Kids dress code question on Ruby Princess

Aelsantokie

I searched for "kids dress code" and although there were threads on adult dress code, I couldn't find any for kids.

This is the first time we will be cruising on Princess and my kids are ages 13, 10,10,10,10 and 2 (turning 3 on the cruise). How dressed up are the kids on this particular ship?

We mostly cruise on Carnival and wear suits to polo shirts to khakis. Depending on the boys moods. It's easier with a girl, a pretty dress in the realm of Easter-esque dress usually fits the bill, but the one time we did Disney Fantasy, the boys were in suit and tie and to my surprise they were the only ones that I saw that was in a suit and tie. Most were in regular t shirts, and random polo and khaki wearers. They felt uncomfortably overdressed.

Could someone enlighten me as to what to expect on a Thanksgiving cruise on a Western Caribbean on Ruby Princess? :):):)

Edited by Aelsantokie
wanted to add more information

The suggested dress code for kids on Princess is the same as for adults. It is much less likely that a child will not be seated because of it.

It varies cruise by cruise, but for formal nights I've seen 13s or so in suits, 10s in shirt and tie or shirt and jacket most commonly.. I've also seen them in polos even though parents are wearing tuxes and gowns.

4 10 year olds? You have my sympathies in about 3 years.

Polos and khakis for the boys will be fine most nights.

Formal nights are a different story. Boys should be fine with nice khakis but will at a minimum need long sleeve collared shirts. You can go up from there.

I've seen boys on formal nights in suits and even tuxedos but not very often.

You will see all kinds of dress on formal night, and not just among the children. I would suggest that you find something they already own rather than go shopping, but a pair of slacks and long sleeved shirt for the boys, a pretty dress for the girls should be fine. Some children love getting fancied up, others would rather be strung up by their thumbs. Make it something they are (relatively) comfortable wearing and you are relatively comfortable showing up with. Shorts and a tee shirt should be a definite no in the dining rooms on formal night (any night actually) for any age, but you will see that attire all over the ship outside of the dining rooms.

Edited by cherylandtk

I would think a nice long sleeve shirt and nice slacks will be fine for the boys on formal nights and polo shirts/tropical shirts and dockers/nice jeans for smart casual. Girls can wear nice dresses on formal night (no need to go long) and sun dresses or even sparkly shirts/nice jeans on smart causal nights. Think of what you'll want them to wear at a nice wedding or older relative's birthday celebration for formal and restaurant for smart casual.

Another option would be to take them for a pizza or a hot dog on the lido deck (by the pools) on formal nights and take them to the kids' program when it opens at 7 (sometimes the program will have "kids's dinners" on formal or other nights at the Horizon so that parents can have dinner sans kids. You'll still have to keep your 2-year-old with you (usually the age at the beginning of the cruise counts for the kids' program so don't expect him/her to be able to be a "Pelican" on this cruise). I don't think they'll expect you to dress a toddler for the dress code, but some parents will put a tux or fancy dress on the little ones. Maybe those who go on cruises a lot or take them to all sorts of occasions.

For others, at the rate they grew, it's not really practical unless you can find clothes at used clothing shops or someone gives you a hand-me-down. We have gone to Goodwill to find outfits for plays my daughter has been in, especially when she was at the I-don't-like-dresses age and that's what she needed to wear on stage. For a couple of cruises, she did prefer the Horizon Court or pizzeria and then going to the kids' program so that's what she did (we figure kids work so hard at school, they deserve the vacation they want). She did have skirt outfits that she needed for recitals that I would pack. Last cruise she was 15 and felt like dressing up more (she's been buying some of her clothes with her allowance, and sometimes includes skirts or dresses), even though her style probably wouldn't be some people's cup of tea.:)

And I do feel for you with kids about to hit that age soon enough. Especially four of them at one time.

We will be on the same cruise with our 5yo boy. We have cruised with him every year since he was born. I dress him up for formal nights - suit, tie, vest, etc. But for regular nights he is in play clothes (shorts/t-shirt) at dinner. Never had problems being turned away from MDR.

As he gets older we are planning to go a bit more formal (long pants and polos) but not yet.

Enjoy your cruise!

None of your kids should wear shorts in the MDR for dinner on any night. They are certainly different than a 5 year old. You mention suits, khakis etc for your Carnival cruises. All would be the same on Princess. However, there are even some grown men who don't bother with a jacket on formal nights. I personally wouldn't pack jackets for the boys unless they really want them. A dress shirt and tie on formal nights would look great on a 10 year old. Girls in any little dress works. I certainly would have them repeat those dressy outfits to avoid overpacking. Don't worry. Do whatever...if anyone looks at you for more than a second, it will be in awe!:D

Edited by eandj