NCL turnover

Jancruz

Having sailed a few times with NCL, and now having two upcoming O bookings, we are interested in getting some added perq's based on our past travels.

I am definitely not interested in the discussions about the VP of this and that, nor the relative merits of the two lines sheet thread count, but I would like some "insider" info, not speculation, about how the two frequent traveller programs will integrate. I realize this is probably premature since NCL and PCI are still at the stage where they are consolidating senior executives but if anyone has some good info, I would be glad to hear that.

Thanks, folks.

Having sailed a few times with NCL, and now having two upcoming O bookings, we are interested in getting some added perq's based on our past travels.

I am definitely not interested in the discussions about the VP of this and that, nor the relative merits of the two lines sheet thread count, but I would like some "insider" info, not speculation, about how the two frequent traveller programs will integrate. I realize this is probably premature since NCL and PCI are still at the stage where they are consolidating senior executives but if anyone has some good info, I would be glad to hear that.

Thanks, folks.

Back when the takeover, buyout or whatever was announced they said there will not be a merger of loyalty programs

But I am sure in time that may change

Everything at this point in time is speculation until it is in black & white

One change (perhaps sooner than later) that will result from consolidation could be a change in the production shows.

For years, Norwegian used the Jean Anne Ryan troupe also; a few years ago, they dumped their contract and formed their own "studio" for song and dance shows, emulating the formula. (2 boy/2 girl featured singers, plus 4 boy/4 girl dancers).

I would not be surprised to see that in-house troupe replace the present arrangement.

If there is going to be a change, I would imagine it would take place at the expiration of Oceania's contract with JAR. That could be fairly soon, or it could be a couple of years down the road.

Thanks, folks.

Agree with LHT28. Mr. Sheehan has already said that they are not looking at combining loyalty programs. This makes sense since Regent and Oceania management (that are still in place) looked at some type of merging of the loyalty programs and it simply did not make sense (Regent and Oceania have been sister companies for 6 or 7 years). So, at least in the foreseeable future, is doubtful if there will be any sharing of loyalty programs.

For years, Norwegian used the Jean Anne Ryan troupe also; a few years ago, they dumped their contract and formed their own "studio" for song and dance shows, emulating the formula. (2 boy/2 girl featured singers, plus 4 boy/4 girl dancers).

And was this change an improvement, or not? My experiences with Jean Anne Ryan have been fairly good.

And was this change an improvement, or not? My experiences with Jean Anne Ryan have been fairly good.

NCL had very good shows and still does IMO. I would think this was more a move to save money as I read on one of the boards the Jean Anne Ryan shows were very expensive for the line to rent, buy, whatever.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

If there is going to be a change, I would imagine it would take place at the expiration of Oceania's contract with JAR. That could be fairly soon, or it could be a couple of years down the road.

Entertainment contracts are quite frangible.

Honestly, the change was not that noticable, good or bad. They are both quite formulaic.

In the case of Norwegian, the JAR shows were tired and wearing thin.

Since NCL has their own dance studio, perhaps they could come up with some smaller version of their big shows for Regent and/or Oceania. It seems that entertainment is pretty low on the list of what is important to passengers on Oceania and Regent. We go if there is nothing better to do (and there usually is). IMO, the best shows on Regent are their take on Cirque Du Soleil but even that becomes old after a while. Have yet to attend a show on Oceania as we find the theater uncomfortable (on the Riviera).

You may be looking thru the wrong end of the telescope. :p

I have never been to a show on Oceania where the theater wasn't nearly or totally full.

Guess I'm one of those spoiled Regent folks who want a sofa, table in front of me and someone serving included cocktails. ;) Seriously, may try a show on our upcoming cruise. There is little for us to do in the Caribbean so we'll spend a lot of time on the ship. On the other hand, you've already taken a picture of the theater so I really don't need to go there (okay - just kidding).

Entertainment contracts are quite frangible.

Honestly, the change was not that noticable, good or bad. They are both quite formulaic.

In the case of Norwegian, the JAR shows were tired and wearing thin.

