Westerdam From a Wide-Eyed First Timer

Shellback801

The suspense is killing me :) I feel sorry for you and your late camera, but your writing makes me smile every third sentence. If you'd find a publisher I'd order "Wide-Eyed First Timer/Cruising on Westerdam", "Wide-Eyed First Timer/Safaris in Zimbabwe", "Wide-Eyed First Timer/Visiting Japan" and the rest of the series immediately. :D

Thank you for your kind words. I was going to write one more installment about how we we the last group to debark, how I watched one of our Favorite Bartenders in the World prepare his station for the next group of cruisers, and how Pam and I were a little misty-eyed walking the gangway to that wretched terminal and onward to 20F and snow, but I just could not do it.

I will report if our pics are saved. I may even post a few. Be grateful the camera died before I saw the guy in the thong on Half Moon Cay.

I wish that I could answer you. I relied upon my camera, not my notebook, to capture those experiences. I am still waiting to hear if the lab in NJ can save my images.

Is some of your work aboard?

unless things have changed, there are definitely some lovely pieces by Captain Card on board :)

I love his colours and touches.

The suspense is killing me :) I feel sorry for you and your late camera, but your writing makes me smile every third sentence. If you'd find a publisher I'd order "Wide-Eyed First Timer/Cruising on Westerdam", "Wide-Eyed First Timer/Safaris in Zimbabwe", "Wide-Eyed First Timer/Visiting Japan" and the rest of the series immediately. :D

This forum really needs a Like button... Or at least a "Me Too!" :)

Shellback80, I am REALLY enjoying your review!!!!!:p

Joanie, Very good information on how to order a truly rare steak! Thank you!:D

Also love our veranda but not as much I see that you do! Ha! Wanted to tell you that a few months ago, I was searching for cabin photos on various cruise lines and I stumbled upon a photo of a mattress on a veranda! I am sure that is a big no-no but it was their solution to a crowded stateroom! Thought you'd get a chuckle out this.;)

Joanie, Very good information on how to order a truly rare steak! Thank you!:D

Also love our veranda but not as much I see that you do! Ha! Wanted to tell you that a few months ago, I was searching for cabin photos on various cruise lines and I stumbled upon a photo of a mattress on a veranda! I am sure that is a big no-no but it was their solution to a crowded stateroom! Thought you'd get a chuckle out this.;)

Thank you, MishelleMcc, for giving me opportunity to credit Joanie. When I tried to quote her here there was so much HTML flying around that I bolted from the room.

I will definitely employ those steak-ordering strategies on our next cruise on HAL.

I wish that I could answer you. I relied upon my camera, not my notebook, to capture those experiences. I am still waiting to hear if the lab in NJ can save my images.

Is some of your work aboard?

Yes... forward staircase the 3 large paintings of WESTERDAM, then WESTERDIJK, WESTERNLAND and PRINSES MARGRIET.

Now here is the question.... Did you find my cat?

Stephen

unless things have changed, there are definitely some lovely pieces by Captain Card on board :)

I love his colours and touches.

Thanks Jacqui.

Did you ever the find cat either? Some either never found him of were too embarassed to mention! ;)

Stephen

Thank you for your kind words. I was going to write one more installment about how we we the last group to debark, how I watched one of our Favorite Bartenders in the World prepare his station for the next group of cruisers, and how Pam and I were a little misty-eyed walking the gangway to that wretched terminal and onward to 20F and snow, but I just could not do it.

I will report if our pics are saved. I may even post a few. Be grateful the camera died before I saw the guy in the thong on Half Moon Cay.

We need to know why you were the last group to debark, what's so special about bartenders preparing for other people besides our Wide-Eyed hero, and the Mystery of the Gangway. You cannot just leave us with a cliffhanger for the rest of our lives. That's cruel and totally not how HAL passengers are supposed to behave!

Yes... forward staircase the 3 large paintings of WESTERDAM, then WESTERDIJK, WESTERNLAND and PRINSES MARGRIET.

Stephen

Do tell. We will be on Westerdam for the first time in January. After reading all about the ship here, getting very excited.

Now about the cat. Is there one on every ship or just on Westerdam?

Thank you, MishelleMcc, for giving me opportunity to credit Joanie. When I tried to quote her here there was so much HTML flying around that I bolted from the room.

I will definitely employ those steak-ordering strategies on our next cruise on HAL.

After reading Joanie's suggestion a while back, I did order the steak 'blue' on our last cruise. The steak came to the table walking behind the diningroom steward.;)

And it was absolutely delicious.

Thanks Jacqui.

Did you ever the find cat either? Some either never found him of were too embarassed to mention! ;)

Stephen

Mais oui, monsieur! One of the things I truly enjoy is exploring the art on the ships - especially yours. I have to say, you have a lot of pieces on the Prinsendam that always make me smile.

I'm not saying any more on the cat :o I'll let you do the telling.;)

Stephen

No, I did not find your cat (nor did I know to look for one) but I do remember that landing and those paintings. It was difficult picture to take - I took them as a group - and the pic will certainly not capture the details should it survive.

Thank you for giving me a reason to sail her again, Captain.

I did, however, manage to make it home with a cap.

DSCF0005_zps45bfca6a.jpg

I really enjoyed your review and fun comments. I am glad your wife overcame her seasickness after a few days. As a son of a WWII combat veteran I wanted to thank you for your service after seeing all your hats from the ships you served on.

We need to know why you were the last group to debark, what's so special about bartenders preparing for other people besides our Wide-Eyed hero, and the Mystery of the Gangway. You cannot just leave us with a cliffhanger for the rest of our lives. That's cruel and totally not how HAL passengers are supposed to behave!

