Dining -- does this sound right to anyone?

descotes

We booked an April 2016 on Granduer back in September and we were able to choose early or late seating

This is where I think some people are getting "Blind sided" without realising it.

Everyone's booking is individual to them but everyone thinks their booking is the same as everyone else,s!

MTD only is available for some but full choice for others ? even when a cruise is booked many many months ahead especially with there being no real possibility of all traditional dinning places being full that far out! dinning options have always been "First come best dressed" This is now clearly not the case as it should be;)

I thought the dining rooms were able to accommodate every passenger, as long as it was early or late dining. That's the way it always was before they started MTD. Are they now allowing more than the normal amount of passengers that the ship can handle? The ships are the same size they were originally, unless they added more cabins during a dry dock situation, which I know has happened in some cases.

We were just placed on MTD for a cruise booked for September next year. I know I will get my early dining eventually, just seems stupid not to give it to me when I book. Maybe the agents get an incentive for telling the guests that the only available dining is MTD. Then if the guest excepts that, without wanting traditional dining or being put on a wait list, the agent gets their "incentive". Just a thought.

Gwen :)

I thought the dining rooms were able to accommodate every passenger, as long as it was early or late dining. That's the way it always was before they started MTD. Are they now allowing more than the normal amount of passengers that the ship can handle?

On the ships we have been on, MTD uses existing dining room space. For example on our recent Rhapsody cruises traditional was on Deck 4 and MTD on Deck 5. Prior to MTD being introduced, both deck 4 & 5 were for traditional dining. So same tables/chairs, just allocated differently.

On the ships we have been on, MTD uses existing dining room space. For example on our recent Rhapsody cruises traditional was on Deck 4 and MTD on Deck 5. Prior to MTD being introduced, both deck 4 & 5 were for traditional dining. So same tables/chairs, just allocated differently.

But the gist of cruzinlady1947 comments are correct!

If it is a mix of Trad and MTD why are Trad places being denied to those who want it and book far in advance enough to know its not full? The ship has the same number of passengers no matter what dining option they choose!

In the beginning early Trad was always popular with those who wanted to see all the shows with late Trad playing second fiddle, early was always the first to become waitlisted.

MTD gave early diners a great choice without fear of being stuck with late dining if they booked a late cruise, so MTD became more popular than early Trad and obviously more popular than late Trad.

Why all of a sudden is there so many places available with MTD when in the past MTD was the first to be waitlisted? Why is Trad Dining filling so fast that bookers cant secure a place a year and a half out?

Two reasons! 1 The GFC caused many new cruisers to remove their grats with many more experienced cruisers removing grats in protest on principal of RCIs introduction of non personal "Auto Grats.

2 RCI wants to secure pre paid grats from 100% of future new cruisers so they introduce Dynamic Dining as a future way forward and deny some experienced loyal cruisers their full choice in dining by offering MTD places only just to secure their pre paid grats and get them used to pre paying grats:)

Edited by fishtaco

I booked a cruise today for March of 2016 and was told by my TA that the only available dining was MyTime Dining.

Seems strange that a cruise that far out -- with so many available rooms that I had a choice of -- would have that as the only option for dining.

Yes, I've heard of it. Seems like people are reporting it more and more.

Could it be a heads up that Dynamic Dining will be coming to more ships? Let the speculation begin, LOL. :D

I agree that there does seem to be a big push to prepaid grats.

The idea that they to not want OBC's to be used for grats is very logical along with improvement of their cash flow but getting the money sooner.

We may also soon see OBC's targeted. Princess had a promotion with an OBC that is only good for shorex. We may see that spreading to RCI.

I have a question - when travel agents book a large number of cabins to sell at a group rate or organizations that will be organizing group cruises for their members and also book a large number of cabins can they also select what dining they want? For example an organization books 600 cabins for their members that wish to go, can they also select early seating for all 600 cabins? Then if the group (TA or Organization) doesn't sell all their cabins in the allotted time, the unsold cabins, along with the dining selected returns to inventory. Would that explain why 1-2 years out some dining room seatings aren't available, but become available later?

I have a question - when travel agents book a large number of cabins to sell at a group rate or organizations that will be organizing group cruises for their members and also book a large number of cabins can they also select what dining they want? For example an organization books 600 cabins for their members that wish to go, can they also select early seating for all 600 cabins? Then if the group (TA or Organization) doesn't sell all their cabins in the allotted time, the unsold cabins, along with the dining selected returns to inventory. Would that explain why 1-2 years out some dining room seatings aren't available, but become available later?

It is possible if its semi charter but why are those group bookings not choosing MTD? With group bookings I have done through a T/A I have still been given a choice of dining option same as cabin type.

Its only Traditional that seems to be full way out?

It works the exact same way with individual cabins booked then cancelled.