OK...if you say so. You've seen the contract between JAR and Oceania or similar cruise ship production contracts? Let's remember, it takes a big investment of time and money to put on a production show. That's one the reasons the same shows can run for years and years on cruise ships, with at most minor changes to songs/dances/costumes from year to year. Given that reality I seriously doubt it would be that easy to break the contracts. NCL didn't walk away from JAR at the snap of a finger. The changeover was gradual.

Personally, I liked the JAR shows on NCL better than the in house productions. YMMV.

I just came across a website called "TravelPulse" that listed all the officers of the new NCL Holdings company including the Prestige Division. Since it is now published online I decided to repeat it here:

With Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises now part of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings, a new management team was formed with some executives departing and some getting new responsibilities.

Let’s start at the top. Kevin Sheehan is CEO and president of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd., the parent company of Norwegian Cruise Line and Prestige Cruise Holdings Inc.

Oceania founder Frank J. Del Rio remains CEO of Prestige Cruise Holdings Inc., the parent company of Oceania and Regent.

Drew Madsen is the new president and COO of Norwegian Cruise Line. Hired in October, he joined Norwegian from Darden Restaurants, which operates chain restaurants including Olive Garden and Yard House.

Kunal S. Kamlani remains president and COO of Prestige Cruise Holdings, overseeing Oceania and Regent.

Bob Binder, vice chairman of Prestige and a member of the founding management team of Oceania, is departing the company.

Andy Stuart remains executive vice president at Norwegian Cruise Line, now only overseeing sales for that line. However, Stuart also becomes executive vice president of international sales and charters, meetings and incentives, in the new Shared Services division that includes all three cruise brands. He will work with Francis Riley, who becomes senior vice president-international; he was based in the U.K. but is relocating to Miami.

Camille Olivere, who was senior vice president-sales for Norwegian, has left the company.

James Rodriguez, who is senior vice president for Prestige Cruise Holdings, is leaving the company. His last day is Nov. 21. For most of his 12 years with the company, he was senior vice president of sales and marketing at Oceania. He also was heading up the Explorer Launch Team at Regent to prepare for the new ship due out in 2016.

“Speaking as a founding member of Oceania Cruises it is a very proud day for many of us,” Rodriguez told TravelPulse. “We worked very hard for this day to happen despite all the odds being against us in the beginning.”

Michael Hirsch, senior vice president of sales for Oceania, is retiring. Nikki Upshaw, who was vice president of field sales, moves up to senior vice president of sales for Oceania.

Randall Soy remains senior vice president of sales for Regent.

Maria Miller remains senior vice president-marketing for Norwegian Cruise Line.

Harry Sommer is senior vice president and chief marketing officer at Prestige.

Other appointments in the Shared Services division are Michael Flesch, executive vice president-shipboard operations, and Crane Gladding, senior vice president-passenger services

Jay in Tucson

• 2 weeks later...
OK... does this guy know the job won't be replaced? :p

If your friend is Andy... he just needs a bigger plate. :o

Norwegian Cruise Line announced today that Nathan Hickman, formerly vice president of national accounts for Oceania Cruises, is joining the line as vice president, national accounts and field sales effective January 1, 2015.

“Nathan has a wealth of experience in sales, in particular with national accounts and an extremely strong reputation in the industry,” said Andy Stuart, executive vice president of sales for Norwegian Cruise Line. “We are also pleased that in addition to managing national accounts, he will be taking on the new challenge of managing our sales team and ensuring Norwegian has an absolutely industry leading world class sales force.”

Hickman joined Oceania Cruises in early 2003 and was part of the startup team for the company as the first person hired into the sales team. He managed inside sales in 2003, international sales in 2004 and moved to national accounts in 2005. At Oceania, he also established and oversaw the onboard future sales program, along with Oceania Cruises’ loyalty program, the Oceania Club.

Hickman will report to Stuart and be part of the North American sales leadership teamthat includes Alex Pinelo, vice president, key accounts; Clark Reber, director, industry development; Glen Rothe, director, sales operations and Katina Athinasiou, vice president, charter, meeting and incentive sales. He will be based in Norwegian’s Miami office.

Jancruz1