We were the last group to debark because I had apparently neglected to click a box on our reservation (this, according to a fellow cruiser with questionable experience). We were 3/Black or Black/3, the last group called to shore. It didn't matter, really, because our flight to the west wasn't until 15:45 and we were not in any real hurry to get back to the snow at any rate. We were off of the ship by 11:00 and at FLL by noon.

Watching one of my Favorite Bartenders in the World prepare his bar for passengers that did not include myself was most certainly an emotional experience. It was how I spent my last 30 minutes aboard the ship. When they called our number I shook his hand and walked down to the the gangway. Of course I was emotional. I am just glad he didn't see me cry. When we finally boarded the flight to our layover airport I ordered a G&T. All I could think was, "______ would have made it better."

As for "behaving as HAL passengers are supposed to behave," I am of the opinion that we sit comfortably within in their target group. Although we are still ambulatory, we do tend to go to bed early and thoroughly enjoy fussing about food. We do occasionally snicker at the odd formal night faux pas, which may well cost us a few points, but I can see that second star coming our way very soon.

What cabin were you in Shellback? We're on the 11/29 sailing and are in 5112 mid ship. I heard the balcony is not as deep as other decks (4.5' vs. 6.0'). Did you find it to be a tight fit with 2 chairs and a table?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Shellback801 what a WONDERFUL review you have written, many thanks. When I forced my DH to go on his 1st he was sure it was going to be just like those "gray boats" he sailed in the 70s. Took him all of 2 hours to get over that idea. :D Hopefully on your next cruise Pam will have her sea legs from day 1 onward.

Stephen

Stephen

Okay, somebody PLEASE PLEASE tell the full story about the "cat". I really thought I followed pretty much of what has been written here on this board but obviously I've missed something. We spent 14 days on the Westy and a "cat" was not anything anyone ever mentioned to us. Please, inquiring minds want to know!

Deval there are facts and figures out on http://halfacts.com/ about those balconies.

Whoops, just looked at halfacts and there is a picture of your stateroom DEVAL. It does look a bit tight if the chairs fact straight out but turning them slightly would probably help.

Edited by larsen

What cabin were you in Shellback? We're on the 11/29 sailing and are in 5112 mid ship. I heard the balcony is not as deep as other decks (4.5' vs. 6.0'). Did you find it to be a tight fit with 2 chairs and a table?

5078. I did not think it a tight fit - more like cozy - until the very last night when I visited friends staying in a Signature Suite. Avoid deck 8 and you'll be just fine. :)

Thanks again for the great review, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and many of the subsequent comments. You breaking with the HAL passenger tradition of getting off the ship as quickly as possible was particularly amusing. :)

On our upcoming cruise, I intend to stay on the ship until someone tells me I have to leave. :D Our return flight isnt until 6:30 and I'd rather spend some of my time waiting on the ship than in the FLL airport. How late can you actually hang around? Is there something you need to do to ensure your in the last group?

Thanks again for the great review, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and many of the subsequent comments. You breaking with the HAL passenger tradition of getting off the ship as quickly as possible was particularly amusing. :)

On our upcoming cruise, I intend to stay on the ship until someone tells me I have to leave. :D Our return flight isnt until 6:30 and I'd rather spend some of my time waiting on the ship than in the FLL airport. How late can you actually hang around? Is there something you need to do to ensure your in the last group?

We always choose the latest disembarkation from the ship that we can. I believe it is "Black".

Hubby will correct me if I am wrong, but in everyone of our experiences on HAL, the directions we have received with our Black Luggage Tags says latest disembarkation is either 9:30am for Neptune Suites and 9:00 am for SS, SY and SZ Staterooms

Disembarkation as the last passengers (or nearly the last) means that we have no problem finding all of our luggage, porter to help us out to qrab a taxi, etc.

We always have Room Service breakfast served (around 7:00 am) on our verandah on disembarkation day and it is wonderful to take our time and not stress over anything. Then we sit back and just relax on our verandah, which allows our Stewards to come in and get 99.99% of their work done and the Stateroom prepared for the next guests.until it is time for us to disembark.

Some CC members will accuse those of us who do the late disembarkation of delaying their embarkation. In fact this is not true as long as you are off the ship by the latest time specified.

Take your time and relax. Why ruin a Great Cruise:)

Joanie

5078. I did not think it a tight fit - more like cozy - until the very last night when I visited friends staying in a Signature Suite. Avoid deck 8 and you'll be just fine. :)

This is what I thought we'd have until two days ago when we received an upsell offer. Now we are on deck 7 in a Neptune. OMG, am I excited! :D

We were the last group to debark because I had apparently neglected to click a box on our reservation (this, according to a fellow cruiser with questionable experience). We were 3/Black or Black/3, the last group called to shore. It didn't matter, really, because our flight to the west wasn't until 15:45 and we were not in any real hurry to get back to the snow at any rate. We were off of the ship by 11:00 and at FLL by noon.

Watching one of my Favorite Bartenders in the World prepare his bar for passengers that did not include myself was most certainly an emotional experience. It was how I spent my last 30 minutes aboard the ship. When they called our number I shook his hand and walked down to the the gangway. Of course I was emotional. I am just glad he didn't see me cry. When we finally boarded the flight to our layover airport I ordered a G&T. All I could think was, "______ would have made it better."

As for "behaving as HAL passengers are supposed to behave," I am of the opinion that we sit comfortably within in their target group. Although we are still ambulatory, we do tend to go to bed early and thoroughly enjoy fussing about food. We do occasionally snicker at the odd formal night faux pas, which may well cost us a few points, but I can see that second star coming our way very soon.

Have to say, I've enjoyed your review so much :)

Good for you for being able to hang on until the last disembarkation.

For me, I find things get busy and 'sense' the need to get off. We usually get off by 9:00 at the latest and go wherever we are headed.

Don't know if I could hang on until the end. Kudos to you :)