50 MTD 50% Traditional dining, we would have to believe that on a 50% booked cruise all bookers have chosen Traditional for there to be no Traditional places available. On a much much less than 50% booked cruise far out how is it possible?

We are only guessing but the reason we are guessing is because CC is a cruise community with cruiseline specific sub communities and collectively we can see something is not normal practice :)

Edited by fishtaco

Could it be a heads up that Dynamic Dining will be coming to more ships? Let the speculation begin, LOL. :D

That speculation has been around for a while on many threads:)

My thoughts are that RCI will eventually go DD on all ships that can accommodate DD and MTD only with some DD choices on all the other ships in the fleet and Traditional dining being abolished or phased out.

New younger cruisers want DD and MTD so the future for RCI is no Traditional dining which will in turn require all cruisers to pre pay Grats for the privilege.

P&O in Australia went all MTD some years ago and the newer cruisers have no idea there was once only Traditional 2 seat dining available with no nightly buffet or specialty as a choice.

You cant miss what you have not experienced :)

Edited by fishtaco

To those that have booked a cruise and were only given the option of MTD and are unhappy with that and would prefer to be seated at either Early or Late Traditional Dining send an email to:rcldining@rccl.com.

Provide your reservation number and the names of the passengers on the reservation. Explain that you were disappointed that you do not have a confirmed spot in whichever dining seating you would like. Ask them to PLEASE see if they can arrange to have you 'confirmed' for the dinner seating you would like.

Probably a few days after you send in your email, you will get a positive reply.

I did call my TA back and ask about it and it was interesting she said that with the MTD (for this cruise) I wouldn't have to prepay my grats. Not sure if that's what they're moving toward but that would be good or maybe that's how it works with the Dynamic Dining. I had my TA waitlist me for traditional dining anyway.

Is it possible you were signed up for MyFAMILYTime dining? With MFT you don't prepay.

Since I have never cruised with small children, I would never have known about it.....to make it easy for others.....here is a little synopsis, from the link that Bob provided.

My Family Time Dining® -

Opt for My Family Time Dining® in our main dining room, and your kids will be served right away before Adventure Ocean® staff pick them up for a night of fun. Parents stay behind to relax and continue their meal.

Details

My Family Time Dining is offered for the first seating time in our main dining room, for children ages three to 11. Kids enjoy their meal within 40 minutes of seating, before heading to the evening's Adventure Ocean activities. The program starts the second evening you're onboard. After that, you can use it each evening or whenever you wish.

I think they force you into MTD initially for the prepaids. You should be able to switch over down the road. Give it a month or so

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Not only do I think that they are trying to force pre-paid gratuities in order to get the money a couple of months in advance, I think they are more interested in keeping folks from using OBC to cover the charges. I'm sure that they would rather you use OBC to cover a $9.00 charge for a drink that only cost RCI about $0.50.

The money goes into their bank when you do you final payment which is indeed sooner than if you were to pay your gratuities on the ship, not when you book - that's a little consolation.

However, I'm convinced it's because they don't want you to use your OBC to pay for gratutiies. If you use OBC to pay your tips, RCL must outlay the full amount to the waiters etc. If you buy a bottle of booze, the cost of that product is a lot less than what you pay. If I were RCL I'd rather you use your $150 OBC to buy something that cost me $75 rather than give the $150 to staff.

I am sure that Royal doesn't want gratuities being paid for with OBC's (as you delineate) and they have clearly found a way to do that with 'pre-paying tips' with the final payment.

Tips should not be prepaid with final payment....they should be 'after the service is delivered' -- Royal would 'anger' cruisers if they said however that OBC's could only be used towards merchandise or product purchases.

Do they really need to do a dry dock to convert what is basically a menu change

It is not simply a menu change from what we understand. It is breaking down the dining room into separate restaurants with different themes/décor and menus each.

There will be several restaurants to choose from that are included in the cruise fare, and then specialty restaurants (as there are now) that come with an extra cost.

It does seem as if there needs to be some time for 'some type of remodeling' to be done -- therefore in dry dock.

They seem to want to partition off the different restaurants.

In a perfect world, but I thought the Oasis was still open in the center. Any 3 tier Dining Room, Freedom/Voyager, would work with that.

Off topic if that isn't what the OP somehow got....

Opt for My Family Time Dining® in our main dining room, and your kids will be served right away before Adventure Ocean® staff pick them up for a night of fun. Parents stay behind to relax and continue their meal.

My Family Time Dining is offered for the first seating time in our main dining room, for children ages three to 11. Kids enjoy their meal within 40 minutes of seating, before heading to the evening's Adventure Ocean activities. The program starts the second evening you're onboard. After that, you can use it each evening or whenever you wish.

What's funny is that none of that happened when we signed up for it. Or maybe not funny? Not sure. We've never gotten to take advantage of Disney's later seating kids-leave-early dining, either. Just doesn't seem to work out.