QE. That was certainly worth the extra.

We found that on the QV it most definately was worth the upcharge. Only on the QM2 did I find it to be worth that in Lotus.

and only a few years ago there was no additional charge...
Ah, the good old days when you didn't have to print out your ticket and luggage tags yourself. And Cunard even mailed you a large, not-really-leather wallet in which to carry your ticket, itinerary, passport, etc.

Ah, the good old days when you didn't have to print out your ticket and luggage tags yourself. And Cunard even mailed you a large, not-really-leather wallet in which to carry your ticket, itinerary, passport, etc.

Unfortunately, most (if not all) cruise lines are following the airlines "buisiness model". Just a few years behind.

Edited by Jim Avery

and only a few years ago there was no additional charge...

I wonder: will dissatisfaction with the food and service in Britannia Dining Room drive passengers to additional cost venues, where the waiters are experienced and the food is better?

As fares are reduced, revenue will be found - one way or another. -S.

Everyone wants cheaper fares, but seems to want to keep all the perks that traditionally came with pricier fares.

Can't have our cake and eat it too.

Everyone wants cheaper fares, but seems to want to keep all the perks that traditionally came with pricier fares.

Can't have our cake and eat it too.

Whilst they have full ships they will continue to try and increase profit margins; print your own luggage labels, charge for buses for those that didn't book full fare, increase charges for dining options etc etc.

The dining one is a tricky one if the main standard falls and passengers feel they have to pay more for good quality then they start to add that to the cost of the cruise and the luxury cruises start to become more competitive. The all inclusive option on some of the luxury cruises becomes more attractive. Passengers like to know how much it is all going to cost without trying to factor in add on's. What looks like a bargain may turn out to be not such a bargain.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's very true. The trouble with that type of business model is that it becomes it becomes circular. People want ever cheaper fares. They get it (airlines, cruises lines, etc), and then they moan about cost cutting.

So it odd; the cruise lines give people what they demand and then those same people moan about it. But you can equally blame the cruise lines as well. They have chosen this business model.

As an aside (but it's still related), I find goods and services have split into two camps; cheap and poor quality or very expensive but very good quality. The bit in the middle seems to have disappeared. It's especially true with the goods we buy; it's either cheap rubbish for China or if it's UK made then it's high quality with a very high price tag - i.e. there is no middle ground.

That's very true. The trouble with that type of business model is that it becomes it becomes circular. People want ever cheaper fares. They get it (airlines, cruises lines, etc), and then they moan about cost cutting.

So it odd; the cruise lines give people what they demand and then those same people moan about it. But you can equally blame the cruise lines as well. They have chosen this business model.

As an aside (but it's still related), I find goods and services have split into two camps; cheap and poor quality or very expensive but very good quality. The bit in the middle seems to have disappeared. It's especially true with the goods we buy; it's either cheap rubbish for China or if it's UK made then it's high quality with a very high price tag - i.e. there is no middle ground.

That's true in Australia too, especially with men's clothing.

The problem for Cunard is that there simply isn't a big enou real luxury cruising market out there. If they went really full service I think they'd struggle to fill their ships in a really big way.

But if they go too far the other way, they risk losing what Cunard is meant to be: understated luxury cruising.

Difficult situation.

We're trying to buy a glass dining table and cannot see anything we like in the furniture stores.

As a result we are looking online and it is as you say. A large selection of very cheap tables (around £400) which will probably look as if we have shopped in Argos or (my particular favourite of course) over £3000 :eek::eek::eek:.

Edited by CABINET

I actually still use my "leatherett" wallet for cruises.

I actually still use my "leatherett" wallet for cruises.

I recall on our first cruise we had said leatherette wallet. On the last cruise we did (last year), they delivered one to our cabin towards the end of the voyage. They must have a job lot and are trying to get rid of them.

Actually, I suppose you could always dissolve them by dropping them in a bath of Pol Acker (just like John Haigh) !

I find that's very true in the UK for shoes. Either £20 a pair or several hundred pounds and very little between the two extremes.

There is a broad enough range for men's shoes in Australia. Not that I've seen anything I like in nearly a year. But I'm willing to pay around the $1k mark to get good quality.

Bit like cruising really. I find I get what I pay for with Cunard. More than Princess to cruise but I get a better experience.

Same with my airlines of choice.

Interesting discussion - but as almost any cruising holiday for us runs into multiple thousands of dollars ( regardless of the cruiseline) , I cannot get too concerned about a $5 increase in a discretionary purchase item :)

We did do one of the QM2 Kings Court evening addon extras-- it was an Indian cuisine demonstration, and was well an truly worth the additional 10 Pounds?Dollars/whatever??