Westerdam's Captain Goes A Little Crazy With The Horn

Spaniel Lover

I love it! I'll be on the Westerdam in January, and I'm looking forward to the exuberant departure :D

In order to prevent possible disappointment, it does depend on who the Master of the ship is. Some are more "expressive" of the joy of sailing than others.

Topsham,

Thank you for your reply to my question. I respect your experience as well as your artistic ability.

Thanks yours too. I love the sound of horns as much as everyone else... I really do. Just in the way it is supposed to be.

Stephen

After 6 to 8 fun toots I turn the sound off. The amount that the W does is simply childish IMO.

The horn blowing on W is one of the reasons that we chose the Nieuw A for our next cruise.

Well, bad news my friend, the N.A. did huge long blasts today - at least 6 :)

and I do mean LONG.

I choose the Westerdam over the NA myself and not because of horn blowing, there is a lot more to a cruise than a few toots :)

It is a port pilot taking her out though isn't it? I'm thinking that they have ultimate say in the audio festivities and must be condoning the fun?

Just thinking out loud as I'm packing for our Saturday Westerdam voyage and looking forward to some lightheartedness...

Carla

It is a port pilot taking her out though isn't it? I'm thinking that they have ultimate say in the audio festivities and must be condoning the fun?

Just thinking out loud as I'm packing for our Saturday Westerdam voyage and looking forward to some lightheartedness...

Carla

Good point Carla - and I do think going out of Port Everglades is a lot different than a real scenario.

It's all in fun and I think fun is ok leaving port, but that's just me :)

I really don't think Holland America minds that this captain has given his ship some personality and infamy.:D It's a very sad world if you can't have some fun, even in the most uptight business. And even the most uptight business appreciates the attention something out of the ordinary brings. Where is the harm, after all.

It's a very sad world if you can't have some fun, even in the most uptight business.
Some fun, yes. I liked the Disney "tunes" when we were on the Dream, and a dozen or so short monotone toots in a variety of patterns would be fun to me. What I object to is the extreme that is done on the Westerdam.

Those of us who have spent some time at sea in a professional capacity cringe at the actions of this Captain. Topsham has stated it very well. There are regulations such as the International Rules of the Road that all ships must adhere to for safe navigation on inland and international waters. Here is Rule 80.35: "Rule prohibiting unnecessary sounding of the whistle.-Unnecessary sounding of the whistle is prohibited within any harbor limits of the United States. Whenever any licensed officer in charge of any vessel shall authorize or permit such unnecessary whistling, such officer may be proceeded against in accordance with the provisions of R.S. 4450, as amended, looking to a revocation or suspension of his license."

This is from an old copy of Knight's Modern Seamanship which I had to study to qualify as Officer of the Deck for Independent Steaming years ago in my Navy career.

Those of us who have spent some time at sea in a professional capacity cringe at the actions of this Captain. Topsham has stated it very well. There are regulations such as the International Rules of the Road that all ships must adhere to for safe navigation on inland and international waters. Here is Rule 80.35: "Rule prohibiting unnecessary sounding of the whistle.-Unnecessary sounding of the whistle is prohibited within any harbor limits of the United States. Whenever any licensed officer in charge of any vessel shall authorize or permit such unnecessary whistling, such officer may be proceeded against in accordance with the provisions of R.S. 4450, as amended, looking to a revocation or suspension of his license."

This is from an old copy of Knight's Modern Seamanship which I had to study to qualify as Officer of the Deck for Independent Steaming years ago in my Navy career.

OK, we get that you are cringing and you don't like it. However, why rain on the parade of those who do? Many do enjoy it, and I guess HAL is OK with it. The coastguards have not complained as far as we know. So again, I suggest that if you find it is against regulations or your simply hate it - contact HAL.

In 2013 on a Hawaii/South Pacific RT San Diego this captain was awarded a plaque for the "Best Horn Tooter" in the fleet. It is now located I believe on Main Deck where you board the tender, check it out next time you are on the ship.

There are now 2 more making a total of 3 and looks like a 4th one is in the works......:D:D

Fantastic. The Captain lives a few miles away from us here in the UK. I may well buy him a pint should we meet. :D

I hope you do and buy him one from me too.:) Really enjoyed meeting him on our last cruise.

OK, we get that you are cringing and you don't like it. However, why rain on the parade of those who do? Many do enjoy it, and I guess HAL is OK with it. The coastguards have not complained as far as we know. So again, I suggest that if you find it is against regulations or your simply hate it - contact HAL.

No one's raining on anyone's parade. The OP asked if we found it excessive or all in good fun. Some of us are answering the former. :rolleyes: This is, after all, a discussion board. It's not an agreement board.

Fantastic. The Captain lives a few miles away from us here in the UK. I may well buy him a pint should we meet. :D

Would that I could buy him a pint or three. He sent us off Saturday November 8th with a rousing series of toots and that, combined with the cheering from the condos, made for a very memorable sailaway on our first cruise.

Cheers, Captain.

If the port authorities, Coast Guard, and local residents aren't complaining about it, then more power to the captain for having a bit of fun, even if it's not strictly within the rules. And it's a far cry from what caused the Concordia disaster.

100% agree! Sailaways are meant to be festive. What is the harm?

The Pilot is on board; he/she is most certainly not going to allow something terrible to happen while the ship is within the port's jurisdiction.

Given the length of time that the Westerdam has been named "Queen of Horns", which will continue, I think, and if Stein Kruse, Micky Arison, Arnold Donald, or any other Carnival Corporation and related Companies executives objected, it would have ended a long time ago.

Truly, I respect the "purists" for wanting to follow the rules. But, there are times when "rules need to be broken". Sailaway time from Port Everlgades is one of them.

Would that I could buy him a pint or three. He sent us off Saturday November 8th with a rousing series of toots and that, combined with the cheering from the condos, made for a very memorable sailaway on our first cruise.

Cheers, Captain.

Doesn't this say it all, what a nice way to start your first cruise.:):):)